Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just catching up on your log dude. Belated congrats on your top ten finish in Schull. And Wicklow 200 next day - savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Wednesday 23/06/10 pm: Cycling 50km including a wind up sprint and a fall
    Big enough group out with ominous looking skies. I was tucked into the group moving up to take my turn when the the heavy mist came down and made the roads treacherous. Calls for care. I took over the front as we turned into the headwind and was there for nearly 15 mins (so much for rotating when it got nasty :rolleyes:) It turned mouldy so we opted to do a shorter route to get home. 10km from Limerick and the pace surged up a hill. A breakaway group of 5 went up to 40kmh for 2km and I had 100m to bridge which was hard work, then 45 for a km, then hammer time at 50+ and the sprint began 500m out. I got my nose in front but wasn't on a big enough gear as one of the cycling club guys came through like a steam train. Good spurt of energy though. Winding down we approached a roundabout 300m later and bang, bike slid from under me and I hit the ground sliding thankfully away from the car behind me. The lads behind peeled me off the floor and didn't let me get back up until I knew where I was. Sore now but I was lucky. The ground was wet so I slid for a good bit. Nice raw hip and funky looking elbow and forearm (gooey enough for TLC from my better half :D). I had just retrieved the bike from the shop today after a service and all :rolleyes:. An ok spin despite the weather and the fall. Avg 31.2kmh including the fall and stop so we were tipping away. Garmin has gone nuts, flicking through screens and beeping constantluy and I can't switch it off boo :mad:

Eventful ride there shotgun....be careful! It ain't easy to hold back but perhaps you'd better especially in weather like that....especially while tapering :rolleyes: fair play though you are obviously chomping at the bit, easy boy easy...your day will come :) Thank god you are ok anyway. I'm finding this week difficult. It feels like I am cheating myself by not training as much...and it's worse when during the day I'm playing x box and watching TV (not looking for sympathy :o) I need to find something to keep me busy during the day, mmmm perhaps a good (non-tri related) book. Take care dude and....be careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

First off - glad to hear your still in once piece after the spill ...

As for El D.
    I'm playing x box and watching TV (not looking for sympathy :o) I need to find something to keep me busy during the day

So rather than bring this ^^^^ sort of stuff to your own log - you reckon its alright to update MCOS'es with it ;) Man oh man oh man ... I really should have been a teacher or something similar ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

interested wrote: »
    First off - glad to hear your still in once piece after the spill ...

As for El D.

So rather than bring this ^^^^ sort of stuff to your own log - you reckon its alright to update MCOS'es with it ;) Man oh man oh man ... I really should have been a teacher or something similar ...

You and me both! I'd say its tough alright to find something to do to recover between sessions! I'd be in the hammock in the garden with a book....

Thanks by the way Chief. Woke up sore today so I think it will be a day off for me. Thank god it wasn't my TT bike and glad also of having a helmet on. I managed to bend my front door key into a right angle so also glad the GF was at my house when I got back!

Best of luck in Kilkee this weekend, should be a good day but a small swell expected in the bay.

Ok that's it. I ain't risking alienating myself anymore.....no more mention of what I'm at between sessions. Rest day for me too today.

So do u know where u r going to be located shotgun for kilkee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Sorry to hear about your skid. Burny, burny.
    Enjoy marshalling at Kilkee - give those two boys plenty of stick if you see them! hee hee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Glad to hear you're not seriously hurt. That could have been nasty. Any damage to the bike?
    Best of luck in Kilkee this weekend, should be a good day but a small swell expected in the bay.

Lovely! :( Glad I got in to the sea again on Tuesday evening. There was a nasty swell in Galway. Good practice for Saturday I guess.

Are the taper blues kicking in for you?

So do u know where u r going to be located shotgun for kilkee?

I'll be out on the Run section.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Any damage to the bike?

Are the taper blues kicking in for you?

Bike is bruised and battered too. A bit sick as I had just taken it out of the shop after a service but a few bits n pieces and some TLC will sort it out.

I'm actually looking forward to being in Kilkee and being involved in the race rather than doing it. Taper does suck, you feel like you are getting heavier and less fit by the day :(

Hey man great to have met you there on Sat. Hope you've recovered by now! It was a comfort to see a fellow Irish Age Grouper enjoying themselves as well as me, didn't feel as guilty! One can't go to Kilkee and not party!

It was such a well run event fair play to all of ye and thanks very much!

Really really looking forward to Athlone now and another party and Cyprus on Monday :D

When are you going to be in Athlone? I'll be there from Weds, will be practicing on the course. Still no kit and it is getting very close now, tomorrw is supposed to be D day, hope everything is ok as they have left no room for error at this late stage :confused:

Hey El D, good to meet you too man. Hope you had a good night. Well done on your performance you are really coming along strong! Pgibbo, interested and n-dawg all went well too. By the time I sat down I felt as though I had done the race twice myself!! Up at 5am Saturday and in bed at 4am Sunday I had the hangover from living hell yesterday! I rarely drink and it told. I had the shakes and all :cool: It was a smashing day all round though and came togther well in the end.

I have to work until 6 on Friday so will plod up to Athlone after that. I'm starting to look forward to it now :) I was itching to race myself on Saturday. Hopefully Zone3 get the kit sent out tomorrow at the latest.

As for training, it has been non existant for 4 days. I went for a swim in the Bay with the Race Director yesterday and it was not the clam water of the race. 5ft swells did my stomach no favours and I felt lifeless. Struggled through about 2k and drove home to me bed :o

• Advertisement

Monday 28/06/10 pm: Swim OW 2,500m + 4km easy run
    I felt good and had plenty of energy after the hangover hell of Sunday. I set off with 3 others all decent swimmers and pushed on just to get to the 500m mark (where we stop and chat) alone for a quiet moment to feel pleased about hitting the gold target in the s/c/r challenge. There were lots of rowing crews on the water, in particular single scullers so this necessitated more frequent sighting. I was very tempted to do a longer session with a couple of IM guys but turned back after 25mins. I raised my cadence in the last 500 and found a lovely rhythm. I had noticed over the last few weeks that one of the lads did a run off the swim so I joined him this time. He is a much much faster runner than I but even though the run was easy and chatty I noticed that his cadence was significantly faster than mine hmmm....

The tri suit is supposed to arrive today so I'm starting to feel nervous/excited about the weekend. The first biggie! Taper sucks, I hate it. 3 weeks is the longest taper I've doen for a tri, its usually 3 days. I am wondering if it is too long and I won't be sharp enough on the day :o I'm sleeping lots though and itching to push the body hard so I guess that how I'm supposed to feel...

I guess I should have some sort of targets for the race too. Its hard to focus on a time as usual for a tri and from memory I think the transitions are about a km each and half the swim is upstream! I'll go out on a limb and say a 25 swim, 63 bike and 39 run. I expect to hit the swim mark unless the flow is very strong. El D assured me the road surface is good so 63 should be achievable on the bike based on the TT last week. As for a sub40 off the bike, lets just say if I hit that one I'll whoop with joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done on the gold target, will it be enough to keep Izoard away!

Is the run course the same as last year, 4 laps of the town, I only did 2 laps for the sprint but I did it in 21.xx so it was well short of 5k.

Although the long runs to transitions make up for it, hope they have mats down this year for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Swim Gold, well done.

I am doing the sprint on Sat and was looking at the bike route on mapmyride. It looks quite flat, which I'm happy about obviously!

Swim gold - impressive stuff. Well done.

Sounds like a savage night was had on Saturday night. :cool:

Those seem like very realistic goals you have set yourself. 40k in 63 is one hell of a time! :cool: Given the current dry spell, it's hard to see there being a very strong flow at the weekend. Keep the faith dude....you'll be flying come Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've had the odd sneaky look in.

Well done on Schull, and sorry to hear about the fall but glad to hear you're recovering - be very glad the road was wet!

Well done on swim gold man!

A mate of mine was in the shannon in Athlone this evening and commented that there was feck all current.

Hope your trisuit is up to scratch unlike mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

A mate of mine was in the shannon in Athlone this evening and commented that there was feck all current.

Chaps,

Best of luck in Athlone...even if the quality of the suit is cat, wear the green with pride:)

catweazle wrote: »
    Well done on the gold target, will it be enough to keep Izoard away!
    NO! :( He is the new challenge leader. As he ramps up a few build weeks I've been tapering. Aha but I'll be back to a quick base and build while he tapers :) Then the week he does the IM I'll be on super light taper :( Swings and roundabouts. It could come down to who gets stuck into winter prep for 2011 the soonest!
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Swim gold - impressive stuff. Well done.

Sounds like a savage night was had on Saturday night. :cool:

Those seem like very realistic goals you have set yourself. 40k in 63 is one hell of a time! :cool: Given the current dry spell, it's hard to see there being a very strong flow at the weekend. Keep the faith dude....you'll be flying come Sunday morning.

It was savage alright, tales of skinny dipping at 6am and all that jazz :) Yeah if the road is good I think I can go 63, fingers crossed.
    aero2k wrote: »
    Well done on Schull, and sorry to hear about the fall but glad to hear you're recovering - be very glad the road was wet!
    LOL, you know I said this to a few of the lads inc very experienced cyclists and yep its one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that if the road was dry I wouldn't have fallen in the first place :rolleyes:

Cool.. I think. Did you get the tri suit then?! :confused:

Tuesday 29/06/10 pm: Turbo 60mins incl some 2min tempo steps
    I had planned a brick sess but it was late in the evening when I got on the turbo so just did the bike part. The club TT (original plan) is on Thursday evenings. I figured that it was too close to the weekend to push that deep and its also supposed to be lashing, which is why I did a short tempo bit on the turbo instead.
    20mins easy hr 120-125
    20 mins tempo work - 2*(2mins at 280w,300w,320w,340w,220w)
    20mins easy spin down.

The 2 min tempo steps is my own creation (started with 240,260,280,300,220) and just 2 reps of the progressed version was pretty tough. HR hit 165 on the first rep and 175 on the second. I reckon I would have been toasted after a 3rd. The idea for this session is to raise it to 6 reps by Budapest.. ouch!

Tri suit just arrived all excited now :D

Wednesday 30/06/10 pm: 10km tempo run wet warm and windy
    Hadn't done this route in a while. 3 hills but they are not too bad, little drags that are shortlived. I had intended to do a few km at planned race pace but it was a pretty miserable evening so I just got stuck in. The Garmin is sick and in the drawer (I have to post off when I can afford) so just a normal clock on it and no hrm even. 39:32 avg 3:57/km :eek: For a training run, I thought my eyes were deceiving me! My fastest run of the year. I mean, I worked hard and figured I was at low 4 min kms after going through a 4km mark in just over 16. The next section was back downhill and I kept reminding myself not to get lazy on cadence, I just worked hard all the way home. I didn't look at the watch until I stopped and figured I was on maybe 41-42 pace but haven't a clue where that came out of. I wasn't spent at the end but maybe could have held the pace longer rather than go faster who knows. I had to check the route twice on map my run just to be sure! I'm feicin chuffed with that and if I can repeat it off the bike on Sunday I'll be like a pig in it :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 30/06/10 pm: 10km tempo run wet warm and windy
    Hadn't done this route in a while. 3 hills but they are not too bad, little drags that are shortlived. I had intended to do a few km at planned race pace but it was a pretty miserable evening so I just got stuck in. The Garmin is sick and in the drawer (I have to post off when I can afford) so just a normal clock on it and no hrm even. 39:32 avg 3:57/km :eek: For a training run, I thought my eyes were deceiving me! My fastest run of the year. I mean, I worked hard and figured I was at low 4 min kms after going through a 4km mark in just over 16. The next section was back downhill and I kept reminding myself not to get lazy on cadence, I just worked hard all the way home. I didn't look at the watch until I stopped and figured I was on maybe 41-42 pace but haven't a clue where that came out of. I wasn't spent at the end but maybe could have held the pace longer rather than go faster who knows. I had to check the route twice on map my run just to be sure! I'm feicin chuffed with that and if I can repeat it off the bike on Sunday I'll be like a pig in it :)

Dude sounds to me like you are PEAKING! Thats how I felt last weendend, couldn't explain where I pulled that time out of. That is apparently what peaking should feel like, you just can't explain how everything clicked and how you did 'that' time! Plus you must be like a wild dog caged/chomping at the bit at this stage! Well you just have to keep it under the lid for another few days now....then....unleash hell! :D

Thursday 01/07/10 am: 30 min recovery jog and early brekkie
    Got breakfast out of the way at 4am and went back to bed. Just a practice so porridge at stupid o clock on Sunday isn't a shock to the system. Out the door at 7 then for a very easy run. Warm even at that hour and thus sweaty. I felt fine, no niggles no stiffness. The training is done for this now. Evening off for a date with Caz and rest day tomorrow. I'm in a course all day so even my eyes will have a break from computer screens. I might hook up with Bambaata or one of the club lads for a quick recce and stretch on Saturday. Positively buzzing about it now!!

ElD maybe you are right and I'm peaking at the right time, fingers crossed. We will see on Sunday! You hit the nail on the head though, I feel like a loaded shotgun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Evening off for a date with Caz and rest day tomorrow.
    I feel like a loaded shotgun

Is a date night such a good idea in your condition?:p

Best of luck on Sunday.

Savage running there MCOS

All the best on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

excellent work, training and comittment MCOS, the very best of luck on Sunday. Looking forward to hearing how it all goes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Just to echo all of the above .... best of luck over the weekend ... you certainly deserve a good performance after all your training

Good luck man, I will be up Sunday morning around Sean's Bar - my base for the weekend (I'll prob be still drunk from night before ;)) so give it everything and who knows what might happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

+1 to all of that. Your in cracking form so give it socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best wishes for the weekend. Will be rooting for ya. Enjoy the buzz and give it both barrels:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Wish i was racing this myself now, best of luck

Advertisement