Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quick update on the last week. I was on hols so chilling mainly but got a bit of swimming and running done. Nice break as it was needed. Ready to get back into it now. I also broke the lent pledge. Delicious moist chocolate orange brownies baked for me for my birthday could not be avoided.. it would have been rude. Ah well.

Saturday: Day off
    Sunday am: Swim 3,000m steady in outdoor 25m pool.
    Monday am: Swim 1,500m easy after hangover wore off.
    Monday pm: Easy run 8km along the beach with Caz
    Tuesday am: Run easy 3km to collect car. Swim 4,000m long n steady
    Wednesday am: Run 14.6km with 3*8min reps which I basically struggled to finish as a result of not bringing water. Waay off target paces.
    Wednesday pm: OW swim 800m approx. Found a beautiful beach inlet and explored it.
    Thursday am: Run 21.1km long run along the beach front promenade. Avg hr 147 and pace average 7:46/mile. Nice run and felt good. Swim 2,500m afterwards which was a bit chilly and windy.
    Thursday pm: Swim 2,700m shoulders a bit tired. Threw some tumble turns in for the craic. They are improving but still awful.
    Friday am: 3km run after dropping off car. Swim 3,500m afterwards steady.
    Saturday am: Swim 2,000m nice and easy with a tumble turn here and there.
    Today: Back home and 2 hours easy turbo

Lanzarote is a lovely Island although weather wasn't good and it is very windy. Lots of cyclists and IM looking triathletes on the roads., which are perfectly smooth and have long straights. Lots and lots of mountains to climb and tough climbs they looked too. Some cool descents too. Definitely a place to come with your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sounds like a great holiday. For someone relaxng and taking it easy you got a nice bit of training in! :D

You fully recharged and ready to tear back in to the training now?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Sounds like a great holiday. For someone relaxng and taking it easy you got a nice bit of training in! :D

You fully recharged and ready to tear back in to the training now?

You bet ya :D Caz is learning to swim so we just spent lots of time on the water. Just 4 weeks to her first Tri.

Just over 4 weeks to the first Triathlon of the season. Hopefully I'll get a 5k, 10k or some sort of running event in there somewhere to guage running status. Swim TT this thursday where I'm hoping to crack 17mins. Last Duathlon on Sunday is a qualifier for the World Duathlon Champs in Edinburgh so that is going to attract a high standard and number of entrants. TT league starting again soon so I need to get some work done on the bike.

Went for a lunchtime swim instead of running as I noticed on the Club training noticeboard that there was a session going on at a local pool not too far from work. It was busy and mainly the masters guys n gals. Jumped in and followed suit. Kept up no probs on the f/s which was about 8-9*100s and then they decided to do a whole lot of backstroke.
    (25m b/s kick only/25m b/s)*12 :eek: My legs were hanging off me and I struggled on the backstroke. Don't know how I got through it. Did about 300m cool down easy. 1800m total. The masters don't hang about, all work and as good a 40min swim as I've done so I may do this again next week. I may even brave a tumble turn yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Just over 4 weeks to the first Triathlon of the season. Hopefully I'll get a 5k, 10k or some sort of running event in there somewhere to guage running status. Swim TT this thursday where I'm hoping to crack 17mins. Last Duathlon on Sunday is a qualifier for the World Duathlon Champs in Edinburgh so that is going to attract a high standard and number of entrants. TT league starting again soon so I need to get some work done on the bike.

Went for a lunchtime swim instead of running as I noticed on the Club training noticeboard that there was a session going on at a local pool not too far from work. It was busy and mainly the masters guys n gals. Jumped in and followed suit. Kept up no probs on the f/s which was about 8-9*100s and then they decided to do a whole lot of backstroke.
    (25m b/s kick only/25m b/s)*12 :eek: My legs were hanging off me and I struggled on the backstroke. Don't know how I got through it. Did about 300m cool down easy. 1800m total. The masters don't hang about, all work and as good a 40min swim as I've done so I may do this again next week. I may even brave a tumble turn yikes!

welcome back chief - is it me or has the amount of swimming you're doing increased slightly as you rush towards 6 figures ;) Masters lunch time swimming with the open water adventures on holiday ??

:)

Im still green regarding your open water (in warmish water) swims in Lanza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Quick update on the last week. I was on hols so chilling mainly but got a bit of swimming and running done. Nice break as it was needed. Ready to get back into it now. I also broke the lent pledge. Delicious moist chocolate orange brownies baked for me for my birthday could not be avoided.. it would have been rude. Ah well.

Saturday: Day off
    Sunday am: Swim 3,000m steady in outdoor 25m pool.
    Monday am: Swim 1,500m easy after hangover wore off.
    Monday pm: Easy run 8km along the beach with Caz
    Tuesday am: Run easy 3km to collect car. Swim 4,000m long n steady
    Wednesday am: Run 14.6km with 3*8min reps which I basically struggled to finish as a result of not bringing water. Waay off target paces.
    Wednesday pm: OW swim 800m approx. Found a beautiful beach inlet and explored it.
    Thursday am: Run 21.1km long run along the beach front promenade. Avg hr 147 and pace average 7:46/mile. Nice run and felt good. Swim 2,500m afterwards which was a bit chilly and windy.
    Thursday pm: Swim 2,700m shoulders a bit tired. Threw some tumble turns in for the craic. They are improving but still awful.
    Friday am: 3km run after dropping off car. Swim 3,500m afterwards steady.
    Saturday am: Swim 2,000m nice and easy with a tumble turn here and there.
    Today: Back home and 2 hours easy turbo

Lanzarote is a lovely Island although weather wasn't good and it is very windy. Lots of cyclists and IM looking triathletes on the roads., which are perfectly smooth and have long straights. Lots and lots of mountains to climb and tough climbs they looked too. Some cool descents too. Definitely a place to come with your bike.

Serious break man! Looking forward to 5 days in Poland coming up soon myself. Great to get away and come back refreshed, re energised and ready to go!

Turbo: 70mins. Aimed at doing an hour of work but as I felt fresh and strong I added just a bit to see what I'd get for 40k. Short warm up and then into (8 mins spinning at 230-240 watts and 2 mins big gear at 350-360 watts)*6 and then just held 330 watts for the last few mins to clock 62:30 for 40k before a short easy cool down. I know that speed is relatively meaningless on the turbo but average for the 40k was 264 watts which I'm pretty happy with. Avg speed 38.4kmh.

Swim: Afterwards I headed to the pool with Caz with a book in my hand intending to just watch but met the coach there and he said jump in for a splash. Empty lanes really so got in bhind an IM guy doing a hard set on his own. Took me 800m to figure out he was on for a long one so I backed off. Pace was sub 1:40 and I have a 1,000m TT on thursday night that I'd like to do well at. Turned out he was doing a straight 2k at 1:35 pace! Got into a lane by myself and did some easy 100s focusing on trying to catch a bit sharper. Threw a few tumble turns in also which were invariable too deep/wrong angle off wall/breathing wrong etc... hence the 'wasabi' effect interested mentioned and lots of pool water consumed. 2,400m all in.

Tuesday: 30mins easy on the turbo to warm up. Track session with the usual warm up exercise3s, strides etc.. 10*80sec. Did them on the track this time and resisted the temptation to chase after the fast lads. Glad of it because I was dying after 300m on each rep as we hit a stiff headwind off the last bend. Averaged about 420m per rep with 60sec recoveries. Stayed consitant for the 10 of them and after the first bend sorting I wasn't passed by anyone from behind and kept a steady distance from the fast lads so overall a solid session without destroying myself. Same as last track session but the fact that I did it on the track instead of grass and calves held up. Things improving slightly.

Paddies Day: First brick training session of the year. 60mins bike/20mins run.
    The bike part was good. 60mins out and back average speed 35.4kmh. Avg hr152 which shows that I was working here. Tough headwind going out but made up for it holding good speed on the way back. Mad how even though it was certainly a stiff headwind at times going out, its never a true tailwind back! Stayed on the bars for most of it except some drags, roundabouts and slowing for traffic lights.
    The run part was short but hard work. It felt like a proper brick session in that my legs were like lead after the bike. Built up to 3km in 4:19/4:17/4:08 and then eased down. Run off the bike clearly needs work.

Swim with Caz afterwards just before the pool closed to cool down. Really really easy. Just 600m as my shoulders felt completely dead and got out after that.

Ahh day off today, at the very least some light recovery later. Calves need some rolling.

1,000m Swim TT last night and happy to report a pb :) Only aloud a quick 100m warm up as 2 waves to get through for the Coach. New experienced guy in my lane who seemed very confident and said he would prob get under 17 and on a good day hit 16. Me and my regular TT swim buddy decided that sounded good and let him off. He lead out and set a furious pace. I went 5 secs later and found myself working hard to chase his feet . I convinced myself to do my own thing and relaxed the stroke. I immediately felt longer and in more control and found that I was cruising right behind him after 200m with my swim buddy on my tail. Too comfy, I overtook soon after and lead the rest home. Hit pbs at 500m (7:53) and 750m (12:03) on the way. It got hard at about 750 but I just kept pushing without the stroke going to the dogs. When it got tough I focused on length, length, length. Normally my swim buddy and I finish together and he had a great swim. I had 30m of clear water and did 16:08!!! Average 1:36 for the 1,000m. Well pleased with that :D

Kevin7 and RedB seemed happy out with some good pbs of their own too!

Saveage stuff MCOS. You must be well chuffed. 3 PBs in 1 swim. That's great going. All that yardage in the pool is really paying off. Congrats. Enjoy the rest day.

• Advertisement

3rd duathlon today and standard as expected was higher. Nice conditions and the course record was hung out to dry by our own Colm Turner with an awsome display of running and biking, but mostly his easy loping running:eek: Anyway personally it was just another so-so day for me. 5 second improvement overall from the last one but I didn't learn anything new. Dropped 30secs on the bike but gained 30secs on the runs so much of a muchness. 25th which is my worst position yet even over my rookie season. The first run average 5:59/mile pace starting at 5:30 and dropping to low 6. Everyone seemed to be running away from me but I just did my own thing. Faded in this section as always but noticed that I seemed to be tight around the shoulders and stride was forced. The bike was ok but I stayed at 53/13 and even 53/14 on the way back (the fast bit) in when usually I'd be hammering at 53/12. Made up about 10 places or so but could have done better. I wanted to save something for the 2nd run. Run off the bike started at 6:57/mile pace and finished at 6:22 pace. I plodded for the first half and was passed about 5 times. I noticed a clubmate gaining on me so I found some gas to take it up marginally. I had nothing on the last hill though and he sprinted up past me but the small thing to gain from this section was that I managed to build into the run and had a 'little', if ineffective fight in me. I was more wrecked today afterwards than either of the other 2 events. Its early days and I was certainly way off peak for this series overall but there were some learnings. First the progression of stats (distances 3.6/14.3/3.6)

Duathlon 1 12th in 53:53 R1 13:40(17) Bike 23:50(7) R2 15:32(32)
    Duathlon 2 13th in 52:47 R1 13:19(14) Bike 23:17(3) R2 15:02(23)
    Duathlon 3 25th in 52:42 R1 13:15(30) Bike 23:43(17) R2 14:44(28)

So the pattern and what I've learned to carry forward. Overall the series was not great in terms of the results I was expecting. Conditions decent for all 3 and yes they improved but today was the best conditions and so the improvement should have been greater. The rankings in the 3rd one indicates the increased standard of competeition also (qualifier).
    So, Run1 generally got a bit better. What have I learned..?

- I tend to go off hard and fade. When I think of every good race, training session or test I've done I always finished stronger than I started and built the intensity through the session. Hence I know I have an initial speed burst to get out fast but I cannot maintain and so it suits me better to ease into it, establish rhythm and build to reel people in. So I have to reign the enthusiasm back in.

The bike was strong enough and when I eased off a bit the run off the bike improved marginally. What does this tell me.

- The bike speed is there but I need to A) get more bike mileage so it doesn't take as much out of me B) run off the bike more, even if its just a few mins and C) practice building to intended race pace off the bike

What I have noticed about the second run and noticed in both runs today is that I'm running tight. Basically thinking too much about it tecnically and not relaxing. As a result My stride is going to pot and no matter how much I ask of my legs they won't stretch out and take off if they are not relaxed. So, I'm going to focus on running by 'feel' for a while. Establish the most relaxed and natural stride for me and build cadence into that stride.

North Tipp Sprint is the first Tri of the season and as its NS this year which means the standard will be higher. Just 4 weeks to step the running up a notch :)

Struggling to get up this week in the morning, really struggling and its not because Caz is staying over, its because of staying up too late reading! Finished the second book in the Millenium Trilogy last night. Its a real page turner and had me up until 2am the last 2 nights. I might wait until the weekend before I open the last one "The girl who kicked the hornets nest" I'd recommend it so far anyway :)

Monday: Rest day, since I have no car at the moment though I decided to jog easy the 5km commute to and from work.

Yesterday: 10k easy jogging commute again (not going to be a habit by any means) and Track in the evening. The usual warm up, stretches and strides. Then 8*80sec with 1 min rest. It was chilly and wet but I felt pretty good. I haven't had a watch on this week at all as I am just running how I feel. I could feel the weekend race in my legs so decided on just 8 reps and holding back a bit. I felt good and really enjoyed the session. In fact I was running a bit better than last week in that I still got 420m approx per rep but they were all consistant. No dying on the last bend and no hands on knees in between. I even felt that there was more in the tank to push on the last stretch if I wanted. Why? I was just much more relaxed and running how I feel. No watch and no pressure. Most enjoyable track session so far :) More of this required!

This Morning: Swim session. First day back with the group in a couple of weeks and haven't swam in a week. Couple that with the late night reading and not enough sleep I was under no illusion that this would be handy.
    16*50m warm up with fins, doing catch up, backstroke, kicking etc
    400m*3 lead out the first 2 and came in on 6:55 but started to feel the shoulders and legs tiring. Fell back a bit and had to work harder to do the 3rd rep in 7. Only 200m as a 4th rep as fast lane were finished already.
    100m*6 off 1:55 coming in between 1:38-1:40
    50m*8 max off 1:30 coming in between 40-42 secs.
    3,200m total felt tired so tough session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hey there, got your post on teh blog but my laptop has died and is in getting fixed so access is sporadic and I don't have your email address (like everything else its on a HDD that is sitting on a repair bench somewhere :mad:)

I hope all is ok on the TI front & good to see you still ploughing through the training despite whatever setbacks you've had!

Yesterday am: went to meet the lads for an early morning run but we all arrived within a few mins of each other thinking we were late and so all set off running a slightly different route and although we finished within a few mins of each other we never crossed paths :confused: weird. Despite that I had a nice run 13.8km with no watch, running at L2 or what I felt L2 was. Took in a few miles of the Limerick Marathon course and wished it wasn't on the same day as Joey. 70mins total and then into the gym to roll out the calves and stretch. Calves felt fine. In fact it was probably the over compensation to the front foot in changing my stride and foot strike that lead to the calves reacting so poorly. Coming back to a mid foot strike is definitely more comfortable. Wet spring morning but mild. Very enjoyable run. there is something about running beside water that soothes me.

Yesterday pm: 60mins turbo. This turned into a brutal session. 10mins high cadence and then I had decided to do 4*5mins at 300watts with 5mins off in between. However, I felt good on the first rep and decided to extend it to 8mins, still felt good and kept going ... for 45mins! Then pushed it to 400watts for 90 seconds before getting off the bike and wobbling. Avg watts 293 but what made me push was the avg speed, 42.2kmh. I went through 40k in 56:33!! Even though it was only on a turbo, it was still a full 6 mins better than my last 40k attempt. Hopefully a good sign that I can go sub60 on the road on a good day this summer. A couple of months ago I was in bits trying to hold 300 watts for 20mins so I was very pleased with this session :)

Swim session afterwards mostly focusing on drills. Catch up, single arm, windmill, kicking, fast , slow, fartlek etc.. tough session but enjoyable. 1,900m total. Tough day of training but 3 quality session in one day is a rarity.

This morning: Swim session.
    50m*12 easy warm up
    400m steady
    (100m*3 off 1:45/2*50 quick)*3
    200m swim down.
    2,400m I felt tired this morning so I was hanging on to the back of the fast lane more or less suffering. Had to be in work early so cut sessiona little short. I was dusted in any case. I can just about survive the tail of the fast lane if they are doing 100s or maybe 200s but a set of 400s would be a real struggle. The new swimming aim this year is to adapt to this lane so that I can get through a whole set without being dropped.

That's one serious days training. Fair play on that significant breakthrough on the bike.

LMAO though as I recall not so long ago someone telling me:

"I'd do maybe 3 doubles a week except for recovery weeks and they all happen on swim days. Like the lads said above coupled with a key workout. I'd never have 2 key workouts the same day or 2 intense workouts the same day." :cool:

Touche :)

...alas the run was only L2 and it was a swim day :D The turbo was the intense part and key session. Don't confuse 3 quality workouts with 3 key workouts :P

I think that is where I am struggling - key vs quality. How do you distinguish between the two? Cheers

pgibbo wrote: »
    I think that is where I am struggling - key vs quality. How do you distinguish between the two? Cheers

Key workouts: These would be the most important workouts of the week. Obviously a race, TT or fitness test. All sessions should have a purpose. The more specific to your goal the session is the higher you might prioritise it. In another way, if you had 9 sessions planned for the week and with work, life constraints knew there was a chance you may only be able to get 4 or 5 done. Which ones would you prioritise? Ideally you want to be sharper for key sessions. Maybe you do a track session of 400s every week but next week you are increasing it by one rep or dropping the rest time. Hence a key session.

Quality: Getting the most out of every session you do. Ideally every session should be quality but we all do our share of junk miles where we just 'get through it'. Quality is about listening to your body. If your body is not up for it and you don't listen and push through feeling crap and getting a niggle.. that would be poor on the quality side. Its not just about have a great session and feeling brilliant. Its also about backing off when your body needs to. Its about how much you get out of the session. The sessions of greatest quality are the ones where you learn something about yourself and apply it to improve your training.

It was such a gorgeous day today that I wish I was reporting a nice long brick session. Alas no freedom to do as such and I was lucky to squeexe in a bit of turbo this weekend.

Saturday: 70mins turbo easy at about 215 watts. I had planned 2 hours but my 5yr old son wanted to play chess, priorities! He is improving every week and sprung a nice trap on me to take my bishop and check me :)

Sunday: 70mins turbo with a bit of work. Average 260 watts. 10mins steady warm up then 5 sets of 2mins 240w, 2mins 260w, 2mins 280w, 2mins 300w and 2mins easy before 10 more mins steady cool down. Good session.

Swim session.
    900 warm up with fins mix of f/s and b/s. I can keep my arm over my head and kick fine on my back but as soon as I start to stroke my legs sink. Even on hols I tried floating on my back, my legs sink no matter how relaxed I am :( Also just cannot seem to get the hang of breast stroking. I kill my momentum with every stroke.
    Main set was (400/2*200m/4*100m) all off usual RTs and mostly done at 1:42 pace. Middle lane so I lead a good bit of the session.

Concentration wasn't great this morning.

• Advertisement

Mad weather we are having this week...

Monday pm: 80mins turbo avg 265 watts. Good solid hard work. Old school RnB on MTV which is usually about 100bpm.. perfect and reminded me of my late teens dancing like no one was watching. Actually, come to think of it I still do :) In great form I was.

Tuesday pm: Had sniffles and sneezes all day at work so decided against the howling wind and driving rain on the track. Rowing warm up and 60mins on the treadmill instead. Pretty easy with a little build thrown in. Been a while since I've seen the gym, way too warm in there.

Wednesday am: Swim session
    16*50m warm up easy
    (200m/2*100m)*2 off 3:50 and 1:50, in on 3:35 and 1:42 ish
    (100m/2*200m)*2 same RTs. First 2 sets were comfortable so drove these 2 on. 200s in on 3:20 and 100s in on 1:39.. that stretched thinggs out.
    (100m/2*50m)*2 speed
    Felt pretty good despite being half asleep getting in.

Wednesday pm: 16km easy with some 60-80m strides included. Chilly evening but the mad showers abated. After a tired and sluggish start the strides kicked some life into me. Met Caz out on a run too so we ran together for a couple of miles which made it more enjoyable. Overall though legs were tired. Calf almost seized up on the last stride. Looking forward tio the morning off I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Serious Log................Its something I aspire too............Read your log from the start. Serious reading. I thought I was fit with my running.
    How did you come about to qualify for Euro/worlds and what time would you be hoping to post in september ???
    Bough a bike last year and get out on it irregularly......With the evenings getting brighter i might have a better chance.
    By the way i kept up the press ups.............

Great stuff mcos! especially the pb's in the pool! 16mins....wow.

i am pretty sure that at the moment i have got my stoke pretty good, nice and long and strong and relaxed. The problem is the stroke breaks down in longer swims, even if it is over 500m. any advice? me be thinking that i just have to just stick at it, might put the same question to interested too.

any races soon?

How did you come about to qualify for Euro/worlds and what time would you be hoping to post in september ???
    Bough a bike last year and get out on it irregularly......With the evenings getting brighter i might have a better chance.
    By the way i kept up the press ups.............
    Well done on keeping up the press ups. How many can you do now?
    QF for Euros and Worlds off the National Series last season. Problem now is though that TI sent me emails but no letter. I didn't respond to the no letters and thus lost my places on the AG team. I'm now sitting in the Selection Pool awaiting news of my place being reinstated. I'm not taking chances though and plan to give Joey a lash to QF again. Your own log is savage also dude, serious running going on although I don't know how you can stomach so much treadmill. Keep on truckin..
    i am pretty sure that at the moment i have got my stoke pretty good, nice and long and strong and relaxed. The problem is the stroke breaks down in longer swims, even if it is over 500m. any advice? me be thinking that i just have to just stick at it, might put the same question to interested too.
    any races soon?

Getting your stroke sorted is the most important thing. I'm not really one to be giving advise on swimming though as I only learned how to swim in the last 2 years. Mileage helps a lot. For me I only swim as hard as my stroke will allow. As soon as I lose control, I get tired very quickly and out of breath very quickly. Practice doing sets of work (100s and 200s) off repeat times that are your race pace + 10secs. As your fitness improves you will begin to hold that race pace for longer while keeping your stroke smooth. I think you answered the question yourself though... stick with it! It will come. Yeah interested is the man to ask.

North Tipp Sprint is in 2 weeks. I'm looking for a decent performance after the mediocre duathlon results.

Thursday: Running 14km. Half of it along the riverbank easy and the other half on the track doing a set of 12 400s. I was looking for every excuse not to do this. Sat in my car and fell asleep for 25mins. I was tired and had a hard day at work too. I was nearly hoping it would rain so I could just wuss out and go home. Got the gear on and got on with it. It was actually a lovely evening and as I proceeded down the bank I cheered up considerably. Again, its the water that soothes me. I was feeling more energetic when I got to the track and after a stretch got stuck in to what turned into very solid work. Consistant reps all within target and strong throughout. I finished the session feeling like I could do a couple of more :) Very good session.

Thanks dude. Sorry to hear of the trouble you have had with TI! I actually expected them to not send me my letter so i e mailed them twice about it, thankfully i got it. I am sure beyond any doubt that you will get your place back. Silly in this day and age to have to write a letter back......e mail- isn't that the same thing??

Any way keep it up and good don't worry, it'll work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

hey MCOS, saw your post in the wishlist thread... what happened to the European/World qualification?

Edit: missed your post, nevermind

Friday: Easy 30mins on the turbo just spinning the legs out as I could still feel the track from the day before.

Saturday: In work today so making the most of lunchbreak. Swim session,
    -2,000m straight steady state.
    No watch but it was approx 34 mins which is a big pb for me. I didn't feel like I was swimming great but I definitely had a good rhythm going. Only glanced at the clock once about half way to get an idea of pace. It was around 1:41-42 ish so I just held onto that. A little traffic in the lane to negotiate and I got a full punch in the forehead also from an older heavyset guy :rolleyes: (who later apologised for wandering into the middle, nice man though). At that pace I figured I went through 1,500m in approimately 25:30 ish which is also a big pb and a nice indication that my goal of 25mins is very realistic for this year. Still more in the tank :)
    -4*100m off 1:45 afterwards coming in on 1:30/1:32/1:31/1:30 these were very hard work and I was at max by the last rep.
    -100m easy cool down
    2,500m total

Had to mention Caz also. She only started swimming recently and is so nervous about it particularly since its 2 weeks away from her first Tri which is a 750m pool swim. Well she set about the task today of trying to swim that distance and hey presto, did it and now feels much better about her first Tri. All good!

Terrific swimming there mcos, fair play to you for fitting it in! Good quality session.

• Advertisement

So training update first and its sporadic

Sunday: 2hrs turbo just spinning steady at 100rpm and avg 255 watts. Boring session and I was called for a game of chess again so gladly got off. Unsure whether to let him win or teach him to understand what I'm doing hmmm...

Monday: Missed 2 sessions!! But hey had more important stuff to do.

Tuesday: 5 mile riverbank warm up. Track session with usual warm up, stretches and strides. 5*6mins with 2min recovery. Held 6:00/mile pace for the first 4 and then started easy and built the last one to 6:15 pace. I was working pretty hard on the 4th rep and so backed off a little rather than dying on the 5th. About 12 miles total so calves need some rolling.

Right quick stock of where I am with Goals in mind.

Event Goals
    Due to a combination of TI neglegence and neglegence of my own I lost my places for both Athlone and Budapest. It left me in the selection pool for both. Thankfully I have a slot back for Athlone (Europeans) but Budapest is still in the air. Selection Pool is considered in June but there are 2 last attempts to qualify in May. Joey and Valentia. Top 5 in my AG required. I've entered both. Joey is 4 weeks away.

Pace goals.
    Swimming: I targeted 1:40 per 100m pace by September (assuming I get there now). All swim TTs have been sub 1:40 pace up to 1,000m and I hit 1,500m in about 25:30 at the weekend (1:42 pace). Conclusion: Target is very achievable and I'm well on my way.

Cycling: I targeted sub 60mins for a straight 40km TT on the bike. I haven't been out on the road much and far too much of my bike mileage is on the turbo. Turbo has improved however. Back in January I struggled to hold 300 watts for 20 mins, more recently I held it for 50 mins and had a little juice for a sprint after. On the road just one 60min on the bars lately at 35-36kmh. It wasn't flat out but working pretty hard on a rolly windy day. Conclusion: I have a lot more work to do but the target is still achievable by September. Some interval work on the road and generally more miles in the saddle required. I also need hill work as I lose too much momentum on hills.

Running: The target is sub 37 mins off the bike for 10km. The tallest order. Running form over the winter and into the duathlons has been poor. Yes I was changing stride and foot strike but it was still poor. I adapted slowly to new form perhaps due to not recovering well enough and not stretching and taking care of my calves enough. Bottom line though is the running during base 1 and 2 was not sufficient. Up until recently I would have considered this target to be out of my reach for this season but 2 hopes have crept in. I've been running more as I feel and doing more consistant track work and I feel better about both. Conclusion: I need to do a 10k soon to benchmark where I am. I also need to incorporate a long run and more regular speedwork and more importantly translate the speed into the run off the bike. Hence very specific brick sessions during the summer. This one needs the most work to be realistic by september. Doubtful.

Advertisement