Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cheers its easier in a 50m pool. I just go up and down 10 times, look at the bi clock.. repeat *4 times :)

have ye special clocks in Limerick???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

pgibbo wrote: »
    have ye special clocks in Limerick???? :D

LOL ah no man just a big fancy raapid digi one at d Arena... with tackies dangled over it boss like .. yaknowhateyemeeen!

Thursday pm: Run Z2 short
    Lovely evening and I decided to see how the legs felt. Out for a trot on a country route for 12.2km feeling light and bouncy. Average pace was 4:33/km and average heart rate 145. I was tipping along a good bit under the intended easy pace of 5min kms but the hrm was telling me it was comfortable so I maintained. Calves started to tighten up a bit at 10km and though the run itself felt good, the recovery wasn't great suggesting more rest needed. 55mins run and 15 mins stretch afterwards.

Friday am: Swim Session with the group
    50m*18 with fins on doing lots of kicking. I forgot mine and borrowed a pair that were a bit too small. Just glad to not cramp up.
    Main set
    (100m*4)*4 fast off 2:10 for 1st set up to 2:40 for the 4th set. Even the fast lane were off the same RTs. I lead out my lane and pulled away from the group to swim the entire set alone. However with increasing rest the times were supposed to get quicker. I averaged 1:32s for the first 2 sets, 1:34s for the next one and then struggled to hold 1:36s for the last. Hit the showers early as I was wrecked. Found this session very tough but at least I kept all 16 100s all well under 1:40.
    2,500m total

I had intended a medium length slow run after work but a late finish in work again (becoming too regular) and arriving home to find out the oil had been stolen from my tank in the garden, just put me in foul mood :mad: No run done.

Tomorrow morning was supposed to be a long bike session but I have to do a trip up and down to Dublin and then family stuff for the rest of the weekend is looking like it may be a total lapse of training. Likely to lose the lead in the A/R/T challenge too :rolleyes:

Next weekend is more of the same meaning no opportunity for a long bike. However with the Wicklow200 not too far away I have to get bike mileage in somewhere. It looks like some very early mornings may be in order.

Earlier today in work while on a tough call I saw an email come in from TI with 'congratulations' on it.. my heart skipped a beat. Checking the email after the call ended 37 mins later, I realised it was just the announcement about the Irish Team for the European Champs :cool: Not the email I was hoping for, however I'm looking forward to Athlone now. Must create a training plan up to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Got that e mail myself and ya it felt good! It's really happening....was beginning to believe it was only a dream! So looking forward now to getting into the best shape possible! Also looking forward to receiving my trisuit.

Finding the time for trainin while trying to stay on the good side of the better half can certainly be the most difficult challenge of all! It ain't easy and if you are like me you prob beat yourself up over missing sessions. I suppose it is just another part of the journey and another obstacle to overcome.

Really hope you get that e mail that you are waiting for....sooner rather than later!

Saturday pm: Squeezin a quick run in. 12.2km including 6km tempo.
    Found a spare hour due to making good time up and down to Dublin and headed out for the same route as Thursday's run. It is my intention to make this route my tempo run ultimately doing 10km of it at tempo pace. Thats the plan. I decided to try 5km tempo today and extended to 6km in the end. Overall pace for the run was 4:17/km, hrm average 156. The 6km tempo was at average 4:02/km (4:14/4:07/4:01/3:58/4:03/3:49). Legs felt a bit dead. It was a warm day but quite windy. I felt parched too and I'd imagine the dehydration was due to coughing a lot during the night and not drinking enough water on the road all day. Not a great run really but it was at Daniel's training tempo pace so not as bad as it felt maybe.

• Advertisement

Sunday pm: Turbo 2.5hours Z2 steady
    Lovely day out and would rather have done this on the road, alas turbo was better than doing nothing at all and at least I got a longish session done this weekend. Average watts 233. After just under 2 hours I was struggling, more with motivation than sustaining the pace and with the motivation giving out, the last 30 mins were a chore. I was glad to get off it!

That is one savage turbo session shotgun, it inspired me to a longer than normal turbo session today. Your ave watt's are really impressive, that will make a huge difference on the run. Happy training.

That is one savage turbo session shotgun, it inspired me to a longer than normal turbo session today. Your ave watt's are really impressive, that will make a huge difference on the run. Happy training.
    Cheers it wasn't exactly a fun session though and bear in mind it was just a substitute for a long hilly bike around the Silvermines which I must get at least one of done before the W200. Unfortunately my free weekend are limited between now and then. Its going to be turbo again this weekend :(

Whats your next race?

Monday lunchtime: 9km Z3 run around the Quays
    Usually the lunchtime run is easy but it was a bit cold and windy today so I got stuck in just to get warm. The route is hilly enough and couple with the headwind initially the heart rate rose straight into mid Zone 3. Average 163 overall and a decent clip for me of 4:19/km average. I really like this run. Through the park, around the quays and d'Island and a couple of nice hills in the last 1.5km back to work. Getting it done under 40mins leaves more time for a stretch and actually not swallowing my wrap whole at my desk :D

Monday pm: First OW swim of the season
    1,350 mts approx in a clean river with a strong flow from Ardnacrusha. As expected, complete forehead and eyebrow freeze at first but then it was quite pleasant. Not exactly warm enough to bathe in. You had to keep moving to keep warm. Did the Worlds End sprint Tri route and a bit extra. Then practiced a couple of OW melees starts/sprints in a tight group which was a laugh. I basically gave one of the lads a piggy back for 50m! The purpose was to limber up the guys n gals heading to Barcelona next weekend. Hopefully the Volcano will play nice and they can all fly there as scheduled. Its a nice winding stretch of about 4-4.5km that I used to train on a lot as a rower. OW swimming is just imeasurably more enjoyable than laps of the pool. A couple of us threw out the idea of attempting to swim the whole rowing course later in the year! Neck is a little stiff now and the suit is a lot tighter on my shoulders than I remember. It was less about technique and more about staying warm but I did have a think about what my arms were doing. Sighting wasn't bad either but needs practice before Athlone for sure.

Whats your next race?

Next tri is Valentia and really looking forward to it, although the journey will epic!

• Advertisement

Next tri is Valentia and really looking forward to it, although the journey will epic!

Its a fair drive down alright. Last year I drove down the morning of the event with a head cold on board.. not good. I'm hoping to get down the day before this year and get a swim on the course in. I think interested is doing the same. Thing is though, some scumbags stole the oil out of my Tank at the weekend so thats now a higher prioiruty than a B&B.

Tuesday am: Turbo 80mins, Run 20mins
    I thought the snooze button was going to get the better of me. I had a dream about the swim section of some obscure unknown IM. Clearly a result of the cold dip last night and plotting out a draft of an 8 week plan way past bedtime :D Rolled out eventually after 6am. I really really have to get to more sleep.

10mins warm up easy spinning
    Then (2mins 240w, 2mins 260w, 2mins 280w, 2mins 300w, 2mins 220w)*6
    Sets 1, 3, 5 at 90rpm or under, Sets 2, 4 and 6 at 100rpm or over.
    10mins easy cool down

Overall avg 250 watts and 48.4km done. Very tough main set, especially straight out of bed.

20mins super easy jog straight off the bike. Cold clear sunny morning. Lovely for running and cooling down. Legs were whalloped though. The lower cadence sets were definitely tougher than the spinning ones but it was all hard work whatever way you look at it. Legs burning on set 5 of the 280w stint knowing there is s step up to 300 and 1 more complete set to do. I had to change to a dry top for the run!

Look forward to seeing that 8 week/7.5 week draft dude. By the way do you included the km's done on the turbo for the A/R/T challenge?

ElDirector yeah I put turbo kms on the challenge.

Tuesday pm: Long Swim 4,000m straight. Personal Best.
    After improving my time for this last week I decided I'd have a crack off it again before I reign it back to a more aerobic effort swim for a few weeks. 4k PB in 70:04 and a PB for 3k (52:17) en route too :D Average pace 1:45/100m
    Km 1 16:59
    Km 2 17:32
    Km 3 17:46
    Km 4 17:47
    The turbo yesterday morning took it out of me so I wasn't sure how the energy would be. One of the IM lads was swimming in the lane and I got onto his feet for about 10mins before he got out. It was faster than aerobic for me and the first km posted was too quick. I paid for it in the second half of the swim but was determined to hit sub 18 for the last 2kms. Stroke count was mid 40s per length so I was clearly just grinding this out. I was wrecked after it and my shoulders felt like I had just done a heavy weights session. Slept like a baby last night :) Thats it now eye off the clock for a month at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Monday lunchtime: 9km Z3 run around the Quays
    The route is hilly enough and couple with the headwind initially the heart rate rose straight into mid Zone 3. I really like this run. Through the park, around the quays and d'Island and a couple of nice hills in the last 1.5km back to work. Getting it done under 40mins leaves more time for a stretch and actually not swallowing my wrap whole at my desk :D

out of interest where is this route MCOS, Id be interested to know of more hilly routes.....

MarieC wrote: »
    out of interest where is this route MCOS, Id be interested to know of more hilly routes.....

One of the best places to make your route hilly from the City center MarieC is to head out my Thomond Park and passed the country club towards Cratloe. lots of proper hills out there!

My own lunchtime run is from Roxboro to the Shannon bridge via Carey's road, People's Park and Mallow street. Then around the quays via the Treaty Stone and the Island, Aurthurs Quay Park and back up Mallow street and back to work the way I began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

One of the best places to make your route hilly from the City center MarieC is to head out my Thomond Park and passed the country club towards Cratloe. lots of proper hills out there!

I've ran part of that route out through Cratloe and on in the general direction of Bunratty / Ennis. It's a lovely run alright, with nice rolling countryside. Some of them houses are expensive out near Cratloe I'd say by the look of them!!

Wednesday pm: Cycling 70km
    Gear on straight after work and headed down to meet the wednesday group for the first time. Hung around for a bit but no sign so did a couple of loops of the Condell road in case I was early. Stalled on Shannon bridge for a few minutes watching the junior oarsmen go through their paces. I lamented momentarily about rowing and then got back on the bike. 2 hours of slog. The legs were not up for wind and hills. The hills were not too bad but felt worse into a headwind. Didn't have the energy left to make use of the tailwind home. Chain jumping constantly too and skipping over the cassette. A dodgy link needing replacement. Overall average speed 30kmh and average heart rate 128, which decieves how hard my legs worked. Ok for a midweek spin I suppose.

Plan up to Athlone 8 weeks to 'A' Goal.

What works for me is a loose plan, getting the session in but not having it rigidly laid out by day. Life is just too unpredictable for that. Instead the basic plan for each of the first 6 weeks unless racing will include some or all of...
    An OW swim
    A long aerobic swim
    A technique swim or sets of work swim
    A long Bike 2.5-4 hours or 2-3hour turbo if not free
    An 80-90 minute turbo with 20-30min run off it
    A medium length 1-2 hour bike with hills or a decent climb or a TT
    An easy run
    A tempo run or track session
    A longer run/LSR with strides

How the weeks will pan out...
    Week 1.
    Pretty much standard plan as above maybe an extra run
    Week 2.
    Including B Race Valentia Island Sprint Triathlon so will drop the long swim for an additional OW swim if I can. Will also hold back a bit on the turbo and tempo run to be fresh enough for the race. Top 5 in my AG will QF for Budapest and may be my last shot if no places left in the selection pool.
    Long brick the day after the race. Volume up by 1 hour on week 1.
    Week 3
    Standard plan but progress the turbo session and tempo run. Maybe an extra easy bike to bring the volume up 1 hour more from week 2.
    Week 4
    Easy week. Swap additional OW swim for the long swim. Club Track session or track alone 400s at 85% instead of tempo run. Swap easy run for easy bike. Drop overall volume by 3 hours or more and take 1 complete rest day.
    Week 5
    Big week Including C Race Fastnet Schull Sprint Triathlon and the Wicklow 200 Enjoy the race and sportive, no pressure on those. Overall volume higher than week 3. Full plan progressing the turbo and tempo run again + the 2 events.
    Week 6
    Drop to 75% peak volume. Monday complete rest day. Long bike back to 2.5 hours. Progress the turbo and do track 400s at 85% instead of tempo run. Extra OW instead of long pool siwm of possible.
    Week 7
    Drop to 50% peak volume. Taper both bike and run sessions. An active recovery day and a complete rest day.
    Week 8
    A Race Athlone European AG Triathlon Championships Go for it!. Drop to 25% peak volume and get into race mode. Taper. Sleep loads.

How Turbo seassions will aim to progress.
    - Yesterdays turbo session. Add another set or increase the watts, beyond Athlone I want to progress this to 8 sets of 280, 300, 320, 340, 220:eek:
    - Interval session 4mins 300w*6 with 6min spinning progress to 7min reps 3min spinning and then 8min reps and 2 mins spinning. Beyond Athlone I want to progress this to an hour straight at 300watts or better:eek:

How Tempo run/ Track will aim to progress
    -Tempo Run (only 1 done) is currently 6km at 4min/km pace, next step 8km at 4min pace then 10km at 4min pace. Beyond Athlone I want to progress this to 10km at sub 3:50/km pace
    -Tempo reps (only 1 done) are 5*1km at 3:45/km pace. I'd like to progress these to 6 reps at 3:32/km pace
    -Track will be the Club track session or if alone 12*400s in 85secs 1 min rest. I plan to keep these consistant. If the tempo run pace improves I may aim for 78-80sec per rep or increase reps.

Overall the pattern to Athlone will be 3 weeks build, I week easy, big week then taper 75%, 50%, 25% and RACE!!

I'm not going to stress about not getting session done and ultimately I'll listen to my body. If it requires holding back or more rest then I'll take it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

ElDirector yeah I put turbo kms on the challenge.

Turbo kms should count double!

Good work on the swim PB by the way.

Damn I haven't been counting those km's at all!!! Must have done 400k on the turbo since Jan, too late now anyway!

Nice plan there shotgun. I think I will adapt some parts of yours too if you don't mind, partically the upping the volume then decreasing it 3 weeks before. My plan is an outline and of course is subject to change....right now I have a cold for instance so I have to listen to my body now.

• Advertisement

No worries El D work away. And sure throw up the turbo kms anyway.

Thursday lunchtime: 9km Z2 easy run around the quays
    No watch on and really enjoyed this run. Kept the pace in check. It was cool but windy and humid so still sweaty. Things I observed en route to make the run fly by...
    A proud elderly local woman polishing a plaque in the park...
    Many pensive elderly men alone and pensive along clancy strand...
    The Shannon tide fully out and all kinds of birds on the rocks...
    Being beeped and encouragement hollered from cars... good people...
    A young man balling his eyes out in the Park... a moment of sorrow..
    The Gardai on Nicholas St ready to pounce on a group of young hoodies about to pounce on a car outside a shop with the ignition left on...
    A look of disgust from a woman as I spat on the pavement.. in my defense I had just swallowed a fly... never got the bugger out either...
    Pairs of shoppers freezing still until the runner had passed...
    A very old, haggered but jovial man lighting a rollie and blessing me with a smile as I panted up a hill... a moment of joy
    The drizzle soaking my top as I approached the 6th pedestrian crossing of the route...

Thursday pm: 12km run including 7km tempo.
    It wasn't very friendly running conditions. Cool, windy and drizzly. Work was mental all day also and I confess having an abismal diet today. All crap, junk... Hence I really didn't know about the tempo. Overall pace for the run was 4:12/km and avg hr was in the 160s. The tempo bit was a progression on last week (6km at 4:02/pace) doing 7km at 3:56/km pace with the heart rate hitting the 180s by the end of it. Splits 3:59/3:54/3:52/3:56/3:54/3:58/4:01. Overall I'm pleased with the progression but I had to work my cotton socks off for it so the next step is bound to be hell. Had to troll the calves out. The first week of the plan is going very well though and getting the last 2 session in the next 2 days means I can take Sunday off. Can't wait.

Friday am: Swim Session - Kicking and Sets
    Its been a while since I dragged myself out of the sack for a morning swim session.
    50m*12 kicking with fins on front and back
    200m*6 off 3:50 and in on 3:25, only 100 of the last one as we were lapped
    100m*6 anaerobic off 3mins in on 1:26 - 1:28
    200m cool down trying once again to breast stroke and backstroke, I suck so badly at these its not even funny anymore
    2,500m Total.

I could feel the tempo run in the kicking warm up this morning.
    In the 200s I went off initially with the fast guys in the fast lane but after just 1 rep I was burning waay too much energy trying to keep up so lead the pack for the rest.
    The 100s were just torture. Like 'swimming in mud' was a comment from one of the lads. The last 20m of the last 3 reps just felt more like drowning than any kind of swimming :cool:

Friday pm: Turbo 60mins Z1 recovery
    Easy session heart rate barely touched 115. Felt good after it. Avg watts 201 max 753 ( just did a little sprint for 20secs to finish).

So as for getting the ducks in a line. Training is going well, week 1 almost down and to plan. Sleep is something I need more of, however my diet has been woeful these last few weeks. I still eat good fresh food but waay too many chocolate bars, scones, fried food and did I mention chocolate bars? For instance I ate 3 crunchies with a hot chocolate earlier! If I start cutting it out I might just shed a few lbs too. I'd love to get down to 75-76kg. Hovering at 78-79kg at the moment.

Saturday am: Turbo 3 hours Z2 steady
    Average watts 228, 100km covered, 2kg lost, last 40 mins mental hell. Not fun at all... Best part of the session was ending it and getting off! Motivation to do this ever again = Zero

Monday lunchtime; 9.6Km Z3+ run around the quays
    I didn't get out of bed this morning for the planned run so straight out the door of work today at the strike of the lunchtime hour. I immediately felt a spring in my step after the rest day yesterday and the extra hour in bed this morning. 40:50 total , average pace 4:15/km, average heart rate 159 which is actually the bottom of Z4 rather than Z3. I extended the route slightly and must add another lap of the park I think to round it to 10km. Warm and humid out, like the sky is deciding between sending down a drizzle or parting the clouds for some warm rays. I'd take these conditions happily in Valentia at the weekend. Running at lunch feels like I'm being set free from madness for an hour, hence I'm enjoying this route a lot :)

So how was week 1?
    13.5 hrs total
    3hrs swimming
    7hrs10 cycling
    2hrs40 running
    0hrs40 stretching/core

Overall very pleased with the week. I managed to get all of the planned sessions in by Saturday so I could take Sunday off. Good balance in the sessions was the main reason for getting them all done. I was an hour over the planned volume as the wednesday cycle ran on a bit, however it was more to do with stretching more regularly than that so all good.

Best session of the week: While I was pleased to progress the tempo run and get a swim PB in the pool, the most enjoyable session was getting into the OW for the first time and having some fun with it :)

Worst session of the week: Easily the Turbo slog at the weekend. Normally I like the turbo but this session had me wanting to throw in the towel :(

That's some weeks training Shotgun, glad it went so well. That 3 hour turbo is stuff of legend really! You will be right up there in valentia all going well, another chance for Budapest. I will have to wait now till Athy or the selection pool, the pool was always going to b my best chance anyway. Goodluck with this weeks training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Duno how u managed 3 hrs at a steady pace on the turbo, fair play. Generally i need to be changing cadence, speed, HR etc every now and then to keep me sane, gives something to focus on.

Bambaata I think if I ever attempt a 3hr turbo again I'll have to have a game plan for it for sure!

Monday pm: OW swim 1,600m
    Back out to my old rowing training waters of Worlds End in Castleconnell for a dip with the wetsuit on. Head freeze for only a couple of mins and then the water actually felt lovely. Up a degree or two already from last week I think. Up stream on the way out so it is harder work than the return to the pier but I loved it. The suit felt very tight around my shoulders and chest though and I'm wondering if I have regained some upper body bulk from all the swimming over the winter? The water was very calm and it was peaceful with just 3 of us swimming. I found a very nice rhythm after 15mins or so and the pace I was working hard for suddenly became cruising pace. Very happy with my sighting and lines in general too. A mate and I talked about swimming the length of the course from O'Briens bridge in a few weeks we were enjoying it so much, now that would be a good long OW swim :)

Tuesday am: Pool aerobic swim session
    Down on my own this morning and just did 2,700m easy with a few quick 100s dotted in to stay interested. Did a good few tumble turns too which are getting a bit better. Shoulders were tired but a stroke count check was 37 for 50m so still had some length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

The suit felt very tight around my shoulders and chest though and I'm wondering if I have regained some upper body bulk from all the swimming over the winter?

All obvious jokes aside this is a pretty common complaint that might be explained easily - in your case I suspect c) below may be the cause but the others are worth considering too

a) ensure the suits on right ... as in pull the whole thing up - especially around the hips / groin to ensure if there is any slack to be had its at the top of the suit, at the neck and shoulders ... since thats where you'll need it most to ensure you can stretch, pull and keep the stroke nice and long ;) whilst enjoying the calm waters of the river
    b) Since all training and distances to date have been done in a pool without a wetsuit ... your shoulder muscles (triceps as well) suffer a little bit more fatigue when swimming with a suit over the 1600m you swam ... for example - if you regularly swim 2km+ in the pool in a session and dont feel too much shoulder ache after it ... and then swim 2k in open water you might feel it more .. since the warmth the suit can come at a price of slightly** restricting your arms when pulling.
    c) shoulders and upper body have more muscle after the hard work during the winter

** not all suits are equal. The majority of the suits Ive seen at races on people are providing durability/buoyancy and insulation ... to provide these qualities they arent always the most flexible. There are wetsuits that cater for those that dont necessarily need assistance with buoyancy or insulation and dont mind that they get one season out of a suit since typically they're the guys getting free suits from sponsors anyhow ;) if you know what I mean.

Anyhow ... I generally put my suits in the bath for a day or so soaking after they come out from winter hibernation to effectively re-hydrate them ... before feeding them O.J, reading to them my race plans for the year and turning on some ACDC to ensure they're prepped for the season ...

• Advertisement

Thanks interested, informative as usual. I'll make sure the suit is pulled up alright at the weekend. I'm also LMAO at the last bit :D My suit is slung in the back of the car so maybe a bit of that TLC will make it be nice to me, at the very least give it a pep talk about the pending mosh pit* on Saturday morning!

*you would be too far in front to know about this fun :)

Advertisement