Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford hydraulics problems

• 29-01-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a Ford 7610 with a Tanco 968 loader. The loader will lift lift up and down empty but with a load on, it wont lift at all. Oil levels seem to be ok. The lift arms are working fine. I changed the hoses to the other spool valves but the same result. Has anyone ever had experience of a problem like this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

fred432 wrote: »
    I have a Ford 7610 with a Tanco 968 loader. The loader will lift lift up and down empty but with a load on, it wont lift at all. Oil levels seem to be ok. The lift arms are working fine. I changed the hoses to the other spool valves but the same result. Has anyone ever had experience of a problem like this?
    Thanks

Two questions for you
    1. What's the oil level in the back axle? - this si the oil resevoir for the hydraulic pump.
    2. When was the last time you changed the hydraulic oil filter? If it's dirty then it will restrict the oil flow.

I hope one of those 2 things, if not you could be looking at a damaged oil pump.

Also your local garage should have a pressure guage that can be connected to the spool valves, they will be able to tell you if the pressure is correct in the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If it wont lift with a load but will when no load, then you are loosing pressure.
    I saw it happen to a neighbour. An old tractor. He had just changed the oil. The new oil was standard hydraulic which is lighter than Universal Farm oil. It leaked that bit more internally so he was loosing pressure. He put in Universal Farm instead (a thicker oil) and it worked fine.

As far as I know, the back arms and Loader work off the same pressure relief valve so this is unlikely to have failed. It may be set that bit too low though. There is a coil spring in these which sets the pressure. This will weaken over time so the pressure drops that little bit.

When you start to lift off the ground with a loader, you will see that the rams are nearly level, yet they are tyrying to lift the load up. The start of lifting therefore is where the most hydraulic pressure is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

if you can get your hand on the pressure tester then check the spool valve on the back of the tractor as well as the loader ones.

some loaders will have their own relief valve in their valve chest. this would narrow down where the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

The oil level is ok in the back axle. Changed the 2 filters when it stopped lifting but they would have been changed regularly anyway. I connected a hose direct from both spool valves to the ram on the loader and it still would not lift. This was to rule out the valve chest and the operating levers on the loader. I was hoping that I had missed something easy!! I might try the universal oil before ripping it!
    Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Did it stop working suddenly or was it a gradual thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭fred432

It went over 3 or 4 days. Not rising as much and slower each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

did you try tipping a trailer with the spools on the back to see if you have the same problem there?
    it could be o rings or seals in the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lignum

Does your tractor have the extra hydraulic pump driven off the flywheel on the left hand side of the engine? I think that feeds the spools through the priority valve under the floor, that pump could be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

dude bring to a mechanic who knows fords, where are you located and ill recommend one. unless you know exactly what your doing your going to spend too much time and money trying to fix the preblem.

Advertisement