Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to do if you buy car (which have a lot problems)

• 29-01-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi. Can you make something if you buy a car and for example: was clocked,serious problem with brakes and seller just tell that because car wasnt use for one month ans its only air etc??

Car is from private person i think.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Need more info, put generally buying private you've no comeback.

Caveat Emptor is really needed when buying private. You need to do as many checks as possible before hand as afterwards there's not much you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

If its a private sale I'm afraid you've no comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wouldn't have too much hope about making the seller pay, really. The seller probably didn't know too much either. Have you had the car looked at? Brake problems aren't always that expensive to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

devil-80 wrote: »
    Hi. Can you make something if you buy a car and for example: was clocked,serious problem with brakes and seller just tell that because car wasnt use for one month ans its only air etc??

Thanks

Clocked - in theory yes, it is perfectly legal to modify the mileage on your car but you are obliged to inform the buyer. In practise its up to the buyer to prove that 1) it was clocked and 2) he wasn't told.

As for the rest - no chance if you don't have a warranty, and very little chance even if you do.

The only warranty thats worth anything is the manufacturer's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I bought a car myself yesterday through an independent dealer. It was my second time buying used car.. first time was from someone I knew.. got a cheap polo and it gave me almost three years of lots of driving.

This time got it from independent dealer.. and had it checked out by a company with a good name who just do vehicle inspections and got the go ahead from them to buy.

Lesson I learned is to go for a really damn good test drive beforehand, on all sorts of roads, that way you will know better than if you go half a mile.

After half an hour of driving I have found the clutch to be creaky and it needs to be looked at, the alignment of wheels may be off as there is a slight veer both right and left.

You will have no cover if you find problems after you buy, especially with private. So really really be 100% thorough.. second guess everything.
    Perhaps just buy from someone you know.. that could be the best advice of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pog it wrote: »
    Perhaps just buy from someone you know.. that could be the best advice of all.
    Or the worst.;)

+1 on the rest of your post, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Too late but I've checked history in UK (car was imported but registered in Ireland).

Didnt pass mot one time because of it:
    "Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate
    Offside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter split (2.5.C.1a)
    Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.D.1)
    **DANGEROUS**
    Advisory Notice issued
    Nearside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated (2.5.C.1a)
    Front wipers juddering and starting to smear
    Rear number plate starting to separate
    O/s/r tyre on 1.6mm"
    is that something really bad.
    Its good engine 1.9 tdi sport but i think Ill cost me a lot of money to make it perfect .
    Brakes are faulty because of broken brake calliper both at rear.Pass the NCT in January 2009 - just wonder how it was possible.

Just wonder how much was clocked only for my information because it was private seller (he said like that but car was register at his girlfriend so maybe he lie) anyway i dont have comeback so all what i can do is fix the car.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

devil-80 wrote: »

Thanks

when you say serious problem with breakes could it be a saftey issue

if there is an existing saftey issue with a car you have a case for recompensation even with a pivate seller

only saftey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2 split CV joint boots and bad tyres hardly make it a bad car. these things are easily fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

but the wioers are starting to smear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's nearly summer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

what to do if you buy car (which have a lot problems)

Get ya cylinder head checked

brakes can block from time to time (pedal making hard and can press it harder)at the begining is very soft.

What kind of car is it? Get a price for the work- it's all simple stuff that goes wrong with cars every day. That is except the calipers which might be easily reconditioned. How much did you pay for the car?

My guess is you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Just fix the car and get on with your life would be my advice.

The biggest problem is with finding good and honest car mechanic which tell me what exactly is wrong with car (it no problem to change everything but its no point).
    Car is Passat 03 tdi cost me 4800€ so nothing special-i think
    Beside that brakes is something wrong with rear shocks (need to be changed-I hear some noise when driving) and for my safety time belt and water pump. Ho ply turbo is fine and egr (but i dont feel that car is weak or something and there is no black smoke from exhaust).

Off course that ill try to fix this and get on with my life but all that's annoying me.

Thanks

You could Google the phone number you called when buying the car. Some "Garages/Traders" sell dodgy cars off pretending to be private sellers. If they have a few cars for sale then they are trading and you have some comeback, but it's a lot of hassle to try and get satisfaction.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You could Google the phone number you called when buying the car. Some "Garages/Traders" sell dodgy cars off pretending to be private sellers. If they have a few cars for sale then they are trading and you have some comeback, but it's a lot of hassle to try and get satisfaction.

My brother once took a guy to court after buying a badly repaired van and lost. There were wrong parts fitted that had consequential effects. I suppose the reasoning is that if you buy it on the basis of it being a private sale, then it's a private sale...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote: »
    My brother once took a guy to court after buying a badly repaired van and lost. There were wrong parts fitted that had consequential effects. I suppose the reasoning is that if you buy it on the basis of it being a private sale, then it's a private sale...

+1

Private sale = no comeback. Unless you were lied to. I.e. the previous owner clocked it but didn't tell you (implicit lie) or the previous owner crashed it but when asked by the new owner did he ever crash, denied it (explicit lie). It's up to the new owner to prove this, which will be impossible in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

In Finland there is a saying: When rear lights disappear behind the corner, warranty ends.

I always remember that when buying cars from private sellers and it is not really more complicated than that. If you don't like the idea then don't buy from private seller.

cantdecide wrote: »

As I said it can be hassle, but traders shouldn't be selling cars as private sales.

Even if they sell it Sold As Seen you have a comeback. They shouldn't be doing private and trade sales, they are either a punter selling their own car or they are trading in cars. They can't chose to go private for sh!t boxes and trade for decent cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

itarumaa wrote: »
    In Finland there is a saying: When rear lights disappear behind the corner, warranty ends.

I always remember that when buying cars from private sellers and it is not really more complicated than that. If you don't like the idea then don't buy from private seller.
    The Flip side is you will get a car in a private sale for 20% - 30% less than the dealer price. Even after fixing up any bits and pieces that need it, you will usually still come out ahead.

Plus (cynic hat on) a dealer will have tricks to hide various faults, a private seller won't know how.

Gurgle wrote: »
    The Flip side is you will get a car in a private sale for 20% - 30% less than the dealer price. Even after fixing up any bits and pieces that need it, you will usually still come out ahead.

Plus (cynic hat on) a dealer will have tricks to hide various faults, a private seller won't know how.

You treat both private and dealer as it they are trying to screw you till you've had all your checks done and are happy with the price and know all the faults. The only difference between a private sale and dealer is that you have some come back and a limited warranty from a dealer, until the deal is done treat both the same.

Advertisement