Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wife/family wants a dog. Please advise

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Completely OT but whenever I see your username, OP, then I must smile :D.

I am German and a Macker is a castrated donkey in my language :D.

As I said: completely OT ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

EGAR wrote: »
    Completely OT but whenever I see your username, OP, then I must smile :D.

I am German and a Macker is a castrated donkey in my language :D.

As I said: completely OT ;)

Thanks for the bit of info. You learn something new everyday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi

i have 2 dogs. i got one as a pup and it kinda destroyed a lot of stuff and a lot of toilet training accidents. i got a 3yr rescue dog last year and i have to say she is a super dog. neutered, housetrained and very obedient. i would say from what you say you would suit a dog that you can take walking, playing ball with. Cav king charles is not a very active dog and come with health problems from overbreeding. i see some fab dogs on some rescue sites. cross between a lab/retriever and a collie. i advise you to go to a few rescue centres and it might take a few visits but when you meet a few dogs you will realise when you meet the dog that is for you.
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Brief Update.....

We paid another visit out to DogsTrust today as we were in the local area. We may have picked our new pet dog as we came across a Labrador X Boxer ( not sure If I'm using the correct term so forgive me if I'm wrong) which was showing off by having a great play with the other dog in its kennel. We took Bruno out for a walk and had a good chat with the nice folks at DogsTrust who were very helpful. The next steps are visiting with the kids at the weekend and having a home inspection on Monday. Providing everything goes well we will hopefully be welcoming our new family member on the following Saturday. Bruno is 14 months old and quite playful with a gentle nature. He and his brother were sent for re-homing just before Dec last year as the owners were emigrating.

Fingers crossed he will like it down here in Ballivor. I will upload pictures when available.
    Thanks for all the advice received on this thread / forum. I've no doubt I will be back asking for more........:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Macker1 wrote: »
    Brief Update.....

We paid another visit out to DogsTrust today as we were in the local area. We may have picked our new pet dog as we came across a Labrador X Boxer ( not sure If I'm using the correct term so forgive me if I'm wrong) which was showing off by having a great play with the other dog in its kennel. We took Bruno out for a walk and had a good chat with the nice folks at DogsTrust who were very helpful. The next steps are visiting with the kids at the weekend and having a home inspection on Monday. Providing everything goes well we will hopefully be welcoming our new family member on the following Saturday. Bruno is 14 months old and quite playful with a gentle nature. He and his brother were sent for re-homing just before Dec last year as the owners were emigrating.

Fingers crossed he will like it down here in Ballivor. I will upload pictures when available.
    Thanks for all the advice received on this thread / forum. I've no doubt I will be back asking for more........:)

I am delighted for you Macker, hope it all goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

That's great Macker. I hope it all works out well for you. I'm pretty sure we walked Bruno when we were looking for our second dog. He was a dote but unfortunately not the right companion for our first dog. Really hope it works out for you and him.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

I'd say he's absolutely gorgeous, great cross of breeds, and hopefully he'll fit right into your family!

Update. The home visit happened on Monday and everything is in place. Going down to Dogstrust in the morning for a Dog Welfare meeting and then Bruno will be coming home to stay. Really looking forward to having him home. I will take some pictures and put them up over the weekend.

Thanks for all the advice which was a great help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

That's brilliant. Congrats.

• Advertisement

Well Folks, we collected Bruno this morning and he is back home with us. He is without a doubt the quietest dog I have ever come across. He doesn't make a sound. He travelled very well in the car with no issues whatsoever. Just letting him do his own thing at the moment as he finds his way in the new surroundings. For a few hours he just lay down near the front door without wishing to venture anywhere else in the house. That said he has now progressed into the sitting room and had lay down quietly on the rug beside the sofa. He had a portion of food and some water and that seemed to go well. I did bring him out the back to the garden but he seemed quite nervous so he came back in after a couple of minutes. I will bring him out for a good walk later before coming back in to settle down for the evening in front of the fire.

Only one accident involving going to the toilet in the hallway but I expect this is down to being in new surroundings.

Here is a picture of the new addition to the family.

Bruno.jpg:)

I must add my thanks to the folks at Dogstrust and the fine work that they do in caring for the dogs in their facility. A very detailed handover meeting this morning and they are always at the end of the phone if advice is needed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh he is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    God, he's so gorgeous!!! Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Ahhhh - he's gorgeous!!!! I wish you all the best and happiest times!
    He's no doubt feeling a bit discombobulated with the new move and big change so will be fairly quiet for a while, but once he settles in (probably in about a day!), he'll be more sociable and affectionate.
    He is so cute! I want him!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

He's very cute and rather handsome! Hope you have many happy years together.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Blueprint wrote: »
    He's very cute and rather handsome! Hope you have many happy years together.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Noon

Next week will be two years since we went as a family to get a dog (a collie/retriever x) as a family pet. We came home with two!!! (brother and sister) and have never looked back. They were only 10wks old and we went through the poo and wee everywhere - much like having a baby in the house again! Now we couldn't imagine them not being with us.
    I'd say this time next month you will feel like he's been with you for ever. Dogs are much more companionable than cats or rabbits for that matter.
    You'll wonde why you didn't get a dog years ago..
    Best of luck.

Advertisement