Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How long is the campaign in this game,No matter what anyone says there is noting else to do in these type of games but play the campaign I finished Red Dead & there is nothing else to do but get the remaining achievements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GTR63 wrote: »
    How long is the campaign in this game,No matter what anyone says there is noting else to do in these type of games but play the campaign I finished Red Dead & there is nothing else to do but get the remaining achievements.

Can you not just be satisfied with a game that has a compelling and believeable story? Assuming its similar length to the original, you get 10-15 hours of gameplay, with what looks like a great story, great voice acting, and great action. Not every game needs multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Kiith wrote: »
    Can you not just be satisfied with a game that has a compelling and believeable story? Assuming its similar length to the original, you get 10-15 hours of gameplay, with what looks like a great story, great voice acting, and great action. Not every game needs multiplayer.

Trust me I hate multiplayer & tacked on Co-op but a few more missions in the final 3rd of Red Dead (when you return from Mexico)wouldn't of hurt the story.Huge open world games have noting in them beyond the missions, they could be on rails & I wouldn't complain. I hear the developers of Mafia II are Polishing this game a lot which caused the Delays.At least I know that just hope its a lenghty & enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shuggana

Direct2Drive has Mafia 1 up with a cost of $0.00, too. I'm not sure if it's still up but it's worth a look! It's not abandonware or anything, so I guess whoever owns the rights to the franchise felt generous.

Shuggana wrote: »
    Direct2Drive has Mafia 1 up with a cost of $0.00, too. I'm not sure if it's still up but it's worth a look! It's not abandonware or anything, so I guess whoever owns the rights to the franchise felt generous.

I think thats only there because you get it for free when you pre-order Mafia 2. I dont think its actually free without the pre-order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think thats only there because you get it for free when you pre-order Mafia 2. I dont think its actually free without the pre-order.
    Yeah, it's the same for when you pre-order Mafia 2 on Steam, though I think D2D is a little cheaper.

humanji wrote: »
    though I think D2D is a little cheaper.

Wow, thats a surprise :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Bus77II

Mafia 1 was the only game I felt guilty about downloading the 'sly' way.
    I still remember driving over the big bridge with the sun coming up and thinking ''wow. I really should have paid for this''

No more crime for me. I'm buying this one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Something tells me this won't have the magic the 1st one had but I can only hope. I will be waiting for the demo before I decide if its a purchase for me or not. Will be trading in RDR (Sick of it, only played half way through and so bored of it!!) I thought it was announced Mafia 2 will have MP??

From everything i've seen of this, its going to stay pretty faithful to the first one. I've watched pretty much every video released, including the interviews with the staff, and they really know their stuff. Its probably my most anticipated game of 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

New trailer here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-kick-mafia-ii/702414

Looks absolutely fantastic. Loving the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Not every game needs multiplayer.
    I thought I was the only one! I've been confused lately with perfectly good single player story games containing pointless multiplayer add ons. Bioshock 2, Red dead redemption and I'm sure there are many more. In these later years of my gaming life all I want is a riveting storyline and some novel gameplay elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

From reading that, i don't have any problem with their main fault. It was never meant to be a sandbox game, and the first Mafia was extremely linear. No need to change a winning formula. As long as the story and gameplay are good (and from the sounds of things, they are), i'll be happy.

Personally, i can't wait for it.

I read that review in PC Zone today. I'll spoiler the rest in case anyone doesn't want to know.
    The reviewer was f*cking atrocious. I'm not expecting Booker Prize winners to be reviewing things, but how did an editor let him get away with all that? Anyway, the overall impression that I'm getting is that it's just a "meh" game and nothing more. They gave it an 80, but reading the review, you'd wonder why. It's almost like he felt he would get lambasted if he gave it lower. It's a strange review that is quite negative for a lot of it, but seems to apologise for being negative and then praises it at the end.

So basically, that review may as well not have happened for me because it's just left me confused as to whether or not the game is any good.

From reading that, i don't have any problem with their main fault.

same as that mate, p.c. zone were never great for reviews anyways tbh, linear isin't a bad thing these days seen as how many sandbox games are flooding the market.

reading that the mark down if 20% pretty much was for the linearity, would they give the same score to uncharted 2 due to it being quite linear, if it was on the p.c. too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Isn't the demo supposed to be out today or tomorrow?

In fairness, there were a lot more downsides in the actual review. The characters seem a little dodgy and unrelatable. There aer annoying colelctables of playboy that flash up on the screen even when you're in the middle of a gun fight. It has a ****ty checkpoint system that makes you backtrack through long sections to get back to where you were. The missions themselves aren't anything new and there's zero replayability.

The line in the review that pretty much sums up what they feel about the game is, "Details like this distinguish Mafia II as a game that you could actually love, rather than play, but with seven years in the pipeline, there should have been more."

I think I'll hold off a week or so after release to see how the general public feel about the game.

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness, there were a lot more downsides in the actual review. The characters seem a little dodgy and unrelatable. There aer annoying colelctables of playboy that flash up on the screen even when you're in the middle of a gun fight. It has a ****ty checkpoint system that makes you backtrack through long sections to get back to where you were. The missions themselves aren't anything new and there's zero replayability.
    ya apologies there, bad wording on my part alright.

for myself i think bad checkpoints and possibly ten mins of backtracking to get to an area over and over again is very frustrating, Can't see why they haven't integrated quick saving feature in console games in fairness.

Burgo wrote: »
    Isn't the demo supposed to be out today or tomorrow?
    Tomorrow;)

there is a video of the demo up on youtube if anybody is interested at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHG_g-CfjM

• Advertisement

ya apologies there, bad wording on my part alright:o.

for myself i think bad checkpoints and possibly ten mins of backtracking to get to an area over and over again is very frustrating, Can't see why they haven't integrated quick saving feature in console games in fairness.
    Probably because most games would be about 5 hours shorter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Some more gameplay realised in the last few days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks cool,think I'll wait for the reviews to come out before I decide to buy it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

grabbing the demo on steam now

Auvers wrote: »
    grabbing the demo on steam now

demo is up? WTF!! when is it on PSN?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Demo is supposed to be out on all platforms today afaik.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill grab the demo later, i loved Mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow, the PC demo looks amazing!! I only have a 4800 card and it looks and runs great!

• Advertisement

Demo is only on PSN Plus, i'll give it a look on thursday for us regular poor psn folk

Advertisement