Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodation for 2010/2011 Help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Does anyone know if it's ok for me to pay tomorrow even though the deadline is supposed to be today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Hey.

I have a major problem !

I was allocated a room back in June. I was the first person to apply to room booking. I paid the deposit and stuff.

Last Friday, I paid the first instalment for the Merville residence where I was allocated a room.

However, I just checked my account, and I noticed that I wasn't allocated the room anymore. I'm 45 on the waitlist ! Is this a sick joke, because that certainly isn't fair at all !

Plus, I've been trying to call them and it's too late for them to respond.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You might have some e-mail receipts where it shows the room that you were allocated. It's possibly on your UCD Connect email account (by default username = CAO number password = DOB in form ddmmyy). Print this out and bring it to them, along with a signed licence to reside and proof of payment.

Do you think I will be able to get my room back ? Or at least a room ?

Because what they did was quite inappropriate, especially as I have nowhere else to go and school starts in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

MacieC wrote: »
    Hey.

I have a major problem !

I was allocated a room back in June. I was the first person to apply to room booking. I paid the deposit and stuff.

Last Friday, I paid the first instalment for the Merville residence where I was allocated a room.

However, I just checked my account, and I noticed that I wasn't allocated the room anymore. I'm 45 on the waitlist ! Is this a sick joke, because that certainly isn't fair at all !

Plus, I've been trying to call them and it's too late for them to respond.

Thanks.

I looked this morning and thought my room booking was gone because under accommodation in the registration process was blank.

So log into SISWeb, instead of entering registration click on 'information for students' then 'online accommodation menu' and go in as if you're paying fees.

That should detail your allocation. hopefully this sorts it for you :)

I ended up going over to res today to speak to someone [they were too busy to answer phones with everyone moving in] and they'd heard from people trying that there'd been some problems with the payment options and system.

• Advertisement

I tried joining the " waiting list " but it said that due to my current application status (i.e : " Room Allocated "), I couldn't join it. Does this mean I am still allocated the room ?

Was this also displayed on your own account ?

That's crazy.

I'm definitely lost.

Thanks for your response though.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

MacieC wrote: »
    I tried joining the " waiting list " but it said that due to my current application status (i.e : " Room Allocated "), I couldn't join it. Does this mean I am still allocated the room ?

Was this also display on your own account ?

That's crazy.

I'm definitely lost.

Thanks for your response though.

I had the same option to rejoin the wait list. When I called over today to the accommodation office they got me to go through the steps I outlined for you above.

Once they saw the option to pay the fees or view account balance they said it was fine.

At least try it and see!

Thanks.

I see that now.

I'll call tomorrow to clear things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 katybi

You're hearing this from someone who has lived in both...

Belgrove is pretty basic, oven, fridge, single bed, bathroom and shower room. You have 3 single sex rooms but about 3 of the houses have a double room that two people share. It's right next door to the Arts block which means you can get up at 8.50 for a 9am lecture if that's where you are! No shop but there are vending machines and the laundrette is right beside you! Mighty craic and full of super friendly people! RAs were sound last year anyway, not sure about this year! Belgrove was my home away from home last year!

Merville... I live in "New" Merville so it's a lot nicer than Belgrove but not having an oven is a darned pain in the ass! You share with 3 people in single rooms and I'm in a ixed apartment but I think old merville is all single sex. The same stuff as in Belgrove and you pay for your electricity through bills like Belgrove. Old Merville you have to buy cards with credit on them but if they run out while you're in the shower or in the middle of making dinner you have to go shop and get more! Living beside Centra is handy but you end up spending so much money there. Also a little further from the lecture buildings but I mean, you're talking a 5/10 minute walk!

No residence will allow parties or overnight guests unless signed in. It'll say that in your license to reside.

Living on campus is the best thing ever when you're in first year but enjoy it coz when you get to 2nd year, if you're anything like me, you'll be coming home from the Libro at 11pm and hating every single drunk partyer that you meet on the way home :D Personally I'd go with Belgrove just because it felt a lot more like home but that's just from my experience! Any more questions?

Hi i was wondering if i could get some advice....
    I'm an New Zealand student and I'm supposed to come on an exchange to UCD in January for one semester!
    Can anyone tell me the best accomodation...???
    I'm 20 so a little worried that Merville, Belgrove might be a little to young?
    Are the people that stay in them all first years coz i will be doing stage 2 and 3 papers and want a few people around with a bit of a work load haha !!!!
    I want like a place where its easy to make friends and have a good time... where does everyone think is the best for my situation? cheap but nice...

One last thing... if you are on a restricted budget is catered or non cratered better? because in New Zealand if you were sharing an apartment you would go shopping and split the bill ... is that the same over your way?

and on a off note i cant believe UCD has 6 papers per semester, in NZ we do 4 ... im going to die hahah

thanks soooo much.
    :pac::mad: (pacman eating the angry man haha)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 himynameisbob

Konata wrote: »
    Well, you could go up to UCD and look in the window of all the houses - it's very easy to tell which ones are renovated and which ones aren't :rolleyes:.

To make life a bit easier, I'll PM you next week with the numbers of the renovated houses and you can keep it nice and safe till August =).

hi there! in the off chance that you see this post before the UCD system goes back up, could i please grab a list of the renovated merville house numbers too?
    cheers xo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

Hi guys, I'm doing the Leaving at the moment and I'm hoping to go to UCD in September to study Engineering. I'm just confused with regards to booking accommodation. Can I book a room now? I've my name down on the "UCD Residences Accommodation Application" and it tells me I'm number one thousand-something in the queue. So when can I book a room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

hi there! in the off chance that you see this post before the UCD system goes back up, could i please grab a list of the renovated merville house numbers too?
    cheers xo

Houses 15-26 are the upgraded ones, they'll all be upgraded eventually.
    Same with Belgrove, some of Belgroves already been done actually.

Hi guys, I'm doing the Leaving at the moment and I'm hoping to go to UCD in September to study Engineering. I'm just confused with regards to booking accommodation. Can I book a room now? I've my name down on the "UCD Residences Accommodation Application" and it tells me I'm number one thousand-something in the queue. So when can I book a room?

You can't get a room until you know you will be a UCD student first.
    Either you will be able to book a room when you accept your CAO offer or you will be on the waiting list.
    Untill you know what happens with your CAO your in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

You can't get a room until you know you will be a UCD student first.
    Either you will be able to book a room when you accept your CAO offer or you will be on the waiting list.
    Untill you know what happens with your CAO your in limbo.

Alright cheers, just the answer I was looking for! Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 moppethead

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether House 18 is renovated??

Thanks heaps!!

Emily

moppethead wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether House 18 is renovated??

Thanks heaps!!

Emily

Yes, 15-26 are.

katybi wrote: »
    Hi i was wondering if i could get some advice....
    I'm an New Zealand student and I'm supposed to come on an exchange to UCD in January for one semester!
    Hey, sorry I just saw this now.

Can anyone tell me the best accomodation...???
    Glenomena, all the Aussies, yanks and NZs last year seemed to be there.
    I'm 20 so a little worried that Merville, Belgrove might be a little to young?
    It doesn't really work that way anymore everythings very spread out.
    Thing about Belgrove is it can get a little over the top noisy, sometimes people that live there just don't know how to have a night in on the sofa now and then, every nights party night, and it wears thin after a while.
    Glenomena and Roebuck and Merville its mostly Monday and Wed that are the party nights.

Don't be too alarmed if its overly noisy, in first few weeks thats normal and it settles down a bit then, also most of the time its people having predrinks before going out to a club so they be gone by 12.
    If they're taking the piss with the noise levels, well thats what the boys in blue (RA's... literally boys (and girls) in blue) are for.

Are the people that stay in them all first years coz i will be doing stage 2 and 3 papers and want a few people around with a bit of a work load haha !!!!
    I want like a place where its easy to make friends and have a good time... where does everyone think is the best for my situation? cheap but nice...

Glenomena defo, since you be coming in for Jan you will be able to see by hovering the mouse over the blue (i) who else is in the apt and then you can choose where you wanna go as you can see in the picture below.

ggggggggggggp.png
    One last thing... if you are on a restricted budget is catered or non cratered better? because in New Zealand if you were sharing an apartment you would go shopping and split the bill ... is that the same over your way?

No apt I've ever known has shared the same shopping bill and trip unless they were a group of friends living together.
    Catered food is apparently very nice and not the same muck they serve in the restaurant, but its 2 meals a day, so its a judgement call for you whether that is enough, and for an extra €1000 or so.
    Personally I prefer to buy my own food.

The Centra UCD has student conscious prices (remember Centra is a franchise different shops can have different prices). Down the street near St Vincents Hospital (a UCD hospital) there is Tesco Merrion which always has great deals. If you get the 39a bus from inside campus to the city centre there is an Aldi and Lidil in parnell street.

and on a off note i cant believe UCD has 6 papers per semester, in NZ we do 4 ... im going to die hahah
    I've had semesters where I did 2, and semesters where I did 8.

Thanks heaps! Do you know what the differences are between the old ones and the renovated ones?
    Thanks so much

Emily

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hi, is it possible to see who's in your apartment once you've booked? Or is it only when you're applying? I've already booked so I don't think I can find out who's in the apartment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

Hi, is it possible to see who's in your apartment once you've booked? Or is it only when you're applying? I've already booked so I don't think I can find out who's in the apartment!

Would also like to know this

Nope, only when booking I think.
    Don't be worrying most people are fine and as I said on another thread if they're not thats what the boys in blue are for

moppethead wrote: »
    Thanks heaps! Do you know what the differences are between the old ones and the renovated ones?
    Thanks so much

Emily

Nicer desks, no actual keys you have smartcards instead to get in, better insulation just has a nicer feel to it.
    The older ones are not a dump or anything, it was just time for an upgrade.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I just logged onto SISWEB and my room assignment has changed. I'm now in House 20, rather than 18. Is house 20 renovated? I'm really worried, why would they changed the assignment when I picked one as soon as I could?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 panda92

i'm 329 on the waiting list and i still haven't got that email from ucd.. other people seem to have been offered places..do i have to register before i can book my accommodation??..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

panda92 wrote: »
    i'm 329 on the waiting list and i still haven't got that email from ucd.. other people seem to have been offered places..do i have to register before i can book my accommodation??..

I think those who have gotten places already are in years other than incoming 1st year. They were sorted a while ago.

cucbuc wrote: »
    I think those who have gotten places already are in years other than incoming 1st year. They were sorted a while ago.

oh i see.. ok i'll wait patiently until I do get that email.. thank you for letting me know.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

No prob, am helping a family member thru the process, so learning as we go. I just realised the other day, just in case you arent aware, that the email comes to your "ucd connect email", which you can see if you log into it using your cao number and your dob- not sure that it goes to your normal email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Yes, 15-26 are.
    You're talking about Merville, right?

Also, I hear those renovated houses are up to Glenomena standard, is that true?
    I still don't know whether to pick Merville or Glenomena :\

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Just booked Roebuck there, woohoo:D
    Dont know a soul going to UCD though:p

TIP:
    When you log into sisweb, dont start the registration process, click on student services across the top and select accomodation or whatever it says. From there, it's easy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Belgrove or merville aren't appearing for me ! Are they booked out ?

Belgrove or merville aren't appearing for me ! Are they booked out ?

that happened to me at the start.. keep reloading and you'll eventually get them up..

• Advertisement

cucbuc wrote: »
    No prob, am helping a family member thru the process, so learning as we go. I just realised the other day, just in case you arent aware, that the email comes to your "ucd connect email", which you can see if you log into it using your cao number and your dob- not sure that it goes to your normal email address.

thank you so so much.. don't think i would have got it with out you ha.. is 22 renovated in merville do you know??..

Advertisement