Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private forum descriptions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Nerin wrote: »
    Private forum members that feel like giving an explanation could create a page on the biki :)

Indeed and the biki has some there already.

That said there is private forums that not I even know about cos I don't go looking.
    Although it is nice to have a direction, most of the private forums whom have a group, or be it clique will generally vet members.
    Other private forums are there and sekrit as its userbase have a feel of security on what is posted in there. Their boyfriend/girlfriend, employer etc wouldnt see the post.

Knowing all about private forums for the sake of knowing is near the same as asking your work colleague what's inside his/her payslip this month.
    My advise though is if anyone has an interest in a private forum then try find the moderator and send a polite PM. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if people from the private think you can add something to their forum, you will be asked.

whats the point in joining a private forum about reading glasses if you dont wear reading glasses ?

these forums are set up so people can talk openly and not worry about their posts being quoted all over the place

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

irishbird wrote: »
    whats the point in joining a private forum about reading glasses if you dont wear reading glasses ?

You wouldn't join it, or even ask to join it, if you knew what it was about.

How about having the private forum links under mods' names in another colour then so we know to avoid cliquing on them?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

avoid cliquing on them?
    Intentional or not, funny misspelling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tbh wrote: »
    why the hell do people have such a hard time with a forum they can't see?
    Dudess had the nail on the head I think. It gets back to the long present taboo that there is a clique on boards made up of regular users and/or moderators which throws a Biased Wrench into the gearworks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How about having the private forum links under mods' names in another colour then so we know to avoid cliquing on them?

I see what you did there. :)

In other news, one of the Private Forums which I moderate has recently been made public.

Smoking. :)

And Dudess, dispel a myth about cliques? Of course there are cliques, but that doesn't mean people are secretly plotting against others, or that there's some big conspiracy.

It just means that people have a place to post whatever the hell they want, according to the rules as laid out by the Private Forum.

Sometimes they are just places to shoot the shít away from others, y'know.

If that's not for you, then cool, but some people do want that, and the powers-that-be have graciously allowed them that space.

It's also just a teeny bit hypocritical for members of private forums to carry that A/C/T thing in their sigs, IMHO.

I followed a link Seamus posted on this or the other thread Ponster linked to and found a bunch of Easter Eggs. Deadly.

Overheal wrote: »
    Dudess had the nail on the head I think. It gets back to the long present taboo that there is a clique on boards made up of regular users and/or moderators which throws a Biased Wrench into the gearworks.

Here's a list of some private forums, some of which I have access to, some I don't.

Moderaters Forum
    Admins Forum

Do you think they should be publically viewable?

It's also just a teeny bit hypocritical for members of private forums to carry that A/C/T thing in their sigs, IMHO.

The only way you'd know I was a member of any private forums is because I happen to Mod one.

You are also a member of a private forum, which I am a part of too, should we open that one up for everyone to see? Genuine question here.

The Private Forum which I am Mod of, has absolutely nothing to do with ACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Des wrote: »
    And Dudess, dispel a myth about cliques? Of course there are cliques, but that doesn't mean people are secretly plotting against others, or that there's some big conspiracy.

It just means that people have a place to post whatever the hell they want, according to the rules as laid out by the Private Forum.

Sometimes they are just places to shoot the shít away from others, y'know.

If that's not for you, then cool, but some people do want that, and the powers-that-be have graciously allowed them that space.

this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Why so?

Also - there are cliques in public forums too. So saying all private forums are promoting cliqueness is a crap argument.

They're created for whatever reason, they have who they want in it, why should they have to say to people what their forums for if they don't want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I tend to find that those private forums which are pretty much open membership and would be of interest to a wide variety of members - Lolo, Spell Czechs - are widely known about or at least easily found through sigs and the like.

Anything else isn't worth knowing about, by which I mean if you haven't heard of it through your normal posting or friends on boards then it's probably not something you'd be interested in anyway. No grand secrets or circle jerking or cliquishness. I'm a member of one or two myself and I guarantee you nobody would be remotely interested in half the shlte that gets posted in them - it's just banter between people who'd be a bit closer than your average boardsies.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

Is Spell Czechs Private?

Never knew that

Would anyone like access to Team Boardroom? It's a forum set up so myself and the assistant manager can talk about previous and upcoming matches, because we know that some of the opposition players read the public team forum, we like to keep our plans away from them.

Does that meet everyone's approval, or is it too clique-ish?:confused:

Here's a list of some private forums, some of which I have access to, some I don't.

Moderaters Forum
    Admins Forum

Do you think they should be publically viewable?
    Integral Site functions versus say the Knights of Comeonbanus. Whom's very name almost seems to imply the clique of people that cant be banned :cool:

You are also a member of a private forum, which I am a part of too, should we open that one up for everyone to see? Genuine question here.

Are you asking me if we should make all private forums public? Because that's not what this thread is about at all.

I do think we should provide a brief description of each private forum which would display isntead of the Go Away page that currently shows up - which is what I said in my first post. I'm not fully sure what you're asking me to clarify.

I don't know what the ACT malarkey is really about, but if the T is for transparency where's the Transparency in having a link under your name which tells users to get lost if they click on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Is Spell Czechs Private?

Never knew that

Yeah, I'd to apply for access anyhow.
    Integral Site functions versus say the Knights of Comeonbanus. Whom's very name almost seems to imply the clique of people that cant be banned :cool:

I'd say that's more than a tad tinfoil hattish, tbh. I don't see what's so wrong with a group of friends having a private forum where they can shoot the breeze. You can be damn sure that if a group of a few people were having clearly private and personal convos in an open forum they'd be smacked for taking over threads or going OT.

That forum has been there since I joined Boards, I think. I always saw it as a somewhat humourous, or ironic, moniker.

I never let it bother me, why would it bother me? I didn't know the people posting there, so I couldn't really care less what they post.

More importantly, I think, they didn't want anyone other than themselves to see the posts.

have you ever applied to join that forum?

Would anyone like access to Team Boardroom? It's a forum set up so myself and the assistant manager can talk about previous and upcoming matches, because we know that some of the opposition players read the public team forum, we like to keep our plans away from them.

Does that meet everyone's approval, or is it too clique-ish?:confused:

I appreciate the fact that you told us what it is.

• Advertisement

get lost if they click on it?

it doesn't say get lost, and it doesn't call you a pleb. IF you're reading that into a standard message that says you don't have access, it points to an inferiority complex on your part, to be frank.

it doesn't say get lost, and it doesn't call you a pleb. IF you're reading that into a standard message that says you don't have access, it points to an inferiority complex on your part, to be frank.

It points to an ability to paraphrase. I don't believe you took it literally.

I don't know what the ACT malarkey is really about, but if the T is for transparency where's the Transparency in having a link under your name which tells users to get lost if they click on it?

I didn't design it like that, and I already said that I agree with that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Firstly, I doubt that's overly possible for the IT guys to do - have a page with a description on it. If you clicked a moderator forum it gives you the same go away page.

Secondly, the ACT thing (which isn't a private forum, it's a social groupy thingy and thus it's different) gives you an explanation when you click on any of the links provided so I don't see how that's hypocritical at all. In fact if anything it's what you want.

I really don't get this big 'omg out all the private forums' crap. It does not grate on my life *that* much if I don't have access somewhere. If you're that curious about someones modding of a private forum, pm them and ask them. But IMO they've every right not to tell you or to decline you access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Are you asking me if we should make all private forums public? Because that's not what this thread is about at all.

I do think we should provide a brief description of each private forum which would display isntead of the Go Away page that currently shows up - which is what I said in my first post. I'm not fully sure what you're asking me to clarify.
    Its a private forum so why should it tell people what its about? If you want to know then pm the mod and ask them!

This is a social group. Completely different to a private forum. If you click the link to ACT you'll see what the group is about.

It points to an ability to paraphrase. I don't believe you took it literally.

you posted it, I took you at face value. My bad, obviously.

Hi Frank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When I requested tLL, I was told ahh it's not needed, that's what HoLL is for.

A) I hadn't a clue what HoLL was

2) I didn't know how I was supposed to know about it or how to get access

C) I didn't even get asked to be a member of it.

So what is the point in having these places if people aren't going to know what they are for or how to get access.

I completely understand if someone doesn't want me in their private forum btw, I know I don't have a divine right to go to whatever forum I wish.

I find the whole set up a bit strange and exclusionary though, as the names of these places are quite obscure, I don't know if I wish to request access. Also, I have been around here long enough and established myself to be not a complete muppet (sometimes ;) ) but I still feel reluctant to PM any mods and ask them what their forum is about. I feel like the whole thing is shrouded in unnecessary secrecy.

have you ever applied to join that forum?
    I feel like I've sent off PMs about it before but thats impossible to check now. My PM history tends to get purged by yours truly when I cap 500, unsubbed. Whether I've ever received a response or even a polite shove-off though would be debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

83.jpg

Advertisement