Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collections Officers

Options
  • 29-01-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Recently I had a collections officer, sent from one of the banks to approach me in connection with CC debt I accumulated. To say I nearly passed out on the spot was an understatement.

To cut a long story short, my card went into arrears. My salary was dropped significantly and I made it a priority to pay my mortgage and pay whatever I could off my other debts. Unfortunately the CC was the first to suffer.

I have since managed to get the card within its limits and have been paying it off regularly.

The person who approached me was unaware that I had made certain payments off this card. The information they had was not up to date.

Now this is where it all gets silly. I wanted this person to leave as it was out in an open area we were discussing this business for all and sundry to see so I stupidly made a commitment to pay a sum off the CC that I cannot pay.

Even though my CC is albeit up to date and I am making regular payments am I obliged to cough up this money that this collection person asked for?

My main concern is they will land at my door again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Was it a verbal commitment or did you sign something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Christine45

Absolutely not but they did write everything down that I told them.

All in all bizarre that their information was not up to date.

I should have asked them to leave there and then but you learn from mistakes and also I was caught unexpectedly.

Are these collections people employed directly by the bank or are they an outside source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

They're usually an outside source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I stupidly made a commitment to pay a sum off the CC that I cannot pay.

Once you are within the T&C's of your Credit Card, they cannot send a collection agency after you. It is clear his info was not up to date.

However, the collection agent will claim a fee for the amount he 'convinced' you to pay (that's how they make their money).

If the collection agent turns up tell him your account is in good order with the Credit Card company, and you are refusing to discuss it with a third party. If he gives you any grief, threats, etc etc just (1) ask to see the collectors ID... whether or not he shows it to you then (2) take out your phone and call your local Garda station and tell them you are being harassed.

The key point here is that if your account is in good standing with the CC company they have no right to send a debt collector. And the debt collector has no rights at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Christine45

The bank I was posting about was Halifax. The collections person told me that there was a lot of pressure coming from the UK to collect debts. In the past couple of weeks I busted my gut to get the card in order. I've since learned that the block on the card has been lifted and the card is open to use:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement