Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia II

Options
  • 29-01-2010 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven is one of my favourite games of all time, largely due to its fantastic storyline. I just read that the screenplay was 400 pages long. The sequel, out in March, has a screenplay of 700 pages and is written by the same fellow. It saddens me that many games give the story and plot little thought and usually result in some formulaic and trite nonsense that is either very predictable or just plain daft (Assassins creed 2 anyone?). The developers have licensed music from the 1940's for use in the game so that should add to the atmosphere. The gameplay in the original was good for its time but it's been so long I don't know how the new one will play. Fingers crossed anyway.

Here is some praise for the original in a review that I posted in 2006.

ps. I couldn't write very well at all back then!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This has been one of my most looked forward to games since i heard about the sequel. I cant praise the 1st one enough. Fantastic game, with an excellent story and really good characters. If the 2nd one can be anywhere near as good, i'm sold.

If this trailer is anything to go by, it should be brilliant.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/holiday-confessions-mafia-ii/44434?type=flv

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Mafia, am I right remembering that it was a good game completely ruined by having to drive like a snail for like..... 20 mins between each mission.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mafia, am I right remembering that it was a good game completely ruined by having to drive like a snail for like..... 20 mins between each mission.

god that was awful..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Strange that that's you're biggest memory of it. Most people remember the feckin' race they made you do that they ended up having to patch to make it easier.

humanji wrote: »
    Strange that that's you're biggest memory of it. Most people remember the feckin' race they made you do that they ended up having to patch to make it easier.

Actually I remember reading about that prior to getting to it and then I think I just got lucky and got through it easily. Or it may be that I had patched. It's been too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

One of its biggest strengths for me was the very realistic driving. I understand that the GTA heads may not have liked it but I found the car chases extremely exciting for the reason that it was quite hard to get away from the cops. That race was terrible, I finished it without the patch or cheats; it took me ages. Good to see some people are very excited for this game!

I used to love how cops would chase you for speeding, and that you could die from a bad crash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The sequel has felt like an eternity in coming. Wasnt it supposed to be released a year or two after the original and then got canned because the developer went bust or something?

If its even half the game the first one was, it'll be worth getting. It was just so believable, like an interactive mob movie. It was great to have the open world environment of GTA coupled with an adult plotline and characters that werent characatures.

As for the infamous race, I seem to remember there being a shortcut through the course that you could take which allowed you to go straight from last place to first on the final lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Den Den den den den den

HAHAHAH your all humming it now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

This game is gonna be amazing. Loving the graphics and the fact it's gonna be set over a 10 year period. You apartment gets upgraded to suite the changing styles of the times. Snow is included amongst many other feature.

Watch at 720p

mafia2screenshots2_2.jpg

mafia2_10.jpg

mafia-2-ss5.jpg

mafia-ii-20090819000213260.html?page=mediaFull

• Advertisement

Snow is included amongst many other feature.

SNOW!!!! SNOW!!!! OMG I CAN'T WAIT. SNOW ROCKS!!!

jk :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You'll love this mod for Mafia 1 then :P
    http://www.gamershell.com/news_8429.html

Hope the link is right, as im in work and cant check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Looking forward to it, I dropped in the original the other night for nostalgic value, still a cracking game.

There is something so satisfying riddling guys with a Tommy gun, or strolling behind someone in a suit to blow them away with a 1911.

Cannot wait for the sequel.

You cannot hipfire Tommy guns enough

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mafia was most most underrated games of all time.
    I'm not big into playing through games more than 3 times but I can't keep count of how many I had on this. The levels were fantastic, graphics were amazing, for the time (havn't played it in a while).

I remember the one where you go into the hotel (brothel) to kill the ho, bomb the place, jump out the window, cops chase across rooftops, lose them, make your way into the a church via the roof, go down stairs until you find the door you come out of is beside the altar where the funeral of a guy you killed in an earlier mission is taking place leading to a shootout in the church, of and then making a getaway in a funeral car.

WOW!

Hope they keep the same chemistry for II and don't think they have to follow GTA or Godfather games with online nonsense and just focus on a strong single player (although MP wouldn't hurt!)

jk :P

lol, I know that sounds ridiculus, and of all the more important features I could have wrote down I put that one in my post, but for ages people have been wanting some sort of changing of seasons in their free-roam games, more notably GTA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Agricola wrote: »
    As for the infamous race, I seem to remember there being a shortcut through the course that you could take which allowed you to go straight from last place to first on the final lap!

At the very start, reverse back over the finish line and then drive forward = win. Didn't know about this till I won the race, but I'd have used it and spared myself the fifty attempts it took to eventually win. Great foundness for Mafia as well as Illusion softworks Hidden and Dangerous series.

I just used to take the short cut, what a ridiculously hard level HAHA!

I heard the PS2 game made the cars faster and upped the spped limit. Wouldn't mind picking it up for the PS3 (if it worked) or should I just stick to the PC?

I remember clearing it and going on my 56k internet to download the ending tune. If I wasn't getting Heavy Rain tomorrow, I would load this up again at the weekend!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I just used to take the short cut, what a ridiculously hard level HAHA!

I heard the PS2 game made the cars faster and upped the spped limit. Wouldn't mind picking it up for the PS3 (if it worked) or should I just stick to the PC?

I remember clearing it and going on my 56k internet to download the ending tune. If I wasn't getting Heavy Rain tomorrow, I would load this up again at the weekend!

Man, I heard the PS and Xbox ports where just abysmal. I'm a console player mainly and I wanted Mafia when it came out but it's one of those games I never got around to getting. Oh well.

Mafia II on ther other hand. Defo getting this on release day.

mafia-ii-20090819000216588_640w.jpg

mafia-ii-20090114033302359_640w.jpg

mafia-ii-20090115111957402_640w.jpg

mafia-ii-20090120043612007_640w.jpg

Holy ****!! I can't wait to walk/drive around in this!! So scenic/cinematic/postcardesque!!!

but it's one of those games I never got around to getting. Oh well.

Man you really really need to get it for the PC, its like 7 euro in Game (best seller range or sumtin).

The graphics are still cracking so its not like playing an ancient game but if you have any interest in Mafia 2, please, PLEASE play Mafia 1 and post your thoughts (NB. I am not responsible if you don't like the game :D)

You know. I think I will buddy. Get myself hyped for this title. People I know who have played it really, really reccomend it, like The Wire or The Sopranos.

Man, even hearing about that mission when you end up in the church during a mission and the funeral of a guy you killed already is going on is enough for me to play it. lol
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Man you really really need to get it for the PC, its like 7 euro in Game (best seller range or sumtin).

The graphics are still cracking so its not like playing an ancient game but if you have any interest in Mafia 2, please, PLEASE play Mafia 1 and post your thoughts (NB. I am not responsible if you don't like the game :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

loved the 1st game.

Hell I remember the main menu music track very well, was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Mensch that trailer is awesome

i loved the original, in fact i still have it, although i think you can download it for free now.

didnt they upgrade the engine on it (or was it armed and dangerous they updated?)

jaggeh wrote: »
    Mensch that trailer is awesome

i loved the original, in fact i still have it, although i think you can download it for free now.

didnt they upgrade the engine on it (or was it armed and dangerous they updated?)

Where can you download it for free and is it true about the upgraded engine? Would def make me replay the whole thing again!

Resurrectin this thread with a lovely hands on preview

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07/20/mafia-ii-hands-on-impressions/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

First game since I cant remember when that Im actually considering a pre-order on.
    Delighted I have a pc that will handle whatever this game will throw at it. Its going to be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 login1

Just have to say M1 was not under rated, pretty sure most loved it,

Though that race 0o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First game was simply brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

I see if you pre-order Mafia II on Steam you get the first one for free now. I think I might havta :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Yeah mafia was amazing and so glad they are releasing a demo, so few pc games do anymore.

Advertisement