Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beacon Motor Group

• 29-01-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭

Mrs Cyrus wants an alfa GT and has taken a shine to this particular one

http://www.beaconmotorgroup.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=483786

has anyone dealt with these lads and got anything to say, good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

No problem recomending a guy called Lorcan from Beacon.. He took in my boxster a few months back and put me in a stunning mkv dsg golf gti.
    Nice selection of motors any time I was there and a pleasure to deal with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

reasonable trade in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Compared to what I paid for the boxster no! But in fairness the golf had dropped significantly in value too so fair deal in the end.. Would have in theory got a few €k more on a private sale on the Porsche but it was on carzone and adverts et all and only had a handful of callers but no one willing to pay what I was asking so decided on a trade in the end. From memory they shifted the boxster fairly quickly after I did the deal.
    The alfa GT they have looks stunning and seems very good value!
    Let us know how you get on.. Lorcan is 100% to deal with and is the owner afaik so deal the organ grinder and not the monkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I test drove that car last week at Beacon. Was in pretty good condition. Felt nice to drive. Gear change felt a bit loose and the seats were a bit worn but aside from that it was good. Very comfortable inside.

I would have bought it but the trade in value they were giving me on my own car was too low.

cool, she isnt thinking of going to look at it til next weekend but what kind of condition was it in overall? any evidence any previous repairs, paint work etc all ok?

and was the service history ok?

also is the loose gear change common with them or specific to that one?

her car is a 01 pug 206 and its a bit dented up so its not worth much, so we wont be insulted on a trade in, however as the deal will be 90% cash ill be looking for a decent deal off of him.

• Advertisement

It was in very good condition overall. Didn't look like there had been any previous repairs. Alloys were in good nick, some very slight kerbing. Engine bay was in good nick. No obvious dents or scratches anywhere.
    I didn't take a look at the service history because the guy wasn't budging on the trade in price on my car. He seemed to be pretty set on the price on the Alfa because its one of the cheapest in the country at the moment (which in fairness it is)
    Found the guy pretty hard to deal with to be honest, he wasn't really interested in my car and was a bit condescending about it all.

(This is my car http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=179411&cat=all)

Speedway wrote: »
    It was in very good condition overall. Didn't look like there had been any previous repairs. Alloys were in good nick, some very slight kerbing. Engine bay was in good nick. No obvious dents or scratches anywhere.
    I didn't take a look at the service history because the guy wasn't budging on the trade in price on my car. He seemed to be pretty set on the price on the Alfa because its one of the cheapest in the country at the moment (which in fairness it is)
    Found the guy pretty hard to deal with to be honest, he wasn't really interested in my car and was a bit condescending about it all.

(This is my car http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=179411&cat=all)

cheers for that,

to be fair the gt is well priced, but if he wants my missuses custom he will have to take a tatty 206 and allow a few quid for it :D

thanks for the info

No worries, best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What price to change were you thinking of, Cyrus?
    Speedway wrote: »

Nice car :)

Not the easiest car to sell at the moment, I can see where the salesperson wouldn't budge. Out of interest, how much did he want plus your car for the Alfa? About €4k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I haven't driven the JTS GTs so can't say what the gear change should feel like (incidentally I wrecked my own gear linkage last year by being way to aggressive with it, It wasn't a huge cost to get it replaced).

Kerbing to the 17" alloys isn't unusual (in my experience!), but wear to the seats sounds odd-my car is nearly 6 years old and has over 70,000 miles and tan leather and apart from creasing to the driver's seat, the leather is perfect.

The fact they mention the timing belt is a good sign IMHO.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

Not the easiest car to sell at the moment, I can see where the salesperson wouldn't budge. Out of interest, how much did he want plus your car for the Alfa? About €4k?

well the 206 is a little tatty, but mechanically sound, what those lads refer to as a lovely little runner,

it was the car she learned to drive in and has had it for 3 years with no issues.

Maybe im off my head, but given the fact it should be a reasonably easy one to sell for him and such a large portion of the deal will be cash, i would have thought the 206 + 10k ( a little less if i can manage it) should get the deal done.

Thoughts?

id be delighted if she got a gt, always liked them :)

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I haven't driven the JTS GTs so can't say what the gear change should feel like (incidentally I wrecked my own gear linkage last year by being way to aggressive with it, It wasn't a huge cost to get it replaced).

Kerbing to the 17" alloys isn't unusual (in my experience!), but wear to the seats sounds odd-my car is nearly 6 years old and has over 70,000 miles and tan leather and apart from creasing to the driver's seat, the leather is perfect.

The fact they mention the timing belt is a good sign IMHO.

in my experience leather responds well to being taken care off but a lot of people dont bother, also black does seem to scuff more quickly than lighter colours

i had a 02 bmw m3 with kiwi (light green) leather and it was perfect, i just saw the car the other day and it now has 70k on it and the leather is still perfect but it was always cleaned and conditioned

Thanks Unkel, my pride and joy :D only selling because I'm looking for something a little bit bigger.

He was offering me about €5k for my own car so about another €6k with it and he wouldn't budge on that. If he had said €4k with my own I would have taken it.

In fairness he did say that my car was worth a hell of a lot more than the €5k he offered me but for him to take it as a trade in and because the alfa was well priced already he couldn't do any better.

Cyrus wrote: »
    well the 206 is a little tatty, but mechanically sound, what those lads refer to as a lovely little runner,

it was the car she learned to drive in and has had it for 3 years with no issues.

Maybe im off my head, but given the fact it should be a reasonably easy one to sell for him and such a large portion of the deal will be cash, i would have thought the 206 + 10k ( a little less if i can manage it) should get the deal done.

Thoughts?

id be delighted if she got a gt, always liked them :)

I'd say the 206 + 10k sounds about right, should have no problems with that. Have to say the GT was very nice to drive. It's not a fast car at all but its not designed to be. It's really a nice comfortable GT car and it looks fantastic. there's a nice rasp from the exhaust as well.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i would have thought the 206 + 10k ( a little less if i can manage it) should get the deal done.

I'd start a good bit lower than that. 206s are popular wee cars, he should have no problem selling that on (even to the trade if it is below him :))

Start with 8 and get firmer if you can't get him to around 9

And hope to feck he doesn't read boards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I know it's slightly O/T, but having looked into buying diesel GT's -> how is a 5 year old 1.8petrol good value at 11k? You would have a 2.0JTS or 1.9JTD landed for that, happily enough. There's also two high spec 2.0JTS on carzone a good bit cheaper than this one.

Speedway, this GT would be a good bit slower than your Punto, just so you know.

There's so much wrong with your post, Tragedy, I don't know where to start replying to it :)

I'll just limit myself to this:
    Tragedy wrote: »
    this GT would be a good bit slower than your Punto, just so you know.

Nonsense. You need to rev the TS engine a good bit to make progress, but it would be noticeably faster than the Punto in every situation possible. Anyway, I doubt Mrs Cyrus is as keen as her husband (was) to drive a very fast car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Think they're selling a lot of stuff on behalf of the banks... so I'd get finance checks done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

There's so much wrong with your post, Tragedy, I don't know where to start replying to it
    I can link you two the two 2.0 JTS on carzone if thats what you think is wrong?
    Or a plethora of 2.0JTS/1.9JTDm on PH/autotrader for cheaper with ROS vrt quotes, if thats what you think is wrong?

Nonsense. You need to rev the TS engine a good bit to make progress, but it would be noticeably faster than the Punto in every situation possible. Anyway, I doubt Mrs Cyrus is as keen as her husband (was) to drive a very fast car ;)
    According to manufacturer statistics, the 1.8TS GT is 140hp does 0-60 in 10.3 seconds(or 10.6 according to a good few places) and has a peak torque of just 120lb-ft.
    Speedway says his Punto is a one of a kind 1.4 sporting with 110hp, stock with 85hp it did 0-60 in 11 seconds.

Anyway, I doubt Mrs Cyrus is as keen as her husband (was) to drive a very fast car ;)

hey watch it with the 'was' chat ;)

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    I can link you two the two 2.0 JTS on carzone if thats what you think is wrong?
    Or a plethora of 2.0JTS/1.9JTDm on PH/autotrader for cheaper with ROS vrt quotes, if thats what you think is wrong?

According to manufacturer statistics, the 1.8TS GT is 140hp does 0-60 in 10.3 seconds(or 10.6 according to a good few places) and has a peak torque of just 120lb-ft.
    Speedway says his Punto is a one of a kind 1.4 sporting with 110hp, stock with 85hp it did 0-60 in 11 seconds.

what are the 2 2 litres that you are talking about? are they from dealers? she needs a trade in so private sales are no good to me

Advertisement