Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Friday 20/08/10 pm: 5km Z1 run... or slow jog
    Headed out with Caz hoping I could run. Legs in general felt horrible for the first 5 mins but were ok once warmed up. The ITB felt much better. There was still a slight ache, especially jogging down a hill but delighted that it held up for a super easy 30 min jog. On some anti inflammitories for a few days though so I'm still being very cautious.

Saturday 21/08/10 am: Bike 65km, run 5km

Lovely morning, so headed out early to meet the group. 3 of us Budapest bound were on TT bikes and had discussed doing some work in the sesison. Just rolled along and a nice pace for an hour into the headwind and then onto the bars and pushed on for 20 mins at race pace, rolled for 10 mins and did another 10 mins race pace. No climbs but some rolling hills and drags. Good spin.

I started the run very cuatiously at Z1 and felt fine, brought the pace up gradually to Z2-Z3 but stayed very comfortable. ITB felt ok again, just a little dull ache. I plan to do some core later and will roll it out some more.

Overall I'm happy enough where I am. Swimming is going well, fitness is good and 1:17 for 100m is way beyond the speed I thought I could achieve in water. Budapest is hot right now though so it looks ominously like no wetsuits :( Cycling has been good this year. I didn't bother with the TT league or races or hills. The Budapest is as flat as a course I could hope for so should suit me. I've just relaxed the pressure of the run off myself. Whatever I get on the day is what I get. I'm just happy the injury is mending and the #1 priority is to get to Budapest healthy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Budapest is hot right now though so it looks ominously like no wetsuits :(
    Noooooo. Bambatta was saying that the other night alright. That'd be a bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

That's terrific man, thanks. Well stated. I am aiming for at least two turbo sessions per week, building to 3 during during each phase as well as a weekend road session. So I am going to need a clear plan. It seems FTP is the way to go

So I guess a mix of tempo (2*20min at 85%-90%) - twice a week and then shorter intervals (10*3min at 105%, 2min rest or 20*1min at 110%, 1 min rest) - once a week. How does that sound mcos?

Good to hear the IT band held up dude, thank God. Regarding the wetsuits I wouldn't worry too much, it's 3 weeks away and the temp will drop. However it is prob a good idea to leave the wetsuit aside for some OW sessions, just in case ;)

That's terrific man, thanks. Well stated. I am aiming for at least two turbo sessions per week, building to 3 during during each phase as well as a weekend road session. So I am going to need a clear plan. It seems FTP is the way to go

So I guess a mix of tempo (2*20min at 85%-90%) - twice a week and then shorter intervals (10*3min at 105%, 2min rest or 20*1min at 110%, 1 min rest) - once a week. How does that sound mcos?

Sounds like a bit of overkill TBH :cool: I'll pop you an email dude.

• Advertisement

Sunday 22/08/10 pm: Run 60 mins Core 30 mins
    The run was 4km Z2, 4km Z3+, 4km Z1. I was happy to be able to run for 60 mins with no pain. The ITB wasn't feeling fresh and the legs were generally tired but no flare up so some relief at that. The Z3 bit felt like an effort so I cut it after 4km and jogged easy. The 2 cycles this week really took it out of the legs but as it was supposed to be the last build week that is to be expected. Rolled the ITB out again and can feel it this morning but its definitely much better.

Weekly Summary build week 3 of 3
    3 runs: 5km, 5km brick, 12km
    2 bikes: 59km turbo, 65km road brick
    3 swims: 3.5km OW, 3.2km pool LC, 2km pool SC
    2 core sessions
    Total 10hrs

Best session of the week: Hmmm hard to choose, most sessions were good quality but I'd have to say the Turbo TT. Hardest I've pushed myself on a bike ever :D!
    Worst session of the week: The run yesterday. On one hand it was good that I could run for an hour, the legs were dead though :cool:.

Overall thoughts: A good week and I'm feeling good too. I'm looking forward to giving the swim and bike a lash in Dublin and glad that the ITB is clearing up, albeit not out of the woods by any means. This week I'll begin taper on the bike. I'll give the running another week and try some very short stints of tempo. I'll bring in an extra session of core too and focus on getting closer to the target race weight. 76.9kg this morning, all good but need to maintain the discipline. Just 19 days to go :) Starting to give next year some thought also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You're lighter than me now ya fecker :P

Good to see the ITB is coming along! I gave mine a good rolling last night and it felt great!

Bambaata wrote: »
    You're lighter than me now ya fecker :P

Good to see the ITB is coming along! I gave mine a good rolling last night and it felt great!

Yeah but you are still faster :rolleyes:
    Don't think I would describe the rolling as 'feeling great'.. more like 'hurts a lot' much yeah feel a bit looser afterwards. I don't roll too often as the muscle needs time to rebuild itself after a session and a good rolling :)

Just saw that you and I are in wave 2 this weekend, WTF :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Glad to hear the ITB is in good shape. You must be looking forward to DCT this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah saw the wave 2. pity, there's a few in wave 1 i was looking forward to racing but its just not to be. i cant remember entering a swim time but i must have. i must lie in future like the majority of them.

• Advertisement

Wave 2 for me too lads so ye better watch out ;) Must remember next year when entering these tri's early in the year to enter the swim time that I hope to be doing at that stage of the season. It actually worked out for the best this time and im happy bout this as I want to just ease back, using the swim as a kind of warm up and going hard on the bike and then a nice comfortable pace for the run.

All this is depending of course how the Achilles holds up this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thursday 19/08/10 pm: Turbo 90 mins including 60 min TT
    By far the hardest session I have done on the turbo, Caz thought I was going to fall off the bike and despite me saying I was fine, stood beside me until breathing returned to normal. The 20 min TT version is hard but 60 is just pain incorporated.

Catching up dude. Fcuk me that session just sounds un natural. Jaysus only in my dreams.
    Good to see progress is been made on that ITB

pgibbo wrote: »
    Glad to hear the ITB is in good shape. You must be looking forward to DCT this weekend?

Yeah, I'll swim and bike hard, let the world pass me by on the first 5k of the run and if the ITB lets me build into the last 5k.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    yeah saw the wave 2. pity, there's a few in wave 1 i was looking forward to racing but its just not to be. i cant remember entering a swim time but i must have. i must lie in future like the majority of them.

I was thinking the very same. Considering 80 or so in wave 1 they must have all thrown down some tasty swim splits :rolleyes:

Monday 13/10/08 pm: Swim OW 2,500m + dodging swans
    Not many down this evening and so I headed for a long swim alone. The swans were being protective and I watched one of them attack a dog as it swam too close to a beautiful jet black signet, so I stayed clear of their territory. After only 500m or so I was feeling it. The body was tired. I reduced the intensity to a relaxed stroke but it was difficult as I swam into a strong wind and the water was choppy. I found some shelter at the start of the regatta course, where the water calmed again and turned around to head home. 50m in front of me were 2 swans and they were drifting towards me. I had to swim a detour around them over to the opposite side of the river. They were probably just curious but after seeing the poor dog getting pecked back at the slip I was taking no chances and swam tempo for about 200m. It made the route back more arduous as A) I had to swim a longer course to avoid the swans (who were still 20m away from me drifting towards me after the tempo bit!) and B) I was knackered. Normally I enjoy this Monday evening swim and it has been my steady long session over the summer, but tonight between the minor panic over the swans and the heavy sessions last week, it was a struggle. I eventually got back to the slip wrecked.

The good thing is that all of the heavy training is done and I'm starting to ease back now. I'll maintain some intensity but in small doses as the volume is coming down. Proper taper after Dublin this weekend.

Tuesday 24/08/10 pm: Track session.. a brief one
    It was lovely out but windy at the track. 3km warm up on grass easy + stretches.
    6*400m with 60 sec rest in on 75, 75, 75, 77, 76, 75
    4km cool down on grass in bare feet.

The purpose was to see how the ITB held up under some speed. It was fine. The reps themselves were good. Still without heart rate data as Garmin have still infuriatingly not sent the replacement device back to me. Ongoing saga since March now. Anyway, enjoyed the brevity of the workout too as I'm not sure if I would have been up for more reps. ITB has showed itself again this morning but just a little so the message there is race Dublin but back off at the slightest sign of strain.

Wednesday 25/08/10 am: Swim session at 50m pool
    50m*12 warm up with one closed fist each length
    150m*6 off 3 in on 2:26-2:30
    200m*4 off 4 in on 3:16-3:20
    100m*3 off 2 in on 1:38
    200m cool down backstroke with fins
    Total 2,800m

Felt great. Woke up before the alarm and was fresh as a daisy in the pool. Lead the lane out and held approx 1:40/100 pace for the whole lot. Very pleased with this as I was never more than Z3. The swim focus last winter has paid off. I set 1:40 as my target race pace for 1500 in the pool this year. Earlier in the season I got there but it was all out, but now I can hold it below the red zone :)

Wednesday 25/08/10 pm: Turbo 80mins inc. 3*10min FTP intervals
    The session
    20mins warm up easy
    10mins 264 watts (85% FTP) + 5mins very easy recovery max 150w
    10mins 280 watts (90% FTP) + 5mins very easy recovery max 150w
    10mins 296 watts (95% FTP) + 5mins very easy recovery max 150w
    15mins easy spinning

Good workout. Heart rate maxed out at about 156 after the 3rd rep so just into lower Z4. Nothing like the torture of last week. Had the Alp D'uez Triathlon recorded to watch during this session so it flew by. On the 3rd rep I just imagined what it must be like to cycle up those 21 turns. Last turbo of this season yay! At least a few weeks of a break from it anyway :)

Thursday 26/8/10 pm: Run 40 mins
    4km Z2-Z3, 2km tempo Z4, 2km Z1
    Enjoyed the run, felt good on tempo. Focused on cadence. 20 mins stretch afterwards.

Got Garmin back finally :) Bit late for this season now but will thankfully have it for Winter training.

Good luck tomorrow dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

+1 to that. I'm sure you'll make mince meat of the bike course.
    Are you on record bag carrying duty tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Never got a chance to wish people well in DCT. I see the results now. Well done against a top quality field. Budapest is the focus now!
    I see Bambatta had a very good race too and I believe nomadic did very well in the sprint.

• Advertisement

Took the day off completely on Friday and went out to dinner with Caz. DCT was a C priority so no need to be too picky about what I ate and drank :) Was staying with Bambaata for the event so we did a 2 lap recce of the bike course on Saturday and as its his training ground he had some great tips for it, as long as it stayed dry....

Sunday 29/08/10: Dublin City Triathlon, Irish Olympic Distance National Championships.
    It was the last race before Budapest so a time to check things out. It was a C priority race so I wasn't bothered about the result or overall time. As such I was pretty relaxed about it all. The main plan was to push the swim and bike at target race pace and see how the legs felt. Specifically would the ITB hold up. The second objective was to try out 2 gels on the bike which I had never done in an OD race before. It was a good race very well organised by Piranha Tri and a very competitive field too.

The swim.
    I headed straight to the front of the pack as it was wave 2 and I figured I might be one of the stronger swimmers in it. Spotted El Director behind me and Bambaata to my right. Everyone focused and ready to blast off. Normally my tactic is to sprint the first 150m after the faster guys to get some benefit off the wake of their feet before they vanish, then settle in clear water. This time I thought I'd do 20 hard strokes without looking up and stay long and relaxed. I generally swim straight thankfully so when I looked up I was not off line. There was madness going on either side of me though and I got a nice elbow in the lip. I initially thought the wave 2 was stronger than I anticipated but once I found a rhythm I got some space. I felt good and was in the lead pack. After the turnaround I was about third and catching the lead pair. I decided to just sit on their feet and get a lift back. I was a bit confused by the buoys as they were not straight and ended after 400m of the return thus we cut dangerously close to the oncoming wave. I certainly didn't feel any major flow pushing us back down the river and if anything it felt longer on the return. I wore mirrored lenses for the first time but with a cloudy sky it was all quite dark. I had a few hanging off my feet too and with 250m or so a couple of them started moving up passed me. The problem with that was that they were climbing all over me. I was relaxed enough at the stage so gave a few good kicks and pushed on. Exited the wave just behind the lead pair in 24:33 (o/a swim rank 42/440). I didn't know my time but I was happy with the swim and feel I could be more efficient for the full 1500.

So how am I feeling about the Budapest swim?
    Pretty good. I think I can hit my season target of sub 25 comfortably and on the day maybe closer to 24. The 3 turns are sharp and the buoys could be messy so I have to focus on getting my rhythm back after each turn.

T1: Slow getting the wetsuit off on the run up to the bike but no issues.

The Bike
    The leap of Faith was fine and I got motoring straight away. Thankfully even after a little shower during the race briefing the road was dry. It was also clear so I had a better transition than the lead pair from the swim. Bambaata's bike was still racked when I left so I wondered how long it would take for him to catch me and indeed how many more from my wave would catch me. The heart rate was quite high after the swim so the first lap up the Kyber road was tough. That was the only real hill though the rest of the course was a mix of bends and slow descents. I hit a nice stride on the first 2 laps attacking the bends. I started making ground into wave 1 (a lap ahead of me) at the end of the second. This was good as I passed the lead women and knew I was going well. Normally I'd only reach the lead woman toward the end of the bike. I remembered to maintain cadence and on a technical course like the DCT one gear changing is essential. I passed so many who were pushing too heavy a gear on inclines.

The rain came down heavy on lap 3 and the course suddenly took on a different manner. The bends were a lot more tricky and you had to back off a bit on 2 in particular. While I was making good of the course in general I kept getting dark right hander before the main descent wrong. Heading down the fast sweep towards the Kyber road again on lap 3 I very very nearly lost it. The back wheel slipped maybe 2 feet and gave me a shock. I thus delayed getting on the brake and hit the turn too quickly. I had to run wide to avoid hitting another competitor and had to brake hard. I heard a few 'ooohs' from the supporters with the lengthy skid but with some luck managed to stay upright. By lap 4 the road was now busy with other waves joining and I found that it was easier to spin up the hill passing loads than to do it alone. I was a bit cautious though after the skid. The roads started to dry out again so half way around the 4th lap I started to attack again. I knew I was eating into wave 1 so kept the foot down. Bambaata eventually caught me with half a lap to go. It was the only time I was caught on the bike and I didn't let him go either. Overall I enjoyed the course and liked doing laps instead of an out and back. However with the number of bikes on the course on lap 5 it was impossible to hold your line or any speed into the corners which was a shame. Bike 1:05:47 (o/a bike rank 16/440)

So how am I feeling about the Budapest bike?
    I'm looking forward to it. A flat course with a good surface so less about bike handling and more about power. I'll focus on spinning at a good cadence to keep the legs for the run. Hopefully I'll be closer to 60 on the day.

The run
    This was the uncertain part. The first km was uphill which never suits me. Bambaata flew past me out of T2 like he had stolen something and went on to have a stormer! I struggled mostly with getting my cadence up. I checked my diary during the week when I was reading JFs bible and noticed my cadence checks last winter and spring were 68-78 spm. No wonder I have had no leg speed all year! I should have been working on that back in the winter along with the foot strike. As a result getting up over 80spm especially off the bike was a struggle. Once I got around the 'field' section and into the trees beside the Kyber road I felt better. There was a steep run off a bank to cross a small road and another steep ramp up to the trail again that kind of jarred your knees. Shortly after it though you are on a straight solid path and coupled with a slight tailwind it was possible to lift the pace. I pushed on for about a km but noticed my left quad was not cooperating. It wasn't hurting so much as dragging. I backed off. I had told myself that the slightest sign of a niggle and I would do so. In the end I was happy with this decision and with my discipline. I kept running but just didn't push as hard as usual. I passed a few and was surprised that it took 7km before the faster runners from my wave came through. At about this time I was on the solid path for the second time and knew the finish was straight ahead. My legs felt ok and I was tempted to race it to the finish but kept steady. I was passed by a few and resisted the urge to chase. At 8km I got an almighty stitch that restricted my breathing for a few minutes. I had to walk for a bit and take some deep breaths to shake it. I expected my run to be about 45mins but it was 41:50 (run rank 110/440) so either it was a bit short or I made a better fist of it that I thought. I jogged over the line in 2:14:31. Overall 33rd and 9th in my AG. Overall I was pleased with that result as I beat a guy who was ahead of me at the Europeans and I was closer to a couple of guys who usually leave me for dust :)

So how am I feeling about the Budapest run?
    Hmm I'm actually quite glad that I got through the 10k yesterday. I had a great massage from 2 girls, one of which almost made me cry when she dug into the left quad. As a result of backing off I have another week to stretch and roll it and get it right for Budapest. I believe I have 2 more minutes in me based on yesterday's effort. I will have to make sure I don't overcook the bike too. I'll try to maintain as a good a cadence on the run as I can but I plan to give it everything I've got. It seems like nearly every triathlon run I've done this year has had a hill to start. I'm hoping that a flatter first km will help me get up to speed quicker. I would love to get a sub40 off the bike first the first time there. I'm already making notes on what I have to work on this winter to improve my running.

Objective A: Finish, Enjoy the experience and give it a lash!
    Objective B: Sub40 off the bike
    Objective C: Sub 2:10 for a pb

Just 12 days to go.. taper time :D

Well done MCOS, all the hard work done now and I am sure you will meet your objectives. I will be changing my running stride during the winter too, although I have already started that process by concentrating on high cadence. Happy tapering.

Well done in DCT MCOS. Fair play for having the discipline not to push it on the run. :cool: You must be very pleased.

Stay away from the chocolate and biscuits during the taper! :D

The hardest thing about Taper is not over eating and staying off crap... not doing the best on this front. Weigh in tomorrow morning so hopefully not too bad. Although I've done a couple of sessions it feels as though I haven't trained in ages. I should be feeling strong and mad to go, however instead going through a box of tissues .. bloody sinus. I know part of the taper too is keeping away from sick kids. Hard to do when its your own though.

Monday: Rest Day

Felt ok after DCT no niggles.

Tuesday: 40min run Z2 including 3*800m Z4 2min rest.

2:54/2:53/2:51
    The reps were hard work. HR avg 170-175 top of Z4 and touching Z5

Wednesday am: Swim session
    400m warm up
    200m with kickboard
    100m easy
    300m*3 at 1:40 pace off 6
    200m*3 at 1:40 pace off 4
    100m
    50m*6 fast
    200m cool down
    2,700m total

Wednesday pm: Short Brick
    50min bike 4*7km ish laps. Avg 33kmh but it was mostly easy. 2km tempo 42-43kmh on each lap. Quick change and 20min Z1 run avg HR 130 so very comfortable. Felt good overall. 10 mins stretching also.

Thursday: 60min Yoga class.
    Pushed some of the exercises. Excellent session. Felt loose afterwards.

Friday: Masters lunchtime swim
    (200m/50m*2)*2
    150m*4
    (200m/50m*2)*2
    100m IM
    1,900m total.
    The IM was a laugh. Swallowed mouthfuls on the Fly and died on the BS.

Saturday: Rest Day.

Sunday: Short Brick
    40min bike Z1 high cadence, 20 min run Z1 inc 8min Z4

Total 5hrs40
    Swim 1hr50
    Bike 1hr30
    Run 1hr20
    Core 1hr00

Next week will just be tipping away with a recce of the course and keeping out of trouble.

Last post before Budapest so I'll be back with a report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well MCOS,
    What a great year you have been having - give it your all man. I'm sure you'll do your country proud! All the very best wishes for Budapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Have a great time at Budapest.
    Enjoy it!

Hope the sinuses clear up man. I find manuka in green tea a lovely little remedy. Can't wait now myself, good luck and see you over there dude. :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

All the best MCOS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Best of luck for the weekend MCOS ... looking forward tot he report

• Advertisement

All the best in Budapest MCOS. You'll have a stormer. Enjoy it! :cool:

Advertisement