Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

*you would be too far in front to know about this fun :)

Ive read about this alright ;) Athy was interesting for everyone last year - the river is so narrow and the wave sizes fairly large. This year promises to be different for those participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wednesday pm: Turbo 60mins incl 3*4mins Z4-5
    Training not going exactly to plan this week due to Life stuff, but we all have to do what we have to do. I was a bit fried after work but having missed a session already this week I figured a workout would pick me up (after a quick nap!). I scaled back the original session plan of 6*4mins at 300w and a short run off the bike to 3*4mins at 330watts and no run. Overall 38km and 262 avg watts. The reps were tough and only doing 3 with a touch more intensity served its purpose to open the legs up but not leave me wrecked. It actually felt like a short but good session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Enjoy Valentia MCOS

Thursday pm: 8km easy run with strides
    If only this warm weather would stay! Even running late in the evening was decidedly sweaty. Again late out of work and missed the intended session. Enjoyed this short jog though and threw in 3*60m and 3*80m strides.

Valentia Island Sprint tomorrow and polar opposite conditions from last year :D I didn't get a Budapest slot out of Joey so these places are clearly not just hard earned but coveted. Valentia is the last QF race so the aim is simple. Top 5 in my AG. For that I suspect I'll have to be in the top 20, which will probably require a sprint pb for me :( Failing that I'm at the mercy of the Selection Pool in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the very best for Valentia dude. I'll be wishing you on all the way. Fingers crossed for a Budapest qualification for you. Dig deep, dig feckin deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Dude the very best of luck this weekend! You are in great shape, be confident and you will do it. It's a sprint so all out aggression.

By the way TriAthy is the last race according to the TI website for qualification....I am hanging my hopes on that race now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Thanks interested, informative as usual. I'll make sure the suit is pulled up alright at the weekend. I'm also LMAO at the last bit :D My suit is slung in the back of the car so maybe a bit of that TLC will make it be nice to me, at the very least give it a pep talk about the pending mosh pit* on Saturday morning!

Best of luck in Valentia. Give it socks ;).
    Got the following from a Swim Smooth newsletter which again highlights the importance of getting the suit pulled up as much as possible. Don't forget to swim straight too :).

"TIPS TO SWIM FASTER AND STRAIGHTER IN OPEN WATER
    1) Learn To Put Your Wetsuit On Properly
    Sounds simple but most swimmers don't put on their wetsuit properly. Watch this demonstration video http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon_adv.html#wetsuit of how to do it by shoe-horning plenty of material up the limbs towards the body and shoulders. This dramatically reduces the restriction around the shoulders, costing you less effort and freeing up your stroke.
    2) Overcome Anxiety
    Anxiety in open water is normally caused by external factors in the watery environment around you - depth, cold, not being able to see far (if at all!) and having other swimmers in close proximity to you. All of these factors lead to the same physical response - holding your breath.
    Holding your breath immediately increases the anxiety further, things start to feel out of control and you may even feel a sense of panic. For many triathletes, their race is off to a very bad start, or even finishes there and then.
    Focus on internal factors that you can control, the most important of which is remembering to exhale into the water. Check this throughout your next open water race, particularly if you're feeling anxious or panicky out there.
    3) Swim Straight
    To swim straight you need a symmetrical stroke and the natural way to become symmetrical is with bilateral breathing in training. Quite possibly this is not what you wanted to hear if you struggle to breathe bilaterally!
    The straighter you can swim naturally, the less you will veer off course and the less often you will have to sight. That's good because every time you sight it requires an increase in effort and a loss of efficiency.
    Learn how to conquer bilateral breathing here: http://www.swimsmooth.com/bilateral.html
    4) Master The Art Of Sighting
    You may think that sighting is as simple as lifting your head to look forward and see where you are going but it needs a great deal of skill to do it well. The world's best triathletes and open water swimmers can sight without disrupting the rhythm of their stroke or their body position in the water, and this is key.

Here's the correct technique: time your sighting to happen just before you're going to take a breath. Lift your eyes out of the water by pressing down lightly on the water with your lead arm (in this example your right arm). Only lift up enough to get your eyes just out of the water. Your left arm will have now started recovering over the water, as it does so, turn your head to the right with your body to breathe. As you do so, let your head drop down in the water to a normal breathing position. See a video clip of Ceinwen Williams using this technique to great effect here http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon_adv.html#ceinwen .
    You can of course master this technique in the pool. Make it more race-realistic by practising in your quality swim sets when your heart rate and effort levels are high!
    5) Draft Better
    Drafting is swimming directly behind, or to the side and slightly behind, another swimmer. Studies show this saves 18 to 25% of the energy expenditure of swimming. In a race it makes perfect sense to capitalise on this source of free speed."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Good luck tomorrow and hopefully you get the Budapest spot back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

+1 one on that, have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

good luck dude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

best of luck today. hope you get the budapest spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Great stuff yesterday. How does that leave the Budapest spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Heh fair play there buck, great result yesterday. If you could take another min or so off that run time you'd be unstoppable

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

how did it go MCOS?? Good Im presuming on previous posts here but where are the gorey details? :p

Saturday am: Valentia Island Sprint Triathlon

The conditions on Saturday could not have been more different from last year. The freezing cold, rain and hail replaced with glorious warm sunshine. A stiff blustery wind whirled across the Island still though.

Pre-Race. Come on now, a false start?!
    I felt relaxed and ready to go and as usual mingled with the friendly faces in transition. Having done a swim course recce with interested the previous afternoon, he greeted me with encouragement. Cool guy. His lovely OH was also putting on her wetsuit for the short Atlantic trip. He even offered to lead me out of the swim for some clear water which was nice. He later emerged out of the water with Amy Wolfe who was the first to reach the Island! As if I had any chance! With an increased 500+ competitors being ferried across to the mainland amidst a dozen bagpipes and an RTE TV crew, spirits were high and the atmosphere buzzing. Treading water with hundreds of other blue hats the horn went off and we tore into it, only to be blocked by a canoe and sent back. The lead guys were out to sea by the time they realised that some fool had decided to use the horn to get everyone’s attention :confused: Seriously!

Swim.
    As we were shuffled back into place, I positioned myself between a couple of swimmers I knew but had no business being beside, however my plan was to swim hard to start and try to get clear of the pack. The horn went off again and that I did. I stayed on some feet initially and was amazed that after 150m I was still just behind the quick swimmers. I settled into a calmer pace but somehow drifted left. The middle few hundred meters were choppy and I weaved a little over the waves. This was perhaps due to having my goggles knocked off my face. I stopped briefly to put them back on but they were full of drops and so my sighting wasn’t the best. Still I had a pretty solid swim and emerged onto the slipway in the top 20-25. Sweet! It was my best swim ever in a tri and well inside pace targets for this year. I had always avoided the front and going out too hard but improved swim fitness has definitely given me more confidence to race the swim rather than just survive it.

T1
    Transition was a longish jog but plenty of time to peel the top half of the wetsuit off. A mate of mine had racked next to me and positioned his bright blue aero helmet on top of his saddle making my bike easy to spot! Transition was efficient (I didn’t fall over taking the wetsuit off). The leap of faith also worked a treat after the absolute disaster I had in Joey. Feet slid in and I was away, passing 2 who had chosen the ‘put your feet on the shoes’ mounting option. Getting this right really helps to get a quick momentum up.

The Cycle
    The first 3-4km is all uphill and a gradual climb to 150m or so at that. Climbing is my Achilles heel on the bike and I was duly passed 4-5 times. I maintained a steady cadence and resisted the temptation to toast myself chasing up a hill. I knew the course from a recce the previous evening and knew the middle part (technical, rolling) would be my playground. At least the trees, which almost formed a tunnel over the road, sheltered the climb from the wind. The course is cool, technical with great scenery. After a 150m section at the top where you have to get out of the saddle and lever the bike beneath you, I got motoring and passed everyone who had out-climbed me. We were onto a more exposed elevated part of the island now and the wind made staying down on the bars while hurtling downhill, a hair-raising if not thrilling ride! I learned something on the bike. Accelerating aggressively into a hill and downshifting enough gears to maintain cadence had the effect of sustaining a momentum. Taking the right lines around tight bends was also crucial in sustaining momentum. I had a good day with both. On the last 5km the wind blows across you from right to left. I passed the leading lady on this stretch and the field had since thinned out. I spotted another bike about 200m ahead but was gaining only inches. I kept the lid on it and stayed comfortable making sure to drink plenty of water as running on hot days was my enemy. I had a good bike, really enjoyed it and getting back to T2 in 7th position was a good return for it.

T2. Easy, rack bike, helmet off, shoes on... Go!

Run. It was hot.
    Emerging from transition I realised this was the further up the field I’d been in a Tri although I knew it would be short lived as the runners would soon get going. It was good to have some of the lead guys within sight, albeit very far up the road! The run was straight up the hill we cycled earlier for 2.5km, turn around and 2.5km back down. Straight away by left calf cramped. Damn! I had to stop after a few ginger steps to stretch it out quickly before I got going again. It threatened me but I kept the pace steady (slow L ) on the way out. I lost 5 places on the way up including a guy in GAA shorts and a luminous T shirt. I figured he was a relay runner and he was the only guy smiling. The lead lady, Amy Wolfe also passed me gradually. 11.35 for the 2.5km up the hill is just pants. I’m definitely getting some hill running into my programme immediately. After the turnaround I was alarmed at the number of people who looked capable of running me down. After the first km of the return downhill I was passed 3 more times, the 3rd of which was Elena Maslova chasing Amy hard. Normally I just let these people disappear off down the road without a fight but something went off inside my head that it was enough with this mediocre running. I lifted my head and my pace and started to hold my ground with a km to go. With 500m to go I lifted the pace again going by Elena and catching another guy who had passed me, before the line. I think I was about 55-60th in on the run (yikes) but lost 6 places overall which wasn’t too much damage for a poor 20:34 :o Significantly for me I finished strong and passing people and this has injected a bit of confidence in me that I have a kick, yippee :D! Next time I’ll latch on to someone sooner and have some faith.

Overall I finished 13th (1 relay ahead also) in 1:05:10, which was both a sprint pb and 10 places better than last year in a much bigger field. However it was still only good enough for 6th in my AG. Just to show how competitive the 30-34 category is, 4 of the top 6 were 30-34 including the winner, Kevin Keane (Bryan's big bro). I know 2 of the lads though and I’m sure they have their places for Budapest already. This leaves me quite sure I will get a slot but I won’t believe it until I see it written down. The race went well and I got about as much out of myself as I could on the day :) There was a bit of fuss in the hotel afterwards with some guy from TV handing out the prizes with a crew buzzing around him. I took little notice as I was absolutely ravenous. Nice event and I’d recommend to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Well done MCOS, great work there. Thanks for posting in time for my lunch - a lovely lunchtime read! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

very nice going mcos, fingers crossed for you on Budapest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

well done MCOS - delighted for you if it means you qualified

I passed you on the way out at the 1km mark on the run and you were serioulsy motoring at that stage (4km back) - thought to myself I might try to finish stronge myself - once I got to the turn around point I was happy enough just to roll down the hill home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great race report MCOS and I'm delighted it looks like you're Budapest bound-thats the funny thing about Boards, we've never met but its like a club mate has qualified. It certainly looked tough at the front from my vantage point some 150 places behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

Man that is something else!

I can only dream at the moment about having such a good swim. It really gives you a chance especially when you are as potent on the bike as you! I think I "just survive" it and try and make it up after. And 20:23 for the run, half of which was up hill....well thats a terrific time! Fingers crossed on your Budapest place, well done dude and great report too!

• Advertisement

Sunday pm: Recovery Cycle 50km
    Beautiful day out. 2 hours+ easy on the mountain bike with Caz on her roadie, out to the lake and back with a break on the grass to chill, and another for ice cream.. you get the picture. Enjoyable way to get some bike time :)

Monday pm: OW swimming about 3km
    Man the water was lovely. Soo different to 2 weeks ago. Did a lap with a few others waiting for the posse to arrive, then 2 more with some practice starts and general banter while lying on our backs. My stroke felt nice and long for the first half hour. Focused on a long accelerated pull and push and staying on faster feet. Then the shoulders started to feel weary and it all became harder work. Still beats the pool any day of the week.

I had my runnning gear on the floor to go out this morning for a recvovery jog - didn't wake up.

I transferred my gear to a bag and had it under my desk at work for a lunchtime jog - didn't get a chance

I put the bag in the boot of the car to go for a jog after the swim - was too hungry and wrecked and went home for food instead.

I guess I wasn't meant to run today eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great race and great report. Congrats on the PB and hopefully you get your Budapest slot back. Go team Boards!

Re the run yesterday - what's meant to be won't pass you by! Wasn't meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great report MCOS and an even better performance. Well done on a savage swim and bike. Looks like your run is definitely just a confidence thing and it sounds like you turned the corner there on Saturday in the 2nd half of the run. Well done. Fingers crossed for Budapest too. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Stonking Result! Roll on Budapest...:)

Checked the results of Valentia last night. Fair play for TFBubendorfer getting through his first Tri and coming stoing through the field. My run rank stands out like a sore thumb!
    Swim (25) Cycle (10) Run (58)!!
    My runners are also dead (not an excuse by the way :)) and I need to get new ones but since I also had an incident with the car at the weekend they will have to wait.

Tuesday lunchtime: Recovery jog around the quays.
    10.5km easy with no watch. The Peoples park was x-rated in the sunshine! A bit laboured but an enjoyable run on a warm day with a cool breeze.

Wednesday am: Swim session with the group.
    50*18 warm up with fins - various
    800m fast in 13:10
    (200m/2*100m)*3 steady 200 and neg split 100s
    50m*4 max off 1:20
    100m super easy cool down
    3,200m total.

I was very tired this morning (need more sleep - whats new there) and almost needed a chair in the shower after this session. Could only manage 4 50s at the end and I died half way through the 800 allowing the pack to catch up again. Not a great session I should have just tucked into the middle rather than lead.

Wednesday pm: Cycling 80km curiosity killed the cat
    Eventful cycle. Missed the group again so figured about 90mins easy would do. I was barely 4km down and the chain snapped. Crack! Luckliy it happened close to the bike shop. After retrieving the chain from the middle of the road (not easy in cleats) the LBS sorted it. Off I went again for some hilly cycling. I decided to save the big climb for the weekend though. After an hour I passed a large group of cyclists all dolled up in club gear and ready to race. A few minutes later I pulled in as they stormed passed me. The pace was absolutely lifting so it was clearly a race of some sort. I did a few more km of hills and turned to head home. I was in Sixmilebridge at this stage. On the way back the race now in 2 groups and a smaller chase group flew past on the other side of the road. They were obviously on a loop. I wandered across and asked the Marshall what it was. He said it was a 3 lap training race and each lap was 12km. He suggested I dive into the race with a grin. I figured I'd suss out the loop anyway. The peloton was long gone so I set myself a target of finishing a lap before they caught me on their 3rd. So I upped the pace to tempo passing a couple who had been dropped. After a few km a guy passed me and he looked very strong, too strong to have been dropped. I put the boot down and pulled up along side and asked if he was racing. He replied that he had missed the start and was now chasing. I fell in behind. His cadence was furious and he was eating road. I was in too high a gear so down shifted and matched his cadence. It was hard work to even draft him. After about 30secs I came through and so we worked together changing every minute. We caught and passed the small chasing group before the end of the lap and I bid farewell as he tore off on the final lap. So that was my first unexpected taste of bike racing and boy those guys don't hang about!! I took in a couple of more drags and turned to come home on the main road. My legs really felt that hard 12km lap, but at 60km I was in trouble. I was suddenly starving and my legs lost all power. Thankfully I came across a pub a few minutes later and got stopped to get some chocolate and a coke. After emptying the content of my jersey pockets onto the bar stool I realised I had lost my change. Crap. It was 10km back to Limerick and I had bonked guddo. I was even shaky. Leaving the pub a woman called me back paid for and handed me the choclate bar. I was very grateful but it perked me up enough to get home. Avg heart rate 130, average speed 30.8kmh. I had gone straight out after work and despite a sandwich at about 4pm I hadn't eaten since lunchtime. Lesson learned, always have some food with me even on shorter cycles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nasty alright when the bonk hits. This happened me last year and since then I always carry a gel and bar as minimum on any cycle I do.

When will you know about Budapest?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nasty alright when the bonk hits. This happened me last year and since then I always carry a gel and bar as minimum on any cycle I do.

When will you know about Budapest?

I usually have a cereal bar in the pocket at least but it was a case of having no shopping done yet and that unexpected bike race lap. It was a slot for the Standard Distance race in Budapest that I lost and according to TI the Selection pool first offers go out next week. If I don't get an offer next week, I'll send an application in for the Sprint Race and see if my Valentia Is result is good enough for that in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

bonked myself before after my first 90ker, once you do it once you ll never let it happen again. sounds like you were like me, wondering how you d actually get home.

sounds like you'd a good time before that anyway

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    bonked myself before after my first 90ker, once you do it once you ll never let it happen again. sounds like you were like me, wondering how you d actually get home.

sounds like you'd a good time before that anyway

Yeah man it was weird. Bang. It just went. One minute tipping along nicely and a sudden drop. I literally went from 40kmh+ to 23kmh and had to get out of the saddle for a drag I'd normally power over. I was on the Dual Carriageway with about 20km to my house but I was beginning to wonder how I'd get there. Lesson learned for sure!

Advertisement