Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private forum descriptions

Options
  • 29-01-2010 11:10am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else get pissed off when they click on a link to a forum they've never heard of before and get presented with the generic 'sod off you pleb' access denied message?

Would it be possible that instead of this screen the user was pointed to a description of the forum and a list of its moderators so they could request access if the forum appealed to them?

I might be a nosy beggar but I see this all the time - links to forums with interesting names out about which I can't find anything.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Yes, and good idea!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Does anyone else get pissed of when they click on a link to a forum they've never heard of before and get presented with the generic 'sod off you pleb' access denied message?

I have almost never seen a link to a private forum on Boards. What would be the point in linking to such a forum ?

The only times I see a link to a private forum is under the nick of the forums moderator. And if the name interests you then you already know who the forum moderator is :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ponster wrote: »
    The only times I see a link to a private forum is under the nick of the forums moderator. And if the name interests you then you already know who the forum moderator is :)

That's where I usually see them (there are other instances such as links to Soccer, Sex and Sexuality... in posts) but I have no intention of PMing a mod to say 'what's that all about' every time I notice an interesting (or weird) sounding forum name.

It would be like having a golden pages with just the names and numbers of the companies and needing to ring them to know what they do.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I suppose if you havent been asked, youre not welcome there anyway. I would understand many of those forums are invitation only. Sure, its irritating, but in all honesty youre probably only missing out on the quite narrow discussions of a niche group. Bore ya to tears most likely. Its only interesting because its secret.

And if its private it would kind of defeat the purpose to be told all about it, wouldnt it?

Ok, yeah. I asked, and didnt get in either. Sigh. But Im not bitter.

The US Masters is invitation only but I still know what goes on at it.

I don't see how the mod of a forum would invite people unless he/she knew they would be interested and how they would be interested if they didn't know what the forum was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've clicked and wondered what some names are myself, but tbh, if I've not been invited to it, then I a) probably wouldn't have interest or b) aren't welcome.

As said, most of them are small niche groups for specifics, probably set up by a group of people who wanted their private forum for whatever reason, so if they want more people they'll pm/say it to people that they know/think might like it.

I got access to one once, without being asked did I want it, wasn't my kinda forum and I requested my access be taken back.

tl;dr meh, does it really matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Some private forums wouldn't want a public description out there.

Ooh, la di dah, we're so secret and private you can't know anything about us :P

Super deadly secret multiball forums shouldn't show up under the mods' names then.

What's PFJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ooh, la di dah, we're so secret and private you can't know anything about us :P
    Nothing to do with that at all
    Super deadly secret multiball forums shouldn't show up under the mods' names then.
    I agree with you, but it's probably a lot of techie work to make that happen, and the techie guys are more than likely snowed under with the recent issues, and other more pressing issues than this.
    What's PFJ?

A private forum. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Private forums are a little bit more diverse than things like golfer "members clubs" - a better analogy for the majority of them is a centrally located friend's house, or a café frequented by your mates.

Then there are some formal organizations with them, some very informal organizations with them... it's a melting pot, and realistically the software concept of a "private forum" is too black and white to adequately accomodate the needs of most people/groups who use them.

Social groups are actually a step in the right direction in my opinion, if a bit flakey right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Do private forums open the same way public ones do ? ,i.e same rules apply when looking for a new one.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Do private forums open the same way public ones do ? ,i.e same rules apply when looking for a new one.

I don't think so. I'd say that it's even easier to have a private then a public forum (which has to potentially attract a certain % of members and also be 'compatible' with the other forums on Boards).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

It'd be a good idea, but should be opt in/opt out for whoever manages the forum.

E.g Urban Exploration is not by invite it's by request, and pretty open and obvious to what it's about.

Diagon Alley is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

pickarooney, you do not have permission to access this post. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1) You may be trying to read my post in a critical manner, like a teacher, or one of the many bosses I have had over the years.
    For clarification, check my profile page.
    2) You may be banned from reading this post if you disagreed with an element of the post's contents.
    3) Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this post. Are you trying to edit my post, why would you do that, pickarooney, don't you know it's mine? :mad:
    4) If you are trying to post my post, that's plagarism and the mod of Creative Writing should know better. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I understand the whole 'Private Forum' thing (sort of) but I agree with Picka aswell. Surely there are some private forums that would benefit from new members every once in a while? Of course it is up to the community of the forum to decide, but surely there is no harm in a user asking what the forum is about and requesting access if they think they might be interested.

WindSock wrote: »
    I understand the whole 'Private Forum' thing (sort of) but I agree with Picka aswell. Surely there are some private forums that would benefit from new members every once in a while?

Private forums do do that! Though not all suggestions by members are accepted by the group. :(
    Of course it is up to the community of the forum to decide, but surely there is no harm in a user asking what the forum is about and requesting access if they think they might be interested.

People can always ask. I'd probably be to shy too myself but the option is always there.

Surely there are some private forums that would benefit from new members every once in a while?

Maybe, but the ones I've been in had a healthy flow of new members and have been a lot more active than other public forums.

If anyone is interested this was the outcome the last time we had this discussion....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why not have a private forum that contains a list of the private forums....

When people (like the OP) ask, they get directed there for vetting

That way you can moderate who will see the list and obviously not have boardsisgay666 signing up just to see the Private forums :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

but surely there is no harm in a user asking what the forum is about and requesting access if they think they might be interested.

But then you are setting up people to be potentially rebuffed from private forums that they like the sound of but who (the existing forum) want to decide who they invite themselves.

To be fair, if people set up a private forum it's that way for a reason.
    How would you feel if you asked for access and were refused? You'd get people starting to complain about being rejected from X forum without a given reason.

If a private forum wants you, they'll ask you. If they want people to know they exist in the hopes of encouraging new members, I'm sure they'll come up with a way of showing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

While I understand the need for certain forums to be private/have limited access (e.g. Soccer, Dick-measuring... sorry, Sex & Sexuality), having private forums that are mere "hang-outs" is just elitist, exclusionary tripe which hardly helps dispel the notion that there is a clique culture on Boards. And I've been invited to two of these hangout forums - utterly nothing interesting about them whatsoever. What's the point? Seriously?

And having them as links under people's usernames totally looks like "Ha ha, you can't get in!!!" Can't they be removed from under usernames? They are "sekkrit" (or however that "wacky" word is spelt) after all. Des, if PFJ is on display for all to see, I don't see the harm in explaining what it stands for.

I think it's either not very possible and or far too much work to figure out how to have them not under the Mods names.

Dudess wrote: »
    While I understand the need for certain forums to be private/have limited access (e.g. Soccer, Dick-measuring... sorry, Sex & Sexuality), having private forums that are mere "hang-outs" is just elitist...

How is it elitist?
    exclusionary

Sure. But only for the people who aren't members.

Private forums are fine provided nobody is flaunting them in anyone else's face. A few links here and there under people's usernames are harmless enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Private forums are fine provided nobody is flaunting them in anyone else's face. A few links here and there under people's usernames are harmless enough.

Agreed, I have (had) two in my signature purely to be able to find it since its not on the 'system'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The idea that private circle-jerks (the hangout ones with no particular purpose) exist in the first place just doesn't sit well with me, that's all.

Some people put links to them in their sigs, which is shoving them in people's faces. Fair enough if links under the mod's name can't be disabled, but people should be told what they stand for if they ask, instead of being dismissed.

The idea that private circle-jerks (the hangout ones with no particular purpose) exist in the first place just doesn't sit well with me, that's all.

Fair enough. But they're not far removed from Private Social Groups. The just have all the nice bells and whitles vBulletin provides.
    Some people put links to them in their sigs, which is shoving them in people's faces. Fair enough if links under the mod's name can't be disabled, but people should be told what they stand for if they ask, instead of being dismissed.

Depends on the size of the sig in my opinion. But I imagine if people politely enquire they'll be told, in broad terms, what the forum is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I asked for a private forum becuase of on thread circle jerking. Isnt it better to do it in private than on thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Private forums arent really my thing. Unless you know the people there is no one point in feeling left out that you arent "in". Plus as said above, its full of private circle-jerking. Which is fine, but best to have it off the public forums as it does nothing to attract newbs and gives a wrong impression of a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Private forum members that feel like giving an explanation could create a page on the biki :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The idea that private circle-jerks

why the hell do people have such a hard time with a forum they can't see?
    If you and your mates are sitting at a table in pub having a private conversation, and I strolled up, I'd probably not be welcome to join in. So does that mean that you guys are circle jerking?

If you want to join, send a pm to the mod. If you don't think you can take the potential rejection, then don't.

just live and let live ffs.

I say that as someone who isn't in a private forum btw.

Advertisement