Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodation for 2010/2011 Help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Check out the sharing searches on daft.ie

I did this search here

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

katie007 wrote: »
    Hey im an incoming first year student and didnt apply for campus accomodation because i didn't think i would get the points. But now im 90% sure i will get my first choice of commerce international when the offers come out on monday. I need some help in looking for accomodation near ucd, preferably id like to share a house or appartment with other ucd students.. Some advice needed please..!

hey im doing the same course and lookin for people to live in my gaff in rathmines if ur interested? add me on facebook ryan hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stacerz17

I'm 19, a female and am going to do psychiatric nursing in UCD this year. i want somewhere with other students, preferably in UCD. i dont smoke so a non smoking ouse would be great...:) thanks.....my limit would be 400 a month if there is anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

Yakuza42 wrote: »
    hey im doing the same course and lookin for people to live in my gaff in rathmines if ur interested? add me on facebook ryan hughes.

Theres alota ryan hughes?? where bouts in rathmines... itd only be about a twenty min walk yeah? Im going up to dublin tomorrow to look at places around clonskeagh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi Katie,

I grew up in Clonskeagh and went to UCD. Rathmines to Belfield is considerably more than a 20 minute walk!!

If it's the Portobello Canal end, it's a 50 minute walk. If it's the Tesco end, the walk is about 40 minutes. It's only 20 minues if you run or represented Ireland in the Olympic Walk.

If you wish to walk or cycle, you should aim at Clonskeagh, Goatstown, Stillorgan, Kilmacud, Mount Merrion, Dundrum, Sandyford, Leopardstown, Blackrock, Ranelagh, Rathmines, Milltown and Donnybrook. All of these areas are middle to upper-class, so accommodation won't be cheap.

Transportation is quite good. The Luas would bring Sandyford, Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Dundrum, Milltown, Ranelagh, Rathmines and the City Centre into play.

The nearest Luas stop to campus is a toss-up between Milltown and Windy Arbour. Both are 15-20 minutes from campus on foot.

The bus service is quite good from most angles, while the Dart gets you to Sydney Parade, Booterstown or Blackrock.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi Katie,

I grew up in Clonskeagh and went to UCD. Rathmines to Belfield is considerably more than a 20 minute walk!!

If it's the Portobello Canal end, it's a 50 minute walk. If it's the Tesco end, the walk is about 40 minutes. It's only 20 minues if you run or represented Ireland in the Olympic Walk.

If you wish to walk or cycle, you should aim at Clonskeagh, Goatstown, Stillorgan, Kilmacud, Mount Merrion, Dundrum, Sandyford, Leopardstown, Blackrock, Ranelagh, Rathmines, Milltown and Donnybrook. All of these areas are middle to upper-class, so accommodation won't be cheap.

Transportation is quite good. The Luas would bring Sandyford, Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Dundrum, Milltown, Ranelagh, Rathmines and the City Centre into play.

The nearest Luas stop to campus is a toss-up between Milltown and Windy Arbour. Both are 15-20 minutes from campus on foot.

The bus service is quite good from most angles, while the Dart gets you to Sydney Parade, Booterstown or Blackrock.

Ohh thank you! I was only hedging my bets, i wouldnt have a clue! I'm not from Dublin. Im a country girl:o Yes ive already figured out accomodation won't be cheap, soo im trying to find somewhere as near as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I reckon that the Students Union in Belfield might be helpful. The windows of shops and newsagents can be useful too. And there's DAFT of course.

Some of my friends rented "digs" in Mount Merrion and Stillorgan. Your liberty might be restricted (fussy old ladies) and sometimes your friends' visits could produce a frown. However, they'd put a meal on the table and probably wash your clothes.

Ranelagh and Rathmines has a reputation for cheaper housing. The housing stock would be "older" and some houses require some extensive TLC. If you're not fussy, I'd aim for there. The selection of restaurants, takeaways and pubs is excellent. Plus you can avail of the Luas, buses and a taxi rank.

Where in the country are you from? The M50 motorway is reasonably near campus if you drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mooshoo_7

Hey just wondering if anyone knows the room layout in Roebuck Hall apartments?I'm booking a room online but I'd rather not have a room next to the living area in case there are times when I wanna work in my room but there are people over etc. I'm lookin at rooms 1 or 2 as I presume these are the first rooms inside the front door?So rooms 5 and 6 would be beside the living area?If anyone could advise I'd really appreciate it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

can you check in before 6th of September?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

I am starting out in UCD this year, doing the pre-med course. I am looking for any pre med students who are starting this year and are looking for accommodation to share a house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

my photo is me with a box on my head :P same im heading up.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

frser32 wrote: »
    can you check in before 6th of September?

If my memory serves me correctly they're strict about check in and check out so I very much doubt it!

Also, mooshoo 7, in all the roebuck block apartments I was ever in the living area is is the first room you pass when you walk in the door so I assume that if 1 and 2 are the closest to the door that 5 and 6 would be the furthest away from the dor and the living area... At least I think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

If my memory serves me correctly they're strict about check in and check out so I very much doubt it!

Also, mooshoo 7, in all the roebuck block apartments I was ever in the living area is is the first room you pass when you walk in the door so I assume that if 1 and 2 are the closest to the door that 5 and 6 would be the furthest away from the dor and the living area... At least I think so!

Not true. I lived in Roebuck 2 years ago and my apartment was how you described but my friend's had the living room/kitchen as the final room in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mooshoo_7

Thanks for the reply guys.

Just wondering then which bedrooms are furthest from the living area? Also is Roebuck Hall nice?I've never been there so I have no idea but I had friends in glenomena a few years back and they were nice apartments?They don't seem to be available online though.

I'm doin a H.dip in social policy and think my lectures are gonna be in the arts block so I hope Roebuck isn't miles away?!!Campus is ridiculously expensive but I don't mind paying for convenience as long as it's a nice place. The stress of it all!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _ellie_

Hey i know its a bit away from topic but just wondering where would be a good place (if any?!) to live if i wanted to share with friends going to DCU....
    All Suggestions appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dublin Southsid

Hey im an incoming first year student and didnt apply for campus accomodation because i didn't think i would get the points. But now im 90% sure i will get my first choice of commerce international when the offers come out on monday. I need some help in looking for accomodation near ucd, preferably id like to share a house or appartment with other ucd students.. Some advice needed please..!

Hey Katie, my niece who is 18 is starting a first years Arts in UCD in September is looking for a place to share with another girl/girls, maximum rent of €400/month.

If you are interested, I can give you her number and you can discuss.

E

stacerz17 wrote: »
    I'm 19, a female and am going to do psychiatric nursing in UCD this year. i want somewhere with other students, preferably in UCD. i dont smoke so a non smoking ouse would be great...:) thanks.....my limit would be 400 a month if there is anywhere!

Hey Katie, my niece who is 18 is starting a first years Arts in UCD in September is looking for a place to share with another girl/girls, maximum rent of €400/month.

If you are interested, I can give you her number and you can discuss (mod edit - phone number removed)

E

My number - <removed>.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 igas

Apologies in advance if this has been covered already!

My son is going into first architecture and is expecting an email tomorrow about getting campus apartments. Just a few queries:

Does he get a choice or is he allocated a particular apt?
    If he has a choice where would be best?
    Some of his mates also starting there - can he share with them?

Again, apologies if this has been covered. If so can you give me the link?

What are my chances of getting offered campus accommodation tomorrow? I signed onto the priority list last wednesday and was number 2070-ish? I accepted my offer before 5pm yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

What are my chances of getting offered campus accommodation tomorrow? I signed onto the priority list last wednesday and was number 2070-ish? I accepted my offer before 5pm yesterday.

TBH i think that your chances are quite limited, because i believe there are only 700-800 places. But you never know, it's quite possible that a lot of people before you (A)never got a place from UCD, or (b)did not accept before 5 pm. However, i would start to look at housing (daft.ie) other student accomodation digs etc. just to be safe! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mary18

If you are interested, I can give you her number and you can discuss.

E

Heya, im going into 1st year nursing, and was too late for the on campus accomodation as well..was about 2400 maybe...was up in UCD today looking for accomodation, found 2 houses on roebuck road, literally across the road from college, all single rooms €400 a month.
    Id like to share with other first year girls as well as im coming up from munster and the only one from my school going to ucd.
    If your niece was interested you could send me a private message on this and we could get in contact.

stacerz17 wrote: »

Heya, im going into 1st year nursing, and was too late for the on campus accomodation as well..was about 2400 maybe...was up in UCD today looking for accomodation, found 2 houses on roebuck road, literally across the road from college, all single rooms €400 a month.
    Id like to share with other first year girls as well as im coming up from munster and the only one from my school going to ucd.
    If you were interested you could send me a private message on this.

If your niece was interested you could send me a private message on this and we could get in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C1ancy

The floors in merville are probably the hardest thing known to man, its like lying on a bed of diamond, thats all i have to say on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

C1ancy wrote: »
    The floors in merville are probably the hardest thing known to man, its like lying on a bed of diamond, thats all i have to say on this.

They had beds when I lived there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

Hi I accepted my CAO offer to do english in UCD on monday and I had applied for campus accommodation but I was like 1900 on the list.. Apparently the offers for accommodation for those who accepted on monday were supposed to go out at 4 o clock today. I haven't got any emails though I wasn't really expecting any as I was so far down on the list. What I'm wondering is is there any chance of me getting offered campus accommodation at a later stage if I don't get an offer today or should I start looking elsewhere?? :confused:

*EDIT*
    ok so I checked where I was on the waitlist I'm now 67. So do I wait until tomorrow to see if I get an offer??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

A friend of mine was hoping to apply for Roebuck hall today, but can only select "roebuck castle catered" for roebuck, Anyone know why this might be?

[/QUOTE]
    ok so I checked where I was on the waitlist I'm now 67. So do I wait until tomorrow to see if I get an offer??[/QUOTE]

How do you check where you are on the waitlist?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 8888

A friend of mine was hoping to apply for Roebuck hall today, but can only select "roebuck castle catered" for roebuck, Anyone know why this might be?

that happened me aswel, rang ucd but didnt get much help, im presuming that roebuck hall just got booked out ridiculously quickly, ended up having to go with glenomena instead.

Advertisement