Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does passport have to valid for travel to US

Options
  • 29-01-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I'm travelling to the USA in early April for 1 week. My passport will run out in late May. Will this passport be ok for travel or do I need one that will be valid past my return date. I am an Irish citizen

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Your passport needs to be valid for the length of your stay in the US, if it is you're fine, if it runs out they MAY stamp it beyond the length of your stay anyway, but this is entirely at the border guard's discretion and they and they may not do so and will refuse you entry, I have known people in both circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I thought it had to be valid for 6 months after you enter? I've heard people say that's not important and they got in with less time on their passport, but I personally I wouldn't risk it, if they say 6 months give them 6 months. If you're not leaving 'til April then you've loads of time, it only takes 2 weeks to get a new one and you're going to have to do it in May anyway, why procrastinate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You need six months to get a visa but on the visa waiver program its only required until your departure date. In any case you're right, get a new passport. You have a good 4 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I thought it was 6 months from your departure date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jillx

Hi,
    I can see that there are alot of thread for travelling to america... but Ijust want to be absolutely sure... Is it the case that you can travel to america if you travel within the expiry of your passport and you get esta approval? Sorry if this has been answered a million times already!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

jillx wrote: »
    Hi,
    I can see that there are alot of thread for travelling to america... but Ijust want to be absolutely sure... Is it the case that you can travel to america if you travel within the expiry of your passport and you get esta approval? Sorry if this has been answered a million times already!!

Most likely yes, but the border guards have discretion to deny you if they feel you have immigrant intent or they notice something is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jillx

Thanks for that silja... so much different info on the internet!!

Advertisement