Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodation for 2010/2011 Help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

panda92 wrote: »
    thank you so so much.. don't think i would have got it with out you ha.. is 22 renovated in merville do you know??..
    15-26 are renovated apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

Okay, I'm very very confused. In Belgrove/Merville/Glenomena, does everyone have their own bedroom? I know I sound snobby but I actually cannot share a room with anyone, I just need my own space! :L

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's not snobby that's fairly normal! Some houses in Berlin have twin rooms, but they're in the minority, and the system should clearly state its a twin room. Glenomena has ensuites as well, for that extra "space", whereas in Belgrove and Merville you share bathrooms (in Belgrove, 3 share one bathroom, in Merville, 4 share 2 bathrooms).

Ah thats grand so!
    One more question, what exactly do we need? I've bedlinen and plates and cutlery and stuff but I've heard people talking about buying ironing boards, bins, pots and pans..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You need pots and pans, as well as cutlery, but you don't need to buy bins! Binliners however, are essential!

Not sure about ironing boards I don't think you get one when you arrive so if you need one you could split the cost with your housemates if they want it too! Also, there's no iron so you'd need an iron!

You need bedlinen also but you get the duvet and pillow as far as I know, you just need sheets and bedlinen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

panda92 wrote: »
    thank you so so much.. don't think i would have got it with out you ha.. is 22 renovated in merville do you know??..

Thats good , glad to help. Must say boards is a great source of info alright. Dont know which ones renovated, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Me and my friend went to but into the same room. I got in fine but my friends account lodged his depost THREE times before proceeding to NOT give him the room. He's going to call tomorrow... Hopefully they will cancel the payments and, almost as importantly, he keeps the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Does anyone know why I'm moving back up the list I just went from 521 to 524.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jandek

Does the email from UCD offering your accommodation place go to your regular email address or not? If not, where does it go?
    Also, I'm 1050 roughly in the waiting list, (checked Monday, can't see now) do I stand a good chance of getting accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

It goes to your regular too... Check the junk box

• Advertisement

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    It goes to your regular too... Check the junk box

thanks, no luck yet, here's hoping for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

moppethead wrote: »
    Hi,

I just logged onto SISWEB and my room assignment has changed. I'm now in House 20, rather than 18. Is house 20 renovated? I'm really worried, why would they changed the assignment when I picked one as soon as I could?

Apparently there's a "structural" problem with House 17 and the people who had been chosen accom in that house (my brother was one of them) have had to be moved. That might have something to do with you being shuffled over to another house. I lived in House 17 the year before last, wonder what happened to it >_>

And yes, 20 is renovated as far as I remember.
    ._. wrote: »
    You're talking about Merville, right?

Also, I hear those renovated houses are up to Glenomena standard, is that true?
    I still don't know whether to pick Merville or Glenomena :\

The renovated ones are very similiar to Roebuck/Glenomena. Merville is still 4 bed as opposed to 6 bed and 2 bathrooms as opposed to ensuites but they're of the same "newness" I guess. Neither have ovens, as is the new standard. Renovated Merville is pretty nice - and a huge difference in comparison to the old apartments!

'Your UCD application has advanced to a point where you may not use this service to join the accommodation waitlist. Instead, you may book your accommodation at UCD Student Residences by using the Accommodation section of the online registration process or, if your registration is completed, visiting the Information for Students > Online Accommodation Menu section of UCD SISweb.'

Does this mean I am in or what? My gmail inbox is still empty.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rt123

i've been reloading the ucd rooming booking page for ages and only the blackrock accommodation is coming up.
    I want to stay in Belgrade or Merville
    Are they booked up?
    By the way im around 700 on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

rt123 wrote: »
    i've been reloading the ucd rooming booking page for ages and only the blackrock accommodation is coming up.
    Are they booked up?

You want to stay in the capital of Serbia? :pac:

Are they booked up?

mind sending me a link for the room booking page? UCD website is hard enough to navigate without the flu. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lh1964

When i went online after getting email yesterday all that came up were blackrock and mucross; we didnt realise if u logged out and back in on campus places might come up so went ahead and booked muckross although didnt want to be off campus as in first year, not from dublin etc.; paid deposit too.
    Looking at this thread now i realise could have possibly been offered campus place if i had relogged in, just didnt know that; i wonder is there any way to remedy this
    will ring accomadation office in am to try and change but not hopeful
    very confusing system
    any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

lh1964 wrote: »
    When i went online after getting email yesterday all that came up were blackrock and mucross; we didnt realise if u logged out and back in on campus places might come up so went ahead and booked muckross although didnt want to be off campus as in first year, not from dublin etc.; paid deposit too.
    Looking at this thread now i realise could have possibly been offered campus place if i had relogged in, just didnt know that; i wonder is there any way to remedy this
    will ring accomadation office in am to try and change but not hopeful
    very confusing system
    any advice?
    If you can't change it, don't worry - I was in Muckross last year and it's probably a better place to go on your own and make new friends because of the constant interaction with others (you eat together and it's great craic hanging out together in the TV room after dinner). We found ourselves staying in most nights, ordering in pizza and getting slabs of beer instead of venturing out, and it really was 10 times better. However, the food isn't the healthiest- hope you like chips...!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

uppishhauk wrote: »
    if you are in the first year category then you wait till the offers come out and if you get into ucd and then you pick your room but if you are in any other category you get to pick your room straight away as people in the other categories already know they will be in ucd etc

Does anyone know Would Deferrals be in 'any other category'? like im thinking of deferring for a year to save for expenses to help out the parents so would i get to pick my room before next years first years?

Does anyone know Would Deferrals be in 'any other category'? like im thinking of deferring for a year to save for expenses to help out the parents so would i get to pick my room before next years first years?
    If you've already accepted your offer of a place on the CAO, it's too late to defer.
    http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/general_regs.html#Deferring
    Students who wish to defer a place they have been offered through the CAO should do the following:
    • Do NOT accept your offer of a place through the CAO.
    • Send your CAO offer immediately to the Admissions Office, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4 with a letter giving the following information:
      • Your name, address and contact telephone number
      • CAO Number.
      • Course Offered.
      • Reason for wishing to defer.

• The letter should normally arrive in the Admissions Office at least two days before the "Reply Date" shown on the offer notice.
      • The following year you must apply again via CAO placing the deferred course as the only preference on your CAO form and advise the Admissions Office of your new application number. You will then receive an offer in early July.
      TBH I think you'd be better off taking the plunge now- there aren't a whole lot of jobs going round for getting extra moolah and most gap years I've heard about have been a waste of time

• Advertisement

i've already accepted.. but it says you can ring up and still get a deferral..
      yea see two of my friends skipped ty and were in college last year but one dropped out of college and the other got another offer after rechecks.. the two of them got handy enough jobs.. :/

i've already accepted.. but it says you can ring up and still get a deferral..
      yea see two of my friends skipped ty and were in college last year but one dropped out of college and the other got another offer after rechecks.. the two of them got handy enough jobs.. :/
      I'd really only take a year out if you absolutely cannot afford college right now- people get lazy, they forget study habits, they get complacent in their new job and don't particularly want to go back to education. There's plenty time to work and travel after college, and you'll have 3.5 months in the summer to work and save money, and also time after lectures during the week and on the weekends. I just think it's a waste of your time.

to be honest, i want to work and save so i can get on campus accomodation next year.. ill only get one shot at college at this age and i want to make it count.. im dead set on going to college so i wont be one of those lazy people.. its just i want to make college worth it.. not just going for the acedemic side of it.. i want to enjoy it! be able to participate in events, not having to worry about getting buses home and all.. and i just want to leave home.

Are they booked up?

How are you able to book a room if you're only 700 on the list?!

In the renovated merville houses, I know they don't have ovens but is there any sort of hob or anything that you can cook on? :/

Shonagh wrote: »
      In the renovated merville houses, I know they don't have ovens but is there any sort of hob or anything that you can cook on? :/

Yep there's hobs, and probably a microwave as well. Ovens are overrated, you can cook a lot without ovens, unless you love chicken or something - if you really need an oven, you can buy a countertop oven from Argos or a similar shop! My friend has one at home and it's all he uses, despite having an normal oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitdebhail

i almost had a heart failure this morning when i logged on and only saw off campus accommodation. i was panicking and ringing the ucd accommodation office (who never answered and didn't even have a voicemail) so i came on to boards.ie after emailing them. i knew my window was gonna close at 4pm and i really didn't want to stay off campus since i'm coming up on my own from Kerry. thank god i came on to boards anyways cos i realised that if i log out and log back in, theres a chance newer accommodation will come up.. and it did. Roebuck and Glenomena both came up and i'm booked into Glenomena now, deposit down and just waiting to register. i think you can register at 3pm? this whole system is a bit off and very awkward but i'm happy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

i almost had a heart failure this morning when i logged on and only saw off campus accommodation. i was panicking and ringing the ucd accommodation office (who never answered and didn't even have a voicemail) so i came on to boards.ie after emailing them. i knew my window was gonna close at 4pm and i really didn't want to stay off campus since i'm coming up on my own from Kerry. thank god i came on to boards anyways cos i realised that if i log out and log back in, theres a chance newer accommodation will come up.. and it did. Roebuck and Glenomena both came up and i'm booked into Glenomena now, deposit down and just waiting to register. i think you can register at 3pm? this whole system is a bit off and very awkward but i'm happy now!

Do you have to put the deposit down straight away or do you have within the next few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitdebhail

Do you have to put the deposit down straight away or do you have within the next few hours?

i paid mine straight away, 350euro deposit! they said that if you don't pay once you see your room, you could lose that room

• Advertisement

I'm 220 on the list atm, have i any hope? :/

Advertisement