Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private forum descriptions

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rabies wrote: »
    I think this has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too in depth.

Private forums = private

Unless they're not actually private, but restricted. Some people don't want to disturb the mods to find out which it is, some mods don't want to be hassled and others don't want to give out any information about the forums.

If I ran a private club I'd get tired answering the phone and telling people it was a closed club. I'd put a sign outside to that effect or not publish the club's number anywhere.

I'm perplexed as to why so many people have difficulty understanding such a simple point.

Take your forums for example. I'm apparently a member of Nein 11. It's not that hard to imagine that I might wonder what Nein 10 is. If I want to know, I have to pester you with a PM. Being in New Zealand, if and when you reply it would probably be the next day and then along the lines of "sorry, it's a private club" or "here's what it's about, want to join?"

Is is really that absurd to suggest that this could be done automatically in one click?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm perplexed as to why so many people have difficulty understanding such a simple point.

me too.

just assume that they don't want you to know. If they want you to know, you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

tbh wrote: »
    me too.

just assume that they don't want you to know. If they want you to know, you'll know.

Exactly. If a private forum wants new members / wants you specifically as a member, they will have invitations in their sigs or will send you a PM invite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Unless they're not actually private, but restricted. Some people don't want to disturb the mods to find out which it is, some mods don't want to be hassled and others don't want to give out any information about the forums.

That is part of being a mod or a hmod, if someone is snarky to you about answering a simple question and you think they are "being a dick" then report the pm for admins to look at.
    If I ran a private club I'd get tired answering the phone and telling people it was a closed club. I'd put a sign outside to that effect or not publish the club's number anywhere.

Fair enough but that is not the system in place.
    Take your forums for example. I'm apparently a member of Nein 11. It's not that hard to imagine that I might wonder what Nein 10 is. If I want to know, I have to pester you with a PM. Being in New Zealand, if and when you reply it would probably be the next day and then along the lines of "sorry, it's a private club" or "here's what it's about, want to join?"

That to me looks standard to the majority of interaction I have had about private forums, why is the above not acceptable to you?
    Is is really that absurd to suggest that this could be done automatically in one click?

Why do you shy away from asking the hmod of the forum?
    As the range of forums are so wide and varied, there is no one size fits all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to point out, it's already been said that the default message you get, will not be changed, because it would be too awkward (possibly not even viable) to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

star-pants wrote: »
    Just to point out, it's already been said that the default message you get, will not be changed, because it would be too awkward (possibly not even viable) to implement.

Yep, noted and accepted. I just felt obligated to explain what I was talking about to those who didn't understand what I was saying. It was a simple suggestion to make things easier for everyone but it's not technicalyl feasible so no biggie. This thread can be resumed in two posts (notwithstanding the tangent in the middle): suggestion followed by reason why suggestion is a non-starter.

No doubt someone will reply with "leave us alone in our private forums, why must you try rock the boat" and start the whole non-debate off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i too am a member of Nein 11 and got curious about Nein 10 after the name change, proceeded to "pester" Rabies and he PM'd back straight away because he's a helpful accommodating guy as i assume most people are..

Aye just to point out, in fairness if someone gets made a mod, they take on the responsibility of having people pm them regarding not only their forums but possibly other things. I've had posters ask me for help with putting up youtube links or photos and so forth and I'll pm and walk them through step by step etc.
    I have zero problem with anyone pm'ing me to ask me something, or even to talk to me. I'll always reply as best I can.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dudess wrote: »
    While I understand the need for certain forums to be private/have limited access (e.g. Soccer, Dick-measuring... sorry, Sex & Sexuality), having private forums that are mere "hang-outs" is just elitist, exclusionary tripe which hardly helps dispel the notion that there is a clique culture on Boards. And I've been invited to two of these hangout forums - utterly nothing interesting about them whatsoever. What's the point? Seriously?

And having them as links under people's usernames totally looks like "Ha ha, you can't get in!!!" Can't they be removed from under usernames? They are "sekkrit" (or however that "wacky" word is spelt) after all. Des, if PFJ is on display for all to see, I don't see the harm in explaining what it stands for.

More importantly, if people are discussing topics that could better be discussed in public fora, e.g. politics, AH etc, then having private fora means that there will be less traffic for the topical public forums.

It seems to me that one of the biggest changes in boards.ie's direction is not any of this heavy handed moderator nonsense which is often argued as the change in boards, but rather the way in which boards seems to be fragmenting. I hope that there aren't interesting debates going on in private fora which would be much better in public fora. That, in my view, would be very bad for boards.ie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Des wrote: »
    I see what you did there. :)

In other news, one of the Private Forums which I moderate has recently been made public.

Smoking. :)

That's a good example because occasionally posters will wander into Beer Wine & Spirits with a cigar/pipe question only to be told it's not really relevant, bounced around a bit, told there is a smoking forum and then eventually disappearing.

Where do the other private fora exist though? I know that Soccer/Sex&Sexuality etc appear in the main lists but are accessable/postable, but if someone had a question about smoking, how would they have known that there is a private forum for that purpose?

• Advertisement

Where do the other private fora exist though? I know that Soccer/Sex&Sexuality etc appear in the main lists but are accessable/postable, but if someone had a question about smoking, how would they have known that there is a private forum for that purpose?

Well I'm not 100% but I think the name of the forum of Smoking was visible like S&S/Soccer, but that you couldn't get in without requesting access.
    Obv one of the smoking mods would have to clarify that but I assume that's how it was.

The other types of private forums are not really along those mainstream lines. As has been said, they're more maybe social or social/topic specific. So it's not a loss to the site persay, they're not taking away from the site.

Dub13 wrote: »
    This is about Slydice right...?most probably woman trying to infiltrate it.Is there nowhere left safe for us menfolk.

Also another problem with private fora - their jokes and references spilling into the public fora. Ho Ho let's joke about Slydice (?) it's funny because we know what it is but everyone else doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

TheZohan wrote: »
    On the subject of that, wouldn't it be a better idea if all of these private fora had more than one moderator?

If you had people in a private forum that you felt needed to be kept an eye on, then of course a second Mod would be needed.
    What would happen if one mod had a falling out with a particular user or there was a case of bullying etc?

If that happened, and knowing the people in PaC they would all report it.

And I would deal with it through the proper channels.
    Who's to say that these private fora don't bitch about other non-members behind their backs? Is there a standard set of guidelines and rules that all private fora have to adhere to? If so, who checks on these?

It is in the Charter of PaC that users/posters in PaC are not allowed to discuss people that are not members.

You must have read it before you posted.

Sorry, I have had a lot of things going on, but I have replied now.

Better late than never.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

It is in the Charter of PaC that users/posters in PaC are not allowed to discuss people that are not members.
    Charter in LPA says pretty much the same thing. What is said there, stays there.

Private forums go against what is boards?

/shakes head

This started as a gaming site about quake and different clans/teams had thier own private forums to organise themselves and plan for competative matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I may have gotten this whole private forum thing all wrong. They actually are totally cool dudes...

It's like an accident...as they drive past, you know they have to do something about it because you know they are the only ones that can really help.

And then when Papa Smurf asked every one what are the rules of Smurfdom and all the Smurfs replied 'Don't go into Papa Smurfs lab without permission'

It's kinda like that, you know?

To sum up:
    Private forum members: A great bunch of lads

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Private forums go against what is boards?

/shakes head

Sorry, who said that?

Dudess wrote: »
    Fair points - I can understand the point of a private social forum now... even if a part of me still thinks it goes against the spirit of Boards.

Advertisement