Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

played the demo on steam this morning, its quite short but its very detailed, smooth and a lot of fun.
    i got pulled over for speeding on the way to the mission :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

hmmmm, bad form that we have to wait as we don't have Playstation Plus, especially when it was confirmed that all platforms were getting the demo onthe 10th. will get it down for the p.c. now and give it a whirl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

How big of a download is the demo on steam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Agricola wrote: »
    How big of a download is the demo on steam?

1.2 gigs (approx)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here's a comparison of PhysX on and off, it don't really add much tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

10 minute time limit is a bit of a pain

thats only for the driving part as far as i can tell

thats only for the driving part as far as i can tell

Oh really? Nice I didn't have much time to play it tonight so will go back to it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Wasn't really impressed by the demo.
    Gun play seems a bit ropey.

Put a bit more time into the demo this morning, I quite enjoyed it short as it was.

You can die really easily in a shoot out. Forgot about the car's and the cop's getting on your back for minor traffic offenses :D I could have done without dying from what I perceived as minor car crashes, as some of the cars handle like tanks.

Anyone find all the girly mags :p

Looks like there is no multiplayer in this ? A good thing as I'd have little interest in it.

Think I'll get this when it comes out, it had good feel to it. Reminded me a little of the GTA on ps2 days kind of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

played the demo.. has the makings of a good game.. although controlling your character was abit wonky, the controls need some tightening up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Very very consolised but the gameplay is good. More graphics settings on pc would be good, besides antialiasing on/off :(

calex71 wrote: »

Anyone find all the girly mags :p

found the one in the burning warehouse alright, seems to pause the game when you find one :D

found the one in the burning warehouse alright, seems to pause the game when you find one :D

I only found that one and the one in the apartment at the start :D

Edit : saves me going looking for the rest not safe for work http://www.gamerzines.com/guides/mafia-ii/tits-tricks-mafia-ii-demo-playboy-magazine-location-guide/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Me and my mate ran the 360 and PC demo side to side.

God the 360 version suffers from such bad frames. I'd say it was under 20fps in foliage and fire intense areas, it was woeful. My friend had trouble aiming with the horrible stuttering at times.

PC version maxed out looks pretty much identical to the 360, though at least it was silky smooth on my i7 rig. Gonna try it later on a budget laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

^ Pretty much, not sure what problems your having with the PC but my machine is currently low end for a gaming machine and duo core and 4850 but it looks and plays flawless even on high. Might want to update your drivers?

1281515210729.jpg

That video shows some good comparisons. What i like about it is its usually PC gamers that have gotten the blunt end of the stick lately in regard this. Games have been more focused on the console and games not optimized as much for the PC. What is really noticable is the mirror.

From the start Mafia developers have been concerned and focus on the PC platform.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You misread :pac:

It's running perfectly on my PC, my mate is playing it on the 360 and it's very choppy :)

You misread :pac:

It's running perfectly on my PC, my mate is playing it on the 360 and it's very choppy :)
    PC version maxed out looks pretty much identical to the 360, though at least it was silky smooth on my i7 rig.

Apologies just thought by that you where saying it looks the same on the PC as it does on your 360 but those images show alot of differences :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of that horrible quincx or whatever it's called AA on the PS3 and reduced resolution, signs of a sloppy port.

• Advertisement

very sloppy indeed, i thought i would be getting this for the ps3 or 360, seems i will be getting the pc port by the looks of it, i have an almost 2 year old gaming laptop with nvidia 9080m on my laptop and it looks as good as the vids there for the pc and much better than consoles.

bit of a funny one considering how long they had to work on all 3 ports in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

http://game.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Mafia-II-1992-13.html

£30 to buy here, much cheaper than steam (and you activate it through steam anyway) plus you get mafia 1 for free.

wow that shot of the PS3 copy :eek:

Another review, this time from GamesMaster

http://itani15.wordpress.com/2010/08/13/gamesmaster-mafia-ii-review/
    84%

It's never nice being mean about a game with as much ambition as this, but if we're talking sheer value for money then halfway through the 14 hours it takes to complete Maria II you'll have experienced one really good shooting mission and absolutely no decent car chases, of which there are only a couple in the entire game.
    Official Xbox Magazine UK
    and a third review above, this time from offical Xbox review.

This is the first review that seems like its from a reliable source compared to Gamesmaster and PC Zone

Wonder how accurate that 14 hours is ? I assume that is just main story :confused:

Edit on reading the review, not much open world game play in terms of sidemissons etc? That could be a deal breaker. I'll wait for it to come down in price I think :(

calex71 wrote: »
    Wonder how accurate that 14 hours is ? I assume that is just main story :confused:

I'd like to think so alright.

Here are a few more reviews i got from Gamespot boards...

cover your eyes now:p...
    OXM Australia: 8/10
    OXM UK:7/10
    OXM Italy: 9.5/10
    OPM UK: 7/10
    GameMaster: 84/100
    LEVEL Magazine: 7/10, Second Opinion 9/10
    Gamereactor Sweden: --- [Review incoming Aug. 16th]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Review scores seem to be similar to the first one, that'll do me just grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

liked the demo enough

serious case of deja vu though...I distinctly remember playing it before but cant for the life of me figure out how.

played it back to back with the kane & lynch 2 demo, much perferred the combat in mafia 2. There was a much more satisfaction in good cover and shoot timing in mafia (especially with the shotgun, which is seriously slow and when I missed against a guy with a tommy gun I got nailed badly before I could shoot again).

Also I am a serious sucker for mafia era storytelling, which while fatty gives a sort of navi vibe with his constent *vito do something!!!* I just loved the music, the cars, the setting, the adverts and era news and the cutscenes were nice.

My only complaint was movement was a bit loose initially but I adjusted fairly quickly.

So i'll prob pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just played the demo. Loved it, ordered it :)

Advertisement