Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 200mm F1.8

• 29-01-2010 2:12am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭

Came across this while dreaming browsing on ebay.

A 200mm 1.8 lens - holy sh1t and it's only a tad over €4,000. Wonder would he take a trade in of my nifty fifty 1.8?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

F*ck it, you're on holiday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Lovely lens but I'll be damned if I'm carrying it around. It's carrying case looks like something you carry a nuke around in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Wonder would he take a trade in of my nifty fifty 1.8?
    Oh, you'll get a trade in alright, then you'll just owe €3990 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

What are those shiny aluminium brackets near the lens mount? They don't look original to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Pete67 wrote: »
    What are those shiny aluminium brackets near the lens mount? They don't look original to me?

They're for a lens shoulder strap. They are original. The same can be found on 300mm, 400mm, etc lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

What do you use a 200 1.8 for? could you autofocus correctly with that shallow DoF for sports stuff, would you be standing miles away from someone if using it for portraits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Doing a bit of research I came up with : too expensive for a start (ie. the one in the OP compared to this link),
    and examples. Its designed to be used wide-open, and by all accounts its pretty good !! I'd say 200mm isn't THAT far away for a portrait tho :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I don't do portraits :o 200 is the longest lenght I have; it gets used for far off things like windsurfing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Where it excels is indoor sports. Portraits, a bit too far for most I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Indoor sports like boxing, environmental portraits, Some wildlife. Anything really. It's minimum focusing distance is a bit of a PITA, but then, it's a 200 1.8, you'll be too busy complaining about the weight to worry about minimum focusing distance.

Tbh, for what it is, it's not too expensive.

I'd post a picture, but not until the TOU gets sorted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

You would either look like a pro or a noob who flashs the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

meh .... its a discontinued lens ..... its all about the 200mm f2.0 now :P

have been looking for one for over two years .....just to buy it and play with it (when I find one I never have the money..... the one time I had the money there was one selling on ebay for £1700 .... cosmetically in bad condition but optically fine .... seller wouldnt ship to Ireland...and wouldnt let me fly over and collect.... seller was in Holland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had a look and used the new 200mm f2 IS and its really nice, apparently it has better IQ than the f1.8 and the four stop IS helps too. For environmental portraits I would prefer the 135 f2 mainly because its far lighter

Advertisement