Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW GOLF MK5 Gearbox

• 29-01-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all.
    Just wondering if anyone has encountered the following problem before?

Ive just bought a 04 1.9TDi golf with 90k miles from a private seller. When test driving it, it was grand, no problems and we gave her a good testing, but since I`ve gotten it home a strange knocking noise has started up. It only happens when the car is idol and not in gear, it sounds like a hollow rubbing, its hard to discribe. When its driving its grand, or if you push the clutch in its grand, also you can feel the knocks if you barely appy pressure to the clutch. The auld lad recons its the bearing in the clutch. Any ideas? With 90k should i be expecting the clutch to be giving trouble. I dont think the fella ripped me off, seemed like a decent lad but should I be going back to him?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it is a private sale then you have no comeback I'm afraid, did you get a mechanic to check the car over before buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 davadee

The auld lad is a truck mechanic so he took a look at it, he`d be handy with deisel engine. He said it was fine, running well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I have the same car and had the same problem at around 85K miles. It was the dual mass flywheel gone. Known problem. Needed to get new flywheel and clutch. Can't remember what it cost but it could have been around €900 i think. Other than that, they're a great car.

How long from the start of the problem can you get out of this before its gives in. Spent a fair bit on the car 2 days ago so not really in a position to fork more cash. Anyone any idea how much the kit costs without labour costs?

No idea how much the kit cost, your best bet would be to ring the dealers. I was still driving my car for about 5 weeks before I got it fixed. I was in the same boat as you just had service done and then the flywheel went a week later. :mad:

• Advertisement

So it could be a case where it was fine when I test drove it last week but its gone now. Feckin sickening.
    Can it cause any longer term problems if its not done soon?
    Any other things i should look out for, heard the electics give a bit of trouble, ever had any problems there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭brennarr

Been looking to buy a similar car myself now. Can you ell me how much you paid for it? Cheers

Paid 6700 for it. I think i got a good deal, its a well kept car.

davadee wrote: »
    So it could be a case where it was fine when I test drove it last week but its gone now. Feckin sickening.
    Can it cause any longer term problems if its not done soon?
    Any other things i should look out for, heard the electics give a bit of trouble, ever had any problems there ?

Yes my car was perfect and well looked after. Just got a regular service and had no problems and then all of a sudden the following week the flywheel was making noise. I'm not a mechanic so I've no idea what problems it can cause in the long run. As for electrics, I've never had a problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

My understanding of DMFs is that they are basically a consumable item in modern diesels. Modern diesels now produce a lot more torque than 10 years ago say and this puts a lot of pressure on the gearbox. The DMF is there to cushion the torque spikes and thus protect the gearbox.
    Some people are now replacing them with single mass flywheels and while this is fine in the short term, surely it will lead to premature gearbox failure down the line (assuming there is sound engineering behind the inclusion of DMFs in the first place).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

True the DMF is designed to get fractionally more torque out of an engine/gearbox, however in my experience the hassle they cause when they go wrong results in my customers opting for solid replacement flywheels when they get them replaced. They cost a fraction of the price of the original, with no noticeable HP decrease, and you're guaranteed (providing the work is done correctly) not to have to fork out again for probablyas long as you own the car.
    Golf Mark V clutch replacement, including solid flywheel and labour, E600.

Advertisement