Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband problems? Involve COMREG

• 29-01-2010 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

So very many people not getting the service they pay for and getting nowhere fast with any fixes it seems. Not enough people are taking the correct course of action.

Really what people need to do is make records of the woeful service using pingtest.net and speedtest.net. If your internet is unusable for any broadband applications be it gaming, VoIP, streaming video or whatever then what you are being sold is not fit for purpose and it is against the law for you to be sold such a service.

Once you have records that your service is not what it should be then you need to email, not phone, the tech support department of your provider and outline what the problem is. Tell them you have records of their substandard offering and most importantly CC consumerline@comreg.ie in on the email.

COMREG will open a case and give you a ticket number. It make take a few days for them to get back to you with this. From the time you send the email your provider has 10 days to remedy the fault. If they fail to remedy COMREG will escalate the case on your behalf. They will keep going until it is fixed or until you get a refund. That's their job and you pay your taxes for them to do it.

If enough people do this then broadband provision on this island will improve and the companies involved will be forced by the regulator to improve their infrastructure. Bitching on here although it's good for the soul will achieve nothing. Similarly talking to know-nothing techs who are employed solely for their ability to answer a phone and read from a script will achieve nothing. What you have to do is involve COMREG, that's the only way to get anything fixed.

Sorry if this sounds preachy and you know all this but I've been using broadband in quite a few countries and without a doubt everybody here in Ireland is getting well and truly shafted both in terms of price and quality of service. It's in our power to put a stop to this.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Definitely a triumph of optimisim over experience, sadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

dub45 wrote: »
    Definitely a triumph of optimisim over experience, sadly!

They aren't getting enough complaints I'd allow.

Have you attempted to go through them yourself?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

O'Coonassa wrote: »

I have, so I know from personal experience that Comreg are an absolutely useless shower of muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

COMREG will open a case and give you a ticket number.

They do a raffle ? Because they don't seem capable of doing much else tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

comreg are a pack of tossers but the procedure described above is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Comreg are powerless, one of the running jokes is that they tell eircom to change something such as lower prices and eircoms response is "see you in court"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Spear wrote: »
    I have, so I know from personal experience that Comreg are an absolutely useless shower of muppets.

Fair enough but surely if we got all members having problems e.g UPC , then surely the volume of complaints would stir up some action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Cabaal wrote: »
    Comreg are powerless, one of the running jokes is that they tell eircom to change something such as lower prices and eircoms response is "see you in court"

And that's why you need a government with some vision an courage to deal with this

You're not getting anywhere here in Ireland with this spineless regulator who is not backed by law to actually impose heavy fines etc

OP is right ..this should be the way to deal with bb related issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I'd tend to agree that people should complain through the intended channels - although it wont do any good in the short term - at least there is a record and also it highlights if comreg arent doing the job they are being paid to do !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

weisses wrote: »
    And that's why you need a government with some vision an courage to deal with this

You're not getting anywhere here in Ireland with this spineless regulator who is not backed by law to actually impose heavy fines etc

OP is right ..this should be the way to deal with bb related issues

Lets not turn this into a political thread its about Comreg not the gov,
    For the record Fine Gael didn't exactly give Comreg any powers when they were in power over the years.

• Advertisement

For the record Fine Gael didn't exactly give Comreg any powers when they were in power over the years.

I said government you bring in party's i don't give a sh*t who is in power they are all the same imo

It starts with government whether you like it or not .. we had the same debate in different posts ... the powers comreg have are provided by government one way or the other ... when comreg is dragged into court every time they give a fine, etc then you need government to give them the weapons (law) to fight back

So YES it has all to do with government legislation starts and ends with them

When you can give me valid arguments that government has nothing to do with how powerful comreg can be.... please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

I would also say call COMREG. A few years ago Eircom took my broadband from BT Ireland without my permission. The fight went on for 3 months. I called COMREG when solicitors letters started. 10 working days later a woman in Eircom who was being a bitch with me was suddenly all apologetic and the problem was resolved. Without COMREG, Eircom was refusing to even look for a contract with my signature and arrogantly threatened me.

Now I'm suffering from Vodafone Ireland's incompetence. Their service is awful and their inability to live up to promises is shocking. Their 10 working days that Comreg allowed them as part of my complaint actually ends right around now.

Come Monday, that call to Comreg will be made and I'll be changing ISP, whether VI likes it or not. Comreg call facilitate a smooth move and terminate the contract.

Yes, I'd like Comreg to shut down bad operators and regulate more. They don't which is a pity. But I recommend using them when Customer Don't Care doesn't do what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

All I can say is ComReg must of improved a lot from when I had to use them....I was with IBB for a number of months (and we all remember how bad they were!)

I tried to enlist the help of Comreg to assist in terminating the contract with IBB due to such bad service and the email I received back was "sorry, there is nothing we can do" type email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My most recent experience of Comreg was in November, when I submitted a complaint about O2 breaking their contract agreement with me. Comreg, in their infinite uselessness, asked O2 to deal with the complaint. What is the point in asking the company being complained about, to investigate the complaint? Utterly useless.

Following that, I got a letter from a company surveying Comreg's performance, which was followed by a phone call yesterday. I told them how useless I thought Comreg were, and also that I was not one bit surprised by the outcome, and that it was exactly as bad as I thought it would be.

The girl who rang me explained that Comreg currently have NO powers AT ALL to act against companies that are doing wrong by their customers. All they can do is intervene on your behalf, and ask the company to resolve the matter.

As far as regulation goes, Comreg can't, don't or won't regulate.

Complaining to Comreg is an exercise in futility. Your problem will only be resolved when the company wants it to be. Comreg's intervention is meaningless. If you want a paper trail of everything you've tried, then go ahead, but don't expect any positive outcome from it.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Fair enough but surely if we got all members having problems e.g UPC , then surely the volume of complaints would stir up some action.

This is exactly my thinking. It seems that complaints go to them in dribs and drabs but that if they were the joint-first port of call for EVERY broadband complaint in Ireland then things would change.

But as usual for the past 800 years we're defeated before we begin :D

When I had 3 Mobile Broadband it was pure ****e, not as advertised and not fit for purpose. 3 wanted a years money for me to get out of the contract and were not taking no for an answer. I complained to COMREG and not only did I get out of the contract without penalty but they used my case as one those that they presented in order to force 3 Mobile Broadband to change their advertising. I don't think it's true to say that they're entirely useless. Like I say if they were the first port of call for every broadband complaint in Ireland then things would change.

When you can give me valid arguments that government has nothing to do with how powerful comreg can be.... please let me know

I never said they didn;t, I merely pointed out that its a complete failure by numerous partys in respect of why comreg have no power.

But the problem is they refuse to be the first port of call for broadband complaints. They want you to jump through every hoop with the provider first, complaining to the provider in writing usually before they will get involved.

This is exactly my thinking. It seems that complaints go to them in dribs and drabs but that if they were the joint-first port of call for EVERY broadband complaint in Ireland then things would change.

But as usual for the past 800 years we're defeated before we begin :D

When I had 3 Mobile Broadband it was pure ****e, not as advertised and not fit for purpose. 3 wanted a years money for me to get out of the contract and were not taking no for an answer. I complained to COMREG and not only did I get out of the contract without penalty but they used my case as one those that they presented in order to force 3 Mobile Broadband to change their advertising. I don't think it's true to say that they're entirely useless. Like I say if they were the first port of call for every broadband complaint in Ireland then things would change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

anoble66 wrote: »
    But the problem is they refuse to be the first port of call for broadband complaints. They want you to jump through every hoop with the provider first, complaining to the provider in writing usually before they will get involved.

In fairness there are not there as a first port of call, there are meant to be there, when you cannot get a resolution to a problem from your provider.

True....True :)

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    In fairness there are not there as a first port of call, there are meant to be there, when you cannot get a resolution to a problem from your provider.

I never said they didn;t, I merely pointed out that its a complete failure by numerous partys in respect of why comreg have no power.

Not true !!You clearly don't want the role of the government mentioned why not ??

You state above that its a "failure by numerous party's" ... what numerous party's ???

I know 1... and that is the current government who is responsible for the powers and mandate of this regulator

They need to appoint people with knowledge on the matter.... instead of close friends who never will challenge the one who put them in charge

• Advertisement

Most people never read the carriers own complaints procedure. The surest way to get Comreg involved is where the carrier does not resolve the issue according to their published complaints procedure.

Here is how to complain ABOUT and TO UPC in easy short steps for the Bewildered. Read the procedure and links.

Once Comreg gets a complaint it should always start with an explanation of HOW THE CARRIER did not resolve the matter in a manner that is compliant with stated procedure and then you can horse the real complaint ( speed billing etc) onto the back of that complaint.

Not true !!You clearly don't want the role of the government mentioned why not ??

I don't want this thread turning into a political debate, this is a Broadband forum not Politics!

If you want to discuss how a party gives a goverment agency or you want to discuss some stuff about giving "jobs to the boys" then go to the Politics forum.
    You state above that its a "failure by numerous party's" ... what numerous party's ???

You realise that FF weren't ALWAYS in power for the past few decades right?

Anyway this is not derailing into some politics debate, stick to the specific topic of comreg and its powers not what a party may or may not have done for them.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Most people never read the carriers own complaints procedure. The surest way to get Comreg involved is where the carrier does not resolve the issue according to their published complaints procedure.

Here is how to complain ABOUT and TO UPC in easy short steps for the Bewildered. Read the procedure and links.

Once Comreg gets a complaint it should always start with an explanation of HOW THE CARRIER did not resolve the matter in a manner that is compliant with stated procedure and then you can horse the real complaint ( speed billing etc) onto the back of that complaint.

Actually Bob Comreg in that respect isn't much different to OFCOM in the UK,

OFCOM can't resolve a customers complaint directly, if a eu sends them a complaint they will only forward it to the ISP.

They will however keep states on complaints, how many times the same complaint has come back from the EU and they will review it if it hasn't been resolved.

If its the case that when OFCOM review it they find the ISP is in breach of the COP (code of practice) then they ISP will be asked to explain themselfs and "may" be fined.

Also if a EU contacts OFCOM they will suggest that they follow the companys complaints procedure as outlined on the companys website.

Its important that the EU who is complaing keep detailed logs of what they've done regarding their complaint in order for them to have a solid case.

So all in all very similar...except BT don't tend to keep bringing OFCOM to court when OFCOM tell them to do something ;)

Same procedure for Three Ireland (including links) or as an aside for any company that tries to pretend you extended your contract period, VERBALLY, on the phone.

That thread above goes into formal complaints to Three ( and others) at a granular level.

Again there are two key points
    no matter who the carrier is.

1. Find Their Formal Complaints Procedure.
    2. Follow it.

THEN

3. Complain to Comreg ONCE they deviate from the procedure.

OR

4. Complain to Comreg ONCE they complete the resolution period of 10/14/28 days and have not resolved your complaint

The eircom procedure is unlinkable on their poxy website so I copied it from a section called "Our Code Of Practice"

Read it carefully before you start a thread moaning around here :( There should be a sticky around here with these bloody things, especially for Three Eircom Vodafone and UPC.....because they are most of the BB and Midband market between them
    Eircom Complaints Procedure 29/01/2010

Our Customer Care Code of Practice for Complaint Handling

1. How to contact us with a complaint

If you would like to register a complaint, here are a number of different ways you can contact us.
    By phone

You can contact our Customer Care team directly on freefone 1800 200 481, 9am - 5.30 pm (Mon - Fri) where you can speak to one of our Customer Care Executives and register your complaint.
    The Customer Care Executive will provide his / her own name and provide you with your unique reference number and acknowledge your complaint on the phone.
    Our aim is to resolve your complaint to your complete satisfaction. Our Customer Care Executive will resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, preferably during your phone call. If this is not possible we will inform you of the length of time we expect it to take to investigate and resolve the complaint.
    By letter

If you prefer to put the complaint in writing, you can send it to the following address:
    eircom Customer Care,
    5th Floor,
    Telephone House,
    Marlborough Street,
    Dublin 1.
    By fax

If you wish to send us your letter of complaint by fax, you may fax us on 1800 200 480.
    By email

You can send your complaint by email. To ensure your complaint is effectively resolved, please ensure you specify the cause of your complaint and provide your eircom account number (located at the top of your bill).
    What happens once we receive your complaint?

We will acknowledge all complaints received by letter, fax or e-mail within two working days of receiving your complaint. We will provide you with your unique reference number and inform you of the length of time we expect it to take to investigate and resolve the complaint.
    Resolution timeframes

It is our aim to resolve all complaints received as quickly as possible and to your satisfaction. Where possible we will resolve your complaint at first point of contact.
    When we receive your complaint we will categorise it into one of the following main categories: Billing, Installation, Service Degradation, Repair, and Miscellaneous.
    We have set indicative timeframes for resolution of complaints for each of these categories:
    Billing - within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.
    Installation - under the terms of our customer service guarantee if we fail to install your line within 10 working days of our agreeing to do so you can claim a credit of two months free rental. Also if you have a complaint about installation we aim to resolve your complaint within 10 working days.
    Service Degradation - If your complaint falls under the category of Service Degradation we will respond immediately outlining the investigation procedure and the resolution timeframes envisaged.
    Repair - under the terms of our customer service guarantee it is our aim to clear all faults within 2 working days, if we fail to meet this deadline you can claim the equivalent of two months line rental. Also if you have a complaint to make about a repair we aim to have the complaint resolved within 2 working days of receiving the complaint.
    Miscellaneous - within 10 working days of receiving the complaint.
    Depending on the individual complaint it may not be possible to resolve every complaint within these timeframes. If we are unable to resolve your complaint within the timeframes, we will keep you regularly informed throughout the process and inform you of the length of time we expect it to take to investigate and resolve.
    We will notify you of the resolution of each complaint and retain records of your complaint for a period of not less than one year.
    Escalation procedures

We have a team of trained Customer Care Executives in place to investigate and resolve your complaints.
    If you are not happy with the Customer Care Executive or the way in which they handle your complaint you can ask to have the matter escalated to a supervisor or manager in the appropriate area. The supervisor or manager will provide you with a revised resolution timeframe.
    He / she will review and discuss the issue with you and try to reach a satisfactory resolution.
    If, having contacted the manager/supervisor you feel that we have still not dealt with your complaint satisfactorily, you can ask for the matter to be reviewed by the Head of Customer Care Marketing.
    Once you are happy with the resolution of your complaint, the complaint will be closed on the complaint handling system.
    Disconnection policy

It is our policy here at eircom that bills due must be paid on or before the date specified on the bill. This normally allows a period of 14 days after the bill date for payment, 21 days if you pay by direct debit.
    If you do not pay your account by the due date we may restrict your ability to make and receive calls. Before doing this we will endeavor to contact you to remind you that your bill is overdue.
    Should your line be restricted in this manner you will still be able to contact the emergency services via 112 or 999.
    If after we restrict service in this way your balance remains outstanding we will write to you informing you that your contract will be terminated (notification of termination).
    If the amount due remains unpaid after the time specified in the notification of termination your account will be terminated and your line removed. At this point you will no longer be able to contact the emergency services and will receive your final bill.
    We will continue to follow up on outstanding balances after the final bill issues.
    Our customer service guarantee

We also operate a customer service guarantee. This service guarantee is operated in parallel with our code of practice for handling your complaints. It is provided for within the service guarantee that where we do not meet certain target dates for installation and fault clearance you may be entitled to a rebate.
    You can contact our customer service guarantee center on 1800 400 000 in relation to complaints or claims of this nature.
    For installation and fault clearance the rebate does not apply to services other than PSTN and for fault clearance in the circumstances outlined below:
    • Extreme weather conditions (e.g. storm, lightening, flooding).
    • Serious damage to telecommunications equipment caused by a third party.
    • When a customer is unavailable to have their fault repaired in two working days.
    • When the customer agrees to an appointment date in excess of two working days.
    • If the fault is diagnosed as a non-fault (e.g. line working when tested, fault not in eircom’s network).
    • Where a replacement telephone is dispatched by post.
    • Internal wiring and telecommunication equipment within the customer premises or a third party property.

anoble66 wrote: »

I had a problem there recently with Vodafone and on my very first email to tech support I CC'd COMREG consumerline. They most certainly did get involved. In fact got back to me long before tech support actually did asking me for more details and providing me with a ticket number. They informed me that Vodafone had 10 days to get the issue sorted or they were going to escalate. When you CC them on the first complaint to the provider in writing than you're actually jumping through that hoop you mention.

The eircom procedure is unlinkable on their poxy website so I copied it from a section called "Our Code Of Practice"

This has all the details
    http://eircomsucks.blogspot.com/2008/07/eircoms-complaints-procedure-more.html

Not sure if they are 100% up-to-date though

If a carrier has an email procedure, most do, and you choose to use it then cc the complaint to consumerline@comreg.ie and info@comreg.ie

1. It focuses minds in the carrier I find :p
    2. You have evidence of when the procedure was invoked and the actual date the 2 or 10 or 14 or 21 days starts from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

In my own case I found Comreg to be no help at all. My complaint had to do with not receiving credit on my account. I got Comreg involved, my supplier contacted Comreg to say they'd applied the credit, and Comreg closed the case.

Except my supplier HADN'T applied the credit - as I discovered when another direct debit was taken from the account the following month. And this happened twice!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is disgraceful to see Comreg helping to perpetrate the myth of unlimited bb on their call costs site. Surely they should be pointing out to consumers that such products simply do not exist?

Yet they include them in their summaries with no qualification whatsoever - absolute disgrace!

http://callcosts.ie/broadband/Broadband_Calculator.175.LE.asp

Apparently they also told an inquirer who posted on here about it that it was sufficient for UPC to advertise price increases in national newspapers and yet this would be in breach of UPC's own terms and conditions.

• Advertisement

comreg are a pack of tossers but the procedure described above is correct.

@ Cabaal

Who in this country has the power to give comreg the mandate to do something??? .... please tell me

I talk about government in general relating to this issue (regardless who is in it because i really don't care) you are the one dragging in party politics don't blame me .. i never even mentioned one particular party.

To get back on comreg ... if they are as useless as many people believe they are. What about a complaint to the Ombudsman???

Advertisement