Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a fish (and recipe)

Options
  • 29-01-2010 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't eat a lot of fish, I usually only eat Salmon (the pre-packed stuff from Dunnes) on Brown Bread and I love it.

I'd love to try other types of fish, but haven't a clue which otype to go for.

I won't eat salads, so the fish will have to go with potatoes, carrots and if possible, mushrooms. I prefer fried mushrooms, but will eat them if they are done in a Garlic batter.

The only veg I eat is carrots, mushrooms and potatoes.

I'd prefer a fish that doesn't have a strong flavor, as I find strong flavors off-putting.

I like Mackerel, but hate having to pick the bones out.

Can any recommend me a fish a recipe please? As I am clueless as what to go for.

Also, nothing expensive.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭dogbert27

2 fillets of sea bass or sea bream for less than a fiver.

You can put them in the oven or do them in the pan.

Very little, if any, bones in those.

If you have a barbecue, I like to stick them on a grill and cook them over the barbecue or again I have a smoke box and occasionally cook them in there.

IMO they are both lovely fish to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

How about a fish pie made with fresh cod or haddock? I make a very simple one in a mild cheese sauce and top with mash. If you use a plain white sauce instead of the cheese, you could include your mushrooms and then serve with the carrots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

How about homemade fish & chips. I made breaded fish recently with a fillet of bream and it was delicious, and no bones which has always been my fear with fish so I don't usually cook with it either. All you do is
    • put about a tbsp of plain flour on a plate, pour a beaten egg into a shallow dish and put about 25g of breadcrumbs on another plate.
    • dip the fillet in the flour, shake off the excess, then in the egg until lightly coated, and finally in the breadcrumbs until completely covered. You may need to pick up some of the breadcrumbs and pat them on in places to make sure it's completely coated.
    • Heat some sunflower oil (it should be about 1.5-2cm deep so it's quite a bit really) in a frying pan large enough for the fillet to lie flat. On a medium-high heat.
    • When it's hot enough (you'll know it's ready when you put a few breadcrumbs in and they kind of fizz) put the fillet in. Fry for about 3 minutes. Carefully turn it over and cook for 2-3 minutes.
    • You'l probably want to put it on some kitchen paper and pat it to remove the excess oil.
    As you can see it's really quick. I think the longest part of the process is waiting for the oil to heat up so you could nearly put that on first. You could serve it with any of the veg you like I would imagine. It would probably be really nice with homemade chips as I mentioned at the top, and also with some fried mushrooms. All that frying is probably not great for you but still delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Smoked fish is glorious. Get yourself some smoked haddock (it's really inexpensive) and put the fillets in a large frying pan. Pour milk over the fillets so that the fish bubbles away for about 10 minutes.

Take the fish out, cover with foil to keep warm. Go back to the pan and add some butter and some chives. Let the butter melt and if you want to thicken the sauce add flour (not necessary).

Serve with baby potatoes.
    YUM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Ooh, loads of ideas there, thanks guys.

Will see what I can get in town.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

You can buy salmon fillets (boneless) and bake them. It's really easy:

1. Put the oven on at 180C
    2. Put olive oil on a baking tray, covering an area the same as the fillet. Put some salt, pepper and dill if you have some (dill makes a big difference but you can cook without it you want)
    3. Put the fillet on top of the oil, etc and then put the same again on the top of the fillet (oil, salt, pepper, dill)
    4. On the same tray you can put some cherry tomatoes cut in half, with oil salt, pepper and chopped garlic drizzled over
    5. Cook the whole lot for 20 minutes in the oven
    6. Take the tomatoes off the tray and then grill the top of the fish for a few minutes (3 or 4). This gives it a nice, slightly crunchy finish

That's it - serve with baby potatoes and some peas or something and you could squeeze a lemon over the salmon or eat it without. It comes out creamy textured and delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Grill yourself a nice bit of trout and top with some toasted almonds; delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the ideas guys, much appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I just made a marinade last night to go with Salmon. I used 2 red chillies, 2 green chillies, 3cm ginger (shredded), 3 cloves garlic (crushed and finely chopped), small bunch of coriander, and 2 teaspoons of honey. Combine in a bowl and mix well.

I had 2 salmon fillets so put half of the mix into a freezer bag with a fillet each. They're in the fridge since last night so looking forward to tasting later. I'll cook them by putting them in tin-foil with the marinade in the oven.

Have made before but with less Chillie and it was nice. I like a bit of spice though so increased the chillie factor.

Highly recommended dish that you can play around with to suit your tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

If you want to tart up a basic fish and chips why not cook cod, sole or plaice in a beer batter. Just combine 255g of sieved flour with 300ml of beer(stay away from the chape and since its only 1 can or even bottle you can afford to spend the extra euro) and a pinch of salt. This will do around 6 portions.

For the chips I recommend you fry them(fresh cut chunky chips, chip shop style) at 160c until just before they get colour and finish them at 180-190 after the fish is cooked.

Serve with loads of salt and vinegar. Absolutely lovely and would more than likely be better than anything from a chipper.

P.S Cod is stupidly expensive nowadays so u could use any white fish you like really. I recommend plaice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement