Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Great stuff shotgun, I enjoyed reading those reports.

The triathlon was superb, how fantastic to finish top 10 in an NS event. The swim split was seriously impressive but IMO you have been threatening that for a while. It must be a great feeling to emerge so high up the field knowing that your bike, and now run is so strong. It's a great sign when nobody passes you on the run, yesterday was y second run in a row in a sprint that I wasn't passed (last year I went backwards on the run). By the way an investment in a profile design bottle would help you re getting drink on board while on the bike, I find it great, no getting up, wobbling, loss of momentum etc...
    Also your comment on not getting enough practice on you TT bike has giving me an idea. For the rest of the summer (except in taper time) I have decided to ditch strength maintenance in favor of hill repeats starting tomorrow. It never crossed my mind to use my TT bike but of course I should and now will.

W200 seems like a savage cycle dude. That sort of thing will be great for toughness, mental and physical indeed. Well done, it just show how good your base training was, funny during the base period you can wonder if you are getting any better, you just have to trust you are and yesterday would have confirmed that. Well done again dude and keep it up. Less than 3 weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great report shotgun that was a good read, monday is a great day these days for catching up on race reports. You must have an ass like a baboon after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

catweazle wrote: »
    You must have an ass like a baboon after that

I can't speak for mcos, but I can sure relate to that...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Thats a good weekends work. Fair play. All the hard work is paying off with the swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good stuff! thats one hell of a weekend!! you must be shattered now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done MCOS, You must have mountains on the brain after that, as confirmed by your tri report:
    Cycle
    You had to run up a steep hill with the bike before mountain at the top.
    Hehe, I think that should read 'before "mounting" at the top'??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Great report, MCOS, that was one busy weekend! Congrats on the top ten finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Izoard wrote: »
    If you are bored between Athlone and Budapest, I reckon you'd easily bash out an IM somewhere...:)
    Not likely chief I was barely fit to walk across the rioad after it let alone put in 42.2kms!
    DustyBin wrote: »
    FFS MCOS, what are you trying to do to yourself with a weekend like that?
    It was actually a friend who got me the entry as a present, I'm thinking of ways to repay the favour ;)
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    great stuff MCOS, never even considered a crank falling off the bike. now that is a scary thought when your out in the middle of nowhere climbing with no phone signal. thankfully you had support and got it fixed.
    Yeah, it had been loose and I was wondering if it would last. It was a sharp little hill and I was standing up on the pedal. Nearly took a few down with me. Got a fright alright.
    By the way an investment in a profile design bottle would help you re getting drink on board while on the bike, .
    I have one but its still in the wrapping. Got it 2 weeks ago but just haven't gotten around to attaching it yet :o
    catweazle wrote: »
    Great report shotgun that was a good read, monday is a great day these days for catching up on race reports. You must have an ass like a baboon after that
    :D LMAO at this when I read it. Ass ok. Quads sore though!
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Good stuff! thats one hell of a weekend!! you must be shattered now?
    Next time I'm taking the day off work afterwards, most unproductive day at the office for me yesterday:rolleyes: Apparently a deep trance like state is as good as a nap though ;)
    Macanri wrote: »
    Well done MCOS, You must have mountains on the brain after that, as confirmed by your tri report:
    Cycle
    You had to run up a steep hill with the bike before mountain at the top.
    Hehe, I think that should read 'before "mounting" at the top'??
    Ah yes indeed it should... :)

Monday 14/06/10 pm: OW swim approx 2.5k.
    Even though it was aerobic and we stopped and chatted a few times. I was tired glad to get back to the car. The water was lovely, the sun was out, Sailfish were doing wetsuit demos, the swim Coach was conducting sessions and Kilkee is only 2 weeks away. I've never seen so many people out there!! Wetsuits everywhere but generally fun atmosphere. A mate of mine did the longer swim with no wetsuit :eek: It takes me 5 minutes to get the wetsuit off after a training session but just seconds to do it in a Tri. Goes to show what adrenalin and some baby oil can achieve LOL. (I know what Catweazle and the other jokers are thinking!) Found out I got an AG prize for Schull at the weekend too which is nice :)

Thats great man, nic to get a little somethang somethang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Just read the reports from the weekend. Seriously good going in Schull.
    Not a bad recovery ride on the Sunday too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jaysus MCOS, that was some weekend. Savage performance in Schull and a prize to boot. Nice one. Things are really starting to click for you. :cool:

W200 sounds well worth doing. Must seriously consider this for next year.

Setting goals next year is going to be tough! :D

Tuesday 15/06/10 pm: Track Session
    5km easy along the riverbank to warm up which was enjoyable.
    The usual strides, stretched and dynamic warm up routines
    10*400m in 79-80sec with 1 min recovery.
    2km easy cool down on grass with some strectching and core afterwards

It been a long time since I did track and with W200 still in the legs I decided to reign it in a bit. I wanted to specifically focus on consistancy and not fading. So for each rep I ran steady for 300 and picked up the pace for the last 100. Kept this consistant for each rep and it gave me quite a buzz to be passing people on the last stretch. Kept the intensity at about 80% efforet so was pleased with the rep times too.

Wedesday 16/06/10: Rest Day

Thursday 17/06/10 pm: Cycling 30km including 15km TT
    Club TT time. Just my third time down apart from Marshalling one so I'm not getting the same TT practice as last year. Beautiful conditions though, dry, warm and a moderate south westerly. I did a recce as warm up so as a change had something to visualise for the first 5km. Went out hard on this tough course where the Elite standard is 40kmh. To give a perspective on it there are just 5 or 6 Elites I think amonst a list of 70+ male riders! We were off in 30sec intervals and the guy in front of me has a similar pb so he was a decent target. I reeled him in after 5km and figured if he was having a decnt run I was on pb form. pb last year was 24:14 down to 23:25 last month. He passed me again though and it took a burst up a hill to drop him. The next 2 bikes were ladies and then another guy to reel in. Its an out an back but the middle 2km of the course is the tricky bit. First exit turn on a roundabout, immediate drag but short, turnaround at another roundabout (going right around it), down the hill, 3rd exit at a roundabout and immediately up a short climb. I remember when I marshalled this section how the Elites just seemed to fly through it effortlessly so I leaned the bike over and hoped I'd stay up. I did, the roundabouts were quick and I passed the next guy. The short climb though is just sticky. As its immediately after a roundabout you have no momentum to hit it. I know there is 10secs or so to be gained somewhere in this 400m alone! Kept a focus on cadence for the return and heard a disc wheel arrive behind me. It stayed for a minute then passed. I recognised the passenger as the senior men's league leader. He passed me the last time too and got away. This time he got to 50m away and I gritted my teeth. The last 1.5km is gradually uphill with a steep hill for a finish. I passed him with a km to go and kept pressing knowing I had to be close to my pb at least. Finshed in 22:57 (a 28sec pb) avg 39.2kmh and delighted to crack 23 as it was a season goal for me :D The next stop is that 40kmh mark (overall pace goal for 2010). I think I need another 20secs or so. a very tall order but its all in the hills.

Friday 17/06/10 am: Swim Session, 50m Pool
    Warm up 900m (100m*2 easy/50m*2 choice)*3
    Main set 200m max effort off 4:30/ 100m recovery off 2:30.
    200 reps in 3:09 (pb), 3:07 (pb), 3:07, 3:05 (pb), 3:12

After 3 pbs in one set I was toasted! My shoulders were hanging off me. Only one of the usuals from the fast lane showed up so the Coach fired a few of us over to keep her company. 5 secs apart and I went off second. I bridged the gap for the first 2 but after that I barely held it. I died completely in the last rep. Left shoulder was sore after these so I hit the showers early and felt like I needed a chair in them.

Volume down, intensity up and quality over quantity this week :)

Due that is savage stuff on the bike. Well done on catching the disc man that took serious guts. And your 200m rep times are so impressive, I'm so way off these but something to aim for for sure! Well done and keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I should stop reading your log, was happy enough with my own TT time till I read yours :D

Well done you are an animal on the bike

Taper sucks :cool: After an 18 hour week last week a capped 8 hours this week felt almost sloth like. The aim was to cut out volume and focus on speed. That I did but the warm weather has me ravenous and the sunshine is enticing to to want to go out and cycle all day.

Friday 18/06/10 pm: Core 40mins
    Simple session of dumbell resistance, planks, abs and stretching in front of the footie. Felt good. Did all of the exercise slowly and deliberately.

Saturday 19/06/10 am: Z1 run with strides
    Straight out of bed for 12km at 5min kms with 8*60m strides. I was half asleep for the first 30 mins then had to go to the loo behind a ditch. It was warm even at 6am. I wasn't feeling the love on this run at all and the strides felt tight and heavy.

Sunday 20/06/10 pm: Brick 35km bike TT + 8km Z3 run.
    I had originally planned intervals on the turbo but dropping the little fella off earlier meant I was free to head out. The course was bumpy drag up to last year's out and back TT course. I just started the clock at the door and stayed on the bars. Its a wide open course so even a little breeze is felt. It was also very warm out. I put on an aero profile bottle between the bars which made it easier to get fluid on board and I went through it all before I got back home. Average heart rate was 152 which is good for me on the bike but disguises the Z4 effort somewhat. Average speed was 38.1kmh which I'm pleased with as its 2-3kmh faster than 2 months ago for the same heart rate on the same route. It is encouraging in terms of speed targets.

The run was straight off the bike and felt horrid. I maintained the same average heart rate pushing up to race pace for 2km once I hit a bit of shade. I was spent after that 2km though (done at just under 4min/km pace) and had to stop. The heat killed me again once I was on my feet. I am definitely investing in a cap. Overall the run averaged 4:22/km which was ok for Z3 but it felt way worse than the stats suggest. I have no idea how I could maintain the 2km tempo pace for 10 km in this heat. The plan is to go for in in Athlone in 2 weeks but right now I feel a million miles away from it.

I resisted all temptations to overdo anything this week and cut out the volume as planned. Down to just 6 hours this week and really have to cut down the portions in the kitchen too. While I watch myslef slide down the S/C/R challenge I'll be catching up on reading, Taper sucks :cool:

Tapering does suck. Especially when the body has been used of twice a day sessions. Re-read the section in the bible re race week. It does mention to be careful of the calorie intake. Because of the decrease in volume you don't need as many so we must watch the extra pound or two ;)

Monday 21/06/10 pm: OW swim 2,500m
    Glorious sunny evening again. Sharing the river with rowing crews. I had an orange hat on the same colour as the line of regatta bouys down so kept to the bank to avoid the crews. Stopped to admire an 8+ square blade rowing (rowing in unison with blades kept perpendicular to the water at all times) with precision. Very difficult to do but they made it look effortless and they looked like a championship winning form kind of crew. A couple of my old crew buddies onboard which had me reminicsing. I used to love how strong and fit you would feel at this time of year and the joy of rowing on sunny days and glass like water surface. Alas I also remembered not having any kind of life outside of the crew, and the pressure. I know a few of those guys are training full time and pouring their heart and soul into that crew and I hope they get that pot because they looked like a crew with something special happening. I was swimming with a group of 5 and we stopped at chatted for a bit before turning around and swimming straight for the return home. I stayed with them for 5-600 and then increased the effort. Loads going on at the pier with oarsmen rigging, locals diving, the swim coach with his group and dogs getting excited about it all. They only nasty being the horseflies feasting on the roasting flesh on view. I enjoyed the swim but would love to have been in that boat for a spin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

St Michaels I assume MCOS? Sounds like an impressive site. That sort of sight and the impressive sound at the catch and finish really gives me a longing when I see a good crew on the water.....:cool: Just think of all those early morning ergo sessions over the winter to overcome the longing....;)

Actually it was the Uni 8+. They had recent wins at Metro and London and have a very good cox onboard too. They look slick and I reckon should be in the mix with Queens and NUIG. Yeah the sound of the finish in unison is a beautiful one. I had never had a water line vantage point with the oars passing 10 feet from me though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 kruger73

Is the UL 8 intermediate?
    I wouldn't be surprised to see NUIG scramble to do a composite 8. Confidence could be low after they get drilled at HRR, which they will if results at Metro are anything to go by.

kruger73 wrote: »
    Is the UL 8 intermediate?
    I wouldn't be surprised to see NUIG scramble to do a composite 8. Confidence could be low after they get drilled at HRR, which they will if results at Metro are anything to go by.

Yep. I wouldn't be suprised by that either, the usual. While ULRC look slick they were a small enough crew, almost lightweight. Looking at Metro results they were in the lead after 500 but I'd say the more powerful crews came through them. I might head down to Iniscarra and watch this years it could be a good race.

Tuesday 22/06/10 pm: Track session
    4km warm up building pace gradually 4:48/4:39/4:33/4:16 on track
    Some stretching
    2km more warm up with the lads at leisurely 4:53 pace on grass
    More stretching, strides and dynamic exercises
    10*200m* with 1min rest. 30-32secs with the tailwind on the back straight and 31-33secs into a headwind. Finished each one accelerating the last 50 so pleased with that. Heart rate touched 180 so I was working intarget Z5
    2km easy cool down on grass
    More stretching

Good session :) Lots more of this stuff required

*actually 10*35secs but I clocked the 200s as Garmin was acting weird, beebing and jumping screens

Booked Budapest flights so all excited now :)

Quality session there shotgun. I really find the track sessions great too man, especially for the last km in a race.

So what day you heading out and back then? Have you sorted accom? I'm going on Thurs and back on the Tuesday, staying in the Radission which seems to be great value for the 5 nights its 400 between myself and the GF.

Quality session there shotgun. I really find the track sessions great too man, especially for the last km in a race.

So what day you heading out and back then? Have you sorted accom? I'm going on Thurs and back on the Tuesday, staying in the Radission which seems to be great value for the 5 nights its 400 between myself and the GF.

Heading out Tuesday and back Tuesday. Ryanair are gangsters with their 40 each way bike charge, 10 each way online check in, 30 for a flippin bag and 2 admin charges!! I thought my own company was lousy with Fees but O'Leary takes the ripping P!ss :mad:

Ahem.. ok now rant over. No accomodation sorted yet. One of the lads had an apartment right beside the finish line and is offering me a pull out bed. Grand if I was travelling alone but with Caz coming too we might look up something else. Radisson sounds like decent value

Yeah track is good and I am stiff from it today. I plan to do it more regularly after Athlone.

Wednesday 23/06/10 am: Swim Session
    I would rather have been out in the OW again, however Pool it was.
    14*50m easy warm up on 60 secs
    400m in 6:44
    200m*3 in 3:20-3:23, 30 secs rest
    400m in 6:42
    100m*4 neg split in 1:38-1:41 15 sec rest
    2,500m total.

Early shower as I was wrecked (5 hours sleep, up late browsing flights etc..) and I have some sort of strain in my wrist which hurt doing the 100s :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Heading out Tuesday and back Tuesday. Ryanair are gangsters with their 40 each way bike charge, 10 each way online check in, 30 for a flippin bag and 2 admin charges!! I thought my own company was lousy with Fees but O'Leary takes the ripping P!ss :mad:

Ahem.. ok now rant over. No accomodation sorted yet. One of the lads had an apartment right beside the finish line and is offering me a pull out bed. Grand if I was travelling alone but with Caz coming too we might look up something else. Radisson sounds like decent value

Yeah track is good and I am stiff from it today. I plan to do it more regularly after Athlone.
    Yea the flights look cheap until all the add ons. I got an apartment close to the finish on this website fairly cheaply.
    http://www.apartmentsapart.com/index.aspx?pageid=498&domainid=1&l=1&c=16&nop=2&df=07/09/2010&dt=14/09/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

While I watch myslef slide down the S/C/R challenge I'll be catching up on reading, Taper sucks :cool:

Personally, I think you should sign up for more events..you'd be in permanent taper and give the rest of us a chance in the S/C/R challenge.

Just give me a bit of notice before you step up to IM, so I can take the season off:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Personally, I think you should sign up for more events..you'd be in permanent taper and give the rest of us a chance in the S/C/R challenge.

Just give me a bit of notice before you step up to IM, so I can take the season off:)

Ha ha. That won't be for a while yet. IM training wouldn't be much different except maybe for the bike. Have one or two things in mind to do before I step up though. What IM are you doing?

• Advertisement

Wednesday 23/06/10 pm: Cycling 50km including a wind up sprint and a fall
    Big enough group out with ominous looking skies. I was tucked into the group moving up to take my turn when the the heavy mist came down and made the roads treacherous. Calls for care. I took over the front as we turned into the headwind and was there for nearly 15 mins (so much for rotating when it got nasty :rolleyes:) It turned mouldy so we opted to do a shorter route to get home. 10km from Limerick and the pace surged up a hill. A breakaway group of 5 went up to 40kmh for 2km and I had 100m to bridge which was hard work, then 45 for a km, then hammer time at 50+ and the sprint began 500m out. I got my nose in front but wasn't on a big enough gear as one of the cycling club guys came through like a steam train. Good spurt of energy though. Winding down we approached a roundabout 300m later and bang, bike slid from under me and I hit the ground sliding thankfully away from the car behind me. The lads behind peeled me off the floor and didn't let me get back up until I knew where I was. Sore now but I was lucky. The ground was wet so I slid for a good bit. Nice raw hip and funky looking elbow and forearm (gooey enough for TLC from my better half :D). I had just retrieved the bike from the shop today after a service and all :rolleyes:. An ok spin despite the weather and the fall. Avg 31.2kmh including the fall and stop so we were tipping away. Garmin has gone nuts, flicking through screens and beeping constantluy and I can't switch it off boo :mad:

Advertisement