Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CFL floodlight replacment.

Options
  • 28-01-2010 9:57pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Has anyone used CFL bulbs to replace thier 500w halogen bulb?

I just noticed one today, but am sceptic it would have the same light, considering the low wattage.

It looked similar to this (bulb alone, not the whole floodlight assembly).
    http://www.lemux.co.uk/product.php?id_product=31

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

We tried a few of them. Found the fitting very loose comapred to how a halogen bulb sits. Was not very happy with them. We are looking at some LED solutions at the moment. Expensive to buy , but they would pay for themselves over time , plus no changing bulbs. Ideal for lights that are up a height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

koolkid wrote: »
    We tried a few of them. Found the fitting very loose comapred to how a halogen bulb sits. Was not very happy with them. We are looking at some LED solutions at the moment. Expensive to buy , but they would pay for themselves over time , plus no changing bulbs. Ideal for lights that are up a height.

i thought you were a big fan of them:D
    davelerave

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What gave you that impression?

i thought you were happy with the cfl halogen replacement the last time the subject came up

led should be more suitable eventually

fast warm-up and bulb-life unaffected by frequent switching
    and overall longer life anyway

Possibly before the experiences above.
    If they fit OK they would be fine.
    The halogens are so delicate , so hot & gobble up power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are there LED solutions available atm? Might make more sense than CFL.

Regardless of how careful I am putting in Halogen bulbs, their lifespans seem very short, possibly due to the massive heat they produce inside the floodlight enclosure...

they're out there

http://www.prismlighting.ie/ledfloodlights.html
    metal halide is good if you don't need the fast warm-up or pir

Advertisement