Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budapest, Hungary Sept 8-12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thursday pm: Tempo Turbo
    Warm up 10mins at 200w easy
    Main session (2min 260w, 2min 280w, 2min 300w, 2min 320w, 2min 220w)*6 avg 279w 40.2kmh
    Cool down 10mins at 200w easy

Stepped this up a notch from the last time I did it. Its a brute of a session, I was gritting my teeth on the second last set and just hanging on with the last. 260w was at low cadence 80ish then stayed on same gear up to 300w just increasing cadence each time. 320w was a click up and push the burning quads. I won't be progressing this agin for a while! Very tough session.

For 4 mornings this week I've slept through the alarm. Generally feeling shattered then when I wake up. Heavy week at work also with plenty of other stuff going on.

Confession.
    Diet discipline has gone right out the window. Average 2 choc bars and 2 scones per day and wolfing back bowls of cornflakes late at night. Not sleeping before 12:30/1am.

Missing another session this morning (swim) I found myself wanting to play catchup and squeezing something into a planned night off. The body is telling me something this week though, 3rd week of building. Only 7.5 of 14 planned hours done :( Next week is an easy week so I have to make the most of the weekend. If I can get a long bike and a long run done I'll be happy. I'm also in need of a good long core and stretching session.

I'm only posting this as this log is something that keeps me accountable! :rolleyes:

Minor changes next week.
    -no late night eating
    -one scone at a time
    -rice cakes or pitta instead of bread
    -go to bed before 11, more sleep
    -fruit at desk, apples instead of vending machine etc..

It will be an easy week training wise so the idea is to be as fresh as possible for the following big week, Then its taper for Athlone.

Saturday 29/05/2010 am: LSR 27km
    First proper long run of the year and longest since DCM 09. 27km out early around the coutryside with a few nice hills en route. Avg hr 147 and avg pace 4:38/km. The first half hour felt wretched at a slow 5min kms but then found a stride, brought the cadence up a notch and kept it comfortable. Legs felt it at 20km naturally since its been ages and was quite ragged for a finish. Calves sore but foot strike held up. Still though if it were the start of a marathon programme it would be encouraging :D

Sunday 30/05/2010: Cycling group ride 77km.
    I wanted to get a long bike ride in this weekend as the W200 is coming up but with just 2.5 hours to play with today I figured practice riding in a large bunch was most appropriate. Avg hr 131, avg spped 31.2kmh. The route was lovely around Killaloe and Broadford on a mild dry morning. Hilly but not severe, it did include one small climb of 3.5km at 4% or so which was a bit of work. 15km from home the boot went down and 5 of us belted off working hard. The group was missing a lot of the fast boys so I ended up alone for the last few kms home. Pretty enjoyable spin in comparison to the midweek bonk. I haven't enough prep done for Wicklow in that bugger all 100km+ rides and bugger all climbing practice done but from what I'm told its a leisurely day stopping for food etc.. so hoping fitness will get me through it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great training as usual MC. I'm sure we could all identify with some aspects of your 'Feeling it' post above. Sleep and not getting to bed early enough is my downfall at the mo., and eating lots of crap. and.. and...

• Advertisement

Its on again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good to hear I was hoping the log name wouldnt have to be changed to something like Brian Boru - August 11th

Good stuff, delighted for you. Well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

AWESOME. Congrats :cool:

Thanks Guys. Focus back on now. Going to really try to hit those pace goals I mentioned at the start of the log. The running one is a bit far fetched but that will be the main focus between Athlone and the big one.

Monday 31/05/2010 pm: OW swim 3,200m.
    Drizzly night but the water was lovely and calm. Not much hanging about as it was a bit colder out. Pretty much straight aerobic swimming. After 2.2k my shoulders were feeling it and I had been working hard. I was about to call it there but someone suggested a couple of hundred meters to cool down. A full km later and I was feeling great. I worked for 200m to catch some feet who had taken off 30m before me. Stuck with and passed which suprised me as I was using far less energy than the previous 40 mins. I was very relaxed and for the last 500m stuck to the feet of someone faster than me. All I did different was reach that little bit extra each stroke. Very enjoyable swim.

I don't have a real plan for this week other than to take it easy and allow the body to recover somewhat after 3 busy weeks. Next week will be a mammoth one so I have to avoid the temptation to overdo it especially when I have the urge to get stuck into running. Time is flying by :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Delighted for you dude! :D

Overall man your training has gone really really well. I know you were feeling it last week but you have but in some really tough weeks. Enjoy this week. Don't put any pressure on yourself and enjoy any session you do do.

I am only starting my building now for 3 and a half weeks and then its tapering for 10 days before Athlone, only doing sprint so this should be fine. You on the other hand have already the hard work done now. Again, enjoy the week!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good man, well deserved!

Tuesday pm: Easy run 10km or so
    No watch just ran as I felt as easy as possible. After a km though I spotted a Joey Hannon T shirt about 300m ahead and thought I recognised the guy. Picked up the pace a bit until I confirmed then did a km tempo to catch up and jog alongside chatting for another km. It was a lovely balmy but breezy evening. Met Caz half way and jogged home at her pace. Enjoyed this run.

Wednesday am: Swim Session Pool sets
    50m*16 various with fins warm up
    400m*3 fast off 7:30, in on 6:30, 6:42, 6:39 lead the first and 3rd
    100m*7 off 1:55 neg split in on 1:38-1:42 lead the first 5
    300m easy with fins cool down
    3,000m total.

Left shoulder felt tired. 400s were hard work but I let another guy lead the 2nd one so I had a bit of a breather drafting him closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi MCOS, delighted to hear the Budapest is back on, fair play to you and all the hard work and dedication.

ENjoy the rest week, its as important as the heavy training weeks, plus you dont want to burn yourself out.

Wednesday 2/06/10 pm: Cycling group ride 63km
    What a beautiful evening. Very warm though. Finally hooked up with the wednesday gang and its a large group. The pace was lively but up and down also. Good though as it kept the group together for the first hour. A pair of cyclists passed the group and the discipline showed up in letting them off and staying together. Then the pace creeped up and soon enough hammer time. I lead a break, then another one came, and another. Fun stuff, had the gas and took in a longer route home to cool down. I felt great and was tempted to do a run off the bike but this being a recovery week I held off. Avg hr 132, avg pace 32.6kmh.

Quick catch up. It was a quiet week on the training front.

Thursday 3/06/10 pm: 8km steady run
    Little time so short run at 4:30/km, nothing much to report.

Friday 4/06/10: Rest Day

Saturday 5/06/10 am: Turbo 60mins inc 5 min reps
    Overall avg 237 watts. 10min Z1, 4*5min on at 300w/5min off, 10min Z1
    Grand session, full of beans and actually had to reign it in.

Sunday 6/06/10 pm: Turbo 60min Z1
    Simple steady session at low 80 rpm average 211 watts. Stll sweated loads though.

Planned 2 swims, 2 bikes and 2 runs and a maximum of 8 hours and no intensity except a few reps on the turbo. All done but had to split the turbo over 2 days as I was busy.
    8 hours total
    2hrs30 swim
    1hr30 run
    4hrs bike

Now its head dwn for Athlone with a big week to do before tapering.

Good luck for the week ahead dude, you should feel nice and fresh, enjoy it!

Monday 07/06/10 pm: Run 16km steady with fartlek
    Overall 16km in 68:08 avg hr 159, avg pace 4:15/km. Fartlek part was 1km on/off*5. Km reps in 3:39/3:37/3:35/3:39/3:44. Had been wearing runners past their sell by date lately and with new Addidas Supernova Sequence on I felt a bounce. The reps were hard work though, in particular the last in a downpour into a headwind and up a drag. HR was easily over 180. Good run. 30mins stretching afterwards.

Tuesday 08/06/10 pm: Run 16km easy with strides
    Overall 16km in 78:40 avg hr 144, avg pace 4:55/km. New runners still soaked so back into the old Kayanos. Legs, especially calves and hams were stiff to start and progressively got stiffer and sore. No knee lift by the end. Strides were 9*60-80m and were not up to much by the last few reps. Hopefully a cycle tomorrow will loosen the legs again. Hopefully I can get another pair of runners next month and alternate. Ok run but a bit uncomfortable. 30mins stretching afterwards.

Extended stretching is going to become more regular and I'll start to implement frequent core too as main focus will be on running after this weekend. Con Air over now so bedtime...

Wednesday 09/06/10 am: Swim session
    50m*16 warm up easy
    900m steady at 1:48 pace
    200m*7 off 3:55 in on 3:25
    200m easy attempting backstroke
    3,300m total
    I felt great. The 900 was a breeze as I went off 3rd in line and just drafted. Lead the 200s and stretched it out a bit. Stroke felt long and strong. Focused on a quicker and softer catch. Good session :D

Wednesday 09/06/10 pm: Cycling with the group 64km
    The standard was higher with Cycling Club heads showing up. The pace was nifty immediately and had to be reigned back constantly. Quite windy out but in a big group you only have stints of maybe 2-3 mins at the front so its not too bad. I had to stop briefly to put chain back on and it took me about 3km pedalling hard to catch up again. Just when I had my breath almost back the pace lifted again. It was up and down for a while until 10km out from the 'finish line' when the wind up began. Some banter and breaks ending with a sprint to the line. Overall pace was 33.5kmh but that included stops at roundabout and the chain stop so probably closer to 35 I'd say. There was certainly no hanging about tonight and the legs felt it. Quite cool out too. Hr avg 132 but hit 170 on the sprint. Good session :D

• Advertisement

Thursday 10/06/10 lunchtime: Run around the quays 10km
    10km in 43:39 so quite brisk for a lunchtime one. Avg hr 153, avg pace 4:21/km. It was warm and the hills were harder work than usual. I guess I was still feeling that cycle last night in the legs.

Thursday 10/06/10 pm 1: Turbo 30mins easy
    Out of work late and decided not to cycle out to the TT seeing as how my legs felt at lunch and a 2 events coming up this weekend. Just put the TT bike on the turbo for an easy 30 mins to check my poition more than anything. Threw in 3*90secs at 300w, otherwise 200w.

Thursday 10/06/10 pm 2: Swim 1,500m TT
    Since I bailed on the cycle TT I knew there was a swim TT going on so I headed down to that instead. Sub 25 was the swim goal for the year so that was on my mind. 400m warm up with a a few 50s at TT pace. Off we went and I just got stuck in leading the lane. I had to pass people a few times and it was often at the wall and we would all kick off together. I popped my head up early though as I had lost count, only 1,250 done. Crap back into it and the signs of cramp were ominous. Indeed they obliged in the last 200 as I tired anyway so I limited the kicking and didn't push aggresively off the wall. Good swim though, time 24:36 avg 1:38/100m a personal best and confident about the swim objective for the year (sub 25 in Budapest) . Pretty chuffed with that progress :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

enjoy the wicklow 200 this sunday
    it's about as beautiful a part of the country to spend the day exploring as you'll get

Wow mcos, what a weeks training so far. Especially that 1,500TT training objective! And still 3 months out from Buda...perhaps more time to come off that? Also isn't it great to cycle with experienced cyclists? Great in the sense that you can mimic their very efficient style.

Best of luck in the 200, don't forget to take time to enjoy the sheer beauty. :)

And still 3 months out from Buda...perhaps more time to come off that? Also isn't it great to cycle with experienced cyclists? Great in the sense that you can mimic their very efficient style.

Yeah maybe I could improve betwen then and now and the wetsuit may help too. More importantly though at the start of this year I thought I'd have to swim my socks off to hit 25 by Sept and now that its quite likely I can hit that mark, I'm maintaining the target with a view to doing it with less effort than I originally anticipated, leaving more for the bike and run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Savage progress there MCOS. Congrats on the PB. :cool:

Enjoy W200. Should be a great spin from what I hear.

Enjoy your W200 outing man.

Saturday 12/06/10: Fastnet sprint Triathlon, Schull

I opted to drive down after work on Friday and glad I did as its an epic bumpy and winding drive. The weather was as perfect as you could want. Schull is a beautiful spot. There was no time to recce the course but I was relaxed and not bothered. It was a 'C' race and I decided to take it as it comes. The standard was going to be higher than I thought as I saw Kevin Keane and a few other heads hanging around registration. The race morning atmosphere was great. Blue skies and warm sunshine a significant factor.

Swim
    The route was a triangle. After Valentia I knew a fast start can get you away from the messing (mostly) so that was the plan again. I tore off after the fast swimmers and got to the first buoy quickly. I then settled to a good rhythm to the next buoy picking up feet as they passed me. The second bout was about a 120 degree turn right and I got my line skewed after it. I lost the feet I was following and went a bit wide right. I sighted more regularly though and got back on line. I felt strong to the end and was pleased with the swim. 12:02 not bad. A bit slower than Valentia but then that was a straight shot whereas this one had 3 buoys to negotiate. I managed to miss the mats on the slip though and slipped getting out. Another guy from my club emerged beside me on the slip and with him being a better swimmer than me I knew I had a decent one.

T1.
    Sharp little hill up the slip and into the school yard and another little bump up to transition. Transition itself was efficient but at 1:40 it was a longer run up to it than usual.

Cycle
    You had to run up a steep hill with the bike before mountain at the top. The leap of faith was finer and I got my feet into the shoes straight away. It really makes such a difference and I immediately passed a few. It was a straight out and back towards Mizen Head and I have to say it was bloody tough for a sprint course. I made up several more places by the turnaround. The road surface wasn't exactly smooth and the hills were steep. I was passed 3 times on the return route by one guy who was generally motoring and 2 who made better of the 2 steep climbs. The first of which was right after the turnaround and the next about 4km from the end of the route, the worst places to have them! I have to get used to the TT bike on proper hills as this was my first time climbing with it. Thankfully the 2 steep hills were no more than 1.5kms. They did require the use of the granny gear though. The bike overall was good but 36:59 shows how tough it was and/or maybe it was a shade long. I arrived back to T2 in 8th. Pretty much just like 2 weeks ago in Valentia!

T2.
    You had to dismount before the sharp drop down to the school which was fine but it was a n experience to lead the bike down with it picking up speed and you trying to slow down beside it! Transition was fine but with a little run up a bank on the way out a guy flew past me and tore down off down the road.

Run
    I had run a bit of the course in a warm up and it wasn't too bad. A bit bumpy but ok. I glanced back over to the other side of transition as I left and nobody was in yet. I was in 9th and had a good minute at least to hold onto it.

I had not put the lock laces on the new runners so was in the old ones again as I figured it was only a sprint. I was immediately regretting being so lazy as I could have done with that extra bounce. I got into as good a stride as I could. I had a target about 50m front of me but he was pulling away. I decided not to look behind and I'd wait until the turnaround to see what the scenario was . No water on the way out though and I was gasping. I hadn't the chance to get my water bottle out much on the bike course as I was bumping all over the place and it was not pretty warm out with direct sunshine by the coast road. I didn't see a water station on the other side of the road either and it later transpired that the top 20 or so had gone by by the time they had water out. It was a hot sunny day FFS. Not on :mad: Anyway at the turnaround I was please to see that it took 20-25 secs before I spotted someone. The lead lady Joyce Wolf with a couple of lads in hot pursuit. About 30 secs later I spotted the 2nd lady Lizzie Lee who I know is a fabulous runner. The mission was now to hold on. I focused on cadence. I didn't have much more to give in the legs but I though that if I could just keep turning them over I could stay ahead. There was no catching the lads in front but I did start to close the gap slightly. I was gasping for a drink and completely over heating. There was a small but steep little hill about 1.5 km from the end which I was very tempted to walk a bit of. I looked behind and saw no one but kept the legs turning over. Within sight of the Finish as in Valentia I lifted the pace and actually started reeling the guy ahead in. I was well out of road though and it was more about protecting my position and holding off anything that might be going on behind me. Finished the run in 20:24 which again is not great but was a bit batter than Valentia. Importantly for the first time this season I wasn't passed on the run and I'm fairly pleased with that :D I can't believe they didn't have water on the run. Very bad form in an otherwise well run race. One thing I noticed about the winner (Kevin Keane .. again) was his incredible cadence on the run. Hmmm... I think also an investment in a running cap is in order. I don't run well in heat.

Splits
    Overall 9th 1:12:41, S 12:02 (14) T1 1:40 B 36:59 (10) T2 1:36 R 20:24 (34)
    Happy to get a top 10 in a National Series Race and can't believe my swim split :eek: That's the closest to the front on the swim I've been in any event and it was almost as good as my bike rank! I didn't hang around for the results but headed out to Mizen head to take in the beauty of some of West Cork. Written on the ground there is 'The End, Jo' ! Taking the route I had driven I was even more in awe of what the girl accomplished!!

Sunday 13/06/10: Wicklow 200

Early start for this one. Up at 0330 and out the door for 0400. I was still asleep eating the porridge! I was a bit anxious about this as although I have plenty of turbo work done I have precious few long rides and even less mountain climbing. I figured I'd just take it easy and get in with some group and get pulled around. Then I was over estimating my over-riding my gung ho alter ego there I got through it and in no small way to to guardian angels. The first of which was the toll guy on the M7. Stupid me figured, looking at a low tank on the way back from Schull on Saturday evening, that I'd just fill up in the morning. It didn't dawn on me at the time that I'd be leaving at 4am and it would be Sunday too! No stations open to my dismay. I prayed that Roscrea would be open. Nope. Through the Toll Bridge and the toll guy saw my jersey and wished me luck in the cycle. He must have seen one or tow bike racks pass through already. I replied 'if I get there, I'm low on fuel! He informed me that there was a 24 hour filling station in Portlaois and gave me directions too. Thank you thank you Mr Toll man guardian angel #1! It still took me 20 mins to find it as there is much happening in Portlaois at 5am on a Sunday Morning. Anyway, I got back on the road happy again and eventually joined the stream of cars with bikes attached on the M50. It resulted in me leaving Greystones quite late at 0740.
    The first 30km or so flew by and I was happy out taking in the magnificence of the view up around Glencree. It was a lovely morning and loads on the route. Not really any groups though and I found even at an easy pace I was passing loads. The Sally Gap was hidden under a cloud which soaked the lot of us. I was greeted by Mloc123 and how he spotted me out of the mist is beyond me. I was climbing quite aggressively simply because I was cold and wet and wanted to get dry again. The weather improved after the second hour, however I began to have issues with the crank. Necessitating several stops and fumbling with Allen keys. It eventually fell off before Donard when I was standing up on the pedals mashing up a steep hill. I honestly thought I was done for day. I had to find a few bit that had roll down the hill also. Thankfully it was right beside some hillside pub that was closed but a nice couple from Monaghan had seen me fall off and between them , a phone call and a man with a wrench I was good to go again. It was about 30mins of faffing but thank you thank you thank whoever you are my guardian angel #2.

I was happy to arrive at Donard but not so please to see the queues. My own fault for starting late and not having the bike services this week as I intended. With the crank ok again I hit a stride for the second checkpoint in Rathdrum. I was stuck on my small ring which meant having to free wheel mostly down hills and spinning out a few times. The trio of climbs at Aghavannagh, Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot were all hard work but I had a lovely rhythm going and must have passed literally hundreds over these mountains. I was passed just twice going uphill the whole day. That alone gave me immense satisfaction! I learned how important cadence and rhythm are for hills. So many were barely turning the pedal and some were walking. The descent off Slieve Mann was nothing short of thrilling. I tucked in low and took the bends flat out. The road was lumpy in part adding to the adrenalin rush. The 3 climbs were one after another so by Rathdrum you were feeling it. However with just 60km or so it was the home stretch. I met a few friendly faces from Limerick Cycling Club but everyone was hanging around too long and I was anxious to get home to my bed.
    Before I left I manually put my chain on the bigger ring as I thought that the big climbs were now all done. On the road to Avoca I met a nice guy training fro IMCH and we rode together for a while. He was a hoot. I picked up some pairs and small groups but seemed to be dropping everything on hills. I did get a nice draft behind 2 big guys for about 5km or so and we were motoring too. I had caught up with some of the earlier starters and there were fewer on the road at this stage. The climb just after Avoca was unexpected and just plain cruel! You thought you had the whole business end of the route put down so this climb was just nasty. I was surprised to be still ok after 6 hours in the saddle but I was really getting sick of hills. I was also wondering when the effects of the race the previous day would kick in. I kept eating and drinking all day for fear of bonking.
    The last 30km was quite lonely. I was tired and not in the mood for any more random chats. I was just hoping I'd see a group up ahead or one would come past. I didn't sit in behind people at time but lost them inevitably on hills. I think I was so afraid of the hills from the onset that I just wanted to get each one over and done with as soon as I could! About 5km outside Kilcoole I group roared past with few of the friendly faces in it. I jumped on the back but as I had to shift down to the big ring for the Avoca climb, I was now stuck in it and pedalling furiously to stay attached. I lost them after a few kms and with just 10km to go the motivation waned and the legs wanted to give up. I cursed myself for being too gung ho on the hills and also for being impatient and not waiting for the group to head off from the last checkpoint. I saw a guy in front of me dive into a petrol station and I followed suit. We both grinned as we swallowed back chocolate and crisps and washed them down with coke. Another guys arrived in fuming after his 5th puncture of the day. I suddenly didn't feel so bad! While grazing on the sugar 3 pelotons passed on the road in front of me. I cursed my alter ego once again :rolleyes: The headwind back into Greystones was not fun but thankfully I finished before the heavens opened :D Overall it was a long day, out on the course for 8.5 hours and a shade over 7 hours of it cycling. I went up more hills in one day that I have done all year!

Slept like a baby last night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Now, that is a monster week - tri + W200!

Great outing for the W200, particularly in light of your mechanicals.

If you are bored between Athlone and Budapest, I reckon you'd easily bash out an IM somewhere...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Slept like a baby last night :)

Now I'd say that's a bit of an understatement!!

FFS MCOS, what are you trying to do to yourself with a weekend like that?

Fair play, great result in the tri, and a nice eventful day in Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

great stuff MCOS, never even considered a crank falling off the bike. now that is a scary thought when your out in the middle of nowhere climbing with no phone signal. thankfully you had support and got it fixed.

Advertisement