Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturers Questioning Named Students in Lecture

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'd just laugh at him and tell him get a job in a secondary school if that's his style of lecturing.

OMG I know. I like to just go into college (preferably after 10am, those 9am lectures are so hard to get in for) and sit in the middle of the lecture theatre beside my mates with a coffee and a copy of the MetroHerald. Of course I'll take notes and stuff (usually end up undecipherable though LOL) but the lecturer usually emails everyone the notes anyway so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

colossus-x wrote: »
    Last semester one of our modules turned into half lecture/half tutorial. In this case said lecturer posed scientific questions and spent sometimes over half the lecture going around checking peoples answers. I find this strategy totally unacceptable and of course that's half the 50mins the said lecturer does not have to prepare for.

I would agree that getting the class to write down answers on pieces of paper is fairly ridiculous. Going around to check individuals' answers is even more so. Lectures and tutorials should be clearly defined and separate IMO. However, going back to your original post, a lecturer posing a question to one person (read off a class list) is acceptable in a lecture if it doesn't distract from the main points of the lecture, there is no obligation for the person to answer, it doesn't take too long, and other people can stick up their hand if the person asked is silent for, say, 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

colossus-x wrote: »
    By no stretch of the English language could what I'm talking about here be described as "asking questions of the class". You have used these words in both your replies and I think you deliberately put it this way to water down the overall perception of whats going on here.

You have emphasised that he is picking a person at random off an attendance sheet and asking them a question. How is this not asking questions of the class? You also stated that you believe that it's an attempt to force people to prepare more for the class. You then contradict yourself by saying that the "question was specific to material presented for the first time in very same lecture so one couldn't swat in advance." As I have already pointed out, he can't be specifically picking on someone not paying attention this way since it's RANDOM out of a class list (again according to yourself) of 150! If you are demanding the right to have a snooze at the back, your odds are still pretty good if this is happening twice per class as you have stated. Worst case scenario, "I don't know" will usually suffice. I don't see the problem.
    colossus-x wrote:
    And as for 'disrespecting the lecturer" I find it laughable that anyone would think that I (as a student) was under some obligation to put an effort in for the sake of the lecturer, I'm still giggling about that.

This is a separate thing. I'm glad you think it's funny that you should be obliged to show any respect for the time and effort a lecturer has put in to preparing and presenting course material. Can you imagine how demoralising it is for a lecturer to have students blatantly sleeping, reading the paper, talking to each other and web surfing while trying to present course material? The fact that notes have to be available on Blackboard has made this problem worse.
    colossus-x wrote:
    He does what he does only because he gets paid to do not because he/she feels compelled to pass on their wealth of knowledge to us for the sake of the profession and ultimately mankind as a whole :)

How was Weebushy "out of context" here? Based on this statement, you come across as having serious contempt for those teaching you. Maybe you would find distance learning more to your liking? Not showing up and working off blackboard notes means you're halfway there anyway.

Tbh, when I first read your posts I assumed you were a 1st year who is just having the very common initial third level difficulty of adjusting to the concept of not being spoonfed the course material or being asked to engage with the class and teacher 'like a big boy' but I see from your other posts that I'm wrong. I would have thought that a mature 3rd year student would have the least difficulty with the situation you are describing and perhaps a bit of respect for the person trying to teach the coursework.

Advertisement