Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lecturers Questioning Named Students in Lecture

• 29-01-2010 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what your views are on the practice of lecturers deliberately posing questions (in this case mathematical) to a named student (name read off an attendance sheet) during a lecture. Said event occured twice in one lecture and certainly looks as thought it will be a regular event in future lectures.

Just to be clear this is not the same as when a lecturer poses a question to the class leaving it open to whomever feels capable on inclined or bothered to answer it. :) Personally I have never seen this done in either my other UCD modules or in the university I attended previously.

Your opinions please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

don't really like it, but it does keep people on their toes! what size of a lecture was it? i used to have that in some lectures of about 40 students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Well there should be 150 if everyone turned up but I'm not sure how accurate I am on that. At least 70 - 80 attended that particular lecture. I might add the question was specific to material presented for the first time in very same lecture so one couldn't swat in advance.

i think being picked on in large groups like that is really scary :eek: i remember just wanting to run out when a lecturer started asking questions and wasn't just waiting on someone in the front row to answer! plus if the material is completely new it can seem worse although you can't really be expected to have all the answers in that case :o.
    but in general though, as i had to go through it, i don't see a problem in others having to go through it too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Has happened twice in two different modules so far this semester for me. Obviously I don't want to get asked but I guess it forces me to pay attention and prepare for lectures.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've seen it done in smaller classes, but it's pretty evil to do in bigger classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

We used to have a lecturer that did it in a big class. At the beginning of each lecture he'd ask a few about the previous lecture. He'd start off asking the question to the class and if no one answered would ask individuals. He wasn't trying to catch anyone out, and if you didn't know the answer that was ok, as long as you took a stab at it, he was just trying to encourage the class to interact. In a large class it can be quite easy to put your head down and not get involved.

Now our classes are much smaller and our lectures know us so being asked a question personally is a regular occurrence and no biggy.

I guess it depends on the lecturer and if he's trying to catch people out, or trying to encourage the class to learn. The first is mean spirited, but I don't have a problem with it either way tbh. Nothing wrong with asking people questions imo.

Interesting feedback thanks, most don't like it but not bothered at the same time. I wanted to make it clear too that the questions weren't opinion questions they where "you either know the answer or you don't" type questions or "I've just told you this - now you should be able to work out the answer based on what I've just taught you" type questions. Personally I don't agree with it at all (that was probably obvious) but I don't mind being given say a few minutes to form an opinion about something or come up with some ideas about something in a short space of time but not an out of the blue give me the correct answer now thingy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

To be very honest, if it was a large lecture, and if I may have been out the night before or not feeling full of enthusiasm for whatever reason - that possibility alone would probably make me skip the lecture and copy the notes later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Yeah I had one lecturer last year who used to this. I agree with others that it made be feel very uncomfortable, but it didnt keep me awake, it did make me prepare for the classes but I honestly don't think it benefited me very much.
    Class size was approx 85 students, so a relatively large group. I did find that some students were more inclined to skip because of this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Teaching style varies from lecturer to lecturer, so if one lecturer just 'lectures' in a large group, another may choose to ask questions. I don't think it's a bad idea as students will probably take more/prepare and learn better than they would from just passively sitting there. However, that said, I absolutely hated any lecturer/tutor who would ask questions of students, regardless of how small the group was. However, it did make me prepare for classes/lectures better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I can understand why someone would be embarrassed or annoyed by a lecturer doing that; but to be fair we are all supposed to be big boys and girls now. If you don't know the answer or get it wrong then what's the big deal? You're unlikely to be the only one in the theatre who gets it wrong.
    Unless there is some kind of penalty for getting it wrong, but if not then I don't think it's such a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, picking on specific students is the kind of thing I associate with school classrooms, frankly. I have one lecturer who points at people when asking questions, and it's annoying. Not because I'm embarrassed to answer, but it slows the lecture down.

Especially when you have to repeat yourself three times because of other noise or your voice bouncing off the walls. These lecture theatres are designed, acoustically, for 1-way communication: lecturer lectures, everyone else shuts up and listens. Simple. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    Well, picking on specific students is the kind of thing I associate with school classrooms, frankly. I have one lecturer who points at people when asking questions, and it's annoying.

or worse, when they say something like 'person 3 rows from the back in the blue shirt' 'yes i mean YOU' !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I use to have a lecturer that fcuked dusters at people who were asleep or staring out the window! He also use to like going around the class (small about 12 students) and ask everyone a different question. If he felt that you were BS'ing the answer he would just stand there and make you explan it to him before he moved on. It really worked in making people prepare for his lectures though. Scared the crap at of a few people no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't mind as long as the lecturer fully "commits" to the "teacher" role. If you are going to ask questions of specific individuals then I would also expect that lecturer to do things such as

• Tell people who are disrupting the lecture to kindly STFU or GTFO.
    • To be approachable and to not have a dismissive attitude if someone is struggling with something and asks you for help.
    • That they treat people with respect and not just do or ask things to embarass people.

redout wrote: »
    I use to have a lecturer that fcuked dusters at people who were asleep or staring out the window! He also use to like going around the class (small about 12 students) and ask everyone a different question. If he felt that you were BS'ing the answer he would just stand there and make you explan it to him before he moved on. It really worked in making people prepare for his lectures though. Scared the crap at of a few people no doubt.

...I think your pulling our legs :)

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't mind as long as the lecturer fully "commits" to the "teacher" role. If you are going to ask questions of specific individuals then I would also expect that lecturer to do things such as

• Tell people who are disrupting the lecture to kindly STFU or GTFO.
    • To be approachable and to not have a dismissive attitude if someone is struggling with something and asks you for help.
    • That they treat people with respect and not just do or ask things to embarass people.

I have to say I thing your third point is the real issue here. I think the aim is precisely to embarrass people into doing more prep for a lecture and I don't think it's on. As someone earlier pointed out 'we are supossed to be big boys now' meaning adults,which bloody well means (to me) that if I choose to zone out in a lecture I can without feeling I'm going to be pounced on surprisingly by the lecturer.

colossus-x wrote: »
    ...I think your pulling our legs :)

honest to god dusters flying threw the air was a regular enough occurence.

More of a lob than a fling in fairness.

Or the old lecturer coming to your table and slamming the book down if you nodded off.

honest to god dusters flying threw the air was a regular enough occurence.

More of a lob than a fling in fairness.

Or the old lecturer coming to your table and slamming the book down if you nodded off.

Yeah, did this all happen in 1937? :)

Yeah, did this all happen in 1937? :)

LoL

more like late 90s early 00s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I have to say I thing your third point is the real issue here. I think the aim is precisely to embarrass people into doing more prep for a lecture and I don't think it's on. As someone earlier pointed out 'we are supossed to be big boys now' meaning adults,which bloody well means (to me) that if I choose to zone out in a lecture I can without feeling I'm going to be pounced on surprisingly by the lecturer.

For real? If you're going to disrespect the effort the lecturer has gone to in presenting the class to that extent, why bother even showing up?

Most lectures I've been in where the lecturer was asking questions of the class were usually the big classes where it's an attempt to get some engagement going...

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    For real? If you're going to disrespect the effort the lecturer has gone to in presenting the class to that extent, why bother even showing up?

Most lectures I've been in where the lecturer was asking questions of the class were usually the big classes where it's an attempt to get some engagement going...

On your first point I agree and you shouldn't feel you have to turn up just to sign an attendance sheet and then doze off.

On your second point you haven't understood this thread because I clearly stated in my OP or a further reply that that situation you describe is NOT what we're discussing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I read your original posts, it sounds exactly like what I described.

If he's picking names off the sheet, it's pretty clear that he's not picking on people he thinks aren't paying attention, since how would he know who the person he's seen not paying attention is?

Maybe it depends a bit on the demeanour of the lecturer, but I'd like to think that asking questions of the class is in the spirit of engagement via the Socratic method rather than just a mean spirited attempt to embarass individuals.

Tayto2000 wrote: »

By no stretch of the English language could what I'm talking about here be described as "asking questions of the class". You have used these words in both your replies and I think you deliberately put it this way to water down the overall perception of whats going on here.

And as for 'disrespecting the lecturer" I find it laughable that anyone would think that I (as a student) was under some obligation to put an effort in for the sake of the lecturer, I'm still giggling about that. He does what he does only because he gets paid to do not because he/she feels compelled to pass on their wealth of knowledge to us for the sake of the profession and ultimately mankind as a whole :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

He does what he does only because he gets paid to do not because he/she feels compelled to pass on their wealth of knowledge to us for the sake of the profession and ultimately mankind as a whole :)

That's very cynical, and a complete generalisation of the profession.

WeeBushy wrote: »

Please don't quote me out of context.

WeeBushy wrote: »

...and I was being more sarcastic than cynical. Now back to the original topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

There's a certain lecturer in the physics dept. who not just asks people questions in class, but also gets them to come down to the blackboard and work out equations and that in front of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There's a certain lecturer in the physics dept. who not just asks people questions in class, but also gets them to come down to the blackboard and work out equations and that in front of everyone.

I'd just laugh at him and tell him get a job in a secondary school if that's his style of lecturing.

• Advertisement

This is what I can a convenient 'filler'.

Last semester one of our modules turned into half lecture/half tutorial and we had tutorials besides. In this case said lecturer posed scientific questions and spent sometimes over half the lecture going around checking peoples answers that they were to have written down. I find this strategy totally unacceptable and of course that's half the 50mins the said lecturer does not have to prepare for. And to add insult to injury attendance was taken - so it was a required that we spend half the time waiting for the lecturer to get on with it. Outrageous. I stopped going to those lecturer half way through as if I'm going to waste my time I'd rather be the one to do it rather than someone else deciding that for me.

Advertisement