Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Very best of luck - i am sure the last few months will pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck this weekend MCOS. Hope it all goes really well for you, and you have a day you'll remember (for all the right reasons!) for a long time to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

very best of luck this weekend MCOS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck shotgunmcos , your log is inspirational and if anyone here deserves a good preformance its you , look forward to the report , thumbs up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck, MCOS. I hope the day will be a testimony to your training and dedication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

How did you get on and where can I get the results for the olympic and the sprint ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

How did you get on and where can I get the results for the olympic and the sprint ???

I can't locate the olympic but the others seem to be here
    http://www.triathlon.org/results/event/2010_dextro_energy_triathlon_-_itu_triathlon_world_championship_grand_final/1338

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Results are here.

Saw the results on the LTC website - well done, man. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

World Triathlon AG Championships 2010 Report.

It was the final triathlon of my second season and what a fantastic experience to round it off :D It was the A goal for this year and the log started to document the journey. Did the final result do justice to the journey and the hard work? Perhaps not, however I have the bigger picture in view here and am happy with the place I’m in. I’ve progressed in general this year and my thirst for adventure has only grown. In truth I was having a pretty good race but 2 schoolboy error cost me in the region of 5 mins. Errors I will detail later and most certainly learn from.

Saturday
    Watching one of my own Club Mike Yelverton taking a bronze in the sprint, Nomadic finishing strong and later the 2 elite boys going head to head for 10k had me positively buzzing on Saturday! I went for a run with some strides with Bambaata and the body felt good. Thanks to Caz the sinus infection had cleared up too. A soak in the City’s fine Gellert Spa Baths served to keep the enthusiasm at a simmer.

The Race
    Pre dawn transition was a quiet place as everyone at this level knew what they had to do. Focused prep as the sun rose clearly for the first time that week. It was going to be a perfect day. Ireland had a big team travelling with no fewer than 12 of the 120 in my AG donning green and racked together. I was ready in plenty of time and hung out watching earlier starts with a mate from my club also going in my wave. The 25-29 included Bambaata and El Director. Both in good form that morning. Both focused. Both delivered stellar performances. After a recce of the secluded section of the Danube earlier that week Bambaata had described it as “swimming in milk”, a fair description :cool: It was a chilly 14 degrees and finding feet would be tough. You couldn’t see your hand extended in front of you, let alone trailing bubbles! I took a gel with 300ml of water 10 mins before the start

The Swim
    Our turn. I felt relaxed. I jumped off the pontoon into the cold water 3 feet below but as I resurfaced another guy jumped off and landed straight on my head, dunking me once again :rolleyes:! He was very apologetic but I was quite dazed hanging onto the edge for the start! My tactic was simple. Go Hard. The start was sudden and after 150m of practically a sprint I settled into some clear water. The leaders were already nearing the first buoy. The standard of swimming was unreal. I couldn’t even hold onto the pack. One guy did it in 17 and there were a dozen or more 18 min swims :eek: I got dunked again at the first buoy of the M-Shaped course. I also gave some other poor guy an almighty kick in the head accidentally. The water was murky so there were literally collisions at the turnarounds. I sighted more than usual but it took me ages to warm up and find a rhythm. I was not exactly efficient for the first 10 mins and I found myself towards the back of the wave. I was also drifting off line with annoying regularity. Thankfully I began to ‘feel’ the water and found a long stroke. I pushed from feet to feet up to the 3rd buoy and made up some places. My heart rate relaxed and I was eating into the distance to the pack. By the time I hit the last buoy however, they were by and large up in T1 already. I hit the short beach in 72nd position out of the 120 and 434 overall. The time was 23:49 and for an accurate course that’s 1:35 per 100m so not too bad.

T1
    It was a long transition but 2:15 was ranked 32 in the wave so no nonsense and a good leap of faith carried momentum onto the start of the bike.

The Bike
    The route was flat, road surface excellent by Irish standards and very little wind. A no nonsense 3 lap course, one for power so it suited me down to the ground. I had decided earlier in the week, having done a recce of the bike and run courses that I’d prioritise the bike target on the day. The sub40 off the bike I knew I’d get today or another time back home but it was a golden opportunity to hit the bike target pace of 40kmh. Irish course are just all too hilly and windy you would never hit a sub60 on the Beast of this or the Hell of that! I went for it and was having a great time. I attacked the corners and kept the cadence fresh. By the end of lap 3 I had made up 30 places in my AG and 200 places overall to 234. I was flying and was also not passed once while moving which was satisfying. I did notice at the turnaround points of lap 2 and 3 that I had 4-5 passengers. I was very wary of it actually. I had made up a lot of ground but was now in a mix of fast guys. I just stayed ahead. An Aussie sucked my wheel for 20 km which was annoying. Every once in a while someone would slingshot off to my left but get no more than half a bike length ahead before I pulled away again. After the final turnaround the Aussie pulled up to my right and asked how far we had to go. I had clock or watch so just ignored. He remained beside me and we were wheel parallel for 2km. I didn’t want to let him go since he had drafted me for so long. Approaching the final bend however I backed off to spin the legs out before transition. The Aussie barked later and a GBR athlete appeared on my left. Just at that moment a motorbike pulled up beeped and showed me a yellow card ON A CORNER and instructed me to go to the penalty tent :mad::mad::mad: I was aghast. Done for drafting the very guy who was my shadow for 2 laps!! I pulled into the penalty tent and stopped dead for 2 mins. T2 was 80 meters in front of me. I protested to the Marshall of course. I was livid and shaking with rage. He just held my stem and counted down 2 mins, 1 min, 30 secs, 10, 9….. 4, 3, 2, 1… It was the longest 2 mins of any race I have done. I abhor drafting and simply could not believe I was pulled for it after dragging those guys around! I learned my lesson. If I am caught up in a situation like that again late in a race I’ll just let the drafters off and get back to a safe distance quickly. During the 2 mins I watched as I lost 17 of those hard earned places go and dropped 110 places overall! A costly mistake indeed. I no sooner clipped in and started moving again when I had to take the feet out and dismount. 53:42 for the bike including the stop is satisfying though. A mid 51 bike would have me ranked in the top 20 in the wave and even if it was 5km short I was up around 41kmh for the course so target pace achieved. Did I overcook it? During the bike I was comfortable, pushing, but ultimately felt I could have pushed a higher gear at a cost.

T2
    I entered T2 in a fury and in 59th position in my AG. I noticed that there were 2 Irish bikes racked so despite the mistake I was doing ok amongst the Irish in my AG. I made up a few places and left T2 in 55th. Again ranked 31 in a no nonsense 2:25

The Run
    For once this season I left T2 at a good clip and although I had no watch I knew I was close to 4min kms. I felt good. Maybe it was the 2 min break I had. I was passed a few times but only a Spaniard, A Hungarian and a Mexican in my AG bounded passed like gazelles in the first 2km. The route was flat and ran along the bank of the Danube towards the city center and the iconic chain bridge. I spotted an American up ahead who I had passed on the bike and also watched as he passed me again standing in the penalty tent. I decided to try and catch him by the Green Bridge, the one before the Chain bridge and dug deep. I was about 3km in at this stage but as I pushed I stitched up. This was my second silly mistake coming to fruition. It was a hotter day than expected. I had a white 2XU cap with me but left it in the apartment that morning thinking I wouldn’t need it. I know now that I had not drunk water frequently enough in the preceding days. Hungarian cuisine is laced with salt and it was only after the race that it dawned on me. However in more stupidly, I took 2 power bar gels (27g carb of which 10g sugars) gels on the bike and only consumed 500ml or so of water (I noticed 200mls left in the aero bottle when I collected the bike later). I had taken a sip out of the first bottle on the run but really should have held onto it and drank it. In short, I was under hydrated and a.proper.muppet!! My biggest race ever and I got something so fundamentally wrong :o

The stitch got worse the harder I pushed and ultimately reduced me to a jog for 5km. I reckon I was doing well to hit even 5 min km pace. I tried a few times to push but each time it restricted my breathing. I just let runners go and dropped to 65 in my AG and 410 overall. I was dejected. I felt a lump in my throat as I came over the Chain bridge and hear the amazing support and my name being chanted. I tried to surge but my ribs bit back. I focused entirely on my breathing for the next few minutes. Big long breaths. The run up to the Basilica was just a stunning part of any run I’ve done. Along the same cobbles and under the clamour of the bells that Gomez and Brownlee did battle the previous day. I was passed by an Irish guy from my AG on the roundabout in front of Buda Castle and I have to say he got me going just as my stitch relieved. He pulled away slowly for the remaining 1.5km but I now had some legs. Looking at the results he ran a 39 so without the stitch I was close to target pace. I picked a KIWI with 30-34 on his leg as my rabbit. As we hit the cobbled street for the last time he passed me again. I vowed than if it was the last thing I was going to do in this race I would have him. I was going to finish my season passing someone on the run! At the Basilica turnaround we had 800m to go. He was working hard and I was stuck to him ready to salvage something. Some pride. A Hungarian drew up behind us and it was between the 3 of us with 400m to go who had the finish. The 3 of us were in the same AG and in the greater scheme of things this was an insignificant battle. They both made a move and I responded like my life depended on it. I think I might have actually roared “you are not getting in my finish line pic!” LOL :D I moved up to 65 in my AG and 402 overall for a finish and had put 10 secs on HUN who had left NZL. Such was the flavour of the race! 43:25 is my slowest 10k run split ever! 4:20 pace is utterly shocking but at least being ranked 79 in the wave it was only just worse that my swim :o

I don’t know if I can count 2:05:35 as a 5 min pb with the short bike but perhaps with the 2min stop and long transitions I may keep it. I’ll certainly never forget this race or this whole experience. Someone caught a nice pic of me. El Director and Bambaata holding an Irish flag too which I hope I can track down. Overall Budapest is a super location for a race and for a weekend trip in fact. The Elites were amazing to watch in particular Snowsill. A truly awesome display by the Olympic Champion. Having Caz with me for support was special but it all the texts and emails was cool too. Thanks to the boardsies for your good wishes too. We had some laugh that night and I’ve been feasting since.

So folks that’s the end of another log, I’ll take a few weeks off and have a think about 2011 and do a couple of long runs for the DCM pacing. I've learned loads again this year and only hope I can apply. In the meantime I have a lot of catch up reading to do on the logs. Thanks for tuning in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Well done. A great end to a mammoth season of hard training and dedicated effort. Enjoy the break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great report...and congrats on a great season.

You guys did the flag proud!

What's your plan to "decompress" for pacing DCM?
    Just a few long runs at "pacing pace" (PP anyone?...) or something a little more scientific?
    I'm getting a little concerned at the prospect of having to bang out 26 miles at a metronomic pace:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Excellent report and a truely memorable season MCOS. Well done. You must be well happy with how the season went for you. Well done in Budapest. Bad luck on the penalty and the stitch. Still a mommoth performance. Well done. Savage swim time and bike average!

Enjoy the feasting. :cool: I'm sure your goals for next season will make for very interesting reading. Thanks for a very informative and entertaining log. All the best for pacing DCM. As someone here said earlier...Chapeau ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done MCOS a great report, a 23.49 swim brings you about mid pack, yikes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fab report, well done on a great accomplishment. Post some photos up, if you get 'em!
    Looking forward to the new log / new goals..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done MCOS. You captured the race and it's surroundings better than I ever could.

You were so unlucky re the time penalty, my heart went out to u, it really wasn't fair and it couldn't have happened at a worse time. At least if you had another lap to do you could take the fury out on the bike course, instead you were just straight into T2. 41km/h ==unreal. Anyway you will/have gotten over it has you have a terrific attitude to both racing and training.

I learnt a lot from your log this year and I thank you for that. I look forward to another one soon.......giving up any hints as to next years A goals???? If like me you enjoyed racing abroad in a huge event I am sure it will consist of a tri abroad...only question is, what distance???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Jaysus MCOS, when I first saw your results a couple of days ago I was thinking 'savage biking', to learn afterwards that it included a 2 min stop and go?? - wow
    You were fierce unfortunate with that penalty on the bike - why does it always happen to the good guys? :rolleyes:

Great log, unreal training, and only your second season. Don't stay away too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Great stuff MCOS,
    Christ knows what you'll achieve next year. Looking forward to finding out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Wow, some report and racing mcos, inspirational stuff, well done !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ah great stuff MCOS. Really enjoyed the report. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Great report as always MCOS, and well done on a fantastic year.

Pity about those Aussies eh? I'm sure Alf Stewart would have a thing or to to say to those fair dinkum cheating drongos! Flamin' Galahs!

Still what can you expect from a country that would do this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

As usual great report fella. Well done. Really enjoyed your log. I think I may have to will revisit it as the detail in it is very valuable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Wow, what can I say that hasn't been said - Savage stuff. Great racing, you were very unfortunate to get stung like that for drafting on the bike, and to end up getting a stitch on the run, bummer.

Well done on a fantastic achievement.

I was looking at some of the coverage online and thought the panoramic shots of the cyclists flying past the front of the governement buildings was very impressive. I must look up this 'chain bridge'.

What great training from day one, and a great log from the first post. I enjoyed the journey, cheers. Enjoy your break and don't eat too much choclate :)

The pacing is great craic, you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

great season mcos - you got very unlucky on a few counts during that race and still plugged away - Id be almost shocked at this stage if one of next years 'A' races for you wasnt something a lot longer ;)

enjoy the break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

well done MCOS - great to see all the hard work paid off for you. Balls about the penalties and dehydration but as they say every days a school day

really enjoyed your log for the year and I have to say I'm going to miss it

Great few months form you. Roll on next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

well done MCOS - enjoyed the log and you deserve a lot of credit for the overall contribution on this forum over the past two years. Glad the race went well for you, even with the messing on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Lads seriously thanks a million. It was a really really cool experience. I'll do my best to follow all of your logs too, I just don't get on Boards for long enough stints!

@Izoard - nothing scientific Chief. You in particular have a great base from the IM. Last year I just did 1 3 hour run after Kenmare. This year I'll run 3 times a week.
    1 long easy starting this sunday for 1:30 and progressing each week to 1:50, 2:10, 2:30, 2:50
    1 PMP (Pacer Marathon Pace :D) run midweek starting at 40min next week and progressing to 1:00, 1:20, 1:40, 1:20
    1 Z2 run for 40 mins each week.
    Apart from that the odd swim and 1 easy short bike per week.

@Catweazle - Yeah the swim standard was nuts especially athletes from AUS, GBR and USA

@Krusty - I'll post one when I order it man. I'll actually purchase one this time.

@El Director - Combining a goal with a trip is the way to go man. Involve the OH and its all gravy baby :) BTW if you have a copy of that Pic of teh 3 Boardsies under the flag, can you email a copy to me. I have no issue with you posting it either.

@DustyBin - Good question. I wouldn't be anywhere near the top guys mate but my bike has been good all year. I think I was making a lot of progress on the bike and eventually caught up with faster guys. Thing is when you get there there is little difference between the speed we are travelling. Thats why I stayed in front of the group of 4-5 until the end. It was just my own fault that when I decided to let them go, I didn't get back quickly enough. Normally I would but it was just before a corner, hence why I thought is was harsh. My advice would be that if you get involved in a battle with 1 or more other bikes, just be very wary of the distance you are keeping between them!

@Macrani -Dude I'm feasting on the stuff like a starving polar Bear stocking up for a long Thaw :D

As for next years Goals. I'll nail down some ideas soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done for keeping your cool MCOS - I reckon I'd have been so upset at the unfairness of the penalty I'd have stormed off in a huff!

Great performance - glad you enjoyed Budapest too, I spent a couple of hours there last year and thought it was a great city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement