Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu overheating help

Options
  • 29-01-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I am having problems with a custom built machine i keep getting blue screens during gaming so i installed new drivers for graphic card.

I then said i would stress test the computer so i did a memtest86 with 15 passes no fails.

Then with OCCT i ran a test on the graphic card and it passed.

But when i ran a power supply test or cpu test in comes back with cpu too hot.

Processor intel core 2 quad Q8300 2.5ghz with stock heat sink and fan
    Motherboard GA-EP43-UD3L
    4 GB G Skill pc2 8500 (2 x 2GB)
    ATI radeon HD 4870 512mb
    500GB western digital hard drive
    630 AXP power supply
    Coolermater Elite 330 case

Can anyone let me know what i can do to stop the too hot cpu problem.

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Reseat your heatsink with some new thermal paste

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

thanks was going to try that. Is there any setting in bios i should look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Not really, you could try turning on intels throtteling in the bios, or you could try undervolting, but that could make it unstable too. But when gaming the support for running the cpu at lower clocks will not work as the cpu will be stressed and run at its full speed. The only other option would be to upgrade the hsf for a better unit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What said the CPU was too hot? And what temp did it actually display? The Q8300 may be a quad but its not a particularly hot quad, or indeed hot CPU... stock HSF rarely ever has a problem with cooling one so there must be an issue somewhere...

Advertisement