Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Board Question

Options
  • 28-01-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a renovation coming up.

Old 2 Storey house with new wiring upstairs and new esb meter and new consumer board.
    The upstairs is a self contained flat with kitchen, immersion, electric shower etc.

Now we want to up the downstairs. New wiring required.

I think the consumer board is nearly full. So is the best route to have a second consumer board for downstairs flat or change the other one to a bigger one?

This project is under major budget restraints and we are just pricing it.

Out of interest if i was to pull all the correct cables (and chase all walls), would an electrician take on the rest of the job. i.e 2nd fix.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

normally they're separate boards and provision is made for separate metering

supply capacity can be an issue when premises is divided into 'units'
    eg:you may have an instantaneous shower in each flat and they may operate simultaneously on an existing 12kva supply

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Thanks for the reply,

Regards the sub meter, that won't be issue at the current time.

The 2 showers won't be a great deal hopefully, plan to get a device that only allows one to operate at any one time..

So does the new board go through the original board, like a shed? Or does the supply come from the incoming esb?
    Just would like to know before I get any quotes so i'm not clueless.. Thanks again

if you have a standard 12kva supply everything will be fed from the 'consumers' main protective device(ie:the 63amp switch fuse)

try to decide first if you need provision for separate metering later, as this will affect the 'design' of the job

davelerave

M cebee wrote: »
    if you have a standard 12kva supply everything will be fed from the 'consumers' main protective device(ie:the 63amp switch fuse)

try to decide first if you need provision for separate metering later, as this will affect the 'design' of the job

davelerave

Thanks for your help.

A separate meter won't be required (famous last words!).

So is this the unit that will be the best job for me..

http://www.voltimum.ie/news/8162/cm/abb-s-range-of-priority-non-priority-shower-boards.html
    H-1153

The consumer unit with the non priority shower board enclosed..

that or the manual alternative.

4-pole(2no/2nc) contactor with 2-way switches or 1 push timer

can be better sometimes

there was a drawing here a while ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

btw i think you could save money by chasing the walls yourself, but installing the cables would be best left to the electrician.

I still dont get your metering arrangement TBH. If it's two flats you are required to have a meter for each one, you cant sell electricity on to someone else, however i may have picked you up wrong.

best of luck with it

Stoner wrote: »
    btw i think you could save money by chasing the walls yourself, but installing the cables would be best left to the electrician.

I still dont get your metering arrangement TBH. If it's two flats you are required to have a meter for each one, you cant sell electricity on to someone else, however i may have picked you up wrong.

best of luck with it

It's a family arrangement,we have a current average usage for upstairs, which is pretty stable, and will work work out the extra electricity used downstairs from this..

Thanks for the advise on chasing.

M cebee wrote: »
    that or the manual alternative.

4-pole(2no/2nc) contactor with 2-way switches or 1 push timer

can be better sometimes

there was a drawing here a while ago

Thanks,
    I read the other thread, very informative.
    I will get a price on the manual option as the consumer board with a non priority is still fairly pricey. The other thread would appear to rate the manual option better too.
    Also read it on the reci website about the manual option.
    Thanks again.

the single push and contactor is prob the handiest(+standard isolators)

as stoner said don't waste your time pulling cables( unless under sparkies guidance )as the mistakes made usually offset any gains.

don't know if there's any specific rules about separate metering?
    but suitable 'supply capacity ' and separate board would be required anyway

mixer showers,gas cooking and central heating would be a help anyhow in that regard-things can get tricky if the 12kva is overloaded and no provision to upgrade or separate metering

Thanks for all your help.

I will find out for definite what supply is to the house.

They are good tips re gas cooking and the like. I suppose just getting rid off the electric shower and having a mixer one would be the best and safest option.

The project won't be kicking off until June anyway. Just planning at the moment for it and trying to figure out the best and cost effective options!

• Advertisement
Advertisement