Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What gear do I need?

• 29-01-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

So many people telling me I need layers upon layers.

I was thinking hat, gloves, base layer top and bottom, fleece top, jacket, and ski pants.

I have a trespass jacket its like two jackets in one, an outer wind/rain sheeter and an inner fleece. Its really warm. Was wearing it in NY at Xmas. Would that suffice?

Also what boots do I need? Should I get snowboots or will my cats or timberlands do me?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Layers it what you want, how many layers though will vary wildly between one person and another and depending on where your going with the altitude, temperature and how much your actually moving about. I'd often just have a thermal top and then a thin jacket over the top, but that is the advantage of layers as it's then simple to just put another fleece on if it turns really chilly.

You definately dont need to be getting any new footware for getting around the resort, a pair of CATs or whatever will do perferctly fine.

Have a look at the F.A.Q. as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

You wont need layers and layers unless the temperature drops by a large amount.SOme people feel the old different to others.I had a T-shirt on and my body armour and that was enough to keep me warm,some days i needed my jacket too but you'll find that out for yourself when you get there.
    Some days you might get sun and it will be very warm adn ive sen people flying around in T-shirts.You have to remember when youre boarding/skiing for hours you work up a sweat and you wont stay cold for long.Judge it for yourself th first day,wear a few layers and judge it from that.What you mentioned seems like more then enough.

You will wear your ski boots or snowboard boots on the mountain and usually in the resorts there isnt much snow.I wore my timberlands and runners and that was fine.Dress codes is usually relaxed in most resorts so runners work great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 regmcd

yep, base layer is the most important. Icebreakers are the best you'll get, made from merino wool. Not only are they really warm and cosy, you can wear one for the whole week and it wont even smell a bit. way better than any synthetic thermals that stink after one wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well its been said but ill say it again Layers!!!

But it really depends.. I just usually wear a longsleeve thermal and a jacket over it.. not especially thick.. But my girlfriend was wearing a thermal, t-shirt, hoodie and jacket over that..

Using something wicking on your skin, so if you are sweating a bit its not hanging on you!!

I dont wear the longjohns..

As for getting about resort.. runners are fine man.. In resorts they have things called ploughs, we dont have them over here!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

T-rev wrote: »
    So many people telling me I need layers upon layers.

I was thinking hat, gloves, base layer top and bottom, fleece top, jacket, and ski pants.
    I

That is what i wear and it has seen me ok in all the conditions i have skied in. If it is too hot anywhere, yoiu can just remove the fleece or jacket but if it is too cold and you dont have a necessary layer, then ..Brrrrr..Brrrrr.
    :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement