Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Played the demo last night on the ps3,think Im gonna give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its now available for download on Steam. Uh, at least in the US anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

EG review.

Ouch...

4/10

Was not expecting that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Neither was I. I think the EG reviewer is over-egging the negativity abit though. For a more nuts and bolts review and less emphasis on sounding clever (which is always EG's wont) check the Gamespot review.

This game isnt breaking any moulds, which is probably going to be most people main disappointment with it. But it seems to me to be a 7/10 game. It cant be as bad as Kane & Lynch 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Although Eurogamer. france gave it 10/10 so as with every review it will take playing it yourself to decide.

I think if you like open world games about the mafia you will like this :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its a decent game, shouldve been better but isnt

definitely in the 7/10 area, but id recommend it to anyone into story driven games that isnt too worried about slow progress

Agricola wrote: »
    It cant be as bad as Kane & Lynch 2!

kane & lynch 2 isnt that bad to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Surprised by that review, I thought the demo was great. However the "this level does not appear in the game" warning at the start of the demo was a bit of a red light. Dunno, might still give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

I would agree with the 7/10 Its great if you like the godfather movies etc but dont be expecting a game as polished as GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

iMuse wrote: »
    I would agree with the 7/10 Its great if you like the godfather movies etc but dont be expecting a game as polished as GTA
    its a decent game, shouldve been better but isnt

definitely in the 7/10 area, but id recommend it to anyone into story driven games that isnt too worried about slow progress

If ya had to pick 2 things that took 3/10 off what would it be lads?

• Advertisement

not so much a point off for each thing, but these all accumulated to giving it the 7 (which is a great score in my book, just to clarify)

its quite slow paced, which i liked but to be honest i knocked a point off because i still think it shouldve had a bit more going on

the missions are very hit and miss - kinda uninteresting

the driving sections are quite dull, and they underused the car chase side of things

the lack of any real excitement during the majority of the game

none of the melee, cover nor gunplay engines are as polished as they should be

theyre all relatively minor things in the bigger picture, apart from the fact that the game is a real slow burner. some will love it because of that, some will absolutely hate it. its really down to whether or not you want to put your time into a linear story driven game or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I think its a great game so far, not played that far into it but I'm liking it. City looks spectacular on pc, some serious time spent at the artwork and they've got the lighting and shadows perfect. No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Helix wrote: »
    not so much a point off for each thing, but these all accumulated to giving it the 7 (which is a great score in my book, just to clarify)

its quite slow paced, which i liked but to be honest i knocked a point off because i still think it shouldve had a bit more going on

the missions are very hit and miss - kinda uninteresting

the driving sections are quite dull, and they underused the car chase side of things

the lack of any real excitement during the majority of the game

none of the melee, cover nor gunplay engines are as polished as they should be

theyre all relatively minor things in the bigger picture, apart from the fact that the game is a real slow burner. some will love it because of that, some will absolutely hate it. its really down to whether or not you want to put your time into a linear story driven game or not

Interesting, I see its up at 77-79 on metacritic which could be accurate , and thats after 20 or so platforms on all patforms.

as you said a 7-8/10 these days is a great score and def worth a playthrough imo.

looking forward to seeing what others who have played it through have to say about it, def seems to be one where people are loving or hating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm very impressed with this so far on the Xbox 360. The graphics are some of the best I've seen. The lighting and attention to detail in the city is amazing. It genuinely feels like the 1940's. Feels more realistic than GTA4. I'm surprised they could push so much graphical fidelity from the Xbox!

The story is interesting and I love story driven games so I've a feeling I'm gonna enjoy this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

quarryman wrote: »
    EG review.

Ouch...

4/10

Was not expecting that...

Dont get that and dont seem to understand the reviewers flaws with it, considering other games with "stories" got much higher scores.

:confused:

Dont mind the driving myself theres a sense of going somewhere about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How is everyone getting the game early? :pac:

As much as I hate collectibles, the Playboy magazines is definitely unique and I'm certainly not complaining :D Now I just need to pass the time. Just got Public Enemies to watch and am in the mood to dust off Goodfellas and Scarface, should pass some time :)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How is everyone getting the game early? :pac:

2k games sent me mine last week

<-- in the US, it released here today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

DOES ANYWHERE KNOW WHERE TO GET THE COLLECTORS EDITION? PREORDERED IT IN GSTOP SAY ITS COLLECTORS BUT DOESNT SOUND LIKE IT THOUGHT COLLECTORS HAD STEELCASE GSTOP SAY ITS STANDARD GAME BOX??:confused::confused:
    SORRY BOUT CAPS IM NOT SHOUTING LOL

Played for about 5 hours last night. I really, really like it. It does look like there won't be much to do once the story is over but I don't really mind that. I prefer a good, focused single player story over a wide-open sandbox anyway.

• Advertisement

Here be spoilers, you have been warned!

I really like how they handled
    the transition from winter in wartime to spring/summer in the 1950s, especially how you actually had to do stuff while in jail, rather than just skipping from when you walked into jail directly to your release. Not liking the terrible Irish accents on the Irish gangsters though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gametrailers review I have to admit paints a good picture http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-mafia-ii/703566

normally their reviews are more positive then print reviews and this is no exception. But the reviewer does a better job on touching all bases I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Its been playable on steam since yesterday if you know how.. ;)
    played an hour of it last night, looks beautiful, plays great, atmosphere and setting is incredible. 4/10 is your a-typical **** assed EG review trying to be controversial :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I cannot stop singing the praises of this game. Particularly the level of detail in the city, so many things going on. And what a game engine! The lighting is fantastic. Graphics are absolute top notch on the Xbox. I am very, very impressed.

Sh*t Irish accents though :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Elessar wrote: »
    I cannot stop singing the praises of this game. Particularly the level of detail in the city, so many things going on. And what a game engine! The lighting is fantastic. Graphics are absolute top notch on the Xbox. I am very, very impressed.

Awful accents. Great game though. Cant get enough of it at the mo. Moving through different periods in time is nice, new cars, change in style, cost of items etc.

Thought the game went tits up on me there last night. some graphics wernt loading up. Ended up having to play that chapter again. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Elessar wrote: »

Played the demo on both xbox 360 and pc,if you think it looks nice on xbox you should see it on pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm just wondering if anyone has got Mafia II on the PS3 or 360 yet.I probably won't be getting mine until next week but i'm just waiting to see what others are making of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

Yeah just being playing it, absolutely class game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mafia threads merged.

Advertisement