Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Rock Song for Drums?

Options
  • 29-01-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey,

Looking to get some new songs with best drums on the Ipod. Need some suggestions

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Could you provide a bit more information? Are you looking to play along with these songs or just listen to them in the gym or something? How do you define "best"? Do you want fast drum beats, intricate drum beats, fast intricate drum beats or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Moby Dick off "The song remains the same" album. Led Zeppelin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

It's very hard to define what good drumming is. Some drummers can provide a simple steady, solid beat that really drives the song, while others can be more adventurous but sometimes overdo it and ruin a song.

It's hard to name songs but some albums i'd recommend based on drumming would be Tool - Aenima, Rush - 2112, Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, Mastodon - Remission and The Stone Roses - s/t. Or if you want something a bit more adventurous than rock there's lots of awesome jazz drummers like Buddy Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

All the songs listed above are great, particularly Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin, you could also try "Acid Rain" and "Paradgim Shift" by Liquid Tension Experiment, "As I Am" by Dream Theater, or "10,000 Days (Wings part II)" by Tool. I love to listen to these songs while jogging... or is it yogging i think its a soft "j" anyway really depends on what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I always thought most Rush songs had brilliant drum rhythms. Neil Peart makes the drums become almost melodic in their own sense rather than simply providing a beat for the song or by what I like the call "over drumming". (drummers who just play fast rhythms because they think fast rhythm must=awesome when it doesn't. You find this a lot in metal.)

I don't know how to explain it. That's the best I can do. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Wont get fooled again or most dream theater and rush songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Dave Grohl's drumming on 'Songs for the Deaf' album is worth a mention.
    (even though he's blatantly ripped off everything from John Bonham!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jako8 wrote: »
    I always thought most Rush songs had brilliant drum rhythms. Neil Peart makes the drums become almost melodic in their own sense rather than simply providing a beat for the song or by what I like the call "over drumming". (drummers who just play fast rhythms because they think fast rhythm must=awesome when it doesn't. You find this a lot in metal.)

I don't know how to explain it. That's the best I can do. :p

I try and explain that and peoples responses go along the lines of "Joey Jordison stll kicks Neil Pearts bum". If Joey was as good as people think, they wouldn't need the extra "percussion" people in the band. Example of this was Opeth gig in Olympia...Axe plays drum solo, really cool technical bit, my mouth just drops. Crowd doesn't react that much. Then he plays an uber-fast, overly simplistic roll, and the crowd laps it up.

At the moment, Gavin Harrison is untouchable for me. I know some of the stuff he does is from Chris Maitland era Porcupine Tree, but holy God, I cannot imagine those songs with Gavins little quirky style moments in there.

Yeah, Dave Grohl stuff is good to want to play/listen to in terms of rock, despite the Bonhem-esque appoach to it all. Too much of a good thing doesn't make it bad. Partly the reason I really like TCV.

Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam for rock songs I'll add to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

Mushy wrote: »
    I try and explain that and peoples responses go along the lines of "Joey Jordison stll kicks Neil Pearts bum". If Joey was as good as people think, they wouldn't need the extra "percussion" people in the band.....

Agreed. I'm find myself arguing with people till I'm blue in the face about Joey Jordison. I'm not going to get into a big Joey bash but I totally agree that people like Neil Peart, Gavin Harrison, Mike Portnoy, Danny Carey, Carl Palmer, Tommy Aldridge, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Buddy Rich and even Stewart Copeland are all great (some god-like:p) drummers Just depends on what style your looking for.

Surley nobody who listens to any track by these artists will not find themselves air drumming at some stage. Just take "10,000 days (Wings pt II)" by Tool(Danny Carey) as a perfect example of fantastic technical drumming or "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin(John Bonham) as a shining example of rock drumming with its influnces from blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

When The Levee Breaks or Four Sticks by Led Zep
    Stargazer and Light in the Black by Rainbow (Cozy Powell going ape****)
    Black Rose by Thin Lizzy
    Up on Cripple Creek - the Band (crazy rhythm, but it fits perfectly)
    Toad by Cream, Ginger Baker's masterpiece.
    Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
    The Mule - Deep Purple
    All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix.
    Born To Run - Springsteen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Flight of the Rat - Deep Purple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Golden earring - Radar love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Agoraphobic Nosebleed

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Taylor Hawkins on Pretender by Foo Fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

One - Metallica

Anything off Vulgar Display of Power (Pantera)

I like Slipknot myself

Wah! I forgot about Black Sabbath!! I love all that jazzy style drumming in the 70s, prefer it over modern stuff and double foot pedals.

Rush too are deadly, well Neil Peart is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I love the drums from Machine Heads - Burn My Eyes.

In fact all of their albums..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    One - Metallica

Anything off Vulgar Display of Power (Pantera)

I like Slipknot myself

Apparantly the end of Becoming by Pantera is a b*stard to play!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Apparantly the end of Becoming by Pantera is a b*stard to play!!

Most of Vinnie Paul's stuff is a bastard to play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mister Tickle

intro to "rock n roll" by Zeppelin...brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Honour thy father by Dream Theatre is a beast on drums!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

IRON MAIDENS SIGN OF THE CROSS ON THE X FACTOR WOULD BE ONE OF MY FAV DRUM IT HAS HEAVY DRUM THEN SLOW BEATS AND THEN TOTALLY CHANGES AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Meshuggah - Bleed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

What do you mean "new songs with best drums" ? .. best sounding ? , best tecnhique ?

my own personal favourite drummers are ....

Neil Peart (Rush) & Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) - Technical
    Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy) - Groove
    Phil Rudd (AC/DC) - Rock Solid 4/4 Unsung Hero
    Alex Van Halen (Van Halen), John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), Dave Grohl (Queens of the Stone Age) - BIG Sound
    Keith Moon (The Who) - Loose / Wild

Peter Criss (Kiss) .... nah, not even Peter Criss wants to be Peter Criss :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

While not exactly rock or metal, its tough to argue against not wanting to be like that. Makes it look so effortless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

"Midlife Crisis" Faith No More

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If its for practice, I learned on zztop - great for warm up and loads of room for improv

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Bad reputation is a great drummers song.
    Also one of my favourite drummers is John Dolmayan from System of a Down, he adds disco and funk beats to the songs, which I think makes him stand out as an iconic drummer for creating his own sound.

Advertisement