Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The weirdest thing happened

Options
  • 29-01-2010 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi all. I just had to post on here to see if anyone else has experienced this. We have 2 dogs. Our dalmation eats anything and everything that she can. However, today when she was given her breakfast she got a huge mouthful of it, went into the living room and spat it out in her bed. She definitely didn't vomit she just let it all fall out of her mouth. She then went back to her bowl, got another mouthful and came into the living room again. This time she searched around for a good spot!!!!! and did the same thing again. It was so weird.

At this stage our other dog was finished eating so we brought him to another room and I stayed with her. She got another mouthful and tried to leave her room again, I stopped her from leaving so she left the little pile of food on the floor. She completely refused to eat from her bowl and showed no interest in her food after that...which is really strange for her, she is usually the first finished. I tried to feed her from my hand but even at that she only took a few bits.

I decided not to push her anymore. A few hours later I tried again. This time she got another mouthful and looked like she was about to do the same thing but when the other dog came to investigate she decided to eat.

When it came to dinner time she seemed to be pretty much back to normal.

Sorry about such a long post but I'm really baffled about her behaviour, especially since she is so food orientated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My guess would be a minor tummy upset spoiling her appetite, combined with the compulsive behavior of not leaving any food in HER bowl for the other dog :D

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'd agree with peasant, sometimes my girls if they don't want their treat or some of their food they'll try and hide it in the basket or down the side of the couch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One of my dogs does something similar sometimes. If the other dog finishes his dinner and leaves the kitchen and I'm not in the kitchen either, she will take a big mouthful of nuts and run into living room, spit it out then settle down to eat it one not at a time.:o
    Just thought it was her not wanting to be alone, she is the youngest.
    Sounds to me like peasant could be right though, odd if she doesn't do it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Thanks for that guys. She was completely back to normal with her breakfast this morning so I can laugh about it now. I did think that it was something to do with not wanting Truman to take it, especially since she started to eat when he was hovering around.

They're so funny sometimes. I'm pretty sure Truman has started to eat slower since we got Mina. Maybe I'm humanising him too much but it's as if he wants her to think he must have gotten more than her because he's still eating when she's finished.

Anyway, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My little terrier used to do that, take a mouthful of food and bring it to a green rug or carpet (it had to be green for some reason!), spit it all out and then eat the nuggets piece by piece, then go back for more. I asked the vet about it and his thought was that the smell of the food in the bowl was a little overpowering so she was taking bits away where it wasn't smelling so strongly. So like Peasant said, if she was feeling a little nausaus maybe the smell of the food bowl was making it worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Gas! Mine used to do that too. I always thought she hated to be watched while eating, so used to pick up a big mouthful and run out of the room. It was hilarious to watch but not so much fun cleaning up the trail of dog food into whatever room she went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I have a cat that does it! Grabs a mouthful then runs off with it and growls while she's eating it!

Advertisement