Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What GFX Card ~ €80

Options
  • 29-01-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to replace a failed 8600GT card in my wife's machine. The PC gets used for gaming and would prefer to remain with Nvidia but could consider ATI if there was a 'winner'.

Her PSU was replaced and is currently a fairly cheap 400 Watt unit from PC World - this is my concern as I dont really want to buy anything larger.

What can I get for this price - even a bit more and still run off this existing PSU or is there just no chance?

Was looking at the one GT 250 which from what I understand is just a 'rebadged' 9800 card?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Chaz wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to replace a failed 8600GT card in my wife's machine. The PC gets used for gaming and would prefer to remain with Nvidia but could consider ATI if there was a 'winner'.

Her PSU was replaced and is currently a fairly cheap 400 Watt unit from PC World - this is my concern as I dont really want to buy anything larger.

What can I get for this price - even a bit more and still run off this existing PSU or is there just no chance?

Was looking at the one GT 250 which from what I understand is just a 'rebadged' 9800 card?

Thanks in advance.

Presuming that the old card did everything that you needed, an ATI suggestion for about 60 euros would be the HD4670 which is about twice as powerful as the 8600GT and will run on that PSU no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

marco_polo wrote: »
    Presuming that the old card did everything that you needed, an ATI suggestion for about 60 euros would be the HD4670 which is about twice as powerful as the 8600GT and will run on that PSU no problems.

Thanks. How far could I go, assuming budget wasnt too much of a restriction for 'better' on the same PSU?

I currently run a 8800GTX in my rig - out of interest - how would this HD4670 compare and at what levels would I see improvements on my own rig if I decided to upgrade - what would I need to be aiming for?

Maybe I can give her mine and get something else myself ... ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

An 8800GTX would be a lot better than a HD4670 and would put a lot more pressure on the offending PSU. To be sure I'd need to know the PSU's 12V rail(s) current output (on a label on its side) and everything else in the machine (especially CPU and hard drive type/quantity).

A HD5670 is newer, nicer, better on power consumption and a bit closer to the 8800GTX (still not quite there yet!) but if its a lot more expensive than the HD4670 there's little point; its a lot better but its still not a full-blown gaming GPU.

Even today the HD4770 is a good strong mid-range card slung between the HD5670 and HD5750 (around 8800GTX levels IIRC). No DX11, but TBH its not even an issue for a non-high-end card. The card is now getting more scarce but can still be had for under €80 in places. Downside is that while the power consumption is around HD4670 levels (for nearly twice the performance) the card needs a PCIe power connector for God-knows what reason. If the PSU lacks one you have to cobble something together from an adaptor and spare Molex power connectors hanging off the PSU :o

At a bit under €100 the HD5750 is the highest-end card I'd recommend for a weak PSU. Slightly higher power consumption than the other cards here (a lot lower than a 8800GTX!) if you're playing Crysis otherwise its actually a bit more frugal under mid-heavy 3D load. Guess Crysis Warhead is the game closest to being a GPU torture test ;) Its quicker than the HD4770 or 8800GTX and very overclockable; enough to run a current game with mid-high settings and even the odd bit of light AA on a 1080p monitor if need be. Again, it needs a PCIe power connection from the PSU. And again, if you have some spare connectors off said PSU most card come with an adaptor for a DIY solution ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    An 8800GTX would be a lot better than a HD4670 and would put a lot more pressure on the offending PSU. To be sure I'd need to know the PSU's 12V rail(s) current output (on a label on its side) and everything else in the machine (especially CPU and hard drive type/quantity).

A HD5670 is newer, nicer, better on power consumption and a bit closer to the 8800GTX (still not quite there yet!) but if its a lot more expensive than the HD4670 there's little point; its a lot better but its still not a full-blown gaming GPU.

Even today the HD4770 is a good strong mid-range card slung between the HD5670 and HD5750 (around 8800GTX levels IIRC). No DX11, but TBH its not even an issue for a non-high-end card. The card is now getting more scarce but can still be had for under €80 in places. Downside is that while the power consumption is around HD4670 levels (for nearly twice the performance) the card needs a PCIe power connector for God-knows what reason. If the PSU lacks one you have to cobble something together from an adaptor and spare Molex power connectors hanging off the PSU :o

At a bit under €100 the HD5750 is the highest-end card I'd recommend for a weak PSU. Slightly higher power consumption than the other cards here (a lot lower than a 8800GTX!) if you're playing Crysis otherwise its actually a bit more frugal under mid-heavy 3D load. Guess Crysis Warhead is the game closest to being a GPU torture test ;) Its quicker than the HD4770 or 8800GTX and very overclockable; enough to run a current game with mid-high settings and even the odd bit of light AA on a 1080p monitor if need be. Again, it needs a PCIe power connection from the PSU. And again, if you have some spare connectors off said PSU most card come with an adaptor for a DIY solution ;)

Thanks - very concise review.

The 2nd PC gets used for gaming but nothing as heavy as Crysis - so should be OK. Ill see if I can find HD5750 or take one step back from that.

Anything from the Nvidia stable worth considering?

• Advertisement

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-155-XF

Feel a bit stung with XFX after the issues on a previous card .... but thats well priced etc and you say its > 8800 GTX?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thanks - very concise review.

The 2nd PC gets used for gaming but nothing as heavy as Crysis - so should be OK. Ill see if I can find HD5750 or take one step back from that.

Anything from the Nvidia stable worth considering?

Not at the moment they have really slipped in the last year. They were solidly beaten by ATI in the previous generation of cards, and there is no sign of the next generation of Fermi cards yet (or looking like anytime soon). The best value is to be had with ATI at the moment

Argh - whats the chance - my own card seems to be showing artifacts now .... ffs ....

Not at the moment they have really slipped in the last year. They were solidly beaten by ATI in the previous generation of cards, and there is no sign of the next generation of Fermi cards yet (or looking like anytime soon). The best value is to be had with ATI at the moment

Wow, how things have turned - thought ATI were beat.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1005063745.1264795899@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadejhjhkjdjcflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&sku=339265

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1005063745.1264795899@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchadejhjhkjdjcflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&sku=851239

Either worth considering if I need something without ordering?

If you need something from a brick and mortar store I would use peats instead of PC World, much better pricing.

As an 4800 series card the 4830 would be considerably more more power hungry, and on top of that also a bit below the performance level of the 4770. (despite its number the 4770 is it more closly related to the more frugal 5600/700 cards than the 4800s as it is based on the newer manufacturing process). The 5770 the next model up from a 5750 and there is a reasonable chance it could be beyond a no name 400W PSU.

• Advertisement

Actually a rather important point that I forgot is what is the max resolution of the monitor?

Actually a rather important point that I forgot is what is the max resolution of the monitor?

1680 x 1050 - 20 and 22 inch LCD.

If you need something from a brick and mortar store I would use peats instead of PC World, much better pricing.

As an 4800 series card the 4830 would be considerably more more power hungry, and on top of that also a bit below the performance level of the 4770. (despite its number the 4770 is it more closly related to the more frugal 5600/700 cards than the 4800s as it is based on the newer manufacturing process). The 5770 the next model up from a 5750 and there is a reasonable chance it could be beyond a no name 400W PSU.

No Peats in the UK - will check maybe Dixons or Currys to see if they have options.

1680 x 1050 - 20 and 22 inch LCD.

All thing considered I think the HD4770 is the ideal card if you can find it, will comfortable run on the PSU and it benches quite well in practically all games bar Crysis at that resolution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

isnt there a gts250 green edition doing the rounds?

EDIT: yeah
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-110-GW&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1402

still needs a pcie connector i think :/

PCI E Connector not a problem .... both my PSU have them.

Did the newer cards move away from them? What do they use now?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nah they didnt, sorry, heh. just they're trying to move to more energy efficient cards :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

You need to give us more information about both pc's esp your own pc!
    What psu do you have in your own pc and what components are in it?

For buying the gpu's you have many options if you're in the UK, places like overclockers.co.uk and ebuyer.com are very reasonable for next day delivery.

don't go to a retail store you'll spent way too much!

I'm also wondering what games you play on other pc as if the the old gpu did fine then you prob don't need more than 4650

Effluo wrote: »
    You need to give us more information about both pc's esp your own pc!
    What psu do you have in your own pc and what components are in it?

For buying the gpu's you have many options if you're in the UK, places like overclockers.co.uk and ebuyer.com are very reasonable for next day delivery.

don't go to a retail store you'll spent way too much!

I'm also wondering what games you play on other pc as if the the old gpu did fine then you prob don't need more than 4650

Well, as luck would have it my 8800 GTX has died and is no longer under warranty. While I used to be a hardcore gamer, I play less and less games nowadays ...

That said, I would like something at least similar or better to the GTX 8800 - wouldnt want to go backwards.

In my wife's PC there is a Jeantech 400W PSU running on my old AMD rig (X4200) iirc.

Mine has a Corsair 620W supply on a quad core intel Q9450 rig.

On the older PC (wife's PC) my sons play some Dark Crusade and some car driving games - nothing too serious or hectic but dont want to buy the cheapest stuff either for them.

That said - I think I would look at HD4770 for them and maybe similar or slightly better for my own - maybe HD5750.

I doubt Ill buy XFX again - thats 2 cards now from them that have had problems. The first gave issues since day one - this one has lasted a while but I think ill look at some other makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

HD4770 option?

Using a HD4650 on win7 and its top notch for the cheap price, 4770 is even a better choice :D

well both have pretty much the same power consumtion and the 5750 is a bit better performing.(not nearly worth the price though)

You can see comparisons here between the 5750 and the 4770

Not really sure what i'd get.
    Maybe a 4770 for your own pc(it's still better than an 8800) and then a 4670 for you wifes

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-184-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1274

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-200-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1434

You might think "oh the 4770 is too cheap for my pc", the thing is it's a great performer. Really the 5750 only costs what it costs due to it's DX11 and eyefinity. Neither of which you'll be making use of.

Always hear good things about Saphire cards(not sure how much it really matters) but it's handy that they're also the cheapest cards on the list!

review here of the 4770, but also includes references to the 4670 in the benchmarking
    http://www.techspot.com/review/163-radeon-hd-4770/page6.html

Effluo wrote: »
    well both have pretty much the same power consumtion and the 5750 is a bit better performing.(not nearly worth the price though)

You can see comparisons here between the 5750 and the 4770

Not really sure what i'd get.
    Maybe a 4770 for your own pc(it's still better than an 8800) and then a 4670 for you wifes

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-184-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1274

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-200-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1434

You might think "oh the 4770 is too cheap for my pc", the thing is it's a great performer. Really the 5750 only costs what it costs due to it's DX11 and eyefinity. Neither of which you'll be making use of.

Always hear good things about Saphire cards(not sure how much it really matters) but it's handy that they're also the cheapest cards on the list!

review here of the 4770, but also includes references to the 4670 in the benchmarking
    http://www.techspot.com/review/163-radeon-hd-4770/page6.html

Thanks - but the one link is for a 4730 ? ?

In fairness the 5750 is only £15 more ...

In fairness the 5750 is only £15 more ...

All we have given you is minimum good performance requirements :) (Excepting the PSU limits on your wifes PC)

Thanks - but the one link is for a 4730 ? ?

oopsies!

Sorry about that, the one you linked to would be the best 4770 then!

It's really whatever you like you won't go wrong with either.

• Advertisement

Amazing how the bar keeps moving. Its only a few quid more.

Currently up to a £220 5850 card for myself .... lol.

Advertisement