Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning off Adaware

• 29-01-2010 12:05am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.:)
    Just wondering is it possible to do something to Adaware (Lavasoft) so that it doesn't switch on automatically when I turn on my pc (Dell Dimension with MS XP).
    Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yes, there is an option in the settings for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It you download and install CCleaner, go to tools -> startup programs it will give you a list of all startup programs. You can then disable/remove the ones you don't want to start automatically
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

*EDIT: This was my 4000th post so you better like it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Open Ad-Watch --> On the Real-time protection status screen --> Go to Settings --> Uncheck "Load Ad-Watch at startup".

This will disable Ad-Watch until you manually want to turn it on.

This turns off Ad-Watch, so it is not loaded with windows however you can still run adaware manually for scans

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Yes, there is an option in the settings for this.
    I've looked in settings before and found nothing but I'll have another look.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    It you download and install CCleaner, go to tools -> startup programs it will give you a list of all startup programs. You can then disable/remove the ones you don't want to start automatically
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

*EDIT: This was my 4000th post so you better like it ;)
    A most wonderful post and I like it a lot.
    Thanks MP.:p

I have CCleaner installed but never thought it could help me with this.
    I did try MSCONFIG before but that didn't help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hello again.
    Well I tried everyones suggestions but Adaware is still switching on at start up.
    I have the free version of this program.
    Would that be why I can't switch it off?

Thanks again.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Hi, Hermy :)

Try this:

Type "services.msc" (minus commas) in the run box. Locate Adaware in the pane, and double-click it. Then locate "Startup type" under the "General" tab, and set it to disabled. Should do the trick.

Thanks Cap'n.:)
    I'll let you know if it works.

EDIT: Indeed it does work.
    Thanks again James.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I've been using Selective Start Up for a while now to stop stuff loading but when I switchbed back to Normal start Up tonight and unticked any boxes not required but leaving my usual ones, rebooted and it was back in Selective Start Up again, repeated proceedure and still no joy.:confused:

Need to stop adaware from loading at startup also.............. but should I allow my anti virus to load up at start up or not. (avast)

decisions decisions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I've been using Selective Start Up for a while now to stop stuff loading but when I switchbed back to Normal start Up tonight and unticked any boxes not required but leaving my usual ones, rebooted and it was back in Selective Start Up again, repeated proceedure and still no joy.:confused:

Need to stop adaware from loading at startup also.............. but should I allow my anti virus to load up at start up or not. (avast)

decisions decisions!
    Normal Startup is defined as having all startup items and services ready to run. Anything disabled is Selective Startup.

Advertisement