Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound gone

• 28-01-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi, the sound on my desktop pc stopped working earlier today, it was working fine this morning. My operating system is XP.

I have tried a system restore to no avail.
    I ran diagnostics on the sound drivers and they all said they were working fine.
    I have checked the volume is up.
    I have rolled back the sound driver to a previous version.
    I have checked that the speakers work on another computer - they do.
    And I have checked to see if they headphones work - they dont.
    I dont even get the windows alert noises or the startup noise.

I think thats all I have tried so far, can anyone else suggest anything else?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

Did you reboot? Sometimes this happen tpo me but a restart fixes it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Cheers, yeah I did reboot a few times after trying different stuff but to know avail, its strange because it was working about an hour before I noticed it was broken and I can't remember doing anything that might damage it.

If its a problem with the sound card, does anyone know where I might get a replacement in Dublin or online and how difficult they are to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

cobijones wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah I did reboot a few times after trying different stuff but to know avail, its strange because it was working about an hour before I noticed it was broken and I can't remember doing anything that might damage it.

If its a problem with the sound card, does anyone know where I might get a replacement in Dublin or online and how difficult they are to install?

you can oder soundcards from Komplett.ie or maybe in Peats electronics on Parnell st. uld want to make sure u get one that ur MoBo can support (ie. PCI / PCI Express x1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

If the headphones didn't work and you're sure the speakers are ok I'm puttin my money on digital output being turned on. (assuming you have it as an option)

For a start what soundcard and speakers do you have?

I have a Creative Audigy 2 and Boston Acoustics speakers and I have to remember to tick digital output as their digital speakers.

Headphones are 'analog' and don't work unless I uncheck digital output.

How would I find if the digital output is turned on?

The soundcard is Creative Blaster Live 24 bit.

The speakers are just the dell ones that came with the computer

• Advertisement

This is from memory but open windows sound mixer and click options & advance. An advanced button should appear under the main volume slider.
    Open that and see if digital is ticked.

If you don't see the option then it's unlikely the issue.

Found the digital output box , but it wasnt the issue, thanks for the suggestion though.

Was it unchecked?

Check sounds and audio options in control panel too and the audio tab and see that the default device for sound playback is your Creative card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

I have this problem with the soundblaster ii. Cured it every time by changing modes. ie- changing from game mode to enterainment mode.

Thanks for the suggestions lads, I borrowed a portable sound card and got the sound back, so my sound card must be knackered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement