Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1st DLC will be a free roam mode :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kiith wrote: »
    1st DLC will be a free roam mode :P

Details here http://www.destructoid.com/mafia-ii-jimmy-s-vendetta-coming-september-7-182815.phtml

800 points is super cheeky for something they could have put in the game :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

calex71 wrote: »
    Details here http://www.destructoid.com/mafia-ii-jimmy-s-vendetta-coming-september-7-182815.phtml

800 points is super cheeky for something they could have put in the game :mad:

I was already on the fence about buying this game but THAT right there has confirmed I won't be coughing up.

800 points to free roam? You can piss right off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A bargain bin purchase me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I doubt I'll get the DLC. 800 MSP is too much for fúck all. Between getting ripped off on trading in games, the last thing I need is to spend more money.

The game is great, but I suggest only getting it when the price drops. I finished it on Normal in 9 hours 30 minutes, now I'm going through it on Hard and getting the Playboy magazines. On Chapter 12 now, it's pretty easy other than the occasional big shootout every few missions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the last few chapters i thought the storyline felt rushed, its good but it could have been amazing with more story or mini-missions for the various bosses and gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Loved this game, really enjoyed it. Great cars, great soundtrack and some of the chapters were brilliant
    like the prison and where you go to kill Clemente
    . Driving around the place was also a pleasure and love the way the cops pull you over for speeding etc. But again, it could have been so much more. A tad short and the addition of free roam would have been excellent. It also lacked a bit of romance - a hunk like Vito not having a bird?! Incredible. :D

It was also, in a way, heartbreaking for me near the end. Had a lovely silver/black Aston Bailey car, souped up to the nines and ended up
    crushing it to make the 400 quid i needed to get to 27,500 for Bruno
    . :( Gutted, cos I had that puppy for ages without getting a scratch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Im on Chapter 8 at the moment so alittle over half way through. Enjoying it so far. Theres times where the game looks like its goin to really do something to blow you away but always seems to come up short. The generally high production values are making up for a multitude of sins. I just wish there was more to do except slavishly follow the narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

just starting chapter 2 now. the graphics are amazing on the pc version with the snow and lighting. looks great so far and the reviews are good as well that were given, going to enjoy this game. compared to the bad slow port of gta 4 on the pc this one runs flawlessly on 1920x1080p maxed. they done a great job on this one forsure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The 4/10 score given by Eurogamer to this is an insult to this game. I finished it last night and totally enjoyed every second of it, brilliant story and characters and great action. Defo one of the best games I've played this year. The reviewer from Eurogamer obviously didn't finish it, or was expecting a GTA clone (which just wouldn't have suited the story of this game, free roam or not).

Just a question about the ending though.
    When the cars go seperate ways and Leo says "Sorry Vito, Joe wasn't part of the deal", are we left to assume that Joe is being taken away to be killed? Thought it was a great cliffhanger line to finish with and left me wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

DarkJager wrote: »
    When the cars go seperate ways and Leo says "Sorry Vito, Joe wasn't part of the deal", are we left to assume that Joe is being taken away to be killed? Thought it was a great cliffhanger line to finish with and left me wondering
    Yes but it does leave the door open for a sequel in which Joe has gotten away and comes back for revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

looong way to go yet regarding vehicle AI in these sandbox games.. i can run red lights all the time in front of cops and bump their squad car without becoming 'wanted'. they get stuck and can be evaded too easily.. its really poor.

i enjoy this game due to the setting and the dialogue etc, but has the sandbox genre become one company's tradmark engine just replicated or something?! way too many similarities to GTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Glad I didn't buy this, People found lots of scrapped content in the game files, the game could have been so much better if they weren't rushed to finish it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Rented it knowing it would be a game I'd never replay it, anyways.

There's a huge glitch at Chapter 14 for the 360, a door wont open which stops you from completing the rest of the mission. 2K forums are getting bombarded with the issue.

EDIT: Here's how to get by it.
    After killing Derek, you need to make up the extra money for Bruno by stealing cars for Mike Bruski or rob shops. DO NOT ROB SHOPS, just steal cars, the door for the Mona Lisa will open by doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

****ing thing keeps crashing with new ATI drivers :(

was on chapter 11 with a sweet car :(

Seriously brilliant game, i dotn want to free roam i want to play a game and this is brilliant. Altho not happy there hasnt been a car race :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ****ing thing keeps crashing with new ATI drivers :(

was on chapter 11 with a sweet car :(

Seriously brilliant game, i dotn want to free roam i want to play a game and this is brilliant. Altho not happy there hasnt been a car race :(

WHAT!! No impossibly insane car race that you have to either cheat or wait for a patch to win in it??? Well this just isn't Mafia then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Surprised with the near unanimous praise for this here. I haven't finished it yet, but I have to say the Eurogamer review, is on the money for me so far (if a little harsh).

Driving gets dull pretty quickly, you have to play it relatively safe or get chased by the cops, which gets annoying quick. Hand to hand combat is silly and easy (the double dragon reference is funny). The missions in the first half are also pretty dull, and like the reviewer I started to have serious doubts by the time I was driving round selling stamps. The checkpoint system irritated me on a few occasions (which I find hard to forgive).

On the one hand I agree people griping about the lack of free roam/them flogging it as a download, but then, why would you want to free roam anyway when there's practically nothing to do apart from to admire the scenery?

The script/voice acting/visual detail/soundtrack are all decent, I did enjoy the sense of the time, particularly the tunes. These qualities make the 4/10 a bit mean, but a lot of the criticisms of the review stand for me and I'm glad I rented rather than bought.

*prepares for abuse*

well i hope you're well prepared cos i think you're right. i think 6/10 is warranted for the visuals and audio but what else i'm not sure.. however i can't stand GTA n thats what this is to me. n it'd be less than a 6 for it - a familiar build where developers seem to be more concerned with making the world around me tick than my own shoddy halfbaked input, jack of all trades yet master of none. and just like IV i may lose interest in this after a few days of halfarsed play. well its shorter n linear so i'll just persist i guess

but for me Kane & Lynch II kicked this game's arse. yet it scored less - jesus it got lauded

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No abuse here either. Hated it. Crap. Hated Kane and Lynch 2. Roll on the last week of September (Dead Rising 2, F1 2010, Civ V) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I think it depends what you are into. If you approach this as a GTA clone then you will be dissappointed but for many of us that is one of the strengths. I almost view this as a sim as much as a sandbox game. I love driving around the city obeying the traffic lights and stop signs and speed limit.

And how it is just a really interesting story and not a million side missions that I have to do and that there is no annoying girlfriend that I have to take out or that I don't have to go to they gym and play annoying mini games.

Mafia 2 is all about the feeling of the time that it evokes with the music and the cars and the fashion etc. There are definitely legitimate gripes with it such as paying more for dlc that should be in the game and towards the end of the game the checkpoint system is a bit irritating. But that was in the first game too and it is just the way Mafia games are.

I can understand people not liking it but I doubt anyone who loved the first Mafia will dislike this game even if it is not as good.

I just love the charm of Mafia 2 and I'm willing to overlook some gripes and enjoy the overall package. Now if only I could finish Chaapter 14!
    RGDATA! wrote: »
    The missions in the first half are also pretty dull, and like the reviewer I started to have serious doubts by the time I was driving round selling stamps.

That is just what a low level Mafia henchman would have been doing in the forties when there was a war on and everything was rationed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Am up to Chapter 11 at this stage and well into wondering why I'm still bothering. This game has none of the originals charm imo. The best description I can give it is that it's very much like playing a movie. A very slow paced movie where every chapter in the game would just be the montage section showing how the gangster grew up.

This.... 'game' for the last 9ish chapters has pretty much been drive, cutscene, drive drive drive drive drive cutscene maaaaybe a really badly implemented fist fight and then more driving. It should be mentioned that the cars are slow and just awkward to control changing what should be fun into a complete chore. So far, two chapters are basic repeats where you drive your drunk mates home and hide a dead body, that's literally it!! Up to chapter 9 I think I had more of the aforementioned ****ty fist fights than I had shot people nevermind the bajillion (admitedly well acted and composed)cut scenes.

When you finally DO get to shoot at someone you're quickly bored. It's a simple affair of grabbing cover and leaning out to take pot shots. The enemy AI is appalling... just appalling and offers ZERO challenge. In fact, it feels like a console shooter at this point ie simple and dumbed down.

This game is not a GTA clone and unlike what Sparrow says above it's NOT a sandbox and not a sim. The police will chase you if you pass them going faster than 40 but all you do is stop till they get out of the car to book you and then speed off. No challenge and I'm not even sure why they're in the game.

What this game does well is create a nice ambience. Like I said it's very much like playing a gangster movie. Some of the scenery is really well done and the music is lovely. There are some very brief moments when you just have to stop the car and have a look about.

But having a nice ambience does not a game make and I couldn't recommend it to anyone unless it's in a bargain bin and you've nothing better to do with your money and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'm selling this game on adverts for €40,but nobody is interested.It has DLC Pack & a nice sleeve for the Game Box.Only played for a few minutes by Me & my brother.Am I overpricing it,I paid €50 for it last Friday.

yes you're asking too much, most couldn't be bothered going that route for the sake of a tenner less when there's a store on the corner.

a lot of chavs would have a lot of interest in something entitled 'Mafia' that plays like GTA, so it should be riding high in the charts for a while which'd earn you up to €30 trade value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Did anyone get the DLC today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Got a loan of this last night and on chapter 11 now, I'm really enjoying it right now, I love the atmosphere of the game and the sense of what it was like back in the 40's, I understand were people are coming from saying it is repetitive but I can get over that, it would be different if it took 20-30 hours to finish.

Hey lads, i'm really stuck for a game at the moment, was thinking about getting this. Mafia 1 was one of my fave games of all time and I was put off this when it 1st came out from the average reviews and short game time. I can get in Smyths for 30 quid but just had a couple of questions 1st.

If i buy it 2nd hand, do I still get the ps3 exclusive DLC or was this with a code? Is the other DLC worth it? I would want to play it on hard over the short game time (10 hours) but read the save points get very frustrating later on, anyone clear this on hard?

Cheers for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

No idea about the DLC, but I cleared it on hard and didn't notice any particularly annoying checkpoints. For what it's worth, I really liked Mafia 2. There are a lot of really great things about the game and a few negatives too.

The most obvious negative is the game time which is only about 10 hours. The main positives is the wonderful setting and the story which I found immersive. Just driving around the snowy city with Sinatra or Bing Crosby on the radio is fantastic.

It's not as good as the first Mafia, but it is still very good. Give it a shot or even consider renting it for a week if you have the time to spend the ten hours over that time.

Thanks man, well i have a 30 quid voucher and off work for the week after getting my wisdom teeth out so might just go for it, can always trade it when im finished. Plus it looks like a do-able platinum which will be nice for my inner trophy whore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think it depends what you are into. If you approach this as a GTA clone then you will be dissappointed but for many of us that is one of the strengths. I almost view this as a sim as much as a sandbox game. I love driving around the city obeying the traffic lights and stop signs and speed limit.

And how it is just a really interesting story and not a million side missions that I have to do and that there is no annoying girlfriend that I have to take out or that I don't have to go to they gym and play annoying mini games.

Mafia 2 is all about the feeling of the time that it evokes with the music and the cars and the fashion etc. There are definitely legitimate gripes with it such as paying more for dlc that should be in the game and towards the end of the game the checkpoint system is a bit irritating. But that was in the first game too and it is just the way Mafia games are.

I can understand people not liking it but I doubt anyone who loved the first Mafia will dislike this game even if it is not as good.

I just love the charm of Mafia 2 and I'm willing to overlook some gripes and enjoy the overall package. Now if only I could finish Chaapter 14!

That is just what a low level Mafia henchman would have been doing in the forties when there was a war on and everything was rationed.

Agree. I loved mafia and loved mafia 2. It being nothing as gta made this game so great for me.

I loved story. Loved all ladder - going up from small thug and become a respectable mobster!

I hated gta4. Free roaming is fun for awile. It gets dull very fast. Story telling and missions in gta4 was crap anyway! I had no connection with characters, all characters were just a sign on minimap.

Mafia2 was different. I was actually worried about characters in game! I got dlcs for if very cheap on steam sale. I need to get to them and finish them.

Great game if you love good story! Atmosphere of that time is just amazing!

• Advertisement

I got this today and there is no DLC code in the box! It says 'contains the betrayal of jimmy DLC' on the box but no code. I looked it up and other people said they got a dlc code. So getting onto 2K games. FUK THIS!

Advertisement