Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wednesday 14/07/10 am: Yoga - don't knock it till you try it :)
    60 mins early Yoga class before work. It bore a resemblence to Pilates Flow that I have done a few times a few months ago but with less focus on core strength and stability and more on just core and flexibility. Some of the exercises are acts of contortion and hurt to hold. Before the class I watched the pool gang go about their session wondering if that was where I should be as I hadn't been in a while. However by the time I got to work I felt surprisingly loose and alive. I missed my planned lunchtime run again yesterday and the track option due to another long long day at the office and not out in time for the cycle today either :(. Work has been a pain lately and I'm just worn out by the time I get out. The dilemma now is do I go back to wednesday morning swim or continue with the Yoga... hmm tune in next week.

3 days without chocolate. I'm revisiting my miserable attempt at Lent. Weight check in the morning. Last November I was 83kg. This was down to 78+kg 2 weeks ago. I'd love to be under 76 by Budapest. I reckon BF would be down to 7-8% at that so I couldn't go any lower without losing significant muscle.

I don't care if its lashing when I get home.. I need a run!

Well I did get out for a run in the rain...

Wednesday 14/07/10 pm: 16km Z3+ run in the rain
    Despite general life fatigue I felt great in the first 8km. Loose, springey and comfortable at a nice clip (for me) of approx 4:30/km pace. I even had to reign it back. It was warm and wet and the road was greasy all in all requiring 5-10% more effort but I felt really good. I said to myself to hold off on strides as I'm not doing any intensity this week (base 1) thus cruised home in about 72 mins. Now, the calves and hams were tight after 10km and a bit sore in the last 2km but no serious niggle. The Yoga yesterday morning definitely hit the spot as my hip flexors, obliques, lower abs, lower back, hamstrings and other minor muscles I didn't know existed are all stiff :)

This morning I woke up, got the gear on with intentions of some turbo. I wondered downstairs and next thing I remember it was an hour later and I woke up again on the floor. I must have started a stretch and nodded off, hence another missed session this week! :rolleyes:

Thursday 15/07/10 pm: 10km Z2 lunchtime run
    Usual loop of urban terrain (broken footpaths) with added obstacle of umbrellas. Kept the pace easy and staedy even after 6km when it became cooler and was clear that the heavens were about to open. They duly did and I got soaked but ona warm afternoon again it cooled me down and also had a soothing effect on my aching calves. Core is still stiff but in a good way. Thankfully the rain stopped so I didn't arrive back at work dripping. Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

This morning I woke up, got the gear on with intentions of some turbo. I wondered downstairs and next thing I remember it was an hour later and I woke up again on the floor. I must have started a stretch and nodded off, hence another missed session this week! :rolleyes:

Classic!

If you woke up with a friend looking something like this, go straight to the top of the S/C/R challenge:)

Izoard wrote: »
    Classic!

If you woke up with a friend looking something like this, go straight to the top of the S/C/R challenge:)

Flippin work firewalls can't access :rolleyes: I'll check over the weekend. Hope 'tapering' is going smoothly. Dead interested in your report

• Advertisement

Friday 16/07/2010 am: Swim session 50m pool
    Finally got my lazy @ss out of bed!
    Warm up: (50m*4 with 6bt kick, 50*4 choice of drills)*2
    Main set: 200m*8 off 4, in on 3:25
    Then: 400m hard in 6:40
    Cool down: 100m*2 kicking with fins, 100m*2 easy f/c with fins
    3,200m total.

Its been a while since I was down for a morning set so I was wary of fading early. The 200s were good. Kept a steady pace without over exerting and swam clean. The 400m was a bit more ragged as the pace went up slightly. However 2k at 1:40 - 1:42 pace/100 is not too bad. Happy enough with that given the little swimming I've done recently.

Saturday 17/07/10 pm: Turbo 2hrs20 Z2 -Z3
    20mins warm up
    (10mins 200-210watts 95rpm / 10mins 250-260watts 115rpm)*5
    20mins cool down
    76km avg 220watts.

Longest I've been on the turbo in a while and the 10/10 reps helped keep me sane.

Sunday 18/07/10 pm: 16km run Z2 - Z4
    10km in the Z2 range (still running by feel) with 10*80m strides thrown in 5 mins apart so full recovery
    5km Z3+ - Z4 (low end)
    1km cool down

The first 8km passed by easily but after 1hour and into Z3+ it became hard work. Not the LSR I had planned but enough variety to make it worthwhile.

Weekly Summary base week 1 of 3
    4 runs: 10km, 16km, 10km, 16km
    1 bike: 76km
    2 swims: 2.6km OW, 3.2km Pool
    2 core: incl Yoga class
    Total 11hrs45 inc stretching

Best session of the week: The Yoga and turbo were both quality but most enjoyed the run in the rain on wednesday :)
    Worst session of the week: OW swim. My concentration and thus sighting were all over the place and I just got left behind by the faster swimmers :(

Overall thoughts: Pretty annoyed with myself for missing the track and midweek turbo, more so the Track. Fell well short of the hours I had in mind. The good thing was I kept the whole week at Z2-Z3+ range and it was mostly comfortable. 52km running is a better week for me but due to a busy weekend couldn't do a LSR. The next 2 weeks I need to get an extra run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Talk about a candid camera moment. That's unreal! :D

How's the baserunning coming along? You happy with the progress or is it too early to say?

pgibbo wrote: »
    How's the baserunning coming along? You happy with the progress or is it too early to say?

Too early. Only finished week 1 of 3. I've been averaging less than 40km per week running since the start of the year and just 30km per week since race season kicked off. So a run focused 3 weeks of 50-60-70km and then into 3 weeks of 2 speed sessions per week. I'll see then how the running is measuring up. Of course the key session in teh build weeks will be hitting a target pace off the bike. The Gramin is being sent off this week so 2 more weeks of running by feel. I't will be interesting to know what the stats look like then. I'll do a before and after and let you know :D

How was Carna for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi MCOS,

Just wondering how do you manage to maintain your concentration, focus, motivation, committment, to such levels, over such long periods of time? Its very impressive, doesn't seem to waver that much at all. Well done and keep up the great work.

• Advertisement

MarieC wrote: »
    Hi MCOS,

Just wondering how do you manage to maintain your concentration, focus, motivation, committment, to such levels, over such long periods of time? Its very impressive, doesn't seem to waver that much at all. Well done and keep up the great work.

Hey MarieC. You are one to ask. I bet if you spoke to your pre DCM08 self you wouldn't have envisioned doing runs at sub 8min/mile pace and then a few sprints and then a puc around ;)

Goal
    Visualise it
    Plan it
    Commit to it
    Work for it
    Use Support and appreciate it
    Do it!
    Reward it

Its a process for a dream, even if the dream for this given moment is to
    do.one.more.damned... rep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Its a process for a dream, even if the dream for this given moment is to
    do.one.more.damned... rep :D

I imagine that the goal being the world championships also helps with the motivation and committment. Are there world championships/european championships every year? When do you begin the process of qualifying for them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Its a process for a dream, even if the dream for this given moment is to do.one.more.damned... rep :D

that made me smile because it is so true, and making yourself do that one last rep, which might make your muscles burst, if I guess the mentality that keeps us all pushing onwards and upwards.

by the by, Im about whenever if you still have that racer available, I can call/meet you wherever convenient. :)

Monday 20/07/10 am: Core
    20mins turbo easy to warm up (so as not to stretch cold muscles)
    2*11kg dumbells + mat
    24 military press, 24 bicep curls, 24 press ups straight after each other, then repeat all for 12 reps and again for 6 reps. No rest.
    Abs various 2*24 reps
    24 leg raises
    Stretches

Stayed awake this time :D Very sleep, lazy session though. Got distracted by a Physiology book I intend to read (the first step in changing career)

Monday 20/07/10 pm #1: 10km Z2-3 lunchtime run
    Very warm out and once again found myself parched by 7km. I really have to focus on getting hydrated on Monday mornings ie filling water bottle and bringing it to meetings. No idea what pace I am doing for this but the routine is up some stairs into the bathroom, out of suit, into gear, run 10km, stretch for 5-10 mins and change again. I have an hour for lunch so The time limit on the run is 50 mins. I can't go too hard either or I'm red faced and sweating through my shirt at my desk afterwards. I enjoy these runs though, makes the day fly by :)

Monday 20/07/10 pm #2: Swim OW 3.8km
    The water was gorgeous. Flat calm. Headed out for the usual long swim with 2 others but found myself alone after 1200m. Normally we turn back at this point but I felt great. I had a nice smooth rhythm going and there was energy in reserve so I picked a point up ahead and kept going. After 10mins I began to think about swimming back bearing in mind I was up the river alone. I stopped short of 2k admired some swams and the general serenity of it all and headed back. Knowing the river (I used to row on it) I had stuck to the bank on the way out and now swam back in the center. Thankfully there were no crews otw as they wouldn't have spotted me. The flow was negligible but it was there and it was appreciated as I began to tire with 500m to go. I had the pier in sight though so kept the stroke as relaxed and long as I could. Approx 80 mins and a very satisfying swim :D

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I imagine that the goal being the world championships also helps with the motivation and committment. Are there world championships/european championships every year? When do you begin the process of qualifying for them again?

Hi Gringo78. Yep every year. The ETU champs are in Spain next year and the ITU champs are in Beijing. QF is simple enough. TI will post up on their website (when they bother :rolleyes:) the races you must enter and how many from each AG get a slot. There are usually about 4-5 slots and about 4 select races to achieve them. Apart from that if you finish top 5 in your AG in the National Series overall you get a slot. It seems if you are there or thereabouts though you might get in too. I was 7th in my AG in the NS last year.

Tuesday 20/07/10 pm: Track session including 3km TT
    Did 5km easy warm up on grass
    Then the usual stretches, strides and exercises
    3km TT in 10:57
    2km easy cool down on grass
    More stretching

I was dreading it for some reason perhaps due to a lack of speedwork and poor running confidence. The last 3km was in December.
    Comparison
    Dec: 11:09 avg 3:43/km
    July: 10:57 avg 3:39/km
    Its progress I guess and that is a positive. I targeted 11mins but nearly missed it with poor pacing. I didn't know how hard to go off, no hrm or garmin just the old clock. Despite the long warm up I allowed my heart rate to drop too low before we started. I went off with 2 guys I am usually beside on reps but lost them after a lap. Through 1km in 3:27. Damn, too quick. I reigned it back and although I was working hard, before I knew it I had just a lap and a half to go. Km 2 was 3:39 which was the target pace. Somehow I cam off the boil in the second last lap and realised I had lost time somehow leaving me with 90 secs to hit 11 mins. Normally not a bother but barely mustered 87. All in all its still not great but thankfully its a little progress. I know there is more in there :)

Wednesday 21/07/10 am: Pool swim session.
    Arrived late and missed the warm up, hence straight into main set of
    100m*7 off 1:55
    50m*6 max effort off 1:30
    300m
    150*6 off 2:55
    100m cool down and early shower
    2,300m total

I was toasted after the 50s. Most wrecked I've been in a swim session. A combination of the track and missing the warm up. I was struggling to keep up in a lane I usually share leading. Got our early for a quiet shower.

Ok so these 2 sessions were not exactly base training :rolleyes: Back to steady for the rest of the week...

Wednesday 21/07/10 pm: Turbo 80mins Z2-Z3+
    Average 250 watts and 48.3km, no hrm data
    Kept it steady mostly for 70mins ranging 230-240w for the first half and 240-250 for the second. Threw in 2 sets of 10*10sec sprints at 360-380w. I didn't change the gear just raised the rpm to 140 for 10 secs at the end of 10 consequtive mins. Not letting it drop below 240w immediately afterwards made it solid work. Finished last 10 mins at 280w. Good session.

Thursday 22/07/10 pm#1: 10km lunchtime hilly run Z2-Z3
    I felt a little ropey for the first 2-3 kms but the calves felt looser than they have in a month so found a comfortable stride. It was cool and breezy with the cloud cover but the occasional appearance of sunshine reminded you that there was a warm front not far away. The light northerly wind gave a lovely cool tailwind on the return from the city to work. So much so that the cooling effect rather than the force of the wind itself made the last 2 drags almost effortless. Normally these two coupled with needing a drink have me red faced back at the office, however this time I had taken on more water that morning and felt good. Enjoyable run :)

Thursday 22/07/10 pm#2: 15.2km run Z3+
    On with the shoes straight after work but the sun had since come out and it was warm. I put on the Tri cap I bought in Athlone for the first time. I felt great for the first 7-8km and hills again seemed to pass without a bother. I had no watch on so again running by feel. I just noticed the time as I left the house. Kms 11-13 are pretty cruel as they rise and rise. I was also gasping and fading somewhat by now. The same pace became hard work, not so much on the lungs but the legs. I had a feeling I was close to 7 min miles until I had to go back up one of the hills home. I decided not to press it. Home in 65mins which was 4:16/km or 6:50/mile. The cap worked too to prevent me overheating. Pretty pleased with the pace which Daniels' describes as my marathon pace. The fact that my calves survived again means I am finally getting the hang of the new stride I struggled with back in the spring. Good session :D

Thursday 22/07/10 pm#3: Yoga
    Ok I can be a glutton for punishment :cool: The sweat was pouring off me holding some of the poses but I think I have the 14 sequence exercise down so I can practice at home :confused: Caz went for the first time too and was in bits after it. The instructor is a tough cookie.." ok hold... hold .... hold..... hold............. and 5.. 4.. 3.... 2................. 1.. and relax"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thursday 22/07/10 pm#3: Yoga
    . The instructor is a tough cookie.." ok hold... hold .... hold..... hold............. and 5.. 4.. 3.... 2................. 1.. and relax"

That's because it's you know who! She scares me with her flexibility!! I really need to get back - maybe wednesday morning or might head down tomorrow morning.

Friday 23/07/10 pm: Lunchtime Masters Swim 25m Pool
    Swimming has not been a focus this month and I hadn't been to one of these sessions in about 2 months. These guys don't hang about so I planned to get into a quiet lane and so a short easy swim. Only had a 40 minute window.
    200m warm up in a lane alone.. then they asked if I'd like to step in and lead them :eek: Hard to say no so I thought Id give it a go.
    The set (100m*4, (50m/150m)*2)*2
    The RTs were handy all off 2, 1 and 3 respectiveely for the 100, 50 and 150. It was just to keep it simple.
    I felt good and managed to hold 1:33-1:35/100m pace for the whole set.
    100m easy backstroke cool down. 1,900m and pretty pleased with it :)

Saturday 24/07/10 am: LSR 24km Z2
    2 laps of a 6km out and back into the countryside at 6am. It was cool and damp this morning. The first 3km felt wretched. My legs were asleep and nature was calling. The middle 12-14km was ok, pretty much just plodded along. The last 2km was a chore. The legs started to suffer and I needed a drink of water. The lungs felt fine but the legs didn't have much more in them. About 2 hours total so 5min kms maybe. I could really have done with some tunes this morning as I was a bored, must get the ipod sorted.

• Advertisement

Sunday 25/07/10 am: Brick 2hrs30' bike, 30'run
    Bike: Group spin. About 75-76km no watch or bike comp so no data. Hills for the first hour. Short climbs but they rolled on for 15km or so. Pressed up the first one and found myself alone so just maintained momentum. All of the fast lads were away racing so got to the goal town 5 mins ahead of the group. I wasn't sure where they were headed so hung on and joined up. Asual there was a wind up and sprint back in the dual carraigeway. Just had my wheel in front but one of the lads was on a Felt TT bike so my 50/34 was no match for his 54/42 and tuck at the end. Good workout on the legs though which were suitably tired to simulate a brick.
    Run: Approx 6km with 2 longish drags. Legs felt awful for the first 2km and just less than awful for the rest. The run was only Z1-Z2 but even that felt like an effort.

Weekly Summary base week 2 of 3
    6 runs: 10km, 10km, 10km, 15km, 24km, 6km brick
    2 bikes: 48km turbo, 76km road
    3 swims: 3.8k OW, 2.3k 50m pool, 1.9k 25m pool
    2 core: incl Yoga class
    Total 16hrs inc stretching

Best session of the week: The midweek run as it was pretty much what Daniels says my Marathon pace should be, not that I am traning for a marathon. Its just good to know smile.gif
    Worst session of the week: Hmm the morning swim after doing the 3k on the track. I was shattered. The LSR before work on Saturday was pretty boring too frown.gif

Overall thoughts: Happy with last week overall, plenty of work done. Got in the extra runs I wanted without losing a swim or bike. One more week of base stuff now then the volume drops and focus shifts to power and speed. Spending the next 3 days with the little fella and the weekend with Caz so opportunities to train this week are slim enough. Hence why I am pleased to get a good week in last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Just catching up shotgun. Well done in Athlone, what a savage bike time! I wouldn't be too worried about missing the run target as the run was a little long and its a tough enough course.

Reading the rest of your log and all the miles and sessions you are getting in has put me to shame :o Actually reading it has inspired me to up it now, no more missed sessions (or drinking sessions).

So good to see all is in order here anyway and its the usual super-human effort going on :cool:

Monday 26/07/10 pm: Turbo 60 mins Z1 insert 20mins Z4
    Based on some stuff I've been checking out lately in logs and cycling guys chat, it seems that intervals on the turbo are a certain way to develop speed and indeed strength endurance. I've done lots of different types of intervals over the last few months but when I heard about 2*20 min reps on the 'sweet spot' ie, that little zone just below your AT that is a place of hurt without pushing you over the edge. So next week I intend to do this 2*20min session. Today I figured I'd try 2*10mins at that intensity. For me thats 300w. In January I did a max effort 20min TT on the turbo and average 306 watts. I rememeber being totally wasted afterwards. I've since done shorter stints at 300w but nothing significantly sustained like 20 mins.

Today I started easy for 25 mins and then put on the big ring and settled at 300w (more like 305w ish as I would not allow it dip under 300w even for 1 rev :cool:). I intended 10 mins but got to that point ok and presssed on to 20. It was very hard work but I kept it over 300w for the 20 mins and didn't fall off the bike. 15 mins back down to Z1 for a cool down. It was a good session but I really don't know what was left in the tank. I am pleased however that the pace that crucified me 6 months ago is more comfortable now ( I say that lightly). I do know that if I pushed it on 10 more watts I would have faded within minutes. So I've come on, but how much?

After this week its into a 3 week build before Budapest taper. I'll kick week one off with a go at 2*20min at 300watts and see how I get on. If I'm being open about it, the real aim is 60min straight at 300w :eek: I'll give it a lash the week before taper anyway and see how I get on :D It should be a brutal session and its 3 weeks away... gulp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Monday 26/07/10 pm: Turbo 60 mins Z1 insert 20mins Z4
    Based on some stuff I've been checking out lately in logs and cycling guys chat, it seems that intervals on the turbo are a certain way to develop speed and indeed strength endurance. I've done lots of different types of intervals over the last few months but when I heard about 2*20 min reps on the 'sweet spot' ie, that little zone just below your AT that is a place of hurt without pushing you over the edge. So next week I intend to do this 2*20min session. Today I figured I'd try 2*10mins at that intensity. For me thats 300w. In January I did a max effort 20min TT on the turbo and average 306 watts. I rememeber being totally wasted afterwards. I've since done shorter stints at 300w but nothing significantly sustained like 20 mins.

Today I started easy for 25 mins and then put on the big ring and settled at 300w (more like 305w ish as I would not allow it dip under 300w even for 1 rev :cool:). I intended 10 mins but got to that point ok and presssed on to 20. It was very hard work but I kept it over 300w for the 20 mins and didn't fall off the bike. 15 mins back down to Z1 for a cool down. It was a good session but I really don't know what was left in the tank. I am pleased however that the pace that crucified me 6 months ago is more comfortable now ( I say that lightly). I do know that if I pushed it on 10 more watts I would have faded within minutes. So I've come on, but how much?

After this week its into a 3 week build before Budapest taper. I'll kick week one off with a go at 2*20min at 300watts and see how I get on. If I'm being open about it, the real aim is 60min straight at 300w :eek: I'll give it a lash the week before taper anyway and see how I get on :D It should be a brutal session and its 3 weeks away... gulp

Is 300W your FTP? I had been reading up a bit on that type of training and thought that the 2x20min were supposed to be done more at 85-90% of FTP so more like 270W i.e if the holy grail is to be able to put out 300W for an hour, then 2x20min @ 270W is supposedly an efficient way of getting there. Tunney is probably the man to comment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have been doing 2*20s now for the last 2/3 months and find them very good.

They should be 95% of FTP which is 95% of your 20min max so....

306 x 0.95 x 0.95

Cheers for the interest guys. mloc123 that FTP*0.95*0.95 seems current. I'll have to work off FTP more. Gringo78 thanks for reminding me that its a % of FTP I need to do the reps at and not FTP itself! Cheers man, you saved me from flogging myself through back to back TT efforts ;) The thing is it would be 3 weeks before I taper for my A goal that I cop onto 20min reps, I don't know why I didn't sooner :rolleyes: Read up a bit on FTP this morning, interesting.

mloc123 what rest do you take between your 2*20? Also do you eventually bring the rest down to nothing and do 40mins straight at your %FTP training level or do you do a third rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheers for the interest guys. mloc123 that FTP*0.95*0.95 seems current. I'll have to work off FTP more. Gringo78 thanks for reminding me that its a % of FTP I need to do the reps at and not FTP itself! Cheers man, you saved me from flogging myself through back to back TT efforts ;) The thing is it would be 3 weeks before I taper for my A goal that I cop onto 20min reps, I don't know why I didn't sooner :rolleyes: Read up a bit on FTP this morning, interesting.

mloc123 what rest do you take between your 2*20? Also do you eventually bring the rest down to nothing and do 40mins straight at your %FTP training level or do you do a third rep?

I started with 10 mins rest and after a couple of weeks dropped that to 5, so far I have stuck to that and have seen improvements... restesting every month or so and I have seen an increase in my FTP. You are using a Tacx trainer right? Make sure to keep the variables constant, same tyre, same preasure etc.. as the power values are quite dependant on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

A bit late in the year season for me to start training by power but I will be looking for advice on this later in the year lads, hope ye don't mind ;)

Thanks again mloc123, yeah its a taxc trainer and I always use my road bike on it. Cool, I'll hop on tomorrow and do 2*20 at 90% FTP and start with 5mins rest. I'll see how I get on with that to determine next week. The end of season is actually getting scarily close. Although I'll leave it until after the DCM to plan next year.

As for today: Run, Turbo and Core
    Run: 8km recovery but it felt awful. Straight out of bed so nature called after 3km again, however running in suburbia meant holding until I got home. Very uncomfortable and wet run. Left quad is dead still. I must book in a massage.
    Turbo: Simple, 60mins Z1 pretty boring just spinning legs out
    Core: Messing around with dumbells and doing repeats of the Yoga sequence. Lots of stretching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks again mloc123, yeah its a taxc trainer and I always use my road bike on it. Cool, I'll hop on tomorrow and do 2*20 at 90% FTP and start with 5mins rest.

Planning on investing in a trainer with power also as it's cheaper than SRM or the likes. Fingers crossed, there will be a big winter of cycling for me this year! What one have you MCOS?

Advertisement