Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Wow terrific result! Well done, going very well indeed. Great to see the improvements from one month to the next. I haven't been so lucky, the two duathlons i entered so far have been snowed off! Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Serious biking (and running!), very impressive. Fair play, good to see the dividends of training!

By the way, have you heard anything from triathlon ire re euro/world champs since conformation of your place? I thought there would be training weekends and I thought we would have to order our gear by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done in the Duathlon, the're some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thanks Guys. Yeah hopefully I can get the running together by Sept and pull in a good all round performance with the green on.

El Director, nope nothing from TI yet. Still one QF race to go for the Worlds in May so it might be a while before we here yet. I agree though that it would be nice to have a training camp or two for the AG team going to Hungary. Sorry I was slow getting back but up the walls in work, missed my lunchtime run even :cool:

Rankings for the duathlon improved too so moving in the right direction slowly but surely

Duathlon #1 17/7/32
    Duathlon #2 14/3/23

I'll check in on all your logs later to see how the training goes for you all.

• Advertisement

Ya that makes since, selection pool for athlon is in April too so they'll prob have to wait for that too. Don't work to hard....try and get a nap in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

good going MCOS, that's great work on the bike

Very long day at the office today and it wasn't in anyway easy.. left at about 7.30 with my brain fried craving comfort food. When I got home it was properly miserable out. Cold, dark, wet, windy and the roads were slushy. I felt like not bothering but pulled on the compression socks and about 4 layers and headed out into it. It turned out to be a decent run, 15.3km at avg 7:16/mile pace and 152 avg hr and a few hills thrown in. I was almost running in the middle of urban roads as the footpaths were slippy. Passed a couple of runners en route too. The great limerick run has definitely proved a great incentive to pound the pavements around here. I focused on cadence and trying to maintain a constant rhythm which was good. The only low point was passing a huge puddle and was duly splashed by a driver. The water was so cold and puddle so deep that I lost my breath for a second. The last 25mins were a race back to a hot shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Fairplay to you getting out in that weather after a long day in the office mcos... I would definitely have hit the sofa with the comfort food!

Slept like a log last night but just 6.5 hours of it after chatting on the phone for a while. Need to hit the sack earlier more often, I really do.

Swim session this morning
    12*50m catch up with fins on - grand easy warm up
    11*100m off 1:50 - the pace was quick but I found these comfortable, tried to focus on relaxed recovery and not pulling too hard in the first quarter of the stroke. In on 1:42 for first 5 the 1:40 for the rest
    6*200m off 3:45 - These were ok only, lead out the last 3. I was tired and its been 6 days since my last swim so it told. Came in on about 3:30-35
    Cool down was 4*100m kick 50 f/s 50 with fins on. Toes began cramping on these.. I knew it was hydration this time.
    3,300m total.

Mileage definitely has an effect. I have less than half the mileage put in this month than January and while I'm still working on stroke aspects, the fewer swims lately means my heart rate is that bit higher on these sets meaning I have to work a bit harder to maintain the pace.

Day 9 of lent.. is it getting easier? hmmm... a little I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Slept like a log last night but just 6.5 hours of it after chatting on the phone for a while. Need to hit the sack earlier more often, I really do.

Swim session this morning
    12*50m catch up with fins on - grand easy warm up
    11*100m off 1:50 - the pace was quick but I found these comfortable, tried to focus on relaxed recovery and not pulling too hard in the first quarter of the stroke. In on 1:42 for first 5 the 1:40 for the rest
    6*200m off 3:45 - These were ok only, lead out the last 3. I was tired and its been 6 days since my last swim so it told. Came in on about 3:30-35
    Cool down was 4*100m kick 50 f/s 50 with fins on. Toes began cramping on these.. I knew it was hydration this time.
    3,300m total.

Mileage definitely has an effect. I have less than half the mileage put in this month than January and while I'm still working on stroke aspects, the fewer swims lately means my heart rate is that bit higher on these sets meaning I have to work a bit harder to maintain the pace.

Day 9 of lent.. is it getting easier? hmmm... a little I suppose

Nice swim session there.

As for lent getting easier, not a chance. Came home from the track last night and watched the Winter Olympics on Eurosport. Huge cravings for crisps and chocolate. Going to be tough next week. I usually eat at least 2 Ritter Sport a day when skiing. Will have to bring some nuts and dried apricots instead. How exciting! :(

Last night: Turbo 60mins 10mins Z1, 10 mins Z2 spinning, then 4 reps of 4 mins in Z4 with recovery steady spinning, 8 min cool down in Z2. Average watts 240, did the 4 reps at avg 320 watts. Good session felt strong, 35.2km total.

Swim afterwards with Caz, very easy 30 mins helping her out mostly. 1,250m

This morning: Early run with the fast lads. 17km avg hr 158 avg pace for the run 7:18/mile. I only managed to stay with the lads up to 10km then hr was too high so I had to back off. They were at sub 7min pace when I left them. Nice condition although wet on the riverbank. Stupid new running leggings came apart at the ankle zipper. I lost sight of the lads at about 16km so I headed to the gym for a stretch as they forged on at a relentless pace. The last km was devoid of energy and pretty slow. 77mins for the run and the stretch was really needed. Quite stiff. Need to stretch more, need to stretch more, need to stretch more...

Car packed it in this morning at one of the busiest roundabouts in the city, I was mortified. Clutch gone :cool: I really really want chocolate to cheer me up....

Swim session this morning. Very nearly hit the snooze button, lazy getting up but pledge still intact :). Day 10 of lent...
    Arrived late so short 300m warm up
    8*50m fast off 60secs
    (200m/150m/100m/50m)*3 all off normal RTs. Only did 400 of last set but overall this was very comfortable. Taking about 37 strokes per 50m the stroke felt long and even easy at times.
    8*50m max off 1:30. These were hard work and the last 15m of each can only be described as what it must feel like to swim uphill. About 41-42secs per rep.
    100m easy cool down. 2,500m total. I must get more swimming in next month.

Yo mcos, just going through your full thread and it is very very impressive! It's always good to know someone faster than yourself.....something to aim for hehe ;-)

How gorgeous is the weather eh :)

Saturday: Day off - nothing... eating a lot to kill cravings
    Sunday: 2 hour turbo steady avg watts 240. Threw 10*2min reps in, at the end of every 10mins. First 5 were at 320 watts and next 5 at 340 watts. 69.6km. Felt good, decent session. Beautiful day out but alas daylight gone by the time I was free. Played lots of football though.

Overall the month of February was average. Good signs on the bike and swimming but running was the one with issues. The last week was about quality over quantity, only 6 sessions but they were mostly all good.

This morning: Swim session.
    Ventured into the fast lane like a scared kitten this morning. I basically held on for dear life and was delighted to not get lapped!
    16*50m easy warm up
    (100m*4/200m)*2 not sure of RTs but I made them... just about. Pretty much constantly swimming on the 2nd set.
    (300m/150m*2)*2 again not sure of RTs but this was hard work and I didn't make them. I was wrecked trying to keep up on the first 300 and then had to stop at the wall before the 150 to get my water bottle from my usual lane. By the time I took a sip they were half way up the pool. The second set I took at my own pace as I had long lost the feet in front of me. 100m easy cool down. Shattered but I just about survived it.

Things I noticed in this lane. They tumble turn so the momentum of the swim is kept up. The pace is relentless :eek: 3,300m in 70mins including what little rest I got.. thats some kind of record for me... was too dizzy to notice!

Not much time by the time I got in the door from work and had a bite to eat so Turbo cut a bit short.

45mins avg watts 239, mainly spinning at 100-105 rpm. Last 4mins at 330watts. Avg speed 34.9kmh. Felt good.

Swim afterwards in the 25m with Caz. 1,400m pretty easy. For some reaon I got the idea to try a tumble turn in my head and thus fired myself at the wall. Turned ok onto my back but angle all wrong and I ended up diving to the pool floor. Tried about 20 times and every so often got one right ish, in that I kicked off straight and rolled from my back to my side. The momentum and thrust from the wall is significant when you get it right. If its worth a second or 2 per length thats nearly a minute in Joey so I may as well practice. My current technique would cost me about 5 seconds a length :rolleyes: Can't believe I'm talking about tumble turns... what a difference a year makes!! Not a hope of me doing them in Joey though if I can't do 30 in a row without holding the whole show up! My lane will probably be too slow to be allowed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Not much time by the time I got in the door from work and had a bite to eat so Turbo cut a bit short.

45mins avg watts 239, mainly spinning at 100-105 rpm. Last 4mins at 330watts. Avg speed 34.9kmh. Felt good.

Swim afterwards in the 25m with Caz. 1,400m pretty easy. For some reaon I got the idea to try a tumble turn in my head and thus fired myself at the wall. Turned ok onto my back but angle all wrong and I ended up diving to the pool floor. Tried about 20 times and every so often got one right ish, in that I kicked off straight and rolled from my back to my side. The momentum and thrust from the wall is significant when you get it right. If its worth a second or 2 per length thats nearly a minute in Joey so I may as well practice. My current technique would cost me about 5 seconds a length :rolleyes: Can't believe I'm talking about tumble turns... what a difference a year makes!! Not a hope of me doing them in Joey though if I can't do 30 in a row without holding the whole show up! My lane will probably be too slow to be allowed anyway

by all means keep trying the tumble turns but from what I know - most if not all - pool based tri's outlaw them believe it or not. At your rate of progression you'll be leading the fast lane anyhow chief ;)

interested wrote: »
    by all means keep trying the tumble turns but from what I know - most if not all - pool based tri's outlaw them believe it or not. At your rate of progression you'll be leading the fast lane anyhow chief ;)

I don't know about that. The middle lane pretty much stays together as a bunch with a breakaway every so often, however the fast lane has a gulf between the back and front and breaks up easily. Quite fragmented actually as there are proper swimmers in there who do a b/s cool down faster than I can sprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I don't know about that. The middle lane pretty much stays together as a bunch with a breakaway every so often, however the fast lane has a gulf between the back and front and breaks up easily. Quite fragmented actually as there are proper swimmers in there who do a b/s cool down faster than I can sprint!

swimming (and suffering) in a lane of swimmers faster than you is worth sooooooo much more to you than swimming alone or leading a lane. imho. 6 months time - you'll have adjusted.

Last night: Track session which I did on grass. 5k warm up which felt good because I had a nice rhythm going bang on 4:31/km pace for 4km of it. Lovely evening although fairly chilly. Joined the WLAC session then for some stretches and strides one of which was all out. Reminded me of some sprinting I used to do as a teen. The speed was good and strong but its the stamina that I lack. Anyway after the episode with the last track session over a month ago I got stuck into the 10*80sec 1 min rest a little anxious but it turned into a solid session. Consistent 420m or so per rep. Didn't overdo it but no slacking off the effort either. 5:01 - 5:13/mile pace range for the reps so speed wasn't bad. Calves held up too which was the main worry all good :)

60mins Pilates flow afterwards. Haven't been in ages a thus creaked and shook like a machine that hasn't ever seen oil. Great class though.

This morning: Swim session.
    Tried out the back of the fast lane again but it was tough going.
    16*50m warm up with fins
    14*100m off 1:45 coming in just under 1:40. Hard work and since the front of the lane were going off stiffer RTs I only did 14 reps and was breathing heavily after them.
    400m*2 max effort :eek: - first one in 6:xx but I was spent and died after 150m of the second one to just swim it down.
    3,000m and a cruel session to start the day.

In other news I took my Garmin out of the bag yesterday to find the screen cracked :mad: Booo hisss hopefully there is a warranty or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In other news I took my Garmin out of the bag yesterday to find the screen cracked :mad: Booo hisss hopefully there is a warranty or something

Thats the second one on here I have read about... gonna have to wrap mine in cotton wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Re the pilates flow class - i have never seen such a flexible women then her herself! Ill never forget the time she attempted to get the class doing a handstand type thing. Sweet jesus. im about as flexible as a lamppost despite my efforts to improve .

interested wrote: »
    swimming (and suffering) in a lane of swimmers faster than you is worth sooooooo much more to you than swimming alone or leading a lane. imho. 6 months time - you'll have adjusted.

I was thinking about that actually. My secret swimming goal to myself was to be in this lane by the end of the year so I thought I was getting a little ahead of myself. I know that running with faster people is bringing the running along but I didn't know if swimming with fast people did that too. The lead guys n gals(mostly) are 20min 1500 swimmers or better then there is a second group in the lane which I am currently hanging on to the back of for dear life. If it brings me along I'll stick with it, the suffering that is!
    ULstudent wrote: »
    Re the pilates flow class - i have never seen such a flexible women then her herself! Ill never forget the time she attempted to get the class doing a handstand type thing. Sweet jesus. im about as flexible as a lamppost despite my efforts to improve .

Its not just the flexibility, plenty of very flexible people in that class (I'm at the other wooden limb end) but also about sheer core strength and stability. Everytime we have a family dinner some debate about exercise or movement or technique pops up (My lil bro runs a personal training business) and demos then ensue... any guests usually think we are all barking mad. Last sunday roast involved a tricep push ups debate. If you can imagine 6-7 people all getting down for some push ups after a sunday roast and then falling about the place laughing at each other thats my family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Last sunday roast involved a tricep push ups debate. If you can imagine 6-7 people all getting down for some push ups after a sunday roast and then falling about the place laughing at each other thats my family :)

Ahhh yes - that explains a lot! Don't know how you do it all. I'm still glazey-eyed after the track session and you've squeezed in a pilates class and a 3km swim session since then. My head's nearly exploding even thinking about it. ;).

Good to see you down at the track again. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The Garmin glass is very dodgy, in fairness I thought I hadnt a hope contacting them about it as it was my fault I dropped it. Was fairly honest but did mention for a specially built triathlete watch you would have thought it was a bit more hard wearing. They should have some type of rubber accessory that provides a bit more protection for the glass

Painless enough I got a few emails passed back and forth and had to provide a picture, but they said they could cover that, sent it off on monday and they said they should have one back to me within 10 days of them having recieved it.

If you want my picture let me know, seeing as my crack passed the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

60mins Pilates flow afterwards. Haven't been in ages a thus creaked and shook like a machine that hasn't ever seen oil. Great class though.

I was at that class as well last night MCOS...seeing as there were only 2 other lads there, I'm guessing you weren't the guy in the Limerick hurling jersey but rather the guy in the compression socks? Must introduce myself next week.

Found the class pretty tough after a weekend of rugby excess in London and my hips are nice and tender today...it'll all be worth it if I can break 80mins for the Limerick half in May, that's what I keep telling myself :D

I was at that class as well last night MCOS...seeing as there were only 2 other lads there, I'm guessing you weren't the guy in the Limerick hurling jersey but rather the guy in the compression socks? Must introduce myself next week.

Found the class pretty tough after a weekend of rugby excess in London and my hips are nice and tender today...it'll all be worth it if I can break 80mins for the Limerick half in May, that's what I keep telling myself :D

Yep that was me. sub80 for the half, nice target. Best of luck with it!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

How to turn a very sh!t week into an unbelievably sh!t week... enter TI.

Training: 1600m swim drill last night.

I'm taking a time-out...

:mad: :mad: :mad:

How to turn a very sh!t week into an unbelievably sh!t week... enter TI.

Training: 1600m swim drill last night.

I'm taking a time-out...

Sorry man to hear you've had a sh|t week, it happens from time to time.

Mcos what's up here? What have the TI done now?

Also i'm interested in pilates would u recommend it?

Any races this weekend?

• Advertisement

Sorry man to hear you've had a sh|t week, it happens from time to time.
    Mcos what's up here? What have the TI done now?
    Also i'm interested in pilates would u recommend it?
    Any races this weekend?

Cheers. Twas a humdinger of a week alright and re: the TI thing, I'll get into that in a few weeks as there are still things in the air.

Pilates flow is excellent for core stability and strength provided the intructor knows their stuff and doesn't turn it into a yoga class (no disresprect to yoga or Tai Chi or anything else of the nature). For me its to improve weak muscle balance, make me conscious of posture especially for running and most of all teh class is a challenge almost avery time!

Lying low on the races this spring. My free weekends are just not matching up to them.

Advertisement