Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom netopia router gone bonkers, changed ssid..

• 29-01-2010 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi lads

the router in the house im sharing with has gone crazy.

seems the ssid has changed, and its pass protected...

how can we access it? the guy who owns the place rung eircom and they said they have a problem with the line... might be just bs.

anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Problems with your wireless network have absolutely nothing got to do with Eircom. Any isp's responsibility ends when they get the signal to your house.

SSID's dont change of their own volition someone has been messing with it somehow.

You can access your routers settings at any stage by connecting a pc/laptop to it by ethernet cable. Then http://192.168.1.254 will allow you to access the settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dub45 wrote: »
    You can access your routers settings at any stage by connecting a pc/laptop to it by ethernet cable. Then http://192.168.1.254 will allow you to access the settings.
    You can do it wirelessy aswell if you want. I used my phone a few times to check things out on the router. Me father thinks Im magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Netopia eircom routers are notoriously easy to hack into, I will tell you it is incredibly easy and just a matter of using google, I've never come across a netopia network that was actually secured.

Sounds like someone used google to find the right website, got on your router with the pass they got, and accessed the admin settings and changed them.

Hook up to it manually, and access the settings, you have to change your passwords on it, they are not secure, they are 30 seconds of googling away from knowing.

Use a wpa2 secured password, wep isn't worth a sh1te and is merely a delay mechanism to being cracked wide open.

seanybiker wrote: »
    You can do it wirelessy aswell if you want. I used my phone a few times to check things out on the router. Me father thinks Im magic.

Did you read the op's query? He doesnt know the password for the wireless network:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Stercus Accidit is right, you have been hacked but the fool who did it also notifyed you by changing your wireless. Now you need to beef up your security settings. I would even go as far as allowing only MAC addresses of your devices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the ssid has changed again...

wtf is going on, I mean if someone hacked it why change the ssid as its pretty obvious I would know it was messed with, I can just turn it off now and no one can use it

anyway, how do I get into the http:// site and access the setings with no password?

(with a rj45 cable)

if you connect this cable does it config itself.?

thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

the ssid has changed again...
    Any chance that you're picking up neighbours wireless and not yours ?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Any chance that you're picking up neighbours wireless and not yours ?

Thats a good point. Download netstumbler and it should show you all the networks that are around you. Google for it.

You can just access the router via ethernet normally it doesnt need a password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

dub45 wrote: »
    Problems with your wireless network have absolutely nothing got to do with Eircom. Any isp's responsibility ends when they get the signal to your house.

SSID's dont change of their own volition someone has been messing with it somehow.

Thought I'd clarify: in this situation, it's almost definitely nothing at all to do with eircom but they still have liability for a wide variety of other problems.

Eircom broadband customers are supplied that piece of equipment as part of their DSL service. So they would have obligations under the Sale of goods and supply of services act. If the router, for example, was not able to be received through just a single stud wall because the signal was so weak, well the router wouldn't be fit for purpose.

Dub45's suggestion of using the ethernet cable to access the router is by far the most straightforward one. The router is supplied with one so it shouldn't be hard to manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

its not someone elses router, I was right next to it and switched it on and off again to double check that.

doing a thesis and no time to look at it but told my house mate about logging onto the http:// site to change settings, if he can. via ethernet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement