Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

You're lookin good MCOS. Glad to hear you've got your place in Athlone back, the worlds will surely happen too. I entered Valentia so hopefully I will get a place too, if not there is always the selection pool.

For next year I must also set my self some pace goals, this would give me a real focus, something concrete to aim for. This being only my second year I think it is more important to concentrate on technique (running/swimming/cycling); endurance and muscle endurance. But I think it's important for me to know where I am going in the long term too and you seem to have a good template there!

Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thanks El Director. Its my second year too! At the rate you are progressing I'm sure you will be there or thereabouts in those races. 25-29 amd 30-34 are 2 very competitive AGs though :rolleyes:

Wednesday am: Swim session.
    Probably one of the hardest I have done to date. Got into the fast lane and hung on for dear life.
    16*50m easy warm up
    (200m*2/100m*4)*3 got lapped on the very last set so only did 3*100m on that one. 200s off 3:30 and 100s off 1:45. The pace was ferocious and relentless. I was coming in on 1:35-36 splits for the first 2 sets and then slipped closer to 1:40 but I think damn near most of the session done under 1:40 pace. I was heaving by the end. The most I've suffered in a swim but it felt quite rewarding to hang onto the fast guys for that long. They were swimming 1:30 pace so it wasn't exactly hanging on but I worked my ass off for the whole session since I wasn't exactly benefiting from any draft.
    200m easy cool down easing my shoulders back into their sockets!
    3,300m bloody hard session.

Wednesday pm: Run 15km easy enough in Z2 with 6*60m strides thrown in. Nice evening but legs really felt the track from last night. Calves and hamstrings pretty tight and calves needed rolling out afterwards. Apart from the strides I never pressed the pace above easy but the sore legs didn't make it feel easy. Uncomfortable kind of run, a case of getting through it niggle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hey MCOS, i notice you talk frequently about your calves being tight/sore. Is this from your new stride (connecting with front half of foot etc)? If so has the tightness/soreness gotten much better since you started this method? I've been trying it lately myself and im in quite a bit of discomfort within 2km! Looks like it'll take a lot of time to adapt to.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Hey MCOS, i notice you talk frequently about your calves being tight/sore. Is this from your new stride (connecting with front half of foot etc)? If so has the tightness/soreness gotten much better since you started this method? I've been trying it lately myself and im in quite a bit of discomfort within 2km! Looks like it'll take a lot of time to adapt to.

Yes, it coincided with the change in stride pattern and foot fall. At first my calves would just hurt after 20-30 mins. Then I got compression socks and could go for 40-50 mins before they hurt. The problem with getting to the stage of a run wherer they hurt was that they took a long time to recover, particularly if I was doing intervals or anything heavy. A foam roller next helped the recovery after a sore run but I was sure not to run the day after rolling the calves out at first as the roller breaks up the muscle sinue further and thus the calves needed more time to recover, however the recovered better.

It has imporved over the last 2 months. I can now go for 80 mins before the calves start to hurt but I also discovered that in changing from the heel strike I over compensated by landing right on my toes. I've since brought it back to a mid to fore foot strike and its much more comfortable and I recoevr better. Of course on short track reps I am up on the toes again.

Just adapt slowly and look after your calves. Hope this helps.

Thursday pm 1: Club TT league. Off work late so it was a rush out to it and very little warm up. I got stuck in from the start though at posted 23:25 average speed 38.5km/h. The conditions were lovely. The time was good enough for 3rd fastest overall on the night behind 2 Elites (well behind) but I should improve on it with a couple of more attempts. It was a bit shy of my target pace but not too far away either so I was pleased enough for a first attempt. I had no watch or hrm on but I know I could be pushing harder. My flat speed is good and I generally reel people in quickly but my ability on hills is just not good and something I have to work on as I'm losing too much momentum. Decent start.

Thursday pm 2: Swim session. Mostly speed endurance.
    200m warm up
    50m*4 kicking drills
    25m*4 single arm drills
    200m*3 at 905 with last 25m polo drill
    50m*10 with 30sec rest max effort. These were really tough. In on 36-38 secs for them except for one in the middle at 34 secs :eek: and 39 for the last one. It was a caes of GO and GO HARD. Fastest I've ever swam and in a 25m pool a length is shortlived.
    200m cool down, tried back stroke again but I'm just plain useless, even more so with breast stroke.
    1,900m total.

Friday am: Swim session.
    Medium speed lane
    100m*10 easy warm up
    (200m*2/100m*2/50m*2)*3 all off 3:50/1:50 and 60sec respectively
    200m cool down
    3,300m total - shoulders tired but foundt RTs comfortable and had a good swim.

Friday pm: Easy 40 mins on the mtb to spin the legs out with Caz.

• Advertisement

What a beautiful spring day it is out there today.

Saturday: Bike 125km, run 4km
    I opted for the fast group who were out for a long one. And long it was. Average speed for it about 30km/h and average hr 133. I felt awful for the first 40mins and thought that I was being dumb coming out with this lot since it was my first spin of the year and these guys were mostly training for upcoming HIMs and IMs in the summer and have the winter mileage behind them. I stuck with it though and felt ok after an hour. 2 climbs done en route which were a shock to my system. On the first ascent my chain came off so I was immediately at the tail of it and a puncture at the start of the second one over the Glen of Aherlow had me at the tail of that too. On both occasions I had to work really hard just to avoid being last up to the top. These are exactly the miles I really have missed every weekend. At 100km most of the group were motoring back into Limerick but after a few turns at the front my calf started to slowly flare and I was dropped. Met a couple after a bit of disillusioned cycling who were fixing a puncture so at least I had company for the last bit home. Longest cycle I've ever done and I was just happy to get home.

Easy 4km run off the bike which loosened the calf a little. Legs were dead and I had no stride but it wasn't a bad run. About 5min kms. 4.5hrs total.

The North Tipp Sprint 750m/20km/5.3km is this saturday and the plan is to race it and try to get a top 20 in a competitive field. However racing depends entirely on somone looking after my little budding chess master so the current status with that is not good. Liklihood of racing slim. Treating it as a race week nonetheless. The Plassey 10k is on next week which will benchmark the run progress or lack of and Joey is the week after hence I'm not too bothered if I can't do the race. Its Caz's first tri though so its all about her on the day.

I've decided to ditch the early morning swims for the lunchtime masters swims this week in order to get more sleep. Although the lunchtime sessions are short and sharp, I must admit they are quality over quantity.
    As a result of getting 8-9 hours sleep lately, I feel brilliant!! :D

Monday lunchtime: Masters swim session.
    Missed warm up due to traffic.
    100m*4 off 1:45 in on 1:35
    50m*2 recovery
    150m*4 off 2:45 for 2 and 2:30 for 2 in on 2:20
    50m*2 recovery
    100m*4 off 1:45 in on 1:30-1:32
    50m*6 cool down
    1,900m total. Good session, lead the lane out after the first 150 and felt good.

Monday pm: LSR 20.5km 1hr40
    Average pace 7:50/mile, average hr 152. Beautiful evening and loads of people out jogging/walking. Kept it easy in Z2-3 and just focused on staying relaxed. Calves were a bit stiff after the weekend cycle even after taking Sunday off completely. They got a little worse at 75mins but then this is the longest run I've been out on this stride.

Tuesday pm: Track session
    Mtb commute 24km which I really enjoyed
    Track was 5*3mins with 2min recovery after a few laps on grass and stretch/strides.
    Calves were a bit heavy and sluggish on the warm up so I ventured off the grass and onto the track cautiously. Didn't belt into any rep and focused on running as relaxed as I could but maintaining cadence. About 850m per rep averaging around 5:48/mile pace. I felt great and stayed consistant for the 5 reps. Finished the session with something in the tank. Running is starting to feel better. Only results will tell.

Wednesday lunchtime: Masters swim session
    Jumped into the quick lane again towards the end of the warm up, damn traffic. I have to try to get out of the office a tad' sooner if I can. Session consisted of 4 sets of
    50m easy
    100m*2 off 1:40 in on 1:24-1:25
    150m in on about 2:08
    I thought I was reading the clock wrong at first but the pace was much quicker than I'm used to. I felt great and even comfortable at times. I still can't get over those times but then I was in a lane with IMers and former Channel swimmers and those guys n Gals don't hang about. It is a 25m pool though which feels faster than the 50m UL one.
    200m down
    About 2,000m total. Super session!

Wednesday pm: Brick session. 50mins on the bike at a steady Z3 but with an all out 10km TT thrown in at Z5+ which was hard. I let out a couple of roars in the last 2km of it to get more out of my legs. People must have thought I was mad. Even with a 10min steady cool down after the TT effort the legs were still suitably tired for a run. 20mins run off the bike with 10mins at Z4 race pace and 10mins easy. It was a simple brick session but felt like a decent race simulation. Calves were tight getting off the bike but strangely enough loosened out on the run. While running through suburbia a girl amongst a group of hoodies thought it would be funny to stick a leg out to trip me up. Fortunately she was about half my weight and I was running down hill so it didn't have the desired effect but it maddened me enough to confront and scare the lot of them... punks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

While running through suburbia a girl amongst a group of hoodies thought it would be funny to stick a leg out to trip me up. Fortunately she was about half my weight and I was running down hill so it didn't have the desired effect but it maddened me enough to confront and scare the lot of them... punks!

Hmmm ...

taxi-driver.jpg

Thank God for MCOS to wash the trash off the sidewalk.

;) Punks ... the lot of em

LOL thanks interested, couldn't see that pic in work v funny :D

Friday lunchtime: Masters swim session.
    An elite TI development squad junior and competitive swimmer came down with his Da and lead out our lane. Holy jesus. He was taking it easy and coming in on 75 for his 100s. I was almost flat out trying to chase his feet only for him to lift his chest out of the water, tuck, tunmble and shoot out from the wall and cover half the pool before he takes a stroke!
    200m warm up
    (150m/2*50m)*2 off 2:45 and 60 secs. In on 2:09 for the 150s leaving a fair wait for the clock to reach the RT.
    100m*6 off 1:45 in on 85, 83, 83, 89, 88, 88. I went too hard chasing the junior for the first 3. I was getting no benefit of a draft as he was gone and so these were tough 100s. Happy enough to get them all under 90 though :)
    (50m/150m*2) off same RTs as above but I fell back into the group for this set and it was much more comfortable.
    150m extra by mistake because some of us couldn't count (maybe just dizzy from trying not to be lapped by the junior)
    200m cool down.
    2,350m total in 45mins including rests :eek: and he wasn't even breaking a sweat :eek: Very happy that my stroke held up to the onslaught that this session was...

Friday pm: Run 7-8km ish easy with 4*60m strides fast thrown in. Running with Caz who is doing her first Tri in the morning.

Time to put it all to the test tomorrow and see where I really stand after the winter and with Joey looming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

dude have a good one tomorrow

Have a great race MCOS, and hope all goes well for herself too! Serious respect for anybody that has trained and decided to do a tri! Always good to put yourself out of ones comfort zone from time to time and challenge one self, it's easy not to and thats what most do.

And remember to smile on the start line....all the hard work done, racing is the fun part!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

8th on the cycle :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I thought you werent doing any cycling

Well done top 20 secured comfortably

Firstly today wasn't so much about me in my eyes but about a certain courageous sweetheart of mine doing something significant. In no way does Caz lack the physical abilities desired. She is a graceful runner, tough as nails and posesses what you would call a 'natural fitness', albeit one aquired from a lifetime of not choosing the easy options. She took up swimming Just before the new year and that alone was a massive leap into the realm of fear for she has a very good reason why this place, an abyss from her comfort zone, was her new mountain. With typical care and attention to detail she has developed a nice stroke but it has been the mental obstacle that ultimately presented the bag of nerves to the side of the pool this morning reluctantly but self motivated by the desire to to live life.

Her mountain. Today she conquered it. Well inside the cut off time Caz emerged to an honest and deserving applause and the bag of nerves responded with a smile and a leap of joy. Now she could enjoy the rest of her first Triathlon! She left T1 smiling, passed a few, left T2 smiling, passed a couple and crossed the line smiling. Her only competition is with herself and her own fears. Today she won that battle convincingly and I'm once again amazed by her courage.

A fitting start to a beautiful sunny spring day.

It was an opportunity for me to see where I stood. I felt fine and warmed up with one of the lads before a few lengths of the pool. Sorting out who was leading and what order etc was not great and the rapport and agreement shakey really. As it turned out my lane was a mess. I went off 3rd and my own clubmate let me through after a 100. The lead guy was motoring and I was working hard to hold onto his feet. The pace was good but I felt a few taps and let 2 through, another sneaked through too. I was suddenly too comfortable. The Lead guy lapped after another 200 and I figured once he got through I'd follow and push on for the last 350. Long story short he didn't push through and instead breastroked for about 9 lengths, albeit strong breastroking. Meanwhile I was stuck in a jam and emerged in 12:39. Consistant with the pace goals of the year but way off what I've been doing recently.

At the entrance to the leisure center Bambaata popped up in front of me. He had a great race overall but damn, the swim was my only real opportunity to make a headway! Ah well. I had a good transition while he faffed about looking for his sunglasses ;), however upon performing the 'leap of faith' onto the saddle I overshot it and, well got the pointy end of it in the nads which hurt! Ahem, anyway the bike course had changed this year and it proved to be a little tougher and more technical. Some nice drags and headwind everywhere. I was spinning nicely up the hills and holding a guy who usually outclimbs me with ease and with the usual straight line speed I was making up some places. Bambaata passed me after a few km. He was definitely moving and keeping him in range raised my game to reel in a few more. The course was shortened to 19km but a 30:47 return was ok for that. In the last km of the bike and T2 I managed to pass the two leading women, both having stormers but was overtaken again immediately out on the run. One other guy passed me and from there I held my position. The run was disappointing, slower than last year and 5.3km in 22mins is a pace far away from where I want to be. Transitions are fine

Overall 1:07:46 and 18th place officially (one lane did 2 length short which would bump me up to 17th but that doesn't matter). Top 20 was the goal for this one and thats done. The swim will be better than that for Joey I'm sure of it, the bike is going well despite missing the weekend spins, but the running is where I need to focus. The plassey 10km is next week... I'll settle for nothing less than a 30sec pb.

North Tipp sprint 750m/19km/5.3km 18th swim 12:37 (39), Bike 30:47 (8), Run 22:10 (44).

First one done, roll on Joey :)

well done dude. great race and placing, you are bang on for your targets. i can't get over that bike time...very very impressive!

delighted to hear that Caz did so well too, takes serious gusts and will power from deep down, something most don't have.

... and the small matter of cycling 200km on one day in the middle of June. Considering I have the sum total of one long cycle done this year I need to get my act together and get some miles in before my first sportive, only doing it for fun anyway. Joey Hannon is the immediate priority though..

I had intended a recovery cycle yesterday but ended up throwing a bbq and gorged myself instead!

Monday am: 90mins turbo steady at Z2 - Z3, avg 237 watts. Felt strange to be watching a movie at 6am but the subtitled but excellent 'Hero' got me through the early morning boredom.

Monday lunchtime: Masters swim session
    250m warm up
    150m*3 off 2:45 in on 2:20 lead these out
    (100m/50m)*5 off 1:45/60sec in on 1:35/easy dropped back
    150m*3 off 2:45 in on 2:35 fell to the back as legs cramping up and could not kick off the wall at all.
    1,900m total, even though I was clearly tired and had no kick I was still moving quicker than in the Tri last weekend :rolleyes:

Monday pm: 5 miles easy Z2 run. Wasn't great now at all, legs like 2 planks of wood, hence shortened the intended route.

Tuesday am: 60 mins turbo Z3 average 239 watts. Steady session but felt tired an struggled with motivation. Got through it, just. Chain clicking once ever cycle as it passes over the cassette, sounds like a link is out of place or something... muts drop by the shop before any cycle this weekend.

Tuesday pm: Didn't feel like track or doing much but it was a lovely evening so thought it would be a shame to waste it. Decided on a short brick session. 30mins turbo/55mins run.
    Turbo avg 262 watts,
    10mins@ 250w
    10mins@ 260w
    5mins@ 270w
    5mins@ 280w

All in one gear so spinning at 110rpm+ by the end.. that got the legs moving and made sure that they felt heavy for the start of the run

Run 12.2km with 35mins fartlek and 20 mins cool down
    Avg hr 150, avg pace 7:25/mile
    Fartlek reps 1km*4 in 3:49/3:44/3:36/3:44 respectively, 5:00 pace in between. Knees clicking reminding me to take the glucosomine again.

From demotivation to having a good session and feeling good :)

Wednesday am: Swim session
    18*50m warm up easy
    (100m*3/200m*2)*3 off 1:50/2:50 in on 1:36-38/2:22-24
    Found the RTs easy to make and lead the group out for most of the set. It was hard enough work but nowhere near the intensity of the fast lane which will be a once a week venture after Joey. I was sleepy but swimming well - again better than the Tri performance last weekend...
    4*50m all out off 1:45 so lots of rest meant giving these welly. Popped into the quick lane and held my own.
    3,000m total

Wednesday pm: Snooze!
    I had intended a short easy spin on the mtb when I got home from work. However, after lying down on the couch just to forget the office antics... I woke up 2 hours later with the start of a coldsore and sniffles... eurrrgh. I guess the body qwas telling me something. Hence night off for me and a cautios approach to tomorrow.

Thursday pm: Cycling 60km including 15km TT.
    Nice evening but a little windy. Down on the bars for most of the spin. Easy on the way out with a little tail wind. Met the group, a little banter and lash into it 30seconds apart. For the first half of the TT I was motoring and took good lines through a couple of roundabouts and passed a few. After the third and about 8km there is a hill that you just have to attack. I attacked but it took it out of me. I found it difficult to hit a stride back into a light headwind and was passed by one of the elites who looked very smooth. I mustered a bit of fight but it petered out after a few kms. I averaged just 164 on the hrm and felt I had more to give but the legs would not respond. They were not asleep but I didn't have enough juice to build for a finish. There is a nasty little hill right before the finish and a suitable emptier usually. I had to swap to the small ring to get up it. Crossed the line in about 23:29 I think which is 4 seconds slower than last time. Average speed for the TT 38.3km/h. Not too bad considering, I feel I can still imrove on that. 1hr46 and 33.6km/h average for the spin.

Headwind home which, on legs that had just beed pushed hard... sucked!!

That is some speed for the TT Mcos especially considering how the legs were feeling. Your biking is just incredible really, and you don't seem to have done to much. Perhaps this is were the biggest improvement will occur. Heading out now for a similar ride to last Saturdays, a bit longer though, it's also colder and I don't really feel like it but here goes anyway.

• Advertisement

Friday lunchtime: Z3 Run around the quays
    5.2 miles in 37mins, avg hr 153, avg pace 7:14/mile. The legs felt the cycling from the previous night and thus it was more effort than usual. From work, throough the park, around the keys and back through the park to work is actually pretty hilly and much more noticeable without fresh legs. I was also parched (forgot to bring water to morning meetings) and really needed a loo. 10 mins stretching and lunch at desk. I was actually glad to get back to work for a change. Running with clenched butt cheeks aint fun :o

Friday pm: Long Aerobic swim, 4,000m straight steady state.
    I just felt like doing a long swim and trying to keep going for longer than an hour which would represent a new milestone for me. 4k in 73:31. Average pace 1:50/100m and boy was I glad to get a hold of my water bottle after it!
    Km 1 18:16
    Km 2 18:31
    Km 3 18:27
    Km 4 18:17
    I had intended to go easy at about 2min/100 pace but after the 1st km I thought 'oh no, I've gone too hard'. I had visions of struggling through the last km in 25mins or something. I backed off a little but the next km was still under 19. I decided to just go with it. By 3.2km though I was tired. Its a heavy training week and I could feel it. By 3.6km my stroke rate had gone from 36-38 to 44-46 strokes per length. The last few hundred were short and inefficient, however I was pleased overall to finish it. My longest swim to date and considering in Jan 09 my 1km pb was just under 19mins, I can't complain too much about the pace I was holding :D

Saturday am: Cycling 100km including recce of the Joey Hannon course
    I decided to avoid the fast group spin and do my own thing. It was the kind of morning where I didn't know what to wear. I opted for layers and a jacket and by the end of teh spin I was positively melting. Good spin overall as I avoided any drastic hills. I picked up some company on the new Joey route which is a bit tougher than last year and more technical too. Having said that I think its a much nicer course though. The first few km out of UL onto the N7 is quick and then you turn right and head straight out to Cappamore over an undulating, twisty course and into a stiff headwind. There is a drag right after the turnaround point for the sprint distance and there seems to be a little sharp drag immediately preceding every right turn! Its quick on the way back in though with the tail wind. For the majority including me it will be spinning out on the small ring and powering back on the big cog. You do hit that same drag before the sprint turnaround whicg could take the wind out of your sail. About 5km to go also you cross a little brideg that has manholes scattered about it that will bump you off your bars if you are not looking. The last few km of this road back to the N7 is very quick. Overalll the road surface is good and. As usual the last km back through the tech park over the speed ramps is a drag that just sucks the last bit of juice out of your legs before the run. Pleasant cycle overall today. A bit over 3hours.

Sunday pm: 60min Run Z2
    I decided against the 10k race today. Going deep in race mode on tired legs, quads especially, is most certainly counter productive. It would take days to recover from it and with a priority race next weekend that isn't how I want to start a week. Instead I opted for 13km easy Z2 and felt fine. Given the legs were feeling the effort of just walking up stairs today, I know I made the right decision. It has been my biggest training week to date.

15.5 hours total :eek:
    Swimming: 3hrs15
    Cycling: 8hrs5
    Running: 3hrs35
    Core: 50mins
    Best session of the week; Hmm tough one as I had a few. The brick was a good session and the long bike yesterday very enjoyable, however I'm most satisfied with the long swim milestone :D
    Worst session of the week: The monday short run where the body and mind gave out to me.

This week is going to consist of mostly easy sessions and about 50% of the volume. Plenty of core and stretching with the overall objective to start Joey as fresh as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

savage going on the bike MCOS

Monday pm: 90min hilly LSR
    19.3km average pace 7:33/mile, average hr 149. Warm evening, sweaty session. Revisited a hilly route I used to do tempo runs on back in 2008 when I last trained for a Marathon. It made me miss the fact that I haven't done one in ages, however there are a couple pencilled in for next year already. The hills are still tough but I am stronger and so they didn't take as much out of me nor did the heart rate spike too much. I felt awful for the first couple of kms and slowly found a rhythm. Focused on arms propelling me up inclines and lengthened the stride downhill. There was a hint of something sore about my left quad, particularly grinding uphill but it abated later in the run. Pretty happy that the calves survived this run. I'm still adapting to the new foot strike but its getting there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 runningboy

ANY CHANCE YOU COULD GIVE BACK THE HAIR STRAIGHTNER I "LENT" TO YOU BACK AT CHRISTMAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's one serious weeks training MCOS. Fair play. Best of luck with Joey this weekend.

What marathons are you planning for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck in the Joey Hannan tri. Will keep an eye out for you (though it seems to be on the same time as the marathon - Hope we don't meet during our respective events!).

runningboy wrote: »
    ANY CHANCE YOU COULD GIVE BACK THE HAIR STRAIGHTNER I "LENT" TO YOU BACK AT CHRISTMAS?

:confused::rolleyes:
    pgibbo wrote: »
    That's one serious weeks training MCOS. Fair play. Best of luck with Joey this weekend.

What marathons are you planning for next year?
    Thanks Gibbo. As running is my weakest discipline I want to improve it before I attempt to go long. So I reckon Conn Ultra to keep the winter honest and a crack at sub 3 in the Autumn, perhaps Berlin.
    Best of luck in the Joey Hannan tri. Will keep an eye out for you (though it seems to be on the same time as the marathon - Hope we don't meet during our respective events!).

Thanks KC. By the way the after marathon party I gather is on with an ABBA tribute down in Clohessy's. The Tri lot and some runners too I guess will be up in Nancy Blakes which is a good spot and will smell of BBQ food. Bound to be loads of hopping places around Limerick this weekend. If there is a boards gathering I might drop in and say hi...

Hmmm a couple of sessions that show ok numbers but the feeling behind them different...

Tuseday pm: Swim session testing race pace
    The legs were not up to any punishment so I decided to hit the pool for a short session instead. The plan was to do 3*400s at a test race pace.
    4*100m warm up with fins doing various kicking drills
    3*400m off 7mins and in on 6:29/6:37/6:40 respectively
    1,600m total.

I set my swim pace target for the year at 1:40/100m and though I've been a bit quicker than that in TTs it was in the shorter pool. I had been hitting the pace for early morning sets though in the Arena. I figured I'd go off 7mins and try and hit the pace meaning I had to hit 6:40 per rep. The numbers say I did it but I was absolutely wrecked after it and the reps were getting slower too. I had an upset tummy which may have been a contributor but I barely made the time on the 3rd rep and if asked to go again I would have said no. I didn't even do the planned 100m*4 easy cool down with the pool buoy. It felt like the strength had been drained from me. When I thought about it the kicking drills were not good either, I was fading badly after 35m or so. I don't know what was up with my energy but it wasn't a good session. I think a cautious start on Sunday may be in order and build into it if I feel good. I would be over the moon if I can hit close to 25mins. I'm not sure if its a step too far just yet...

Wednesday pm: Brick 65min bike inc some fartlek and 25min run
    The bike sounded like it needs a little TLC. 36km at avg 32.6km/h and 140hr. Session was 8km easy warm up, 20k fartlek (1km on/1km off), 8km easy cool down
    Fartlek rep numbers
    1. 1:57 avg 30.5kmh straight up a hill and into the wind to begin with :rolleyes:
    2. 1:26 avg 41.5kmh avg hr 155
    3. 1:35 avg 37.7kmh avg hr 158
    4. 1:29 avg 40.1kmh avg hr 160
    5. 1:41 avg 35.4kmh avg hr 157
    6. 1:18 avg 45.7kmh avg hr 161
    7. 1:31 avg 39.4kmh avg hr 163
    8. 1:29 avg 40.4kmh avg hr 156
    9. 1:31 avg 39.3kmh avg hr 157
    10. 1:13 avg 48.9kmh avg hr 148

Run 6km building the first 3 in 4:14, 3:49, 3:35 and then easing down for 3. avg hr 152, hitting 175+ on the build ing bit.

Right so those are the numbers, so what do they mean? The bike course was lumpy and it seemed like I hit almost every rep on an incline of some sort :rolleyes: The only bit of tail wind was on the last rep. Overall it was hard work and the heart rate barely hitting 160 doesn't tell how much the legs burned. It was a strange blustery kind of wind blowing me around the hard shoulder. I didn't think 1km reps on a bike would be hard but they were. I couldn't help feeling I was lacking some power again though.

It was a lazy transition and a couple of mins passed before I hit the road again. I found a good stride straight away and I was pleased with the build in pace. Having said that doing 3km in just over 11 and a half mins had me in Z5 but it was starting to hurt. I found even winding down though I was cruising at 7min/mile pace. Perhaps I just need to HTFU and get into that Z5 place and suffer on Sunday.

The Joey bike course as described in an earlier post is good but will keep you honest. I'm thinking a sub 1:10 split on it on Sunday will be a pretty repectable split and that would be working pretty damn hard for it!

Last year I ran 41:30 or so off the bike, I highly doubt I'll be much better than that and at worst I'll be slower. Under 41 mins and I'm pleased, under 40 is the holy grail for the run on Sunday. I plan to pay a visit to that painful Z5 place and hang on for dear life :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck on sunday. Usually im around watching but im helping out with GLR so ill miss it.

Hope it all goes to plan.

Advertisement