Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem ripping a dvd

• 29-01-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi.

Im having a problem ripping a dvd movie (which I own - not piracy as I dont intend to sell or give to anyone else - for all the do-gooders out there).

My problem is that there is two main pgc's. pgc0 is 1hr 45 minutes long. pgc1 is 1 hr 30 minutes long. The length of the actual film (when i watch it normally on my dvd player is 1 hr 30 minutes long). So im assuming the pgc I want to rip is pgc1.

However, I used dvd decrypter too copy the whole dvd (every file) onto my hard disk and then used dvd shrink to convert pgc1 to divx. What I have done is convert the first ten minutes of the film into divx and then cancel the conversion to enable me check that the conversion went ok.

I found that everything is ok with conversion, sound is in sync with video, vise-versa, and picture quality is perfect. However, when the film gets about 5 minutes in, it pauses for about 3 seconds, then repeats the last 5 seconds of video again and pauses again and then about another 3 seconds later it continues the film. Also, at this point in the film, which the film is playing, a little box (like a widescreen tv box) apears up the top right of the screen and is playing another part of the film)

I have tried to do the same with pgc0 just incase I chose the wrong pgc but the same thing happens. Can anyone please please shed some light on what is happening here and how I go about solving the problem?

Thank you.

Regards,

DJ

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Technically, copying your own DVD's is not allowed ;)

But, you seem to be completely over complicating the process and why do you want to convert it to divx?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

First of all, if I purchase a dvd, I am fully entitled to copy it as many times as I feel fit to do so as long as the copies are solely intended for personal use. Which they are.

The reason I wish to copy all my dvds and convert them to divx is because i have an icy box in my bedroom hooked up to my tv and rather than interchanging dvds all the time, i can just save them all on the icy box and watch them on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Maybe stopping the conversion is causing the issue. Have you tried just converting a small file that you can allow to complete fully? Otherwise it might be worth trying alternative conversion software like AutoGK or Handbrake

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

djt0607 wrote: »
    First of all, if I purchase a dvd, I am fully entitled to copy it as many times as I feel fit to do so as long as the copies are solely intended for personal use. Which they are.

yeh im afriad the MPAA and the DPA see it otherwise friend :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Set DVDDecrypter to IFO mode first

DVDDecrypter_IFO_Mode.jpg

Then select the correct PGC

dvd_decrypter_ifo_mode.png

And rip to the HDD

That dvd your ripping might have a director's cut option on it (so in effect two films) or have different angles on some scenes. Can you say what DVD is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement