Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze in early/mid February?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I know this is off topic but i had to share lads. It's brilliant

lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

great stuff! im getting married in april after 12 years with my other half ;)

two questions if im allowed.... flying out to brusells 19 feb dub airport all good or bad luck, also q 2: what will brusells be like weather wise

cheers in advance :D

ps keep up good work, very interesting, oh by the way owenC i only commented because when it was -9 in galway a while back i could not find a salter for love nor money, there i was today been covered in salt while +9c was on car temp!! lol u could not make this **** up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The summer storms in the north, having experienced a few of them, are weaklings compared to what we get in the Republic.
    You should of wrote 'south' instead of the word 'republic' , seeing as I am in Donegal, the most northerly County in Ireland and it is in the Republic.

Thunderstorms , we get thunder but nothing spectactular really, can get very warm though, Car thermometers back in june were reaching 30 degrees but no doubt down by waterford and that would be much sunnier overall. When it gets that hot you dont notice much of a difference in a few degrees anyways.

So are people on here saying a Big freeze is on its way with high confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Feb 86'. The supreme of all weather events and probably the most easterly month we had in the 20th century. Will never happen again on the scale, at least in our lifetime I would reckon.

I was living in Essex, UK at the time, I had exams in feb 86. I remember snow drifts as high as the 1st floor of the house. Didnt go to school for 10 days and the army flew in bread/milk/water into the village for a good week or so.

They were the days when schools didnt close and if the heating froze you would be allowed to wear your coat during lessons!

Thats how bad it was!

Donegal weather book sales snowballed

BY CRONAN SCANLON

SALES of a Glenfin forecaster's book on weather prediction have snowballed since he rightly predicted a white Christmas.

Back in early December, Glenfin weather expert Michael 'Aimsir' Gallagher, told the Donegal News we would be having a 'whiter than white Christmas'.

And he was right.

Not only did it snow on Christmas Day, but the white stuff lay on the ground for almost three weeks.

Temperatures dropped below minus ten degrees during what turned out to be our coldest December in three decades.

Michael is one of the country's more unusual forecasters who uses clues in nature to predict the weather.

The popular postman launched his new book on weather prediction, 'Traditional Weather Signs', in August.

However, following the white Christmas, Michael was invited to join Ryan Tubridy for a special appearance on the Late Late Show.

Coupled with national and international newspaper and radio interviews, copies of his book started flying off the shelves.

Michael said his book about the old signs and how to read them is selling very well at home and abroad.

"Sales of my book have gone through the roof and I have people looking for them all over Ireland, and indeed, all over the world," Michael said this week.

"A lot of local people are buying the book and sending them to friends and relatives overseas. Its all about the traditional way of reading the weather and people are very interested in the Irish culture and the old ways. People who read the book say the remember their parents or grandparents telling them similar stories".

"When I started weather predictions years ago, I never thought it would go this far and that I would be up on the Late Late Show."

Michael also warned that the cold winter is far from over and that more snow is just around the corner.

"The snow is not over yet. There is still a lot of snow lying on the Bluestack Mountains and that means it is not away yet.

There is another cold bite left, but it will not be as bad as the spell we had at Christmas," he concluded.

Michael's book 'Traditional Weather Signs' costs only €10 and can be purchased at many outlets throughout the county including Eason's, Books Direct in Letterkenny Shopping Centre and the Four Master's Book Shop in Donegal Town.

Published: Thu, Jan 28, 2010

Will he be right again? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

looks like he might be right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Just a follow up to the forecast I posted yesterday.

Photos thread

Pangea wrote: »

"The snow is not over yet. There is still a lot of snow lying on the Bluestack Mountains and that means it is not away yet.

There is another cold bite left, but it will not be as bad as the spell we had at Christmas," he concluded.
    With the way the snow lies for months on lugnaquilla nearly every year - If I applied that tautology to forecasting shur we'd be shnowed in a lot of the time :rolleyes:
    The postman is right regarding some signs of nature but he's just lucky in my opinion.
    You can't rule out that he's heard a forecast or two in his travels either from people that have read this that or the other or even somewhere like here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

With the way the snow lies for months on lugnaquilla nearly every year - If I applied that tautology to forecasting shur we'd be shnowed in a lot of the time :rolleyes:
    The postman is right regarding some signs of nature but he's just lucky in my opinion.
    You can't rule out that he's heard a forecast or two in his travels either from people that have read this that or the other or even somewhere like here :pac:
    Indeed. It would be some irony if he did pay here a visit or two.

Just googled "Lugnaquilla" , it is the highest mountain in Wicklow and the only Munro (i.e. hill above 3000ft)
    Come on use your noggen, hes on about local hills , not bloody 3000 feet high, the local hills in donegal have snow covered on them the past few weeks and i havnt seen that before, and I dont understand why people give him such a hard time,hes not a prophet or hes not using magic, its what a lot of people were taught and hes just good at it, never mind michael my own parents told me about that when the snow is lying around it is waiting for more, and it was right because we got snow twice in the past week.
    As for him googling other sites, thats all nonsense, hes an old man from the gaelteacht with old traditions just because he predicts the weather without fantasy island charts doesnt make him a lunatic.

Also how can you call him lucky ,when every time he comes out to speak about the cold weather , it always happens, I have not seen him suggest a cold period and then it not to materialise , unlike forecasters on met eireann and indeed here on boards.

• Advertisement

Ach lug often has snow to it's base many times in winter and it's base is far from 3000-more like 1500ft which is what I was thinking rather than saying.

I didn't like tonights ECM.
    -7 850's at best that I can see and pressure too high and too close :/

Expect a bad farming forecast from Gerry murphy from a snow perspective if the 00z is the same.

Ach lug often has snow to it's base many times in winter and it's base is far from 3000-more like 1500ft which is what I was thinking rather than saying.

I didn't like tonights ECM.
    -7 850's at best that I can see and pressure too high and too close :/

Expect a bad farming forecast from Gerry murphy from a snow perspective if the 00z is the same.
    Im not talking about anything over 1000 ft, hills merely 500 ft has snow on them here.

Anyways I never expect a good forecast from gerry murphy, "Helloooo there and a very good evening to you" Ah Go away Gerry :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

'Snowmageddon' blankets Mid-Atlantic in white

videolthumb.a4eda418405f4f8e0011cbaa7ef4c1f6.jpg?x=213&y=160&xc=1&yc=1&wc=399&hc=300&q=85&sig=FGrna2oiQRycb9HGN6P7NA-- Play Video
    Snow piles up in the nation's capital

capt.f41b95a76ca6450492d20c00749ae11e.aptopix_winter_weather_vans103.jpg?x=213&y=139&xc=1&yc=1&wc=409&hc=267&q=85&sig=RIStaecRM.OWaHAbLHw34w-- AP – Eric Morris, left, and Billy Rowe, center, both Waynesboro, Va. public works employees, help police officer …

By JESSICA GRESKO, Associated Press Writer Jessica Gresko, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 59 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Mid-Atlantic residents were buried Saturday by a blizzard the president jokingly called "Snowmageddon," and those brave enough tried to clear a path through the wet, heavy mounds of thigh-high snow.
    The snow was falling too quickly in the nation's capital for crews to keep up, and was easily one of the worst snowstorms for D.C. in modern history. Officials begged residents to stay home and out of the way so that roads might be cleared in time for work Monday. The usually traffic-snarled roads were mostly barren, and Washington's familiar sites and monuments were covered with nearly 2 feet of snow.

Tihana and Jarrett Blanc had given up on digging, instead taking their dog, Hector, for a walk through northwest Washington during what forecasters said could be the biggest storm for the nation's capital in modern history.
    "Our car is stuck. We're not even trying," said Tihana, 36.
    The storm toppled trees and knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of customers in Washington, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The situation was the same in West Virginia, where some 400 National Guard troops were helping with snow removal.

Though the focal point remained the nation's capital, people from Pittsburgh, across Pennsylvania to Philadelphia, New Jersey and West Virginia were dealing with snow measured in feet instead of inches. Philadelphia, the nation's sixth-largest city, was virtually shut down.

Hundreds of car wrecks were reported, though only two people had died — a father and son who died while helping another motorist in Virginia. By Saturday, most people couldn't drive anywhere because their cars and roads were buried.

In Ellicott City, Md., Christine Benkoski said she was trying to dig out from at least 2 feet. As she tried to clear her driveway, she said she uncovered how the storm had transitioned from snow, to ice, then back to snow.
    "I feel like an archaeologist," Benkoski said.
    "I've been out here for an hour, and my only goal is to get to the street."

Airlines canceled flights, churches called off weekend services, and Amtrak and commuter trains ground to a halt. Some people wondered if they would be stuck at home for several days.

The snow comes less than two months after a Dec. 19 storm dumped more than 16 inches on Washington. Snowfalls of this magnitude — let alone two in one season — are rare in the area. According to the National Weather Service, Washington has gotten more than a foot of snow only 13 times since 1870.

The heaviest on record was 28 inches in January 1922. The biggest snowfall for the Washington-Baltimore area is believed to have been in 1772, before official records were kept, when as much as 3 feet fell, which George Washington and Thomas Jefferson penned in their diaries.

Despite the onslaught, some ventured outside for a chance to play. Snowballs were flying in normally bustling DuPont Circle, a major Washington thoroughfare. Hundreds of people gathered for a snowball fight with word spreading through Facebook, Twitter and TV commentators.

This vid was posted on NW

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=kpxiCxO5k0g#t=16

Advertisement