Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private forum descriptions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm going to assume this is aimed at me, and i'd appreciate if you stopped mis-quoting me...

and if your not mis-quoting me then your simply making up a counter arguement because nobody has implied anything of the sort...

also for the record, i've asked for access to one private forum on the recommendation of another user and was granted access so i don't have any sort of hidden agenda..

So your issue is that if a mod doesn't like you, you don't get access to their forum, and you want that changed somehow.

That's the gist I'm getting from your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why would you want access to a forum you know nothing about? That's a bit ...weird, no?
    That may have come out wrong. I mean to be pinging mods asking about various forums with nondescript names (PFJ, Knights of Comeonbanus) would be both rude and time consuming the way I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Des wrote: »
    neither forum may ever know about the other.
    Except they would - in name anyway.

Overheal wrote: »
    That may have come out wrong. I mean to be pinging mods asking about various forums with nondescript names (PFJ, Knights of Comeonbanus) would be both rude and time consuming the way I see it.

So what is your suggested alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Silverfish wrote: »
    So your issue is that if a mod doesn't like you, you don't get access to their forum, and you want that changed somehow.

That's the gist I'm getting from your posts.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64225006&postcount=82

• Advertisement

Yes, I saw that.

So if you get rejected, you won't know if the moderator just didn't put it to the members, or if the second moderator didn't like you either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am too sure about all the private forums as i am only a member of a few but the ones i am involved all have more then one mod, one in fact has 4.

all requests to join the forum are put to all the members and everyone has to agree before they granted access.

and to be honest, why would you want to join a forum where the mod doesnt like you ? that is the whole point of the private forums you dont have to deal with people who are on not on the same level as everyone else in the forum.

Yes, I saw that.

So if you get rejected, you won't know if the moderator just didn't put it to the members, or if the second moderator didn't like you either.

Well i'd like to think if there was a set procedure in place that it would be followed...

but then maybe i'm naive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

but then maybe i'm naive.

Maybe a little ? Private forums can really do whatever they like in regards accepting or not accepting members. There may or may not be a process in place.

Ponster wrote: »
    Maybe a little ? Private forums can really do whatever they like in regards accepting or not accepting members. There may or may not be a process in place.

yes i know!! hence the "if"...

tbh honest none of this really affects me in the slightest, but a devils advocate was required!

• Advertisement

So what is your suggested alternative?
    I've suggested in the Past on this very forum of feedback some measure by which Private Forums may opt in to contributing to a list/registrar that public users can read and understand what forums might be appealing and what forums might be considered uninteresting/localized to pat's pub down in the langers etc.

Like Nerin Suggests if theres not already a biki page (fancy if we could get made aware of one) to create one and invite the private forums to drop a line or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Des wrote: »
    OK, let's take the special interest argument incidence.

Smoking was, until today, what you would probably term a "special interest private forum". For as long as I was moderator, I only ever denied access to one person, on the grounds that I had ascertained from previous posts that they were under the age of 18. It was a forum rule, so no dice.

Anyone could have PMd me for access, many did, and I never would have dreamed of denying someone access.

But that's how the forum rolled.

Other Private Forums may be small communities, not "special interest". Their members may, or may not, be open to new members. They may have some criteria for membership which they may see in people from their posts, and then extend an invite to join them. Nobody ever knows until they are invited, nor should anyone care.

Let's say I set up a Private Forum called "People who like to post in Feedback" and called it PWLTPIF. I'd see that you have posted in Feedback in the past, I'd say to the other members of the forum "Hey guys, Dudess seems to like to post in Feedback, wanna invite her in?". Now, someone may object, and that's ok, because you'd never know and could get on with your life without even knowing there is such a forum.

Of course, if you wanted to join a private forum for people who like posting in Feedback, you could ask the Admin could you have a Private Forum, you might call it "People who post in Feedback" or PWPIF, and you could have all your members there, and neither forum may ever know about the other.

Crazy isn't it?

There are probably tens of Private Forums for people who just want to shoot the shít. All given Admin Approval, all different groups, because the people in Comeonbanus don't necessarily want to shoot the shít with the people in PWLTPIF.

I've held off on posting in this thread until I saw this post, which I think makes more sense than many of the other posts here.

There is one suggestion I'd like to make, and it's to do with the idea of a private forum that's open to people to request access vs. the idea of "private communities", a place where membership is very exclusive, something akin to the idea of 12 people setting up a place for them to discuss meeting up together.
    I think it'd be a good idea for the forums to have some form of a tag saying either they're open to other people to asking for permission to join, or else they're closed off.

Though to be really honest, private forums don't madly affect me. Sure, I'd be curious to know what goes on in them, and there were one or two others I'd genuinely like to have joined, but what difference does it make? None to me anyway.

Like Nerin Suggests if theres not already a biki page (fancy if we could get made aware of one) to create one and invite the private forums to drop a line or two.

I'm pretty sure there is a biki yep !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm actually confused at this stage - what's the essential difference between a private forum and a social group (apart from the fact that social groups have a description page)? why on earth would you need a mod, or even a forum for that matter, for 5 or 6 mates shooting the breeze?

I've gone off topic now but smashey has answered my question from a technical and historical pov.

Maybe the biki could be added to the Access Denied message?

I'm actually confused at this stage - what's the essential difference between a private forum and a social group (apart from the fact that social groups have a description page)? why on earth would you need a mod, or even a forum for that matter, for 5 or 6 mates shooting the breeze?

I've gone off topic now but smashey has answered my question from a technical and historical pov.

Maybe the biki could be added to the Access Denied message?

well the only one i'm a member of is an extention of an existing forum... well an older slightly disturbed cousin.

That and smoking which appears to be dead!

Ponster wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is a biki yep !
    Well I cant check: Its offline.

Well I cant check: Its offline.

Just trust me overheal :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dudess wrote: »
    Why the hell do people take opinions/criticisms so personally here?

why did you have to describe it as a circle-jerk? It gives people an impression of private forums that they don't deserve and it adds to the overall air of unpleasantness that's been around here lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I mod two (well 3 but one is a mod forum which only myself and my co mod have access to). One of them is fairly well known and we call it a 'Semi-Private forum', there are requirements for access but they aren't big. Once you don't have a shedload of bans/infractions and we can come to the opinion you are over 18 you're in.

The other, well there are requirements and I will discuss these with anybody that wants access and anybody I have discussed the requirements with has been happy with my reasons. Anyway in reality it's really a group of mates shooting the sh1t where they can post things that won't be read by wives/girlfriends/employers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm actually confused at this stage - what's the essential difference between a private forum and a social group (apart from the fact that social groups have a description page)?

social groups were not available until about a year ago. Before the last upgrade of vB, there was no option of a social group.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    why did you have to describe it as a circle-jerk?
    Because that's, essentially, what it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Probably because you're being so personal and insulting. Just a thought.

I fail to see how, but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

WindSock wrote: »
    I find the whole set up a bit strange and exclusionary though, as the names of these places are quite obscure, I don't know if I wish to request access. Also, I have been around here long enough and established myself to be not a complete muppet (sometimes ;) ) but I still feel reluctant to PM any mods and ask them what their forum is about. I feel like the whole thing is shrouded in unnecessary secrecy.

I understand, I'm the same, but it's the best option if you think you're curious about a forum. If you don't know what a particular private forum is for then I'd say the chances are you don't want to. I don't know what most of them are for; I probably don't even know most of them exist.

And, yes, they are exclusionary. That's the nature of anything private, like a PM, say. Dunno about strange. Maybe from the outside. Once you're in you might change your mind. You don't want them to lose their sense of mystery, do you?
    I can't see why it would be that difficult, but I know nothing either.
    Do the moderator forums have links under user names?

Not sure if this was answered already but yeah, they do.
    As I said earlier, soccer and its offshoots will attract ass-hats so it's understandable they'd be private/limited.

I agree that we need an ass-hat forum, probably as a sub-forum of FAP.
    I want to be able to show up at all your houses and demand access. Even if you don't like me. Especially if you don't like me.

I like you. :(

I'd said this earlier, but you get all the bells and whistles of a forum. So, for example, you can jump to the last page of a conversation from the thread list (you cannot do this in a social group).
    Because that's, essentially, what it is.

I'm disappointed in you; you should have used the more PC term "love-in".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Why does it offend you so much? It's already been explained that the appearance of forum titles under mods' names is a technical thing. Of the couple of private forums I'm a part of, I can't remember the last time I saw a sig with a link; for the most part they're under hosted and generally out of sight, so they're hardly being flaunted.

And you make it sound as if cliques are exclusive to private forums, when they're not. There are cliques all over boards, it's just the nature of having hundreds of forums where like-minded folk come together. If people are given the opportunity to do that privately then it's not really anyone else's business tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My last word on this:

Assuming you're not taking the piss when you say that a lot of private forums are just for a few mates to talk amongst themselves, how is it justifiable for boards to give space over to this kind of craic and to turn down legitimate requests for public arenas like a Classic Rock forum?

There are cliques all over boards
    Indeed there are - and dedicated private forums for them appears to legitimise their existence.

My understanding of private forums (correct me if I'm wrong) was that they are hosted forums.

Boards.ie will host these forums for people under request and within reason.

Like, we will let you have the use of our site for your private or non-private (as some hosted forums are) forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

My last word on this:

Assuming you're not taking the piss when you say that a lot of private forums are just for a few mates to talk amongst themselves, how is it justifiable for boards to give space over to this kind of craic and to turn down legitimate requests for public arenas like a Classic Rock forum?

Because private forums are private, aren't going to get them into legal hassle, don't require the same amount of moderation, aren't in danger of making other public forums redundant... lots of reasons.

As for "giving over space" - it's not like the internet is running out of space.
    Indeed there are - and dedicated private forums for them appears to legitimise their existence.

C'mon Dudess - if I go out for a few drinks with *some* of my friends, not inviting others, is that a clique too?

It's not a crime to want to be able to have more detailed conversations with people I know better than your average boardsie, where exactly is the harm?

It's rude to sit in a room full of people and talk loudly to your mate about that girl, you know that girl we went to school with, I saw her the other day and you'll never guess what she's up to... you'd move to another room, or save it for when you're not in public. That's all we're talking about. If that's a clique or a circle-jerk then I need to start publishing the minutes of every conversation I've ever had so the rest of my friends don't feel excluded or rejected because I didn't have it with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

My last word on this:

I thought your issue was with the lack of descriptions on them when you click the linky?

So, really, that's your first word on this. :)

Advertisement