Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Ulster Bank.

Options
  • 29-01-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

My grandfather has passed away in Australia and I sent my bank details to the solicitor to have the funds transferred.

I have been told that the funds will not be transferred to Ulster Bank as they deem it to be a security risk.

Is this the widespread view of Irish banks outside Ireland or just Ulster Bank in particular or is this some anomaly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Thread moved to Banking.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My grandfather has passed away in Australia and I sent my bank details to the solicitor to have the funds transferred.

I have been told that the funds will not be transferred to Ulster Bank as they deem it to be a security risk.

Is this the widespread view of Irish banks outside Ireland or just Ulster Bank in particular or is this some anomaly?

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. I've never encountered a bank refusing to transfer to another bank because they are a security risk. Is there any way you or the solicitors could get more details on it? Is it a particularly large amount of money? Ask them if it is a particular issue with Ulster Bank, and if so, ask them what their 'approved' banks are. You could then open an account with them to have the money transferred into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Sorry for your loss.

Banks use lists of countries that are deemed high risk for funds transfers. This is mainly due to a unstable banking system in that country. So funds that are transfered may not get to the intended payee.

I find it hard to believe they see any Irish Bank as a high risk as its normally based on the country that the bank is operating in.

I'd say the risk is some other kind of risk but hay, I'm interested to hear more.

Advertisement