Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on a 2007 focus

• 29-01-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a 2007 ford focus zetec 50km price is rougly €11500.

If anyone has advice or anything to look out for befor i buy it would be great cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Petrol or Diesel? Engine size? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

For not much more you would pick up a 2008 diesel in the UK, far better bet to be on the new tax system and a fine car to drive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Best buy is a Zetec Connection. Rare enough, but comes with lots of extra goodies as standard - auto lights, wipers, rear view mirror. Keyless entry, bluetooth, voice control over radio, cd etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Price seems a bit of the high side, I'd try and squeeze a bit more out of them.

Also I wouldn't bother with the 1.4 litre petrol as it is really gutless in the Focus, minimum you should be looking at is the 1.6 litre. Here is a nice higher spec Ghia model with the 115bhp direct injection petrol engine for less money:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200906191763642

Or if you are going for the Zetec try and find one with the Connection Pack, this includes keyless entry, bluetooth, climate control, 17" alloy wheels, auto lights & wipers and electric windows allround. It was only a €500 upgrade at the time and there are plenty of them around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    ...Here is a nice higher spec Ghia model with the 115bhp direct injection petrol engine for less money:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200906191763642

Sorry to be pedantic but it's not a direct injection engine. It's a TI-VCT unit with twin independant variable cam timing.

I'm driving one in a Fiesta Zetec S currently, and it's very good.

This made my head spin.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

sorry men't to say it's the 1.4 petrol, i have heard about them being under powered, but kinda have to watch the price and engin size as i am only 20 with full licence, so have to factor in the insurance cost.

cheers for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

My girlfriend has the 1.4 version and while it can be a little underpowered I wouldn't fault it much. Its a very nice car to drive and has been very reliable to date and almost 90k miles on it. For a 20 year old I'd recommend it no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

9000 would be a fairer price to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 willham

I have my eye on a 07 1.4 petrol (with the connection pack) for around €11.5k. Is the 1.4 really not strong enough?

It's ok if performance isn't your thing. It picks up steadily and cleanly, but just none too quickly.

1.6 is quite a bit better if it fits your bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

willham wrote: »
    I have my eye on a 07 1.4 petrol (with the connection pack) for around €11.5k. Is the 1.4 really not strong enough?

Thats a rip off I think. Must be pretty low mileage

It's ok if performance isn't your thing. It picks up steadily and cleanly, but just none too quickly.

1.6 is quite a bit better if it fits your bill.

Well I'm not a speed freak by any stretch of the imagination, but at the same time I don't want to be stuck with a car that can't overtake!

willham wrote: »
    Well I'm not a speed freak by any stretch of the imagination, but at the same time I don't want to be stuck with a car that can't overtake!

In that case why not drive both 1.4 and 1.6 and see which suits your needs better.

In that case why not drive both 1.4 and 1.6 and see which suits your needs better.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you must go for a 1.4 Focus, a friend of the wife's has just put hers up for sale.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/07/52959607.html

Looks pretty good in the pictures, and last time I saw it, it looked good.

Advertisement