Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Now Offering 24MB Broadband

Options
  • 28-01-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I just saw on Eircom.ie that they are now offering 24MB Broadband. My exchange is not yet upgraded so I can't order it. Let me know if anyone is odering it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It only gives that speed at less than 1km from Exchange. At average 3km you will be lucky to get 10Mbps and 7Mbps is more likely.

Less than 10% of population can get this, and most of them can get cheaper UPC (Chorus/NTL) which will soon be offering 120Mbps. The UPC Coax cable system is only limited by how many are on a segment of cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Reports on boards suggest that getting the full 7.6 mbps on ADSL1 is the norm and not the exception right up to 3 km. 10 mbps on ADSL2+ is a very conservative estimate, though it does continue to degrade quickly after that distance.

I think the estimate is a bit pessimistic but it does bear consideration, and also it's very difficult to get >20 mbps to many people as with the way wires travel and cabinets etc, most lines are over 1/2 or 1 km long at minimum before they reach a premises. Certainly in large towns and cities anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

so guys, you are saying that i wont get a 24mb speed if i order one, am i correct? i live in Enniscorthy town Co Wexford, i currently on 7mb speed, and i do get 6mb in evenings, so i better do not upgrade or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How far are you from the exchange ??

how do i found about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hmm interesting. Im about 5 minute walk from the exchange. And I walk really slow. Anyone have a price ?

€70 a month in a bundle and €48 standalone.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How far are you from the exchange ??
    how to find out about exchange??

use this tool to find your long and lat and town and I could Pm you a very good guess.

http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any way of finding out when exchanges are due to be enabled?, they supposidly put a fiber ring around my town 2 years ago as part of e-towns, not sure if they layed the cabels but the dug up every footpath.

• Advertisement

Not really. Any exchanges enabled nowadays have ADSL2 installed and will offer 24mbits.

Around alf of all enabled exchanges have older ADSL1 ( max 8mbit) technology and eircom is not systematically upgrading them save the very large ones.

There are 1200 exchanges nationally. Eircom installs maybe 10-20 new ones a year nationwide.

900 are enabled.

400-450 are ADSL1 (Max 8mbit) and 450-500 are ADSL2 (max 24mbit)

PM sent, you can edit your own precise location into that link to confirm the map is working , look closely at it.

Yahoo maps are much better than Google maps because they show Irish roads accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Calvatron

Hiya lads. Upgraded from 7mb connection to 24mb connection a few days ago. They told me I was only capable of getting 15mb on my line, (not far from the exchange) I'm in Ennis. I was using a Belkin router which was working a treat. When they upgraded me the belkin was saying I was getting 10mb. So I switched to their new Zyxel router. When I did it was saying 15mb. Now every speed test I did suggested I was closer to 10mb. Am I being paranoid? My 3rd party router was more in line with all speed tests I did. So I would say avoid the 24mb connection if you have the 7mb. Very little difference. Funny thing. The eircom supplied router and eircom speed test kept putting me around 13mb but every other independent source suggested otherwise. Anyone else experience anything like this? The Zyxel router is apparently rubbish just like the Netopia previously. I conducted all the speedtests from speedtest.net. They're pretty reliable right?

[QUOTE=Calvatron;6491 Am I being paranoid? [/QUOTE]

Not when you use a proper router instead of a Belkin no.

It seems eircom are profiling their 24mbits as they provision it and they give people up to 12 or up to 17 , they can even go up to 20.

This is a fixed throttle to stabilise the line.

Ring BB support ( not 1901) and tell them to change to the up to 17 profile and it should change within the hour. If not then reboot router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭mrdmb

I got my speed upgraded to 24Mb but using both the Zyxel and Netopnia router i can get upto 15Mb speed....but he Zyxel router is crap cuz the wireless range is so poor..

I got my bill from Eircom charging me at 250 euros..! saying 2 months rental and installation fees plus VAT...thats crazy for sure...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is there any website where I can enter my telephone number and get back the availability of speeds? I am on one of the newer exchanges so 24mb should be available.

Advertisement